adriansfc

Saints v Everton build-up

This looks like a season defining game to me. I'm undecided whether we're actually rubbish or if it's more complex than that, given we do perform alright in some games.

I hope the players don't think 2 vaguely acceptable losses at City even comes close to making up for the Leicester game. Quite simply, nothing short of working twice as hard as Everton, running themselves into the ground and winning this match will do.

Everton are just a more expensive version of us really. Massively underachieving, with an inferior manager IMO. Very beatable if we get at their defence. We won't keep a clean sheet, so we'll need 2 or 3 goals.

Vital Ralph starts to form a proper attacking team now.

McCarthy

Cedric Bedarek Vesterguard Hojbjerg

JWP Romeu Armstrong

Djenepo Ings Redmond

McCarthy

Valery Bednarek Stephens Vestergaard Cedric

Jwp Hojbjerg

Djenepo Redmond

Ings

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

McCarthy

Valery Bednarek Stephens Vestergaard Cedric

Jwp Hojbjerg

Djenepo Redmond

Ings

How do you drop Romeu after his performance yesterday?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Will Djenepo even be fit for this ?

Going against my feelings this summer I wouldn't mind seeing Boufal given a chance in this game if we're looking for someone with individual skill to carve an opening.

How do you drop Romeu after his performance yesterday?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Was a toss up between him JWP or Hojbjerg. As I feel we need a back 5.

Redmond Djenepo and Ings on the break. I thought Ward Prowse had a good game aswell.

What would Your team be?

Or are you only going to criticise other peoples opinions on what team to go with?

Got to find a way to fit 3 attackers (Redmond, Djenepo & Ings) into the starting XI.

Hopefully Cedric will be back.

Gotta stick with what we had at City really

Mccarthy

Vestergaard Stephens bednarek

Valery jwp romeu Hoj

Djenepo ings redmond

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Everton will be looking to kick start there season - We seem perfect for that just now.

Potentially Everton with a new manager too.

0-2

I assume as Valery went offer injured against city we don't actually have any fit/not suspended fullbacks available?

Cedric didn't look far off about a week ago, reckon he will be back unless he has had a setback.

If any consolation in Everton Spurs both teams look poor and low on confidence.

Think I'd rather an everton win. They're a classic one step forward two steps back side. If they lose and sack Silva I'd be more worried.

We can definitely beat them though.

Not sure why so many people are still so set on a back 5. It hasn't helped us defend better, we have less of the ball in midfield, it doesn't suit our strengths and it's not what our manager intended. He's become cautious and it's not helped one bit.

433 or 4222 please.

Just taken a knock, he'll be alright.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think his leg is broken. Mina is injured too. There are quite a few minor injuries as well. That game was really dirty: lots of sly fouls and diving. Richarlison thinks he's Tom Daly. There will certainly be enforced changes to the Everton team when they face us but Richarlison will still be up for any diving competition.

I think his leg is broken. Mina is injured too. There are quite a few minor injuries as well. That game was really dirty: lots of sly fouls and diving. Richarlison thinks he's Tom Daly. There will certainly be enforced changes to the Everton team when they face us but Richarlison will still be up for any diving competition.

No think about it. That's him out all season + some

I think he could be in for a tough afternoon personally. It's hard to dive when there isn't a defender within five yards of you.

They look without identity, a bit lost and suffering from a changing line up, disorganised defence. So not that dissimilar.

But given our position, we simply have to win. Our most winnable home game of the season so far by miles. If we start with a back 5 and 2 or 3 defensive midfielders then don't win, it might be time for Ralph to go. Even though I like him, a manager showing that much fear and caution isn't going to go well.

As much as I want to take some twisted, sick bonus from them losing Gomes to that horrendous injury.

I reckon they’ll be in the dressing room next week, pumped to go out and beat us and get themselves out of trouble because of his injury..

Gutted for Andre Gomes. The expression on his face was heartbreaking. Scared for his career. My thoughts go out to him and hoping he can make a full recovery.

JWP needs to play as they are the worst side in the league for defending set pieces, probably a good reason for Stephens and Vestergaard as well (who also played well vs man city).

We are at home, which worries me, I'd fancy our chances more away from home, put more pressure on them.

But they are highly unlikely to defend deep, they play out from the back, (and unlike Leicester who do that they are not very good) so that will suit us, first goal will be massive.

And yeh getting up for the game to almost get a draw at City means nothing if we lose at home to a team just above us.

Our fixtures have been tough, 4-5 of the team's above us have had much easier runs than us, so its up to the team to show they are better than those teams.

Interesting looking at the 4 at the back or 5 at the back issue.

According to sky we have started 6 games with a back four and 5 games with back five

With four at the back we have W1 D1 L4

With five at the back we have W1 D1 L3

So err yeah doesn't really seem to matter which set up we go with we are equal crap at both...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sigurdsson will probably come in and he always scores against us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Theo Walcott hasn't scored in 11 games this season .... we all know the script. Probably worth a visit to ladbrookes.

Theo Walcott hasn't scored in 11 games this season .... we all know the script. Probably worth a visit to ladbrookes.

Not sure we can bet on all of their players to score first ! :lol:

I've no idea how we should set up for this. Got to feel we should be starting on the front foot, but it would be catastrophic to go too attacking then get hit on the break by some dangerous players that Everton have...Do we keep it tight and then push in the second half, or do we just have a go? Difficult one...

Think I'd be tempted to go back to a 4 at the back, but it's a risk, especially if we're struggling for full backs, not sure we can play Hojbjerg as a LB...

-------------McCarthy

Valery - Bednarek - Stephens - Cedric

-------JWP Romeu Hojbjerg

Redmond - Ings - Djenepo/Boufal

According to sky we have started 6 games with a back four and 5 games with back five

So err yeah doesn't really seem to matter which set up we go with we are equal crap at both...

Our attack is better than our defence, and I think attacking teams is the way to get out of a relegation battle, especially against 'lesser teams'. When we add an extra centre back, we lose that attacking impetus, especially if Ralph persists on playing all 3 central midfielders that we have on the books. Personally I'd sacrifice a centre back and add three of Boufal, Adams, Djenepo, Redmond, Obafemi, Long or Armstrong to play with Ings in a 4 man attack. (Though ideally in my head our best 4 is Redmond, Djenepo, Boufal and Ings, though I wouldn't be far off including Adams as, goals aside, his work rate is decent, and goals will come eventually.)

Our attack is better than our defence, and I think attacking teams is the way to get out of a relegation battle, especially against 'lesser teams'. When we add an extra centre back, we lose that attacking impetus, especially if Ralph persists on playing all 3 central midfielders that we have on the books. Personally I'd sacrifice a centre back and add three of Boufal, Adams, Djenepo, Redmond, Obafemi, Long or Armstrong to play with Ings in a 4 man attack. (Though ideally in my head our best 4 is Redmond, Djenepo, Boufal and Ings, though I wouldn't be far off including Adams as, goals aside, his work rate is decent, and goals will come eventually.)
That was my point though we've started 6 out of 11 games with four at the back and it's made no difference at all. 4 at the back or 5 at the back our results are identically bad.

Personally I'm a fan of three/five at the back if you have decent wingbacks it can be very attacking and effective.

Of course right now we appear to have no available fullbacks on the left or right for this game. So I was suggest we go 4 at the back so which ever players, get the nod to play out of position as a fullback (Hoj and Stephens?), Can just keep it simple and concentrate on defending rather than trying to be an outlet out wide.

i think cedric being back for this game is really lucky for us as it would have been suicidal to play jwp or stephens there for 90 mins, digne is a real threat on their left, and anyone of those two would've struggled against him and the winger infront of him. sigurdson will come in place of gomes, so concentration levels should be as high as it was against city because set pieces will be a danger. all in all if we're as committed defensively as saturday and we inject a bit of intensity going forward in the shape of djenepo, i see no reason why we can't get the three points. they're not as fluid or as dangerous going forward as city are. their midfield and defence isn't as good either, so if we keep their chances to a minimum, and we cut out our own mistakes, then we can definately get the three points.

mccarthy

cedric stephens vest hoj

romeu jwp

armstrong djenepo

redders ings

i have doubts about playing stephens and vest togather, but adding another slow defender in bednarek won't make a difference, plus both put in commanding and committed performances against city.

2 - 1 with djenepo MOTM, my prediction.

Gutted for Andre Gomes. The expression on his face was heartbreaking. Scared for his career. My thoughts go out to him and hoping he can make a full recovery.

He'll be out for at least a year.

My teamate did the same thing 2 years ago and hasant played since. He had to lie on the pitch covered in coats waiting for an ambulance for over an hour. No pain relief, nothing. His ankle was hanging off. Horrible site.

i think cedric being back for this game is really lucky for us as it would have been suicidal to play jwp or stephens there for 90 mins, digne is a real threat on their left, and anyone of those two would've struggled against him and the winger infront of him. sigurdson will come in place of gomes, so concentration levels should be as high as it was against city because set pieces will be a danger. all in all if we're as committed defensively as saturday and we inject a bit of intensity going forward in the shape of djenepo, i see no reason why we can't get the three points. they're not as fluid or as dangerous going forward as city are. their midfield and defence isn't as good either, so if we keep their chances to a minimum, and we cut out our own mistakes, then we can definately get the three points.

mccarthy

cedric stephens vest hoj

romeu jwp

armstrong djenepo

redders ings

i have doubts about playing stephens and vest togather, but adding another slow defender in bednarek won't make a difference, plus both put in commanding and committed performances against city.

2 - 1 with djenepo MOTM, my prediction.

Bednarek will play, think he's the only player who has played every game under Hasenhuttl.

Bednarek will play, think he's the only player who has played every game under Hasenhuttl.

while that is true, stephens and vest played better than him at city. and stephens while he isn't any quicker than bednarek, i think he offers a bit more in our build up with his slightly more progressive passing. vest offers more in the air in both boxes, although his aerial dominance is massively under utilized as he gets beaten by players almost half his size as we saw a few times this season. maybe stephens with bednarek should work if we go with two CBs.

When we are so disciplined and dedicated as we were in Manchester, we should win. Discipline applies not only to defenders but also to attackers. Redmont against the whole defense does not work, Djenepo against the whole defense works not always. Should be a mixture of creativity and discipline.

On Saturday there will be a total of 33 players starting, and 17 subs for Saints. I guess we have 50 players available.

No idea who takes charge of the U21s tomorrow night following Jaidi's change of role, who knows what team will even be put out considering the games on Saturday.

Saturday 9th Nov

Reading U18s v Saints U18s 11am

Saints U23s v Nottingham Forest U23s 1pm (not live)

Saints v Everton 3pm

Even though I firmly believe we can win this we will remain in the bottom three with eleven points the same as Villa and the Toffees. Our negative goal deficit will take some getting out of. We will need to win our next four games with a couple of 4-0 s to make a change. It's going to be another tough Christmas for us.

Edited by hasper57saint
Repeated words

Depends how you look at the fixtures. Some were games you wouldn't expect us to win anyway, and some I can understand going with a back 5, Others were just negative line ups

Hopefully the Everton that played the last 2 seasons at St Mary's turn up. Probably 2 of the worst performances (the first in particular) you're ever likely to see from an away side.

I suspect it'll be:

--------------------McCarthy----------------

--Valery--Bednarek--JV--Stephens--Hoj--

--------- Romeu---Armstrong--JWP----

-----------Redmond-----Ings-----------

Would prefer Djenepo to start over JWP/Armstrong but can't see us sacrificing a midfield man considering how weak we are at full-back.

Entertaining game, 2-1 Saints or 2-2.

I'm wondering if we'll have another clean sheet this season. Thus all out attack may be our only salvation ;-)

Koeman’s rule, two at the back against one up front, three at the back against two upfront. Everton only play with Richarlison up top...

Hopefully the Everton that played the last 2 seasons at St Mary's turn up. Probably 2 of the worst performances (the first in particular) you're ever likely to see from an away side.

I suspect it'll be:

--------------------McCarthy----------------

--Valery--Bednarek--JV--Stephens--Hoj--

--------- Romeu---Armstrong--JWP----

-----------Redmond-----Ings-----------

Would prefer Djenepo to start over JWP/Armstrong but can't see us sacrificing a midfield man considering how weak we are at full-back.

Entertaining game, 2-1 Saints or 2-2.

Djenepo's cameo on Saturday was quite stunning. He is not only a direct, evasive runner with the ball, but his eye for a pass stands out too. I suspect he is the one player we have that a "bigger Club" are going to come in for......even if we do stay up. Ralph has to play at least 3 attacking players - and I would prefer 4. Surely it's 2 CBs. As good a committed defensive effort as last Saturday was, we have to be more attack minded this week.

Koeman’s rule, two at the back against one up front, three at the back against two upfront. Everton only play with Richarlison up top...

Koeman had Fonte and Van Dijk / Alderweireld and Clyne at RB, with Wanyama and Schneiderlin protecting them. Completely different.

Depends how you look at the fixtures. Some were games you wouldn't expect us to win anyway, and some I can understand going with a back 5, Others were just negative line ups
Well according to the sky match reports five of those games, where we started 4 at the back where at home, against Liverpool, Man utd, Bournemouth, Chelsea and Leicester so I don't think you can really accuse Ralph of being negative at home by starting 3 at the back. The only time we have won starting 4 at the back was away to Brighton and iirc we woeful in that game to.

We've only started with three at the back away from home. Those games where against Burnley, Sheff utd, Spurs, wolves and man city. You'd have to say that was probably the right call expect against Burnley which was a frigging disaster.

I think the bigger problem is a lack of change during games from Ralph. Spurs is the stand out one Ralph sticking with a back three even after spurs went a man down was clearly a **** up.