Jump to content

The Ralph Hasenhuttl Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it is his team, 

KWP, Salisu, Perraud, Livramento, Diallo, Walcott, Djenepo, Adams, Armstrong, Broja

+ New CB & Tella (brought into the team under him)

We will have almost an entire starting line up every game brought in under Ralph.  That is his team.

It's not quite though is it? Still has a GK without the skills he needs, Bednarek, Redmond and even Romeu probably don't start in his ideal system.

As I said it's getting there but your line up is 2 or 3 injuries away from having to start with a large percentage of players he inherited.

Football is a squad game.

Before Ducky starts rambling on about me being part of Ralph's cult I'm not making excuses for him, it's just how it is. We have rarely had a manager who has stayed long enough to build their own team or squad or whatever. Closest to this in recent times was probably Koeman because of the mass clear out but he still had a reasonable amount of inherited players by the end although most of them were a lot better than the dross Ralph was handed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It's not quite though is it? Still has a GK without the skills he needs, Bednarek, Redmond and even Romeu probably don't start in his ideal system.

As I said it's getting there but your line up is 2 or 3 injuries away from having to start with a large percentage of players he inherited.

Football is a squad game.

Before Ducky starts rambling on about me being part of Ralph's cult I'm not making excuses for him, it's just how it is. We have rarely had a manager who has stayed long enough to build their own team or squad or whatever. Closest to this in recent times was probably Koeman because of the mass clear out but he still had a reasonable amount of inherited players by the end although most of them were a lot better than the dross Ralph was handed.

 

I am unsure any manager ever really has his own side, unless they stay for 5+ years.  Even then, that is a huge ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Cat said:

It's not quite though is it? Still has a GK without the skills he needs, Bednarek, Redmond and even Romeu probably don't start in his ideal system.

As I said it's getting there but your line up is 2 or 3 injuries away from having to start with a large percentage of players he inherited.

Football is a squad game.

Before Ducky starts rambling on about me being part of Ralph's cult I'm not making excuses for him, it's just how it is. We have rarely had a manager who has stayed long enough to build their own team or squad or whatever. Closest to this in recent times was probably Koeman because of the mass clear out but he still had a reasonable amount of inherited players by the end although most of them were a lot better than the dross Ralph was handed.

 

I can't agree with your couple of posts on this. Sure the GK isn't Ralph's pick, but 3 of the back 4 are, Diallo is his player and JWP is his kind of player, and I think all the 10's and forwards are as well. This is more Ralph's team than an inherited team, and there can be no more excuses for  Ralph if this team does badly. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it is his team, 

KWP, Salisu, Perraud, Livramento, Diallo, Walcott, Djenepo, Adams, Armstrong, Broja

+ New CB & Tella (brought into the team under him)

We will have almost an entire starting line up every game brought in under Ralph.  That is his team.

Only 2-3 of those players would have been starters last season though - KWP, maybe perraud, and one of Adams/Armstrong.

He's had to assemble the squad he has whilst being in a terrible financial situation with limited resources - having to shift high wage dead wood, and selling to release funds to buy. Those players above were largely all signed as promising young players that could develop into first team players / starters - and he's had to (and still is) managing the transition.

To get to this point, he's/we've had to sell/shift;

Ings, Vestergard, Bertrand, Cedric, Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo, Gunn, Hojberg, Reed, Yoshida, Boufal, Target, Austin, Clasie, Austin, Gallagher, Davis.

Plus we still have Ely 😅

And listing your signings above;
KWP, Salisu, Perraud, Livramento, Diallo, Walcott, Djenepo, Adams, Armstrong, Broja

Not to mention he's had to keep team cohesion with that level of churn - as well as totally changing our style of football from the puel/mope/hughes days.

So yeah, its his team.... But fair play to him for keeping us in the league and out of relegation scraps i'd say - we have been chronically mismanaged before him and he's barely had a pot to piss in.

I'm sure he'd love a good goalkeeper - but fortunately forster and Macca are capable and certainly not as useless as players like Hoedt/boufal/lemina etc for saints.
 

Like i said before, he doesn't have many places to hide this season. But we're certainly a work in progress, and i for one will judge him with the knowledge that he's assembled the team he has on one of the lowest net budgets in the league.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it is his team, 

KWP, Salisu, Perraud, Livramento, Diallo, Walcott, Djenepo, Adams, Armstrong, Broja

+ New CB & Tella (brought into the team under him)

We will have almost an entire starting line up every game brought in under Ralph.  That is his team.

Well not quite. This is nowhere near our starting XI yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's one of the longest serving managers in the league for flip's sake.

He's had two entire seasons plus over half a season when he started. 

His third summer pre-season. All that time to bed-in, get his ideas across.

It is his team, 100% his team.

When you're Southampton manager that does not mean you get everything your way. It doesn't mean you hand pick your entire squad disregarding the rest. It doesn't mean you get resources x infinity. You don't get to walk in and create a blank sheet of paper. You're the Southampton manager. Here are the cards you've been dealt. Play.

100% his team.

Funny really, if he does brilliantly and we are top six by November, I wonder how many people making pre-excuses now will be saying "weeeelllll, that success not really actually down to him because its not his goalie and Romeu and Armstrong were here before he arrived, and Elyounoussi is still here".

I'll tell you how many: none.

I'll tell you my position.

We do great and finish top 8 = 100% down to Ralph.

We do dogshit and bottom three by Christmas = 100% down to Ralph.

That's fair, isn't it?

 

 

 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

People are too simplistic about this sort of thing. It will depend on what the issues are. We will look at specifically what's going wrong and then consider who is to blame based off that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Even if the squad  contained 100% of players signed by Ralph, the cult will probably point out that Ralph had no part  in cutting the grass or the paint colour in the dressing room.

Pony what’s this cult business have a word with yourself!

How old are you Ffs

Edited by Give it to Ron
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Pony what’s this cult business have a word with yourself!

How old are you Ffs

The "cult" is simply people who support the team.... Absolute weirdos apparently 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m finally getting on the change train, Ralph out. Good first half but second half a repeat of the last 6 months. Obvious some of the players were tiring and no excuses today about injuries or weak bench, yet bottles making a sub and Benitez totally had his number.

If they won’t sack RH, Gary Cahill as player-coach and Ralph upstairs as DoF. I saw enough talent to stay up but needs organisation and pro activity.

As for starting McCarthy after the Bilbao horror show….

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing has changed with him.  He remains unable to respond to an opposition manager making changes (HT?) to the game.  He is all about 4222, if it works, great. Since xmas, it routinely does not.  he also has complete blind spots with players.

Our defence is woeful, but he has to set us up to be hard to beat.  Which never ever happens.  I remember when we were on a terrible run under Koeman (nothing like RH has served up) and Ronald went into the Everton home game with a different system, shook up the starting line up and we won.

I maintain that he will not be our manager come end of the season.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothings changed.

Never uses subs as an advantage and it’s plain to see that we needed to freshen it up before they scored the second.

I personally would of taken Walcott off after 60 minutes and replaced with Tella.

Armstrong on for Armstrong as he run himself into the ground, Walker-Peters for Tino (knackered) and I would of sent Redmond to Tesco’s to get some strawberries.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not quite in the calling for his head category. There's so much positive as the first half showed. However it does my head in his stubborn refusal to make a sub until we are behind. AT 1-1 it was so obvious next goal was huge. Benitez makes a change. Ralph has a lie down and waits for Everton to score.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a manager problem. It's not a coincidence, the repeated second half collapses, the repeated inability to hold a lead, the repeated defensive disorganisation, the repeated lack of subs or tactical intervention when the game has turned against us.

It keeps happening - and it will continue to keep on happening - because the manager is a busted flush. He hasn't got a clue how to fix our shortcomings because they're his shortcomings too.

Nice bloke, but he's been drowning since the start of the year while his fan club has dreamed up multiple excuses as to why he bears no responsibility for the fortunes of his team.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

We know he'll never learn so we either accept many more days like today or the board does something about it. Either replacing him or bringing in support.

 

Regarding the squad, even if he doesn't have his ideal players, a good manager adapts and finds a way to get the best out of what they have.

Edited by Disco Stu
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, qwertyell said:

This is a manager problem. It's not a coincidence, the repeated second half collapses......

 

I posted this on the post match meltdown;

( By my reckoning - including today, looking at second half performances ).....

Since we beat Sheff Utd 3-0 on 13th December we have played 27 league games. In those games we have "won" the second half 5 times, and "lost" it 15 times. Of 8 games we had been leading at half time we went on to win 3, draw 2, and lose 3. Of 8 games we were drawing at half time we went on win 2, draw 3, and lose 3. We lost all 11 of the games where we were behind at half time.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Same old issue, we have a manner wedded to a system that does not work, our two no tens very seldom offer much in a game, and a manager that gets out thought most games, other managers see what we are doing first half them change to combat this and he never respond till it's too late.

Get rid now.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

This is a manager problem. It's not a coincidence, the repeated second half collapses, the repeated inability to hold a lead, the repeated defensive disorganisation, the repeated lack of subs or tactical intervention when the game has turned against us.

It keeps happening - and it will continue to keep on happening - because the manager is a busted flush. He hasn't got a clue how to fix our shortcomings because they're his shortcomings too.

Nice bloke, but he's been drowning since the start of the year while his fan club has dreamed up multiple excuses as to why he bears no responsibility for the fortunes of his team.

 

Hard not to agree with this. I said earlier in the thread he will be gone before November. I hope I'm wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

Same old issue, we have a manner wedded to a system that does not work, our two no tens very seldom offer much in a game, and a manager that gets out thought most games, other managers see what we are doing first half them change to combat this and he never respond till it's too late.

Get rid now.

The system needs good players and we don't have enough of them. Results will force the board's hand eventually but the outcome looks inevitable based on this performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

The system needs good players and we don't have enough of them. Results will force the board's hand eventually but the outcome looks inevitable based on this performance.

But every manager tries to play to the strengths of what they have at their disposal, yet Ralph tries to shoehorn players into a system that hasn’t worked at all for 6 months!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

But every manager tries to play to the strengths of what they have at their disposal, yet Ralph tries to shoehorn players into a system that hasn’t worked at all for 6 months!

So either he changes the system, or we buy the players needed, or he goes. 

Edited by gordonToo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Too stubborn and inflexible. Time to go Ralph!

He was found out in January and has not changed anything since. Piece of piss to play us. Teams know that they can conserve energy in the first half and then either:

a) apply some second half pressure and we’ll fold like a cheap suit

or

b) just wait for us to totally implode and gift them a goal or three

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

So either he changes the system, or we buy the players needed, or he goes. 

Well, we have been purchasing new players, so I assume they are ones he wants. So if it still doesn’t work after a handful of games, or so, then he has to go, if he wont change system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

This is a manager problem. It's not a coincidence, the repeated second half collapses, the repeated inability to hold a lead, the repeated defensive disorganisation, the repeated lack of subs or tactical intervention when the game has turned against us.

It keeps happening - and it will continue to keep on happening - because the manager is a busted flush. He hasn't got a clue how to fix our shortcomings because they're his shortcomings too.

Nice bloke, but he's been drowning since the start of the year while his fan club has dreamed up multiple excuses as to why he bears no responsibility for the fortunes of his team.

 

Time to make way for someone who can actually manage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralph: "I did think about changing but the players found the way they were playing in the first half - but we needed a goal. I wanted to change ten mins after HT but we showed that we were back in the game. The wrong changes can make it worse."

He sounds confused, like he doesn’t know what to do, and cant do the basics at the moment. Pretty concerning.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Ralph: "I did think about changing but the players found the way they were playing in the first half - but we needed a goal. I wanted to change ten mins after HT but we showed that we were back in the game. The wrong changes can make it worse."

He sounds confused, like he doesn’t know what to do, and cant do the basics at the moment. Pretty concerning.

Clown. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, St.JonB said:

Think I've moved into the Ralph Out camp. His inability to change tactics or make positive subs is wearing very thin.  😡 

I think I’m getting closer to that camp as well. Strange team selections, usual ineffective subs and being out thought by the opposition manager.

Making the same mistakes time and time again is the definition of madness

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Ralph: "I did think about changing but the players found the way they were playing in the first half - but we needed a goal. I wanted to change ten mins after HT but we showed that we were back in the game. The wrong changes can make it worse."

He sounds confused, like he doesn’t know what to do, and cant do the basics at the moment. Pretty concerning.

Really bizarre. What’s the point of deepening the squad if he doesn’t trust any of his subs to have a positive impact or his own ability to make a change.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

His threatening words after West Ham last season appear to either indicate he's incapable of addressing the issue despite recognising it or the players aren't reacting to his coaching.  Either way it reflects badly on on him.  A reminder:

Quote

"We don't have to discuss it. This is definitely not Premier League [standard].

"We've conceded the second-most goals in the Premier League. We have to change massively, otherwise it'll be about relegation again [next season.]"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

This is a manager problem. It's not a coincidence, the repeated second half collapses, the repeated inability to hold a lead, the repeated defensive disorganisation, the repeated lack of subs or tactical intervention when the game has turned against us.

It keeps happening - and it will continue to keep on happening - because the manager is a busted flush. He hasn't got a clue how to fix our shortcomings because they're his shortcomings too.

Nice bloke, but he's been drowning since the start of the year while his fan club has dreamed up multiple excuses as to why he bears no responsibility for the fortunes of his team.

 

The second half collapses are something that happened well before Ralph. Problem is he’s unable to change that.

The biggest problem is the club - it’s been stale and shite for years. The second biggest problem is the manager is unable to fix it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Ralph: "I did think about changing but the players found the way they were playing in the first half - but we needed a goal. I wanted to change ten mins after HT but we showed that we were back in the game. The wrong changes can make it worse."

He sounds confused, like he doesn’t know what to do, and cant do the basics at the moment. Pretty concerning.

Classic paralysis by analysis.

The game is a simple one and it’s often keeping momentum or disrupting another team’s momentum that wins games. He needs to be smarter and have courage in his convictions. Theo was ineffective so there’s no harm swapping him out, he can just quickly chat with Theo and just tell him he’s saving him for other games. Unleash a hungry Armstrong who’s probably a bit pissed off about not making the starting XI. It’s well worth the risk. 

No one is asking him to make a crazy three sub change but to realize we were getting overrun and perhaps adjust the shape to contain the other team and give a mis-firing player a break and get someone on with a point to prove.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I think I’m getting closer to that camp as well. Strange team selections, usual ineffective subs and being out thought by the opposition manager.

Making the same mistakes time and time again is the definition of madness

I've said all along that he needs to prove himself in the first 10 or so games of this season. This was not a good start

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Classic paralysis by analysis.

The game is a simple one and it’s often keeping momentum or disrupting another team’s momentum that wins games. He needs to be smarter and have courage in his convictions. Theo was ineffective so there’s no harm swapping him out, he can just quickly chat with Theo and just tell him he’s saving him for other games. Unleash a hungry Armstrong who’s probably a bit pissed off about not making the starting XI. It’s well worth the risk. 

No one is asking him to make a crazy three sub change but to realize we were getting overrun and perhaps adjust the shape to contain the other team and give a mis-firing player a break and get someone on with a point to prove.

Exactly. It’s hardly as if Benitez gambled by going extra attacking. He just did the basic and freshened a winger and that sub set up the winner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Really bizarre. What’s the point of deepening the squad if he doesn’t trust any of his subs to have a positive impact or his own ability to make a change.

I agree - last season I could understand as our bench was pretty pants, but this season it is his first 11 and his subs on the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I agree - last season I could understand as our bench was pretty pants, but this season it is his first 11 and his subs on the bench.

Loads of “interesting possibilities” too 

Tella, Armstrong (either in place of Romeu/JWP, or Walcott/Djenepo), or go nuts and put in KWP and move Timo further up the field. Heck he could have even made it one up top with 3 lines of 3 behind it to hit them on the break and win back the middle of the park.

Nah, he just sat on his hands and waited until we were losing.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, JWP isn’t match fit. He’s not good enough to walk straight back in. Sends a shitty message to the others too.

We have the backups to bring him back in gradually. He was blowing out of his arse 10 minutes in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})