Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

18 hours ago, Turkish said:

Regression. A cup final and an 8th placed finish when you had 3 of your best players sold in the summer, another sold in January and the best centre half in the league out for half a season? Okay then. 

Listen, I was one of the ones that said we should give him another season at the time, but yes our performances went backwards under Puel compared to the last few seasons under Koeman and Poch. We finished 17 points worse off compared to the previous season, 15 points off the team just above us in 7th and the points tally we finished on would have seen us in 13th the season before and 10th the season after. It was also the lowest amount of goals we'd scored since coming back up, including our first season back. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

43 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Listen, I was one of the ones that said we should give him another season at the time, but yes our performances went backwards under Puel compared to the last few seasons under Koeman and Poch. We finished 17 points worse off compared to the previous season, 15 points off the team just above us in 7th and the points tally we finished on would have seen us in 13th the season before and 10th the season after. It was also the lowest amount of goals we'd scored since coming back up, including our first season back. 

Yep and like I said that was because 3 of our best players were sold that summer. We replaced our two top scorers, Mane and Pelle with Austin (who only played 15 league games that season due to injury), Redmond and Boufal. Then he went from having one of the best centre back pairings in Europe in the first half of the season to the worst in the premier league from January. It’s no wonder we finished 17 point worse off. Imagine the excuses people would make from Ralph under those circumstances, instead all we get is boring Claude didn’t do as well as Koeman and Pochetino 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

Ralph certainly seems to have become more pro active in recent weeks. Better use of subs and more flexible tactics.

For about 15 minutes before half time yesterday we were playing like this:

----------------Macca-------------

---Bednarek---Romeu---Salisu---

Tino-------JWP-------Moi------KWP

-----Armstrong-------Redmond----

---------------Adams---------------

I'm still not convinced by some of his starting selections but now he actually has more than one full back on each side and some options up front it will hopefully help his confidence. I'm convinced some of the touchline inertia has just been a mental block caused by fear of failing. Let's hope we can win on Tuesday and in the upcoming home league matches and build a decent base away from the bottom 3. 

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Would we take Koeman if he becomes available?

I love Ralph, but probably. Koeman is absolute class. My only apprehension is the team is built around Ralph and we would be causing a pretty big disruption for such a mercenary manager who will up and leave as soon as a bigger project becomes available.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes as we've been linked with Steve Cooper and also reported that Eddie Howe is holding out for the saints job. Maybe it's just speculation but who knows. 

What’s it been, something like 5 wins in nearly 30 games, now? I’d say it’s only Natural that we’d be looking at alternative players. 

Yes, defensively we’ve improved this season, but we don’t / haven’t really looked like winning a game this season (I guess natural when you lose a striker of Ings quality). 

We seemingly either are good going forward and pathetic at the back or vice Versa.. there is no real balance to his teams. 

I loved koeman and he done a fantastic job with the Netherlands as well after us, but I don’t think we have the squad for him to take over now. 

13 minutes ago, TWar said:

I love Ralph, but probably. Koeman is absolute class. My only apprehension is the team is built around Ralph and we would be causing a pretty big disruption for such a mercenary manager who will up and leave as soon as a bigger project becomes available.

Koeman did well for us last time by taking over from a high pressing manager and just tweaking things a bit, so he could repeat the trick. I'd keep Ralph for now though

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No. I think overall Ralph has done a decent job, keeping us in the League with an extremely limited squad due to years of awful recruitment. We just now look like we’ve turned a corner with our squad and are able to recruit genuine talent and have genuine depth. I want to see what Ralph can do.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Koeman did well for us last time by taking over from a high pressing manager and just tweaking things a bit, so he could repeat the trick. I'd keep Ralph for now though

Tweaking things abit…. He brought in 4 genuinely top class players in Tadic, Mane, Pelle and Toby. 

Here, he’d have to make do with players like Adams, Redmond and Stephens. 

We don’t have the budget to bring in the type of players that Koeman would need to play his way and be successful. At the very least, we’d need a big target man. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No. Just no. Why would we do that when we have finally got our squad pretty much how Ralph wants it?

Koeman would quickly undo all the progress Ralph has made with this squad in recent years. He would drop our promising young players in favour of some new signings from his previous clubs, and would then fuck off again as soon as a bigger club made him a better offer, which would put us all the way back to where we were when he left in 2016.

It would be absolute madness.

• Like 3

On 14/09/2021 at 11:20, Ted Bates Statue said:

Either Crocker thinks that Hasenhuttl is underperforming, considering the newcomers to the squad, or Steve Cooper's agent is touting him for a new job and putting pressure on other clubs to sign him up. I believe that Hasenhuttl will get until the end of October to justify his continued presence and he's doing ok for now, so my guess is that it's the agent.

Ask me for the lottery numbers, or when we get taken over.

I'm a fan of Ralph and hope he stays long enough for us all to see whether the changes he has made throughout the club (or helped to make with Semmens etc) bear fruit.  To me it would be bonkers to consider replacing him at this point in the journey.  I like the energy and identity he has brought to the club.  We play a progressive, intense version of the game that I much prefer to what preceded it.  Also we have so much invested in his way of doing things, in terms of the squad and the set-up, that any change is going to take a lot of time, effort and money to execute.  So I think the club has gone all-in on the Ralph project and we may as well buckle up for the ride.  

I completely understand the criticism he attracts.  It's impossible to lose 9-0 twice in consecutive seasons without serious stick and I've also questioned some of his selections and tactics.  Even though that wet Friday night at home to Leicester will haunt me for a while the strange thing is I am not holding a grudge toward the manager about it.  The mate I go to games with and I are often surprised that we aren't more critical of him.  We've been season ticket holders together since 1978 and plenty of managers have lost our trust and respect.  But for reasons I can't quite fathom we are still very pro-Ralph.  There is something about him we just like, both in terms of his managerial style and his personality.  And the way he (sometimes) can get us playing.  Mostly I think we simply believe he is good for the club and the right man for the job.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, benjii said:

https://zuishek.medium.com/southamptons-press-and-the-hypnosis-of-pep-guardiola-2dcf986923e5

This shows the work that goes into our preparation and training. 

This should be required reading for all the posters who don't understand why a certain team is picked, or why we play certain formations and change them during a game.

These systems take a lot of preparation and it only takes one player not to carry out their instructions correctly for it to fall apart. This probably explains why Redmond gets picked ahead of other players, because he follows the instructions better than some others.

People were annoyed about some of his choices with the ball in attack, but Ralph will be looking more at his choices in the defensive system because that's a 90 minute commitment rather than a brief momentary passage of play. Ok he messes up a pass, but if he spent the rest of the game contributing to a clean sheet that's more important. 

It also explains why Ralph will sometimes pick a starting team from players who were not away on international duty in the period before a game even though the perceived better players are fit.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

This should be required reading for all the posters who don't understand why a certain team is picked, or why we play certain formations and change them during a game.

These systems take a lot of preparation and it only takes one player not to carry out their instructions correctly for it to fall apart. This probably explains why Redmond gets picked ahead of other players, because he follows the instructions better than some others.

People were annoyed about some of his choices with the ball in attack, but Ralph will be looking more at his choices in the defensive system because that's a 90 minute commitment rather than a brief momentary passage of play. Ok he messes up a pass, but if he spent the rest of the game contributing to a clean sheet that's more important. 

It also explains why Ralph will sometimes pick a starting team from players who were not away on international duty in the period before a game even though the perceived better players are fit.

What a brilliant article. 

• Like 2

HAS to go, has to go now, otherwise we will be in 2004/5 territory we’re we just stuck with Wrigley for way to long

rarely picks the right starting line up

rarely makes the right subs

Clearly doesn’t have the right tactics as the same thing happens almost every game, another second half lost 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I've had enough. Time for a change.

Time to go Ralph. Could have had some credit in the bank after City but the team looked lopsided and pedestrian today even before 2pm. Hardly surprising that the board are not putting any pressure on with the total lack of fan reaction at the end, people just streaming out, no boos or any sense of being awake even. 

It might have to take relegation and a Derby type situation to wake everyone up and move the listless ownership and management on. We’ve been in League One before, I’m not scared of it. The footballing coma at SFC which started in Puel’s last 3 months carries on. 

Aintforever - I think you are right, but we will find out after the Chelsea game. The club has totally lost its DNA - slow, poor football, academy a write off and probably needs mothballing until Gao gone, absent ownership. 

New manager might at least get earlier balls into Armstrong feet or play him down the sides, or improve training standards so Che and Broja have some supply from wide areas. Livra in front of KWP - have one strong side at least. Perraud isn’t that bad and should be playing, was building a rapport with Djenepo. Coaching has to be appalling - club used to improve players not it ruins them. New manager might bring new coaches and new ideas. Going down if not and administration, so worth a last throw of the dice. 

Edited by saint1977

Hasenhuttl and the club management have totally fucked us in the summer with our transfer strategy. Real opportunity to actually rebuild the squad, with some big sales and it’s been wasted on (maybe fullbacks aside) slightly worse players to fill in for the ones we sold, instead of actually improving on the squad as a whole. So we have the same problems of being totally blunt in midfield, with a worse strike force. (Oh but at least there more depth to our ineffectiveness now). The fact that the CAM position wasn’t improved up is criminal, same for the CDM position too.

The ineptitude there has relegated us before the season has begun. Couldn’t careless who is manager now because a championship quality team belongs in the championship and that is exactly what we are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I don’t think any manager could keep that pile of shite up. 

People need to stop with this crap cop out for Ralph

no other manager would be picking the team he picked today, no other manager would demand the forward play be so slow in the build up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAY-Z said:

no other manager would be picking the team he picked today, no other manager would demand the forward play be so slow in the build up

No other manager could make Adams or Armstrong good enough. We sealed our fate when we cashed in on Ings.

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I disagree, don’t think we have a goal scorer good enough.

hard to tell if we dont create chances which is our massive issue, lack of creativity in midfield showed today. Predictable play for the whole game.

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 1

Just now, MAY-Z said:

Think it’s true myself. Fact is Ralph has totally fucked the transfer market, solved none of the issues from last season, and has just brought in like for like replacements who are generally worse. 

His questionable selections don’t help, but if someone else comes in he’s already fucked it for them with the squad that he’ll pass over. Unfortunately, with the quality we have compared to other teams, I have no idea how we stay up.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

No other manager could make Adams or Armstrong good enough. We sealed our fate when we cashed in on Ings.

Don’t even think cashing in on Ings had to be a problem. We also created nothing for him last season and struggled as a result. We can’t just rely on one player to bail us out every time.  If we invested in some quality midfielder and wingers to actually create some changes, instead of a worse version of Ings, it wouldn’t be ideal, but I reckon we’d be in far less of a mess.

Should of really cashed in on JWP for the same reason of improving creativity too IMO, but clearly they didn’t trust themselves to invest it properly (which probably would have turned out to be true).

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Well we'll see, but our goalscorer last season only got 12. It's a myth that you need a 15-20 goal a season striker in this league to do anything at all.

But we now have even worse goalscorers, with the same lack of quality and creativity in midfield, that screwed us last season. 

And it’s not like any of the wingers or midfielders look like they’ll suddenly find some undiscovered goalscoring form anytime soon either.

Edited by Nemi

2 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Should of really cashed in on JWP for the same reason of improving creativity too IMO, but clearly they didn’t trust themselves to invest it properly (which probably would have turned out to be true).

I agree JWP is a tidy player but slows everything down and passes sideways or backwards. Surely the 30m could have been used to buy 2 players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

First time I've personally seen him visibly fucked off at our players on the bench near the end.

Yeah, was very noticeable. Players aren’t playing for him but some of what he does makes it hard to think he knows what he’s doing. Can’t get rid though, we are in too deep with him. 

I genuinely don't know what to do to be honest.

He's operated on a shoe string here, heck even less than that really. One thing that is baffling me from this season is the lack of Tella - what's happened there? When Long is getting on ahead of you then something must be horribly wrong?

That's my worry with Ralph, he gets these weird blind spots over players. Hope that's not the case here.

Truth be told though I don't think any other manager would get much more out of our attack. Defensively we seem ok this year, we look to have tightened up to a degree, but our attack is just pointless right now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Time to go. I think he might resign. 

As long as he keeps selecting the blunt and inept Redmond it shows a complete lack of judgement. 

We need fresh energy, viewpoints, ideas and enthusiasm. 

He's here to stay, long term. He has had to get rid of a load of highly paid wasters. He's done that. Now he has to build afresh--without any investment from the owners. That is a work in progress. It just hasn't progressed far yet. It will, we will end 12th this season

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Time to go Ralph. Could have had some credit in the bank after City but the team looked lopsided and pedestrian today even before 2pm. Hardly surprising that the board are not putting any pressure on with the total lack of fan reaction at the end, people just streaming out, no boos or any sense of being awake even. 

It might have to take relegation and a Derby type situation to wake everyone up and move the listless ownership and management on. We’ve been in League One before, I’m not scared of it. The footballing coma at SFC which started in Puel’s last 3 months carries on. 

Aintforever - I think you are right, but we will find out after the Chelsea game. The club has totally lost its DNA - slow, poor football, academy a write off and probably needs mothballing until Gao gone, absent ownership. 

New manager might at least get earlier balls into Armstrong feet or play him down the sides, or improve training standards so Che and Broja have some supply from wide areas. Livra in front of KWP - have one strong side at least. Perraud isn’t that bad and should be playing, was building a rapport with Djenepo. Coaching has to be appalling - club used to improve players not it ruins them. New manager might bring new coaches and new ideas. Going down if not and administration, so worth a last throw of the dice. 

Hard to disagree with much of this. I have said for a while now that Ralph has had nearly 3 years now and not moved us on - yes, I get the great spell early last season but in reality that was a once off that we have not built on.

Tino was tiring today and I would have moved KWP (who should have started on the right in any case) to the right and brought on Peraud on the left. Broja is not that good and why Long ffs - what is wrong with Tella - the most exciting forward we have had for a while. Beds has really lost form this season and shows why we have been selecting Stephens ahead of him.

Frankly that was a boring game and I wish I had spent my 2 hours better - would rather we played an exciting entertaining game and lost than the display today. Ralph has limited capability and he may or maybe not keep us up this season but we will never evolve under him - even Brentford/Watford/Leeds are more exciting than us. Let's try something different even if that means we drop down for a few seasons - not that I am going to stop supporting my team but they are just depressing to watch at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I genuinely don't know what to do to be honest.

He's operated on a shoe string here, heck even less than that really. One thing that is baffling me from this season is the lack of Tella - what's happened there? When Long is getting on ahead of you then something must be horribly wrong?

That's my worry with Ralph, he gets these weird blind spots over players. Hope that's not the case here.

Truth be told though I don't think any other manager would get much more out of our attack. Defensively we seem ok this year, we look to have tightened up to a degree, but our attack is just pointless right now.

But to get the best or better from our attack surely the emphasis must be to create chances for them to play with?,and i dont see where the chances  are

going to come from? Djenepo what the fuck does he bring to the play ahead or Tella? or indeed that wonderful servant to the club Mr (he runs and causes defenders problems) Long?

Ralphs  selections are very blinkered and quite baffling at this moment in time arnt they. Why do we keep persisting with the same old systems? can we just play 4-4-2?

because we seem to be a counter attack team every time we play . We sit back try to soak up the game and hope for a good counter. We seem yet again a side that lacks

imagination or creativity.Its boring, and i feel sorry for those that have paid  go to games and are served up this turgid rubbish. I watch it on the internet and have the opportunity to switch it off, unlike those of you who pay £50 plus per ticket(and we wonder why its not full) only to know what to expect.

Maybe this is not the time to try and compose a reply to this question,but fuck me are we ever going to turn a corner?...........

I like Ralph but seriously why is he persisting with Redmond and bringing on Long? Redmond is one the worst players I've seen play for us, he has no redeeming qualities and is just blocking the path of our kids who can't possibly be any worse and far more likely to improve. He just ambles round the pitch blames others for his mistakes  . Needless to say I think he's garbage, I'd love nothing more than him to prove me wrong but it's never going to happen. Same for Long his time has passed we know what he can/can't do .So frustrating after last couple of games 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl