Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

His continued refusal to try this is the main reason I am 3 games away from calling for his head. 

Why wait,  next 3 are Chelsea, Leeds and Burnley.  We ain't getting anything from those playing the way we do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Micky said:

Why wait,  next 3 are Chelsea, Leeds and Burnley.  We ain't getting anything from those playing the way we do. 

See above. Any less than 4 points and it’s good night from me. That said would I be gutted to find out tomorrow a.m he’d been sacked? NO.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Arsenal legend Tony Adams has revealed that he was approached for a coaching role at Southampton two years ago; “Ralph called me a couple of years ago. His assistant had just left and he called me and asked me to give him a hand at Southampton.” #saintsfc [standard]

That in itself is very, very scary.  Tony Adams,  thanks but no thanks. 

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

Also JWP raises arm before every set piece. It is clear it is no code for where it is going as never get a Saints player on the end of it

His dead balls so far this season have been absolutely shocking. He looks a completely different player to the one from last season. Two corners today didn’t get past the first man, and one didn’t get higher than about 3 feet off the ground and was promptly cleared.

Someone suggested he’s playing injured in which case forget his record of continuous PL minutes and give the lad a rest. 

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I genuinely don't know what to do to be honest.

He's operated on a shoe string here, heck even less than that really. One thing that is baffling me from this season is the lack of Tella - what's happened there? When Long is getting on ahead of you then something must be horribly wrong?

That's my worry with Ralph, he gets these weird blind spots over players. Hope that's not the case here.

Truth be told though I don't think any other manager would get much more out of our attack. Defensively we seem ok this year, we look to have tightened up to a degree, but our attack is just pointless right now.

The forwards have precious little to work with because there is a serious lack of quality in midfield.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

4 wins in 27 games and 21 points in the calendar year? No no no, that can't be right.

They way I understand it today is if you say we're doing badly then that's just a typical short term knee jerk reaction from impatient fans to a completely unlucky freak result that bears no resemblance to how brilliant the team is and how great we're playing.

I mean, if the stat was true and we had only won four games in a calendar year then surely people would be justifiably disappointed.

Nah, today is a completely freak result, an out of character blip.

It's even more worrying when you look at the names of the 4 sides we've managed to beat.

My points have already been raised, but hell, what a crap team selection. As soon as I saw KWP and Redmond on the left, I knew we were in trouble. Every single attack down the left, resulted in either one of them having to check back onto their right foot, leaving a mainly forward pass into the box, where the front men had already made their moves. It cried out for left footed crosses, with players running on to them. Then to compound this crap selection, he brings on Long, ffs, Long, to try and win a game with a goal, a man who can’t fecking score. For me, this manager has had more than enough time, and seems intent on doing it his way, which is glaringly obvious, the wrong way.

Time to say goodbye.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

KWP and Redmond on the left, I knew we were in trouble. Every single attack down the left, resulted in either one of them having to check back onto their right foot,

Yep - even I could have played right back for Wolves today. Was a pretty easy time, the 3 times KWP did get past he fluffed up a left footed cross. Soon as Djenepo came on suddenly he looked to go both ways and made life a lot more difficult and a few chances came from it.

I agree that the recluctance to try Tino and KWP on the right together is crazy and its doing my bloody head in. Try it Ralph, ffs, it cant be any worse than watching Redmond tit around.

It was the biggest thing I couldnt understand about RH's decisions until yesterday, then it was gazumped..............................Shane Long 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bpsaint said:

His dead balls so far this season have been absolutely shocking. He looks a completely different player to the one from last season. Two corners today didn’t get past the first man, and one didn’t get higher than about 3 feet off the ground and was promptly cleared.

Someone suggested he’s playing injured in which case forget his record of continuous PL minutes and give the lad a rest. 

Agree some of his dead balls have been un-defendable, but when we have no-one in the side that can win headers, that's also a problem in itself. There is no point crossing the ball in to Elyounoussi, Redmond, Adams and Armstrong.  The only player we had on the pitch that could head the ball yesterday was Bednarek, which is where pretty much all of JWP's set pieces went yesterday.  We are so so blunt.

• Like 2

I like Ralph. I don't want to see him sacked, I hope he turns things around and I still think we could win a cup with him in charge.  But do we really have "one of the worst records in Premier League history" and is this our worst ever start to a Premier League season?

Since crying after beating Liverpool in January 2021, Ralph Hasenhuttl's Southampton has one of the worst records in Premier League history including a 9-0 loss to Manchester United (talksport.com)

• Like 1

Was there not a report while back that Ralph had until the end of October to turn it around otherwise Mr Howe’s would be taking over?

IMHO Ralph’s had enough time and it’s not suddenly going to come right for him. The man is broken, the teams confidence is shot and so it’s time for a change.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

I like Ralph. I don't want to see him sacked, I hope he turns things around and I still think we could win a cup with him in charge.  But do we really have "one of the worst records in Premier League history" and is this our worst ever start to a Premier League season?

Since crying after beating Liverpool in January 2021, Ralph Hasenhuttl's Southampton has one of the worst records in Premier League history including a 9-0 loss to Manchester United (talksport.com)

Win a cup? Did you see us against Leicester? 

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Was there not a report while back that Ralph had until the end of October to turn it around otherwise Mr Howe’s would be taking over?

IMHO Ralph’s had enough time and it’s not suddenly going to come right for him. The man is broken, the teams confidence is shot and so it’s time for a change.

yet we didn't look short of confidence against Manchester City. Anything like that performance would have seen Wolves off

Just now, Toussaint said:

Win a cup? Did you see us against Leicester? 

This game is so strangely mythologised in hindsight as if we were absolutely woeful. We came up against a top side, both teams played super defensively and kept it really tight, both defences nullified the other attack without creating much, and they won because they scored a flukey goal with their only shot on target. You'd think we were battered 9-0 by the way people talk about it. Also we reached the semis with wins against Wolves and Arsenal. We absolutely could win a cup.

• Like 2

Just now, Kenilworthy said:

yet we didn't look short of confidence against Manchester City. Anything like that performance would have seen Wolves off

That may hint at a bigger problem, you see it with other teams and across all sports, they can get themselves up for rivals and big games but can't manage it consistently. I do wander what the players think of Ralph, the bizarre team selections, tactics and substitutions cannot be lost on them. I know Bertrand had a bit of a swipe when he left, didn't Ings hint at something also?  

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

This game is so strangely mythologised in hindsight as if we were absolutely woeful. We came up against a top side, both teams played super defensively and kept it really tight, both defences nullified the other attack without creating much, and they won because they scored a flukey goal with their only shot on target. You'd think we were battered 9-0 by the way people talk about it. Also we reached the semis with wins against Wolves and Arsenal. We absolutely could win a cup.

We were absolutely toothless.

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We were absolutely toothless.

We played defensively to counter and so did they. Were they toothless too because they only had one shot on target and it was going well wide until Vestergaard freakishly deflected it back into his path to have another go?

We were unfortunate, it was a very even game.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

So we're just going to call for his head every time we're on the wrong side of a close game now? We should have won at the etihad last week if it weren't for some poor officiating. He has improved our defence massively since last season. On another day we win yesterdays game, its not like we were outplayed by a poor Wolves team. Just back the lads and stop sh*tting the bed every time we lose a game.

Edited by tunit
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tunit said:

So we're just going to call for his head every time we're on the wrong side of a close game now? We drew 0-0 at the etihad and reduced them to 1 shot on target last week. He has improved our defence massively since last season. On another day we win yesterdays game, its not like we were outplayed by a poor Wolves team. Just back the lads and stop sh*tting the bed every time we lose a game.

Exactly this. We have been pretty unfortunate at times this season, been on the wrong end of a few calls, had a couple of bad individual errors. The manager can't really account for that. If Djenepo could score an open goal from half a meter out, if Armstrong could head the ball into an empty net from half a meter out again, if Bednarek could do his job and not get outwrestled by Jimenez, and/or if VAR didn't absolutely shaft us against City then none of these things would be being discussed.

Our luck will swing imo

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tunit said:

So we're just going to call for his head every time we're on the wrong side of a close game now? We should have won at the etihad last week if it weren't for some poor officiating. He has improved our defence massively since last season. On another day we win yesterdays game, its not like we were outplayed by a poor Wolves team. Just back the lads and stop sh*tting the bed every time we lose a game.

Pragmatism? On the Saintsweb forum? Nah, can't see that catching on ;)

14 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Arsenal legend Tony Adams has revealed that he was approached for a coaching role at Southampton two years ago; “Ralph called me a couple of years ago. His assistant had just left and he called me and asked me to give him a hand at Southampton.” #saintsfc [standard]

Drinks cabinet was looking empty.........................sorry!!

11 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Has Redmond now been used in all 4 attacking positions this season? And been sh|ite in all of them? Whilst better players in all those positions have sat on the bench? When will that penny finally click

Yes he has and no I don’t think it will. Ralph has a total blind spot when it comes to him.

2 hours ago, tunit said:

Have you seen our record since the turn of the year? It’s hardly knee jerk to expect better results, other clubs wouldn’t put up with it. Our Nods just sit their bemoaning our luck and taking crumbs of comfort from the occasional glimmer of hope. We’re heading one way under this fraud, The Alpine Klopp, lol, The Alpine Branfoot more like 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Reckon he’ll be gone after the Chelsea game.

Will give Eddie Howe a bit of time to work with the squad before the next game.

Don't see it at all.

As a club we have gone "all-in" with this guy. We will have to be solid bottom 2 or 3 in December for him to get the bullet.

And when we do sack him there will still be people on this forum saying he didn't get a fair chance.

• Like 1

Who would we even attract to the club when we tell them they have a transfer budget of £0, until we sell your best players and replace them with bargain copies? Howe is the name constantly spoken of, and he didn't work with those constraints at the much less reputable Bournemouth. It's the ownership that is the problem at this club and we're not going anywhere while Gao remains in charge. If this was Newcastle, Everton, West Ham, who actually still get investments put into their club, you wouldn't hear the end of it. But, nothing comes from Southampton, for whatever reason. The academy's now non-existent, the first team is seemingly scraping by and looking for three worse teams each year. I don't know what it's going to take.

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Don't see it at all.

As a club we have gone "all-in" with this guy. We will have to be solid bottom 2 or 3 in December for him to get the bullet.

And when we do sack him there will still be people on this forum saying he didn't get a fair chance.

Oh I think he has had more than a fair chance. I have liked Ralph and thought he could succeed, I said give it around 7-10 games this season. 

A draw with a pretty shit Utd, and a good performance v City doesn’t change the fact I think we may need to change manager.

Winning games keeps us in the league, for almost a year we don’t win games. I think he will go, and soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Who would we even attract to the club when we tell them they have a transfer budget of £0, until we sell your best players and replace them with bargain copies? Howe is the name constantly spoken of, and he didn't work with those constraints at the much less reputable Bournemouth. It's the ownership that is the problem at this club and we're not going anywhere while Gao remains in charge. If this was Newcastle, Everton, West Ham, who actually still get investments put into their club, you wouldn't hear the end of it. But, nothing comes from Southampton, for whatever reason. The academy's now non-existent, the first team is seemingly scraping by and looking for three worse teams each year. I don't know what it's going to take.

Ralph code to spend what little money we did have on the players who came in.

He now plays are last season first choice RB ahead of our biggest expense this summer in Perraud. 

The ownership is one problem here, yes, but Ralph knew what we are working to so we’ve hardly screed him over.

Ralph wanted to post Theo c. £50k pw which could have gone elsewhere. 

I can see where you’re coming from but Ralph is part of the problem too, his results in 2021 have been an utter disgrace, and I can’t think of another club who would have kept a manager with the performance this year. 

Ralph is an odd one. It is very unusual to go on a run of results like this (2021 results) and keep your job at this level. 2021 as a year has been a disaster for us. We’ve lost 9-0 twice under Ralph in 2 seasons and had the longest run of defeats in our league history. There are many records you don’t want to have that have arrived during his time here. I’m sure points lost from winning positions is a record too.

On the other hand, you can see what he’s trying to do, injuries second half of last season were unbelievable and contributed massively to our form. There is a reason that despite our 2021 form, the fanbase remains split on whether he’s the right guy for the job. Most other managers would be unanimously wanted out by the fans. 

He’s a likeable guy, when it works it’s brilliant and he fits well with our youth angle and therefore budgetary constraints from an acceptance point of view at least. He’s turned Prowsey into a much better player and improved many others, some have left to play for bigger clubs and others have returned to their previous form like Redders.

I agree with @TWar that unless there is an outstanding candidate, a change for change sake is pointless. Personally don’t think Howe is the better manager. I’d love Ralph to turn this around as long term I think he can improve us. Our financial constraints may never give him the tools to prove that though…

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Ralph is an odd one. It is very usual to go on a run of results like this (2021 results) and keep your job at this level. 2021 as a year has been a disaster for us. We’ve lost 9-0 twice under Ralph in 2 seasons and had the longest run of defeats in our league history. There are many records you don’t want to have that have arrived during his time here. I’m sure points lost from winning positions is a record too.

On the other hand, you can see what he’s trying to do, injuries second half of last season were unbelievable and contributed massively to our form. There is a reason that despite our 2021 form, the fanbase remains split on whether he’s the right guy for the job. Most other managers would be unanimously wanted out by the fans. 

He’s a likeable guy, when it works it’s brilliant and he fits well with our youth angle and therefore budgetary constraints from an acceptance point of view at least. He’s turned Prowsey into a much better player and improved many others, some have left to play for bigger clubs and others have returned to their previous form like Redders.

I agree with @TWar that unless there is an outstanding candidate, a change for change sake is pointless. Personally don’t think Howe is the better manager. I’d love Ralph to turn this around as long term I think he can improve us. Our financial constraints may never give him to tools to prove that though…

So I am confused with the line from you and TWar - 'changing for changes sake'.

Surely the change is absolutely required if it appears unlikely the incumbent isn't going to work out. I have a situation at work (a real one as it goes). Ive employed this person since 2015 and I have brought him with me to 3 successive firms I have joined. For the last year (again true) he hasn't been pulling his weight, results are all over the place. Now I need to act, as it is causing lots of issues. Im not changing for the sake of it, I need to act as the performance cant continue. Ive tried everything with him, he even admitted 2 months ago he thought he would have lost his job if elsewhere.

Now, I need to find a replacement before I can act, and I hope with my experience I can find a really suitable person to be better, but it is a risk and they may not be. But that doesn't mean it is changing for the sake of it, I simply have to act.

Now, I dont feel it is so different with Ralph - it isnt changing for the sake of it, if we carry on as we are we are going down. This isn't a knee jerk reaction to a few shit games, it has been nearly a whole calendar year.

We will find someone to take over, and they may work out or not. We could employ Klopp and it may not work, but the change would still have been necessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

So I am confused with the line from you and TWar - 'changing for changes sake'.

Surely the change is absolutely required if it appears unlikely the incumbent isn't going to work out. I have a situation at work (a real one as it goes). Ive employed this person since 2015 and I have brought him with me to 3 successive firms I have joined. For the last year (again true) he hasn't been pulling his weight, results are all over the place. Now I need to act, as it is causing lots of issues. Im not changing for the sake of it, I need to act as the performance cant continue. Ive tried everything with him, he even admitted 2 months ago he thought he would have lost his job if elsewhere.

Now, I need to find a replacement before I can act, and I hope with my experience I can find a really suitable person to be better, but it is a risk and they may not be. But that doesn't mean it is changing for the sake of it, I simply have to act.

Now, I dont feel it is so different with Ralph - it isnt changing for the sake of it, if we carry on as we are we are going down. This isn't a knee jerk reaction to a few shit games, it has been nearly a whole calendar year.

We will find someone to take over, and they may work out or not. We could employ Klopp and it may not work, but the change would still have been necessary.

You make a valid point on changing Ralph out because the results are just not acceptable. I would say the majority of Premier League clubs would come to that decision despite any extenuating circumstances. Hard to argue after 4 wins in 27 league games, but I’ll have a try…

I think our decision makers look at it with a pragmatic view. For example that having 8 senior players fit for good chunks of last season won’t present a true representation of Ralph’s ability. I saw a graphic last season that showed when we played games more than 3 days apart our results massively improved. I’d attribute that to reduced chances of injury and the style we play is quite draining (when we do it properly).

If we can ‘write off’ the second half of last season due to fixture congestion and injuries having a significant impact, which might be seen as very generous to Ralph, then how have we done so far this season? I think we have shown promise and have only really got 1 result (Wolves) that we can argue with. I think the signs are there that we are capable. The question is how long can we wait. You’re spot on when you say there will come a point in time when a decision must be made. The question is, is that now. We still have more points from the same fixtures we played last season, and the fixture list hasn’t been kind to us for the start of this season.

The difference with your work example is you perhaps know this colleague well enough to know it’s just not going to get turned around and I’m not sure if there are as may extenuating circumstances if any to make you think twice about whether replacing them is the right decision?

Overall, we’re probably not too many games away from no longer being able to give Ralph the benefit of the doubt. That was written from quite close to the fence!

19 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

You make a valid point on changing Ralph out because the results are just not acceptable. I would say the majority of Premier League clubs would come to that decision despite any extenuating circumstances. Hard to argue after 4 wins in 27 league games, but I’ll have a try…

I think our decision makers look at it with a pragmatic view. For example that having 8 senior players fit for good chunks of last season won’t present a true representation of Ralph’s ability. I saw a graphic last season that showed when we played games more than 3 days apart our results massively improved. I’d attribute that to reduced chances of injury and the style we play is quite draining (when we do it properly).

If we can ‘write off’ the second half of last season due to fixture congestion and injuries having a significant impact, which might be seen as very generous to Ralph, then how have we done so far this season? I think we have shown promise and have only really got 1 result (Wolves) that we can argue with. I think the signs are there that we are capable. The question is how long can we wait. You’re spot on when you say there will come a point in time when a decision must be made. The question is, is that now. We still have more points from the same fixtures we played last season, and the fixture list hasn’t been kind to us for the start of this season.

The difference with your work example is you perhaps know this colleague well enough to know it’s just not going to get turned around and I’m not sure if there are as may extenuating circumstances if any to make you think twice about whether replacing them is the right decision?

Overall, we’re probably not too many games away from no longer being able to give Ralph the benefit of the doubt. That was written from quite close to the fence!

Yeah, i do get the injuries and it did make a massive difference. My criticism of Ralph when that happened was he didnt really appear to adapt our game to suit the situation, like playing different formations or using subs.

The issue with writing off that part of last season, would be more paletable had wewe won more than we did from Mar-May when our players came back from injury, and we didnt. That coupled with our run into this season, when we have played ok against some sides, but the facts state we are winless this season.

And I agree it wont take long - we will either win a load of games post Chelsea which keeps him, or we  dont and doubt he will still be here.

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Give Ralph a rest 

The Players are clearly not good enough no wonder we are scoring goals

Adams and Armstrong must the weakest pair of strikers we have ever had in the Top Division 

Although in the 1990s they were not that good but at least we had MLT who I never though was an out and out striker

1 minute ago, John B said:

Give Ralph a rest 

The Players are clearly not good enough no wonder we are scoring goals

Adams and Armstrong must the weakest pair of strikers we have ever had in the Top Division 

Although in the 1990s they were not that good but at least we had MLT who I never though was an out and out striker

Arent lots of players the same that went on the best run in 2020? If so, im not sure how this relates into the team not being good enough now, or how it in part cant be to do with Ralph.

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Arent lots of players the same that went on the best run in 2020? If so, im not sure how this relates into the team not being good enough now, or how it in part cant be to do with Ralph.

Do you not remember we had a top class striker in Danny Ings during that period

If you think Adams and Armstrong are a top class Strike force which is going to terorrise PL defences even with Klopp in charge I think you are sadly mistaken

4 minutes ago, John B said:

Do you not remember we had a top class striker in Danny Ings during that period

If you think Adams and Armstrong are a top class Strike force which is going to terorrise PL defences even with Klopp in charge I think you are sadly mistaken

Of course I do recall Ings was playing. Is that the same Ings that did next to nothing after that period - so no guarantee he would have continued then.

Why do you think my view is Armstrong and Adams will terrorise defences with Klopp in charge? I think they have the potential to get the goals we need to stay up, Ings only got 12 last season, or did you mistake him for someone who won the golden boot?

So, would you keep Ralph then if we continue to lose? I mean, how long would you continue to back the manager?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl