The Ralph Hasenhuttl Thread

14 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Personally I hope you’re right. But we did say the same about Koeman to Everton.

Money talks sadly, and a little bit of a boards ambition (or lack of) too.

Not quite the same as Koeman, who was a cast iron success across two brilliant seasons. And he was coming to the last year of his deal.

Unlike Ronald, I think Ralph will also feel some level of loyalty and comfort in his current role. He's got things as he wants them and he is The Man here.

Would be a bloody brave move by Purslow to go to the Villa fans an unveil as their new manager, to "take them to the next level", a guy that, er, finished below them last season.

So, I think there's a combination of us being able to stand firm, Ralph probably not being hugely desperate to move, and that the Villa fans will not be clamouring for him - all those things together mean to me its not that likely.

Personally I'm praying for Gerrard because that puts Villa right in the relegation mix.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Personally I hope you’re right. But we did say the same about Koeman to Everton.

Money talks sadly, and a little bit of a boards ambition (or lack of) too.

Have to wonder if the close working relationship with Crocker, and Semmens will be be a factor here, and the trust they've shown in him despite a run of poor results (far beyond five games Smith has lost). From what I read (may or may not have been true of course) the Koeman- Reed relationship wasn't on sound footing.

Strange though how after three wins in the last four games Ralph's stock is high again and he's linked to another job, didn't seem to be linked anywhere towards the end of last season.

• Like 2

Higher expectations, worse squad at Villa, plus here Hasenhuttl has a club and a fanbase that’s stuck by him through some low times, and a squad that’s settled with his tactics. At Villa it’d probably turn a bit toxic at the first sniff of trouble on account of him not being Dean Smith.

It’s possible he goes if Villa chuck a ridiculous amount of money at it like they did with Ings, but even that might not be enough. Very unlikely he goes I reckon.

Watching the betting odds is worse than useless with next manager market.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, St Louis said:

Ralph’s odds tumbling for the Villa job. He was 12/1 an hour ago and now 6/1 third favourite, behind Gerrard and Terry.

Personally I’d be gutted if he did leave us for Villa. But money and ambition talks I guess, and he wouldn’t get a Big 6 job (yet), so next best I suppose. 

This has a sniff of the Koeman to Everton (would never happen, just a sideways step) move…. 

Nothing like the Koeman situation as the board and manager are working towards an agreed goal. If Ralph feels he would be better off at Villa, that’s a different issue. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Nothing like the Koeman situation as the board and manager are working towards an agreed goal. If Ralph feels he would be better off at Villa, that’s a different issue. 

I simply mean with regards to many saying it would be a sideways step. In football terms I agree.

But we all know that money talks in reality. And having a little more freedom in the transfer market would probably appeal too, and sometimes just a new challenge.

I think Ralph does enjoy it at Saints, and I think he will also appreciate the support he’s had from both the board and fans, during a few very rocky patches (and 2 exceptionally poor results).

I’m a big Ralph fan, and I hope it’s no more than early paper talk. I like us having stability for a change and I personally think he’s getting the best out of a pretty average squad and a continued lack of funds, so long may that continue.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, St Louis said:

I hope it’s no more than early paper talk.

I don't see how it can be anything other than that at this stage TBH. I find it extremely unlikely that any member of the Villa board would have already been gobbing off to the press about which other currently employed managers they might be interested in trying to tap up. 

• Like 1

Smith got the sack because of his form across the calendar year of 21. 18 league defeats across the second half of last season and then this season.

Only one manager has delivered as many Premier League defeats as that in the same time. No prizes for guessing who.

Feels like quite a tough sell to the Villa fanbase.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't see how it can be anything other than that at this stage TBH. I find it extremely unlikely that any member of the Villa board would have already been gobbing off to the press about which other currently employed managers they might be interested in trying to tap up. 

This passage made me think that they have indeed been gobbing off to the press. Just as they did with JWP. They certainly seemed to have put the word out that they're not interested in Terry.

image.png.a5cf3304768a6c4f352c2bcbaf1007a2.pnghttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/07/aston-villa-sack-dean-smith-head-coach

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Am I right in thinking that of the current bunch, only Klopp, Pep and Dyche have now been managing their clubs at the Premier League level for longer than Ralph has?

Bielsa has been in the job longer. Ralph is currently the 5th longest serving premier league manager. And long may he stay. 

• Like 2

Gerrard won't leave Rangers for Villa. If I was a betting man I would probably stick a tenner on Fonseca and another on a Lampard/Terry dream team.

Doubt RH will go, after the board have stuck with him through thick and thin he would piss a lot of people off by jumping ship for another mid table club. Its taken him 3 years to get us to this stage, he won't get that luxury at any other club in the top flight.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Norwich apparently also keen according to Sky

🤣

I can understand the slight chance of Villa given their resources, but Norwich... 🤣 They're one of the few teams in this league with less money than us and are a certainty to go down again this season even if they did win at the weekend. I can't see any attraction in leaving us for Norwich.

Just now, HarvSFC said:

🤣

I can understand the slight chance of Villa given their resources, but Norwich... 🤣 They're one of the few teams in this league with less money than us and are a certainty to go down again this season even if they did win at the weekend. I can't see any attraction in leaving us for Norwich.

Norwich shortlist Frank Lampard, Dean Smith and Southampton's Ralph Hasenhuttl for new boss | Football News | Sky Sports

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Who's putting his name in the press?

That's Villa and Norwich consecutively now.

This smacks of agent stuff.

Villa I imagine is genuine interest from their side, Norwich is sky so prolly a sky bet thing

I think all this attention on Ralf is another example of how most people (pony) rate him as an excellent manager and is getting good results out of a limited budget team.

We play a style that is pleasing to most fans. To suggest a contracted Manager in your own league shows alot of positives for Ralf and Saints, we are flattered but.......pony off!

He is not done with this masterpiece he is sculpting SFC.

14 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I think all this attention on Ralf is another example of how most people (pony) rate him as an excellent manager and is getting good results out of a limited budget team.

We play a style that is pleasing to most fans. To suggest a contracted Manager in your own league shows alot of positives for Ralf and Saints, we are flattered but.......pony off!

He is not done with this masterpiece he is sculpting SFC.

Each to their own I guess, but I wouldn't be too upset if he went to Villa - specially if there is the claimed £10M compo.

I'm not calling for his head but I don't really want 3 more years of what we've had in the last 3. Yes we might be worse off but I would hope we can find someone who can improve us even just a bit more. There must be an up and coming exciting manager we could take a punt on (again only if Ralph is poached). How's Marians Pahars doing these days?

• Like 1
  • Confused 10
15 minutes ago, Red said:

Each to their own I guess, but I wouldn't be too upset if he went to Villa - specially if there is the claimed £10M compo.

I'm not calling for his head but I don't really want 3 more years of what we've had in the last 3. Yes we might be worse off but I would hope we can find someone who can improve us even just a bit more. There must be an up and coming exciting manager we could take a punt on (again only if Ralph is poached). How's Marians Pahars doing these days?

I hope this is a joke

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Red said:

In the summer I'd have paid for his taxi up there, but credit to him, he's got us playing this season, sorted the defence, and shown more tactical flexibility. Yep. I'm fickle, but on recent performances, I'd want him to stay. 

If he's offered a massive pay hike, money for transfers, and still plenty of autonomy, I wouldn't be surprised if he was tempted though. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Red said:

Have you really forgotten Pellegrino, it's what gets me through the 9-0 flashbacks.

I'll stick with RH if he sticks with us.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Red said:

Honestly, each to their own and what not. But you just removed any credibility with most users of this forum 😅. Might be Lord D's new favourite poster though... swings and roundabouts I guess 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Red said:

With the funds and squad he has had to work with, he's done a great job just keeping us where we are. Only Norwich have a lower net spend. I wouldn't blame him if he did go somewhere else where he'd have more to work with but I really hope he stays. Most fans i know from other clubs really rate him....Based on some of the stuff on here,it's mainly saints fans that dont

Edited by jimmer42
1 hour ago, Red said:

As much as I would like Pahars to be a top manager, his last job was in Serie D earlier this year, managing just five games - One draw, four losses.

I hope you’re on the windup.