Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

47 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Rather Frank Lampard personally as he is an attraction for players plus has a go with his substutions.

Lampard wouldn’t come here, he’s one of those managers who will want money to spend, especially given he needs to re-establish himself after getting the sack at Chelsea. 
Howe would be the obvious choice - he wouldn’t have to move away from Poole which seems to loom large, and he’s used to penny pinching. I’m not sure I would want him, he’s another stubborn bugger who has his favourites and no plan B.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Lampard wouldn’t come here, he’s one of those managers who will want money to spend, especially given he needs to re-establish himself after getting the sack at Chelsea. 
Howe would be the obvious choice - he wouldn’t have to move away from Poole which seems to loom large, and he’s used to penny pinching. I’m not sure I would want him, he’s another stubborn bugger who has his favourites and no plan B.

Agree with that, although Lampard did ok, he would want shed loads of money to try and get this lot competitive. Howe is the obvious choice as you rightly say. Am not totally convinced by him either, but at least he would bring in some fresh ideas.

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agree with that, although Lampard did ok, he would want shed loads of money to try and get this lot competitive. Howe is the obvious choice as you rightly say. Am not totally convinced by him either, but at least he would bring in some fresh ideas.

Just look at the way Tuchel instantly improved Chelsea when he took over from Lampard's shambles. It's a no from me

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think people need to realise that any manager would struggle with the limitations that this club have. 

He's doing plenty wrong but when the alternatives being thrown around are Howe, Lampard and god forbid Allardyce, maybe it's time to take a breather. 

I'm no real fan of Howe, but I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have been out thought tacitally by Benetiz.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Just look at the way Tuchel instantly improved Chelsea when he took over from Lampard's shambles. It's a no from me

To be fair though, we are operating at a totally different level to Chelsea. Am not saying I would want Lampard here, but tactically he would be more aware than Ralph seems to be. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Based on absolutely nothing.

You think? All it was effectively was a simple change in formation which Ralph failed to recognise. Or if he did was too stubborn to do anything about. If the fans can see it, why can't a professional manager see it? It happens all the time. JWP was clearly unfit, he should have been off before they got the second goal, or not have even started. Good managers react to situations. Walcott should have been off at the same time. The guy spent all summer bigging up Tella, but doesn't start him. We had the strongest bench we have had for sometime, and yet the subs were still not made until we were 2-1 down. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'm no real fan of Howe, but I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have been out thought tacitally by Benetiz.

Ralph wasn’t tactically outthought. Once again first half was good then it was down to the same players making the same mistakes and losing the game. Yes Ralph should had made changes, Walcott was pretty awful so Armstrong or Tella on, that’s on him. As is picking the players who keep making mistakes. after w conceded a pathetic goal we got back on top then conceded two more to throw the game away, they won by not doing anything more than basic stuff as we can’t defend,
But let’s not make out it was some tactical masterclass from Benitez which bamboozled the manager, we lost the games because of the same players doing what they’ve done for years along with a lack of leadership on the pitch, something else he’s had plenty of time to address but hasn’t.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

There’s a lot of managers out thought tactically by Rafa, there’s no shame in that. However, bring tactically out thought by every single fucking manager, pretty much every single fucking game , a different matter. People deride Fat Sam for his 4-4-fucking 2, but this bloke is just as inflexible, just as stuck in his ways as any of the old school managers. FFS nothing  changed after the pathetic end to last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Ralph wasn’t tactically outthought. Once again first half was good then it was down to the same players making the same mistakes and losing the game. Yes Ralph should had made changes, Walcott was pretty awful so Armstrong or Tella on, that’s on him. As is picking the players who keep making mistakes. But let’s not make out it was some tactical masterclass from Benitez which bamboozled the manager, we lost the games because of the same players doing what they’ve done for years along with a lack of leadership on the pitch, something else he’s had plenty of time to address but hasn’t.

Maybe out thought wasn't the correct term, but it was a switch from Benetiz that Ralph failed to deal with, yet again. I just don't understand if we as fans can spot the changes, why isn't Ralph able to spot them and react to them? If he doesn't spot them, what are the other guys on the bench doing for 90 minutes??

The stats aren't promising for Ralph. Its the lack of passion, determination and strength his team has that worries me. I've always felt our teams under him to be weak, both physically and (particularly) mentally.

This isn't a quick fix, it takes a culture shift led by a new manager.

• Like 3

I’m not yet Ralph Out, but I 100% believe this season is make or break for him. All excuses are gone now. 

Deadwood players are gone so the wage bill is healthier.

We got decent money for Ings and Vestergaard so can sign players he wants, in addition to those he has recruited already. 

He has had enough time to establish is system and ideas and train / develop the squad. 

He has plenty of experience in the EPL, so knows what’s needed.

What other excuses are there?

Squad depth? He doesn’t use them.

Squad quality? He chose them and trains them.

Back room staff? He chose them or has decided to keep them, and has added names. 

If he and his back room staff can’t make his system work with his players, it’s his fault and he should go. If he can, he gets the credit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Lampard has a pad in Poole (well, Studland to be precise….)

13 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So has Tony Pullis, and I wouldn’t want him either. Does it matter where they live? If a manager only wants a job because it’s local, I’m not sure he’s what we want 

Probably doesn’t matter. Pretty nomadic industry, football.

Lampard didn’t move much in his playing career, so not having to uproot family might be a bigger deal for him than somebody like Pochettino, who was quite happy for his family to live in a different country while he managed in England.

I don’t think Lampard would want to work for us though.

Edited by Pat from Poole

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Got to give him a few more games at least, if we sacked our managers every time we lost at Goodson we would have a pretty rapid turnaround. We actually played better than I thought we would today by the sound of it.

Isn’t that half the problem though? We do play some decent stuff but we are so pathetically weak defensively that it’s all a bit pointless. If we were just shit it would probably be a bit easier to swallow but we’re not, first half today we were good. Then another error got them back in the game, handed them the momentum and it was the same old story. Same story same mistakes over and over again. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Isn’t that half the problem though? We do play some decent stuff but we are so pathetically weak defensively that it’s all a bit pointless. If we were just shit it would probably be a bit easier to swallow but we’re not, first half today we were good. Then another error got them back in the game, handed them the momentum and it was the same old story. Same story same mistakes over and over again. 

Exhibit number 5,675,865 of this exact same thing happening under Ralph, would love to see points per game 1st half vs 2nd half under Ralph. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Got to give him a few more games at least, if we sacked our managers every time we lost at Goodson we would have a pretty rapid turnaround. We actually played better than I thought we would today by the sound of it.

That’s what irks me the most. I think the team is easily good enough to be in that 10th-14th pocket but Ralph sabotages nearly every game with either bizarre selections (McCarthy, Theo etc) or stands like a deer in the headlights when we are getting overrun. 

When will he get it into his thick skull that even the most well drilled team still needs a tweak here or there during the game.

• Like 1

I’m a little flabbergasted how we are having exactly the same conversations on here as we have been for months and still some people think RH will turn it around. He won’t and if we are to survive then a change will be needed. For me this will happen before the international break in November - if it doesn’t we’ll be cut adrift.

12 hours ago, TWar said:

We played a good first half and threw it away with individual errors against a good side. The meltdown was predictable but still not worthy of suggesting things like bringing in Big Sam or Eddie Howe

You’ll defend him until the cow come home. Playing well for a half just isn’t good enough. Something clearly isn’t working. Defensively he’s clueless. 

He may and probably will go on to be a decent manager for someone else, but with our squad, he’s not the right man. 

The club are balls deep into Ralph, they won’t want to pull the trigger, but sooner rather than later they’ll have to. I’m giving him 9 more games, if that. 

Time must be running out for him. It's a miracle he survived last season. He doesn't help himself with the bizarre selections from yesterday. I want him to do well but this year has been dire, and it's difficult to see him turning things around, which is partly due to the resources available. A lot of it hinges on who we sign at CB, 

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

I’m a little flabbergasted how we are having exactly the same conversations on here as we have been for months and still some people think RH will turn it around. He won’t and if we are to survive then a change will be needed. For me this will happen before the international break in November - if it doesn’t we’ll be cut adrift.

Yep. My position is the same as last season. He's a one trick pony. He sets teams up well. The opposition adapt to it. He has no idea what to do next. We lose. 

Giving him chance after chance isn't going to change anything. 

Just now, egg said:

Yep. My position is the same as last season. He's a one trick pony. He sets teams up well. The opposition adapt to it. He has no idea what to do next. We lose. 

Giving him chance after chance isn't going to change anything. 

Agreed. He should have been sacked last season. 13 out of 14 losses on the road this year. He is tactically naive to put it nicely. I was laughing before the season started reading some of the optimistic comments on here from some of the happy clappers. Not sure there is any reason for optimism - Ralph has certainly not changed or improved or learnt any lessons from the dreadful performances he served us up last year. 

Starting Walcott was a clear sign he has lost the plot.... He's been piss poor for ages and nowhere near a premier League player yet he started.  Ralph must have had input in the signing of him too letting sentimentality take over, can see him sticking with him too as in Ralph's mafia club once your in your in! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Continues to baffle me with team selections, tactics and substitutions.  I’m afraid waiting 11 games is delaying the inevitable.

He is shite and we need better.

Maybe it is just stubbornness and tactical naivety.

I can't understand why he doesn't seem to expect the opposition to counter his set up in the second half of games and then have any counter measures of his own to call upon. Other teams do it for heavens sake.

Maybe he'll see the light after yesterday's debacle but I'm not holding my breath.

17 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Maybe it is just stubbornness and tactical naivety.

I can't understand why he doesn't seem to expect the opposition to counter his set up in the second half of games and then have any counter measures of his own to call upon. Other teams do it for heavens sake.

Maybe he'll see the light after yesterday's debacle but I'm not holding my breath.

Since we beat Sheff Utd on 13th December, ( 27 matches ), we have taken 9 points from the 18 games where we were not leading at half time. 2 wins, 3 draws, and 13 defeats. We have held onto a half time lead to win just 3 times in the same period. In the 11 matches where we were behind at half time we have failed to take a single point.

Under Ralph we simply don't do second halves. That has to be down to him.

16 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Since we beat Sheff Utd on 13th December, ( 27 matches ), we have taken 9 points from the 18 games where we were not leading at half time. 2 wins, 3 draws, and 13 defeats. We have held onto a half time lead to win just 3 times in the same period. In the 11 matches where we were behind at half time we have failed to take a single point.

Yerah, a coincidence lasts maybe three or four games, not 27, thats when incompetence tends to take over. 

28 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

That's even worse than I thought and the obvious weakness areas of GK and CB have still not been addressed. Watching Stephens trailing in behind Calvert-Lewin for yesterday's 3rd makes me almost despair.

Edited by gordonToo
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl