Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

No arguing that, but with the service our guys are feeding off now he wouldn't be scoring anywhere near the 11 or so goals i think he got per season.

we never really replaced tadic did we? desperately need some creativity, Elounousi is nowhere near as good as Raplh thinksbut somehow starts, and dejenepo & redmond have no football brains

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

we never really replaced tadic did we? desperately need some creativity, Elounousi is nowhere near as good as Raplh thinksbut somehow starts, and dejenepo & redmond have no football brains

We desperately need Stu back.

The interesting question is whether Tadic would have the work rate for Ralph's system

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

You can add Theo to the list of our players who clearly have no football brain. It's worrying how we manage to amass so many squad players who don't have that little bit of smartness that sets apart the good performers from the less than average ones. Unfortunately it appears to be not something you can teach and you've either got it or you haven't. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

You can add Theo to the list of our players who clearly have no football brain. It's worrying how we manage to amass so many squad players who don't have that little bit of smartness that sets apart the good performers from the less than average ones. Unfortunately it appears to be not something you can teach and you've either got it or you haven't. 

If we did do you think we would be able to keep them/buy them?

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

What is this elusive thing, a 'football brain'? Who has it? Any of our current players? Ralph? Do you, Mr X?

• Like 1

Some of the shite that’s poured out of Ralph’s mouth this week is unbelievable, he’s quick to highlight what Tella’s weakness is (over keen from what I can make of it) and where Tino needs to improve yet ignores the very same faults and worse in other more favoured players shall we say.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Piran said:

What is this elusive thing, a 'football brain'? Who has it? Any of our current players? Ralph? Do you, Mr X?

Well i see it in simple terms (in my long winded way) as making the right decision when near goal be that passing to your team mate whos in a better position to score, taking just one touch and shooting first time yourself or making the right decision in defence if you are a defensive player be that spotting the danger and clearing however you can or making an important tackle at the right time. 

It is not doing a redmond: aimlessly running into the opponent's half trying to beat their whole team single handedly while either giving possession back to them or fluffing a shot out the stadium.  And no your right I dont have a football brain as must supporters dont but we all think we are experts! 😉

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Well i see it in simple terms (in my long winded way) as making the right decision when near goal be that passing to your opponent whos in a better position to score, taking just one touch and shooting first time yourself or making the right decision in defence if you are a defensive player be that spotting the danger and clearing however you can or making an important tackle at the right time. 

It is not doing a redmond: aimlessly running into the opponent's half trying to beat their whole team single handedly while either giving possession back to them or fluffing a shot out the stadium.  And no your right I dont have a football brain as must supporters dont but we all think we are experts! 😉

Well, you certainly wouldn't have much of a football brain if you passed it your opponent to score. 😂

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Some of the shite that’s poured out of Ralph’s mouth this week is unbelievable, he’s quick to highlight what Tella’s weakness is (over keen from what I can make of it) and where Tino needs to improve yet ignores the very same faults and worse in other more favoured players shall we say.

A good manager will know which players either need or are strong enough to take tough feedback in public, and which need to be built up.

Tino for example has the world at his feet at the moment (almost) so needs his feet kept on the ground. Do the same to Redmond and you'd break his morale

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

A good manager will know which players either need or are strong enough to take tough feedback in public, and which need to be built up.

Tino for example has the world at his feet at the moment (almost) so needs his feet kept on the ground. Do the same to Redmond and you'd break his morale

So are you saying RH is a good manager? 

19 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Also, too much praise for youngsters can lead to complacency, which creates bad characters and stall development. No harm in a "he's decent, but still has work to do" comment. 

On 28/09/2021 at 11:10, Minsk said:

Because we don't play with wide midfielders. It wouldn't be 'in front of' Tino. It would be ahead of him but tucked inside. Go back and watch the Wolves match (if you dare) and look at the positions Moi was in for most of the match. Should answer your question.

You might be right about Moi, but the heat maps I've seen from Redmond, Djenepo and Walcott suggest that for the most part those players do play like wide midfielders. Which is one reason why we create nothing through the middle. 

1 minute ago, verlaine1979 said:

You might be right about Moi, but the heat maps I've seen from Redmond, Djenepo and Walcott suggest that for the most part those players do play like wide midfielders. Which is one reason why we create nothing through the middle. 

For ages now they've played more like wide midfielders, not tucked inside like they were. We're definitely set up different these days. 

Moi is a bit different though, ditto Minamino last season. They both tuck in more leaving the RB to give the width. Minamino went even more central when Armstrong played centre mid and gave cover when he went forward with the ball. 

8 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

You are right in that Djenepo does play more of a wide role on the left. Probably because he the best of our AMs at actually beating a player on the outside and getting a cross in. He does also cut inside a lot though, usually to go down just inside the penalty area....

I would say Theo and Redmond tend to drift in and out, playing at least as much inside than out. Moi certainly stays inside the majority of the time. I would imagine in every case they are doing as directed by Ralph, i.e. each playing to their (perceived) strength.

I've said before that I would like to see Tino playing RM, but we would need to be playing a rigid 4-4-2 with him and whoever was LM (Djenepo would be my choice) staying out wide. It would also need to be in the right match against the right type of opposition. It would also mean playing Broja as a CF, so that we have someone with height to get on the end of the crosses. That would be quite a change to how we normally play though and the reason why Ralph is unlikely to try it. All those calling for Ralph to play Tino at RM week in week out are going to remain very disappointed. Its almost as if they don't watch, or have a tactical understanding of, how we play (something they like to accuse Ralph of because, like all fans, they know far more than someone actually paid to manage a team at the highest level). 

12 hours ago, Minsk said:

You are right in that Djenepo does play more of a wide role on the left. Probably because he the best of our AMs at actually beating a player on the outside and getting a cross in. He does also cut inside a lot though, usually to go down just inside the penalty area....

I would say Theo and Redmond tend to drift in and out, playing at least as much inside than out. Moi certainly stays inside the majority of the time. I would imagine in every case they are doing as directed by Ralph, i.e. each playing to their (perceived) strength.

I've said before that I would like to see Tino playing RM, but we would need to be playing a rigid 4-4-2 with him and whoever was LM (Djenepo would be my choice) staying out wide. It would also need to be in the right match against the right type of opposition. It would also mean playing Broja as a CF, so that we have someone with height to get on the end of the crosses. That would be quite a change to how we normally play though and the reason why Ralph is unlikely to try it. All those calling for Ralph to play Tino at RM week in week out are going to remain very disappointed. Its almost as if they don't watch, or have a tactical understanding of, how we play (something they like to accuse Ralph of because, like all fans, they know far more than someone actually paid to manage a team at the highest level). 

Perhaps a change in the way we play is exactly what is needed, given our attacking/wide/10’s midfielders are completely ineffective. 

• Like 3

Or get rid of this bore .. fell asleep listening to his presser 😴😴😴the guy is his name sake .. hassenclue!!!

The Koeman come back could be on 👌🏻And with a bit of luck coincides with a take over to end this shit nightmare we are in … incoming !!! Do ya worse Ralph clappers 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Mr X said:

So are you saying RH is a good manager? 

He's definitely got something. Our spells of good form show that.

The next few games will tell us more about whether he can turn around this bad run or if it is time to move on. I could definitely see him getting another team overperforming though if he does leave.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Perhaps a change in the way we play is exactly what is needed, given our attacking/wide/10’s midfielders are completely ineffective. 

You haven't noticed how we have changed the way we play this season? No, probably not. You have consistently shown your lack of knowledge over the years. You have a vendetta, that we know. In fact, it even got to the stage where the majority had sussed you out so you created a new account for yourself. Come to that, it wouldn't surprise me if you had a few knocking about too. saDman.

On 28/09/2021 at 20:45, Bob76 said:

I don't think we have been creating good quality chances so far this season, the stats may say we have created a fair few chances but on Sunday for instance very few good chances were created

On a different subject I do find it strange that judging Ralph after three years is 'knee jerk' but writing a player off after six games is fine.

That simply was not true. It was our finishing that let us down. We had at least a half dozen good goal bound shots inside the box on Sunday that were either saved by the goalie or deflected by their players or our own. We seemed to snatch at our chances rather than try to place the ball in to the part of the goal that was the least well defended.

Maybe our lads are so desperate to score that instead of taking a few milli-seconds to work out where to place the ball they panic and just blast it first time. Then again this could be the difference between top strikers at the big clubs and run of the mill strikers of other PL clubs.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Minsk said:

You haven't noticed how we have changed the way we play this season? No, probably not. You have consistently shown your lack of knowledge over the years. You have a vendetta, that we know. In fact, it even got to the stage where the majority had sussed you out so you created a new account for yourself. Come to that, it wouldn't surprise me if you had a few knocking about too. saDman.

😂 Lol. Let’s take a step back and calm down a second. There are a couple of points here, in this over aggressive post, which I’ll address. 

1. I was replying directly to your comment about trying someone like Tino RM and that requiring a change in how we play. The changes Ralph has made this season is completely irrelevant to that, as our attacking midfielders are still absolutely garbage. So as I said, perhaps a change would be welcomed. 

Given you’re clearly so far superior in terms of footballing knowledge than the rest of us on here, enlighten us as to what you’d do to change things around (Remember this is real life and not football manager).

2. Absolutely no vendetta here. Ralph is a deadman walking after the run we’ve been on in the last year and 0 wins in 5 hasn’t helped his cause this season. No other manager in this division would survive a run as bad as he’s been on. 

3. I assume you’re referring to SKD? As I understand he was banned. Not scared of baying mob of Ralph’s hipster clique who are so intelligent about football they cannot have a debate without being patronising. I Can’t talk for anyone else, but no other accounts on here from me. 

Edited by Dman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

That simply was not true. It was our finishing that let us down. We had at least a half dozen good goal bound shots inside the box on Sunday that were either saved by the goalie or deflected by their players or our own. We seemed to snatch at our chances rather than try to place the ball in to the part of the goal that was the least well defended.

Maybe our lads are so desperate to score that instead of taking a few milli-seconds to work out where to place the ball they panic and just blast it first time. Then again this could be the difference between top strikers at the big clubs and run of the mill strikers of other PL clubs.

That's where we will have to disagree, I don't think we have created many clear chances this season. It was telling on Sunday how Armstrong dropped back and wide to get the ball. I think it is easy to blame the forwards but, in my opinion, our formation and poor no 10's are just as much to blame.

Frequently the transition from defence to attack is so slow we are facing ten men when we attack which them makes it hard to create clear chances. Hopefully the team are still learning Armstrong's movement and he is still learning how the team play so things may improve in time.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

😂 Lol. Let’s take a step back and calm down a second. There are a couple of points here, in this over aggressive post, which I’ll address. 

1. I was replying directly to your comment about trying someone like Tino RM and that requiring a change in how we play. The changes Ralph has made this season is completely irrelevant to that, as our attacking midfielders are still absolutely garbage. So as I said, perhaps a change would be welcomed. 

Given you’re clearly so far superior in terms of footballing knowledge than the rest of us on here, enlighten us as to what you’d do to change things around (Remember this is real life and not football manager).

2. Absolutely no vendetta here. Ralph is a deadman walking after the run we’ve been on in the last year and 0 wins in 5 hasn’t helped his cause this season. No other manager in this division would survive a run as bad as he’s been on. 

3. I assume you’re referring to SKD? As I understand he was banned. Not scared of baying mob of Ralph’s hipster clique who are so intelligent about football they cannot have a debate without being patronising. I Can’t talk for anyone else, but no other accounts on here from me. 

I am perfectly calm thanks. Also, thanks for your 'patronising' reply (pot/kettle). Let me refer to your points in reverse order:

3. I am far from being alone in sussing out that you are so obviously SKD who stopped posting (wasn't banned, as well you know) at the same time you started. Strangely, or not, I can think of some other posters - Dell Days, Bournemouth (to give them their original names) - who also denied being who they were at first. 

2. If I could be bothered I could go back and dig out a number of posts from SKD which are virtually word for word. However, let's look at this: You clearly want to ignore the reasons for our change of form last season - numerous injuries, compacted fixture list, sacrificing league points for cup run, etc - as well as Ralph having us in the top 4 based on the previous year's results. A year ago you were very eager to point out that a calendar year's results don't prove anything; yet this year you want to condemn the manager for just that (again, without taking into account circumstance). Strange how all this has poured out since an unfortunate home defeat in a match most thought we would win. Not so strange that the anti-Ralph brigade don't want to give any credit for the 6 match unbeaten run prior to Sunday. Nor any credit for us actually having a better start the season than they themselves predicted (up on points compared to the same matches last season).

1a. I never said that I was 'superior in terms of footballing knowledge than the rest .... on here'. I did say that you have often displayed your lack of knowledge over the years (especially when you are on your usual vendetta crusade, which you deny being on). Entirely different things. if you bother going back to read through my posts you will find where I have explained why I don't think Ralph will be playing Tino at RM any time soon (but maybe he will prove that wrong tomorrow, who knows?) and why he picks certain players who then play in certain ways. Anyway, to reiterate somewhat: We certainly have been creating chances in matches. Not clear-cut easier to miss than score chances, but chances all the same. Against Wolves we created more than 3 times their chances and double the number on target. In the previous match (aside from the obvious penalty we were denied) we created better scoring chances than against Wolves, and again had twice as many shots on target as the opposition (no mean feat, even that was only 2 to their 1). So we are creating chances. Could we do better? Yes. Even Ralph admits that.

1b. It is your opinion that our 10s are all garbage. Fine, you are entitled to it. Personally, I think they all offer something, but none are the full package. Would I like them to be better than they are? Absolutely. I would love it if we had players like Grealish, Son, Fernandes, et al, but we are where we are financially and can't afford that type of player. So we have to make best use of what we have. We need to use each to their strengths whilst not being exposed by their weaknesses. Just as we should use the squad, formations, tactics, etc, according to who we are playing, who is available, form, etc. The top teams, no matter who is managing them, can afford to say we are going to play to system X and then go buy the best players to suit that system. We can't. Like all managers, Ralph has a preferred system and has started getting players in to suit that system; whilst also being brave enough (this season) to change system, formation and starting players accordingly as required. I can appreciate that, others seemingly can't. We have quite a few new players in our squad and team this season. They have had half-a-dozen difficult matches to start the season with. We haven't been outplayed in any of them, except the 2nd half of the first. We have matched or outperformed the opposition in all bar the first. Yes, even on Sunday when we lost to Wolves. Unfortunately, we haven't yet turned those performances into wins. But I'm sure we will soon. We need to be a bit quicker and slicker in our forward passing and more clinical when shooting. We need to play through the opposition. Not go 4-4-2 with wide wingers slinging the ball in the mixer as our only way of attempting to score; and especially not with one of those wingers being an 18 year old RB who has (very effectively) only played 6 matches at this level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Minsk said:

I am perfectly calm thanks. Also, thanks for your 'patronising' reply (pot/kettle). Let me refer to your points in reverse order:

3. I am far from being alone in sussing out that you are so obviously SKD who stopped posting (wasn't banned, as well you know) at the same time you started. Strangely, or not, I can think of some other posters - Dell Days, Bournemouth (to give them their original names) - who also denied being who they were at first. 

2. If I could be bothered I could go back and dig out a number of posts from SKD which are virtually word for word. However, let's look at this: You clearly want to ignore the reasons for our change of form last season - numerous injuries, compacted fixture list, sacrificing league points for cup run, etc - as well as Ralph having us in the top 4 based on the previous year's results. A year ago you were very eager to point out that a calendar year's results don't prove anything; yet this year you want to condemn the manager for just that (again, without taking into account circumstance). Strange how all this has poured out since an unfortunate home defeat in a match most thought we would win. Not so strange that the anti-Ralph brigade don't want to give any credit for the 6 match unbeaten run prior to Sunday. Nor any credit for us actually having a better start the season than they themselves predicted (up on points compared to the same matches last season).

1a. I never said that I was 'superior in terms of footballing knowledge than the rest .... on here'. I did say that you have often displayed your lack of knowledge over the years (especially when you are on your usual vendetta crusade, which you deny being on). Entirely different things. if you bother going back to read through my posts you will find where I have explained why I don't think Ralph will be playing Tino at RM any time soon (but maybe he will prove that wrong tomorrow, who knows?) and why he picks certain players who then play in certain ways. Anyway, to reiterate somewhat: We certainly have been creating chances in matches. Not clear-cut easier to miss than score chances, but chances all the same. Against Wolves we created more than 3 times their chances and double the number on target. In the previous match (aside from the obvious penalty we were denied) we created better scoring chances than against Wolves, and again had twice as many shots on target as the opposition (no mean feat, even that was only 2 to their 1). So we are creating chances. Could we do better? Yes. Even Ralph admits that.

1b. It is your opinion that our 10s are all garbage. Fine, you are entitled to it. Personally, I think they all offer something, but none are the full package. Would I like them to be better than they are? Absolutely. I would love it if we had players like Grealish, Son, Fernandes, et al, but we are where we are financially and can't afford that type of player. So we have to make best use of what we have. We need to use each to their strengths whilst not being exposed by their weaknesses. Just as we should use the squad, formations, tactics, etc, according to who we are playing, who is available, form, etc. The top teams, no matter who is managing them, can afford to say we are going to play to system X and then go buy the best players to suit that system. We can't. Like all managers, Ralph has a preferred system and has started getting players in to suit that system; whilst also being brave enough (this season) to change system, formation and starting players accordingly as required. I can appreciate that, others seemingly can't. We have quite a few new players in our squad and team this season. They have had half-a-dozen difficult matches to start the season with. We haven't been outplayed in any of them, except the 2nd half of the first. We have matched or outperformed the opposition in all bar the first. Yes, even on Sunday when we lost to Wolves. Unfortunately, we haven't yet turned those performances into wins. But I'm sure we will soon. We need to be a bit quicker and slicker in our forward passing and more clinical when shooting. We need to play through the opposition. Not go 4-4-2 with wide wingers slinging the ball in the mixer as our only way of attempting to score; and especially not with one of those wingers being an 18 year old RB who has (very effectively) only played 6 matches at this level.

To quote William Shakespeare 

“What a load of bollocks”.

RH wouldn’t get into many PL clubs now, his stock has taken a dive in the past twelve months.

Went from being a rumoured Chelsea/Arsenal target to even the majority of our fan base no longer wanting him.

I do find him quite uninspiring now, sounds permanently deflated and not very motivational, but then we don’t see what happens behind closed doors, but even that said it doesn’t transpose well given what we see on the pitch.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Have you wiped 2020 from memory? 

The past gradually counts for nothing - we are nearing 2022 and the last 9 months have been depressing, confusing, illogical and mind numbing. I’ve lost faith in him completely and just because “there is no one else out there” I think it’s time the Board appointed someone who at least recognises a square peg from a round hole. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

A big day for Ralph, if we get a thumping he must be in big trouble.

Something has to change - formation, line-up, luck, manager, or all four.

But he has been here before after the first 9-0.

I'd have been one game from sacking him back then and he turned it around, if he can do it again, it needs to start now.

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

RH wouldn’t get into many PL clubs now, his stock has taken a dive in the past twelve months.

Went from being a rumoured Chelsea/Arsenal target to even the majority of our fan base no longer wanting him.

I do find him quite uninspiring now, sounds permanently deflated and not very motivational, but then we don’t see what happens behind closed doors, but even that said it doesn’t transpose well given what we see on the pitch.

Quite apart from the horrendous record Ralph has in 2021, I keep coming back to the point someone made about him (Vectis Saint?)....if he wasn't such a likeable, passionate character he would probably have been gone some time ago.

On 30/09/2021 at 10:49, the saint in winchester said:

So, someone has to say this ....

Ronald Koeman could well be on the market soon. Are we interested, or do we just think he was lucky to have Mane, Pelle etc on his watch?

Pelle WOULD come back btw, he has said that on Insta. 

I don’t know if going back ever works. Also, he was too big for the club (Les & Co) last time, this lot couldn’t and wouldn’t attempt to handle him.

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The past gradually counts for nothing

Maybe so, but MLG was simply correcting Lord D's assertion that we've not had good spells of form under RH. Given we were the 4th best team in 2020, Lord D is obviously incorrect in his assertion. That is all. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t know if going back ever works. Also, he was too big for the club (Les & Co) last time, this lot couldn’t and wouldn’t attempt to handle him.

But that was a clash of egos as much as anything, and since then RK has gone on to achieve not a lot in multiple ‘bigger’ managerial roles. Maybe he’s the managerial equivalent of Billy Sharp; too good at one level, not quite good enough at the next? 

I’m not advocating getting rid of Ralph yet, but if we did Koeman would make a lot of sense as a replacement. 

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The past gradually counts for nothing

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Maybe so, but MLG was simply correcting Lord D's assertion that we've not had good spells of form under RH. Given we were the 4th best team in 2020, Lord D is obviously incorrect in his assertion. That is all. 

Exactly trousers! 👍

• Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl