Batman

Summer 2020 transfer business

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I still cant decide if Adams if not up to it or been unlucky. His early performances were good and i think his general play is okay. He had one off the line yesterday where if it had gone anywhere else it was a goal plus a great block for his other shot which was goal bound, other games there has been great saves,, lucky saves, hitting the woodwork,  its not like he's missing hatfuls of chances, he's been a matter of a couple on inches away from scoring another 4 or 5 times this season. I can only really remember a couple of times when he's missed a great chance and all strikers do that no matter how good. Unfortunately some people only look at stats not the bigger picture. I think he's worth persisting with as it is only his first season in the premier league. 

Stick with him is the way I feel.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Stick with him is the way I feel.

Agreed, I actually think he is forming a good understanding with Ings, he also holds the ball up well and wins a lot of headers.

We've got a team who are performing well without a major crisis in any given first XI area at the moment but could do with reinforcements across the board (especially given rumoured outgoings):

Assuming we were to sign KWP, depth at the fullback positions still remain a concern but this is largely dependant on how Ralph views Vokins and Valery.

Bednarek and Stephens have formed a decent partnership but Vestergaard isn't good enough. I think if Salisu coming in that could be a great purchase but a Yoshida replacement would be well-received as well.

Obviously a PEH replacement is needed - also potential to look at Reed for depth? It seems like Ralph isn't interested in Slattery for the time being.

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning a player on the left wing - Redders hasn't performed quite as well as he did last year and IIRC Djenepo favours playing on the right wing

And of course if Ings is gets injured...

Ultimately I think in addition to KWP and Salisu a CM is the key (In the mold of Keita as mentioned earlier)

If now is not the time for Sims or Reed to make inroads into the first team you have to really think about moving them on.

• Like 1

Redmond hasn’t produced the points needed from an attacking player but is so important for us anyway. Both in his press play and his ability to hold the ball and beat his man. Such a difference when he’s not playing. 

13 hours ago, LeG said:

We need:

A Striker who can be a class act and partner Ings

A box to box CM who can beat a man and pass forwards to replace the woeful clap slapper

KWP

CB x 2

GK with decent distribution.

Lets hope the scouts earn their corn this window.

Frustratingly, we already have most of these, they're just out on loan because they turned out to be awful.

Striker - Carillo

CMs - Lemina, Reed, Slattery

CBs - Hoedt, Yoshida

GK - Forster

Still leaving: Elyounoussi, Sims, some kids (Rose, Alfie Jones, O'Connor, Hesketh).

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, igsey said:

Frustratingly, we already have most of these, they're just out on loan because they turned out to be awful.

Striker - Carillo

CMs - Lemina, Reed, Slattery

CBs - Hoedt, Yoshida

GK - Forster

Still leaving: Elyounoussi, Sims, some kids (Rose, Alfie Jones, O'Connor, Hesketh).

Yoshida and Forster aren't currently on loan. One has left the club and the other is at Saints.

Why have you decided Reed, Jones, O'Connor and Slattery are 'awful'? Lemina would be a very useful player in the unlikely event of Hasenhuttl getting him onboard.

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

We've got a team who are performing well without a major crisis in any given first XI area at the moment but could do with reinforcements across the board (especially given rumoured outgoings):

Assuming we were to sign KWP, depth at the fullback positions still remain a concern but this is largely dependant on how Ralph views Vokins and Valery.

Bednarek and Stephens have formed a decent partnership but Vestergaard isn't good enough. I think if Salisu coming in that could be a great purchase but a Yoshida replacement would be well-received as well.

Obviously a PEH replacement is needed - also potential to look at Reed for depth? It seems like Ralph isn't interested in Slattery for the time being.

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning a player on the left wing - Redders hasn't performed quite as well as he did last year and IIRC Djenepo favours playing on the right wing

Ultimately I think in addition to KWP and Salisu a CM is the key (In the mold of Keita as mentioned earlier)

If now is not the time for Sims or Reed to make inroads into the first team you have to really think about moving them on.

We haven’t been linked With too many centre mids. Ntcham was the main one.

10 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

Dont get the buzz around KWP. IMO hes looked okay in some games (was awful against Arsenal). Hes too lightweight and gets muscled off the ball both defensively and offensively way too easy. Yes he looks a better option than Valery, but thats no mean feat as Valery has been shocking this season. Honestly believe if we want to push on for a top half/top 8 finish next season we need to set our sights higher than Spurs' third choice RB. Also the fact that Levy will try and squeeze us for every penny.

Would rather we pushed for Maehle or Zeefuik. Two stronger, more dynamic full backs - and both would likely be cheaper than KWP.

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Dont get the buzz around KWP. IMO hes looked okay in some games (was awful against Arsenal). Hes too lightweight and gets muscled off the ball both defensively and offensively way too easy. Yes he looks a better option than Valery, but thats no mean feat as Valery has been shocking this season. Honestly believe if we want to push on for a top half/top 8 finish next season we need to set our sights higher than Spurs' third choice RB. Also the fact that Levy will try and squeeze us for every penny.

Would rather we pushed for Maehle or Zeefuik. Two stronger, more dynamic full backs - and both would likely be cheaper than KWP.

I really can't agree with you there, I think he's been perhaps our best player (sans Ings) since the restart. Struggled a bit against United but has been among our best performers in every other outing.

6 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

I really can't agree with you there, I think he's been perhaps our best player (sans Ings) since the restart. Struggled a bit against United but has been among our best performers in every other outing.

We'll agree to disagree then. He certainly didnt play well in his 45 mins against Arsenal and as you said struggled against United. He didnt play against Norwich and only 45 against a knackered Brighton the other night. He would need to put in good performances in our last two games before we should consider paying 10-15 million for him. My opinion just.

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

We'll agree to disagree then. He certainly didnt play well in his 45 mins against Arsenal and as you said struggled against United. He didnt play against Norwich and only 45 against a knackered Brighton the other night. He would need to put in good performances in our last two games before we should consider paying 10-15 million for him. My opinion just.

Fair enough in your comments but what other right back have we had that has been better in the last 3 years?
KWP can be coached and improved under Ralph and I think he’s a good option for the price.

Am gonna say it.

KWP has given me the same level of hope at RB that I had when we had clyne operating there.

When he gets forward I believe he can beat his man and can make something happen.

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Am gonna say it.

KWP has given me the same level of hope at RB that I had when we had clyne operating there.

When he gets forward I believe he can beat his man and can make something happen.

I just want one that can defend tbh.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm...whoscored don't think very highly of him. And his record isn't great, 2 goals in 16 league career appearances. If he's going to cost more than £5million I think we're wasting resources that could be used elsewhere, and even at that amount seems like you're taking a punt. 

Screenshot_20200718-115200.png

In fact, if ever there was a case where I would say it was purely an agent trying to leverage the players position with regards to a contract or drum up some interest, I'd say this was it. 

Edited by Saint_clark

Maybe he will be to Salisu, what Bleidlis was to Pahars or Kleber Chala to Delgado... 😁

20 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Maybe he will be to Salisu, what Bleidlis was to Pahars or Kleber Chala to Delgado... 😁

The Ghanaian Juanmi. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

I'm with you Woodsaint, not convinced by a few appearances at the end of the season at all. Had his scuffed clearance v City lead to an equaliser I think the response on here might be different.

9 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Am gonna say it.

The Clyne comparisons are perhaps inevitable, although possibly just ' racial profiling' to use a phrase being bandied about at the moment.

For me the comparison doesn't fully stack up though, Clyne had played over 100 matches for Palace including some performances that took the eye in the League Cup, (Old Trafford for one) and was to some extent established, KWP  -according to Wikipedia - has played c 12 games for Spurs (probably an underestimate, I've read a figure of 20 something elsewhere, but point being at 22 he's pretty raw still).

Although of similar build Clyne seemed to have much more strength and wasn't easily brushed off the ball.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm with you Woodsaint, not convinced by a few appearances at the end of the season at all. Had his scuffed clearance v City lead to an equaliser I think the response on here might be different.

The Clyne comparisons are perhaps inevitable, although possibly just ' racial profiling' to use a phrase being bandied about at the moment.

For me the comparison doesn't fully stack up though, Clyne had played over 100 matches for Palace including some performances that took the eye in the League Cup, (Old Trafford for one) and was to some extent established, KWP  -according to Wikipedia - has played c 12 games for Spurs (probably an underestimate, I've read a figure of 20 something elsewhere, but point being at 22 he's pretty raw still).

Although of similar build Clyne seemed to have much more strength and wasn't easily brushed off the ball.

Yes, I likened him to Clyne because I’m a hideous racist, no other reason.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I think he has the same style of play on the ball, that's why I've likened him to Clyne. Similar height too, similarly agile.

But of course, it's a racist comparison.

Can anyone say anything in this world anymore? Or do we all lock ourselves away, avoid saying what we want in fear of outright outrage?

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, iansums said:

Yes, I likened him to Clyne because I’m a hideous racist, no other reason.

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think he has the same style of play on the ball, that's why I've likened him to Clyne. Similar height too, similarly agile.

But of course, it's a racist comparison.

Can anyone say anything in this world anymore? Or do we all lock ourselves away, avoid saying what we want in fear of outright outrage?

Was said tongue in cheek chaps, not seriously suggesting anything untoward in the comaprisons, although persoanlly I think Clyne was far ahead in his ability and what he offered when he joined us.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Was said tongue in cheek chaps, not seriously suggesting anything untoward in the comaprisons, although persoanlly I think Clyne was far ahead in his ability and what he offered when he joined us.

For sure, I get that. I don't think people are saying he's a like for like, but people are seeing similarities in his style of play I think. I see potential too, he's got a lot of growth in his game that a good coach could mould, but how much money I'd be prepared to shell out is questionable. It's a tricky call and one we'll have to trust Ralph with!

Posted (edited)

Ntcham captained Celtic tonight in their friendly.

(Moi scored)

Edited by SuperSAINT

23 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Have you seen a lot of Maehle and Zeefuik? I don't know anything about them really other than their position. Would be interesting to know their strengths.

For me KWP is a no brainer. He's had time with Ralph, with the team, playing our style, and proved he's (at the very least) capable at this level. With all the risks we've taken with players from abroad that haven't paid off I'm surprised anyone would think it's a bad idea.

1 hour ago, CWD said:

Have you seen a lot of Maehle and Zeefuik? I don't know anything about them really other than their position. Would be interesting to know their strengths.

For me KWP is a no brainer. He's had time with Ralph, with the team, playing our style, and proved he's (at the very least) capable at this level. With all the risks we've taken with players from abroad that haven't paid off I'm surprised anyone would think it's a bad idea.

I've seen quite a bit of Maehle (dont know much about Zeefuik i admit). Maehle is big for a RB so rarely gets outmuscled or beaten in the air (remember those dreaded hung up crosses to the back post targeting Cedric!!!). Very quick and offers good attacking threat. Unfortunately, I think we've probably missed our opportunity as a number of champions league clubs including Atalanta are now interested. Hope not.

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If Forster is back here then loaning Gunn out for a season of PL football would be good, but only if he was playing every week.

We need to sell off Forster, he is costing us an absolute fortune.

sell when his stock is high.

we need to be ruthless if we want to improve the squad elsewhere

It's interesting to me to see how down some 'fans' are on our own players; I tend towards the opposite, being if anything a bit too optimistic about our guys ... because I'm a supporter!

That said, I think our performances since November, and especially since the restart, show that we have the core of a very good PL team, capable of a strong top half performance. We do need to get stronger in a few areas, but only a few. If Hojbjerg goes we'll need another CM, because we can't be sure either Reed or Slattery can be a reliable backup to JWP and Romeu. We need at least one CB, two if Vestergaard goes; and ideally if we can find one who is better than Stephens or Bednarek, that'd be great ... but it won't be easy to find and sign a CB of that quality. OK, Stephens and Bed are no Rio Ferdinand or VVD, but if they were they wouldn't be playing for us; they have shown this year that they are a capable PL CB pairing.

We have good quality and variety up front with Ings, Adams, Long and Obafemi: all except Ings have shortcomings, but we're Southampton, not Liverpool or ManU! If we sign KWP and keep Bertrand we're solid at fullback, with Valery and Vokins as decent backups with potential to improve.

In other words, we really don't need that much: KWP, a good CB or two, and a CM; anything more would be gravy, but with those signings we could be very optimistic for next season, imo.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Would be fantastic if we could get someone to give us money for Gunn.

Relegated or promoted clubs probably our best bet.

59 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Relegated or promoted clubs probably our best bet.

There's a Norwich connection there of course.

Posted (edited)

Wait up....Think Citeh have first dibs on Gunn 😂

Edited by skintsaint

Eze is a logical target for Palace 

West Ham and Palace lead chase for Eze

Among the standout performers in this season’s Championship has been QPR forward Eberechi Eze and the 22-year-old’s progress looks set to be rewarded with a move to the Premier League.

Eze scored his 13th goal of the campaign in Saturday’s victory over Millwall and that is only likely to heighten the interest in a player who has a year left on his contract at the west London club.

West Ham boss David Moyes was in attendance at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium and The Athletic is told that the main contenders for Eze’s services are them and Crystal Palace. Although QPR want £20 million for the attacking midfielder, it is likely that they will have to accept considerably less.

Eze joined QPR as an 18-year-old after a successful trial and has registered 19 goals in 111 appearances to date. He played for England at youth level but also qualifies to represent Nigeria.

Linked to Omar Colley again in The Sun and other places referencing The Sun so take with a massive grain of salt.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Linked to Omar Colley again in The Sun and other places referencing The Sun so take with a massive grain of salt.

Desperately hope this one comes off for no other reason than my late nan had a collie called Omar.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Who Zeefuik does he think he is.

The biggest loss of this signing is that we won't get to make these puns. That leaves KWP or Maehle I suppose

Posted (edited)

This board know how to get business done.

Edited by LeG
  • Like 4

I'd imagine Salisu will be announced before Sheffield United, give our defenders a kick up the arse for the last game of the season.

• Like 1

Looking at his videos I don't think any team with Salisu in their back four would concede 9 goals at home.