Jump to content
Batman

Summer 2020 transfer business

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
Quote

 

Yup got to agree, on his day he is an absolute beast of a player that can do it all. I wouldn’t be selling him yet tbh as he could be a massive player in the push for the 10, he always pops up with important goals aswell.

Ntcham when he wants is the best technical player on our team without a doubt. The fact he gets by without playing at full capacity, I think he knows he’s too good for the league so just turns it on when he feels like it. Think he has as high a ceiling of what Eddy and dembele can reach It’s just whether he wants to haha. Frustrating, but I think if we sold him for under 10 mil to the prem it would then be such a regret cos he’d probably then have the motivation to put in those consistent performances being in a bigger league. Think we should take a good offer this summer if we get it, only because of the consistency. We would miss his quality

 

Couple of Celtic views on him, they don't doubt his quality or ability - just inconsistent.

CCou
 
 
 
Edited by S-Clarke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Couple of Celtic views on him, they don't doubt his quality or ability - just inconsistent.

CCou
 
 
 

Sounds perfect for us to be honest. Hope it happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Aren’t these the types of attitudes we should be avoiding? 

Good point. Lemina comes to mind, to name just one. That being said, probably worth the risk if it means offloading FF.

Edited by Dark Munster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Aren’t these the types of attitudes we should be avoiding? 

Is inconsistency always down to having a bad attitude?

There can be many reasons for it, and its the nature of the marketnwe shop in. Every player will have certain question marks - otherwise a better team than us would have already bought them.

Edited by Dusic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Aren’t these the types of attitudes we should be avoiding? 

A lot of what they've said is just fan speculation. Maybe he finds it difficult to get motivated in the spl and would turn it on more in the best league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone watched a fair amount of Ntcham or know what type of CM he is?

I had a quick look on the (ever reliable) Youtube and some highlights. Seems a neat passer of the ball, bit of skill, seems to pop up on the edge of the box and score a few goals. 

Didn't strike me as much of a ball winner/interceptor or particularly combative. Whilst I'm not a big PEH fan, when he does go I think we'll miss that energy in the middle and it will need to be replaced (hopefully with someone that can do that AND pass forwards). Just interested to see if Ntcham is that type of player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Has anyone watched a fair amount of Ntcham or know what type of CM he is?

I had a quick look on the (ever reliable) Youtube and some highlights. Seems a neat passer of the ball, bit of skill, seems to pop up on the edge of the box and score a few goals. 

Didn't strike me as much of a ball winner/interceptor or particularly combative. Whilst I'm not a big PEH fan, when he does go I think we'll miss that energy in the middle and it will need to be replaced (hopefully with someone that can do that AND pass forwards). Just interested to see if Ntcham is that type of player?

West Ham fans seemed to rate him when they were linked with him in January (I'm not sure if endorsement by West Ham fans can be considered a good or bad thing though!)

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-fans-react-to-links-with-celtic-ace-olivier-ntcham/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

need to have a yoootube on him.

 

Looks like a very decent finisher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Elynoussi has decided to stay on loan at Celtic for another season according to the same journo who broke the story on him joining us in the first place 

 

 

 

Elyounoussi + Forster for Ntcham or Ajer would do for me.

 

Get both off the wage bill, take the hit on any fees, gain a good player in a position we need to strengthen. Celtic not having to pay fees for both should hopefully free up some room to pay them a competitive wage.

 

It doesn't seem likely I know ... the big wages we have our outcasts in seems to be a real anchor in shifting any of them on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

need to have a yoootube on him.

 

crikey....he looks exciting...comfortable with both feet at that age....something Michael Owen for one never was. If we get this kid ahead of others I would regard that asa coup based on that video..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a better player than Obafemi already..but lots of players look good at youth level....could he make the step up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

 

Elyounoussi + Forster for Ntcham or Ajer would do for me.

 

Ajer would be better although he's likely to have better options, and possibly chance to join Brendan at Leicester. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Elynoussi has decided to stay on loan at Celtic for another season according to the same journo who broke the story on him joining us in the first place 

 

 

Can only hope it's to help facilitate a p/x deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frustrating that, was hoping he'd have been one of the ones to permanently fuck off. 

Another year of loans for Elyounoussi, Hoedt, Carrillo, Forster and Lemina it is then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Frustrating that, was hoping he'd have been one of the ones to permanently fuck off. 

Another year of loans for Elyounoussi, Hoedt, Carrillo, Forster and Lemina it is then.

It's the hope that kills you.

Think we had 20 players out at one point this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’s very highly rated by the Arsenal fans, more so than Nketiah. According to their forums, they saw Balogun, Martinelli and young midfielder Azeez as the future of their attack alongside the established Saka. But apparently Balogun has only one year left on his contract and is stalling on a new contract as he wants first team football and with Nketiah and Saka seemingly preferred he may not get it there if Aubamayang and/or Lacazette stick about. Mooted fee of around £8-10 million. Would be seemingly a decent signing for potential based on what I’ve read but where would that leave Obafemi and N’Lundulu? Not to mention Adams who I would guess we might be looking to cash in on if Leeds still hold a candle for him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Looks like a very decent finisher 

Yup - strikes the ball more cleanly than Adams did in his highlights, that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SNSUN said:

He’s very highly rated by the Arsenal fans, more so than Nketiah. According to their forums, they saw Balogun, Martinelli and young midfielder Azeez as the future of their attack alongside the established Saka. But apparently Balogun has only one year left on his contract and is stalling on a new contract as he wants first team football and with Nketiah and Saka seemingly preferred he may not get it there if Aubamayang and/or Lacazette stick about. Mooted fee of around £8-10 million. Would be seemingly a decent signing for potential based on what I’ve read but where would that leave Obafemi and N’Lundulu? Not to mention Adams who I would guess we might be looking to cash in on if Leeds still hold a candle for him...

I'm yet to be convinced by Obafemi. Not sure he has the right mindset or skill level to make it in the premier league but we will see. I also think Ralph has reservations about this going by his recent comments.

N'Lundulu did look good when playing for the Under 18s but seems to have stalled recently after a bad injury?

I think Adams deserves another season here as genuinely think he has the attributes to succeed. Ralph clearly believes in him but he does need to start scoring goals sooner rather than later. 

If there's a promising young striker who is available for a low fee then we should go for it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we dodged a bullet with Jean-Kevin Augustin, Leeds may be entering a legal battle NOT to sign him: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, TWar said:

Looks like we dodged a bullet with Jean-Kevin Augustin, Leeds may be entering a legal battle NOT to sign him: 

 

Did he even play a full game for them? Sort of expensive signing we normally make these days!

Edited by skintsaint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2020 at 15:20, Saint Matty 76 said:

Frustrating that, was hoping he'd have been one of the ones to permanently fuck off. 

Another year of loans for Elyounoussi, Hoedt, Carrillo, Forster and Lemina it is then.

when you make recruitment mistakes in the Prem you really do end up paying for them. Just a couple more years and then we can start a fresh. Just need to hang on until then and make every signing count. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

In English?

Midfielder Anderson Talisca, revealed in Bahia and today in Guangzhou Evergrande, is a target of interest for Southampton, England. According to Bahia Notícias, businessmen linked to the English club contacted the player's staff to find out about his situation.

The people linked to the midfielders maintained contact with the agents of the Premier League club. However, the 26-year-old has no interest in leaving China at the moment, which makes any kind of negotiation unfeasible.
 
Talisca returned to China last week and is awaiting the return of competitions in the country after the stoppage due to the pandemic of the new coronavirus. The athlete, who has a contract with Guangzhou Evergrande until July 2022, spent two months in Brazil during the health crisis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Tom Heaton be an option for us next season if villa go down? 34 years old and only started back training after knee injury but a very decent keeper on his day. Age doesn't fit our usual profile but for a season or two could do a job for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Would Tom Heaton be an option for us next season if villa go down? 34 years old and only started back training after knee injury but a very decent keeper on his day. Age doesn't fit our usual profile but for a season or two could do a job for us. 

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

No

On age and injury you're probably right although I rate him higher than our current two choices, three if you include FF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walker Peters looks a quality player one what I’ve seen so far. We should snap him up if we can 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentioned as having interest in Ollie Watkins by David Ornstein in The Athletic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will surely just stay at Brentford if they go up, they are on fire at the moment, and a real chance of nicking that final auto promotion spot.

Good player though, and definitely the type of signing we should be making if they don't go up.  I'd quite like us to have a look at Saïd Benrahma too...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I'd want us to spend any major outlay on a striker. Ings is phenomenal but I think Che could easily be developed into our second forward and Obafemi + Long is fine depth in that position. If Ings gets injured we have a sharp drop in quality but that is the case for basically any side losing their striker outside City and Chelsea really. If we are spending the sort of 20m+ he would cost I would rather get an excellent ball playing holding midfielder to play alongside JWP as this is clearly our weakest position at the moment. Or a keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Or a keeper.

Would be horrified if we brought in another first team keeper with 3 on the books already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Would be horrified if we brought in another first team keeper with 3 on the books already.

Yeah a new keeper would be contingent on getting Forster out on a perm to Celtic or Arsenal/Chelsea and Gunn out on a loan in the championship or something to regain confidence and accumulate value. Bring in keeper to compete with McCarthy over the next season or two and surpass him and then when McCarthy moves on/retires Gunn can come back in as backup. Or we sell him if we get anywhere near the value we signed him for.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Will surely just stay at Brentford if they go up, they are on fire at the moment, and a real chance of nicking that final auto promotion spot.

Good player though, and definitely the type of signing we should be making if they don't go up.  I'd quite like us to have a look at Saïd Benrahma too...!

Watkins apparently has an £18m Buy-out clause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we are already well into July, is the transfer window officially open......? It’s all been very quiet.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 04/07/2020 at 08:35, SuperSAINT said:

Doesn’t seem like a Saints-type signing? 
 

https://www.bahianoticias.com.br/esportes/noticia/55130-empresarios-ligados-ao-southampton-fazem-sondagem-por-anderson-talisca.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just read up on him. I actually think he has quite a few hallmarks of being a typical Saints signing:

- Early to mid-20s? Tick (well, more or less...similar age to Ings when he signed for us)
- On fringes of national squad? Tick
- Played internationally at U20s/U23s? Tick
- Has never quite reached his potential but still time to improve? Tick
- Valued in the £15m - £20m bracket? Tick

Gotta at least be worth a quick gander at a YouTube compilation video?! :)
 

 

Edited by trousers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, trousers said:

https://www.bahianoticias.com.br/esportes/noticia/55130-empresarios-ligados-ao-southampton-fazem-sondagem-por-anderson-talisca.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just read up on him. I actually think he has quite a few hallmarks of being a typical Saints signing:

- Early to mid-20s? Tick (well, more or less...similar age to Ings when he signed for us)
- On fringes of national squad? Tick
- Played internationally at U20s/U23s? Tick
- Has never quite reached his potential but still time to improve? Tick
- Valued in the £15m - £20m bracket? Tick

Gotta at least be worth a quick gander at a YouTube compilation video?! :)
 

 

He is also on 150K a week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Mentioned as having interest in Ollie Watkins by David Ornstein in The Athletic.  

Unless we’re selling one of Adams or Obafemi, Watkins probably isn’t needed. Although that being said he’s probably better than both of them. 
 

for me, we need to prioritise a CM (preferably one who’s got a bit of creativity), CB and RB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})