Batman

Summer 2020 transfer business

Posted (edited)

Where did the idea of 2 new CBs come from?

Do we know LeG's post referred to another CB?

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Where did the idea of 2 new CBs come from?

If Vestergaard is sold and with Danso's loan ending it would leave Saints with only 2 senior centre backs. So 2 CB signings would be needed this summer. 

Has LeG suddenly become one to believe?

I know he's posted brief snippets in the past but didn't know him to be clued up transfer wise, thought that was just kbilly & guan. Not meant as a dig or anything.

Malang Sarr looks very interesting. Whoscored rates him highly - using his stats - at holding onto the ball, passing and intercepting. As a free agent could be an efficient use of funds as well, freeing up the transfer budget elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Malang Sarr looks very interesting. Whoscored rates him highly - using his stats - at holding onto the ball, passing and intercepting. As a free agent could be an efficient use of funds as well, freeing up the transfer budget elsewhere.

Also apparently has got quite a few clubs from Italy and Germany after him, but still. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Has LeG suddenly become one to believe?

I know he's posted brief snippets in the past but didn't know him to be clued up transfer wise, thought that was just kbilly & guan. Not meant as a dig or anything.

Not suddenly, been the case for quite a while now.

5 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Also apparently has got quite a few clubs from Italy and Germany after him, but still. 

Indeed.

Salisu, according to Whoscored, struggles with his passing and concentration. Sounds like a direct replacement for Vestergard 😂

Didn't realise we'd been linked with Sarr, he's a good player. Had some top clubs circling him over the last few years, don't think he developed as much as it was expected though - he was supposed to be a superstar a few years back.

Nowhere else to post this, but it's vaguely transfer window related...Birmingham City have retired the number 22 shirt in honour of 17 year old Jude Bellingham who has signed for Dortmund after making a whole 40-something appearances for them. What on earth.

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Nowhere else to post this, but it's vaguely transfer window related...Birmingham City have retired the number 22 shirt in honour of 17 year old Jude Bellingham who has signed for Dortmund after making a whole 40-something appearances for them. What on earth.

#tinpot

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Saw that yesterday. Absolutely insane.

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Lol. Tinpot. 

You have to ask yourself - is it time for us to build a statue of Gareth Bale. 

20 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

We have a healthy trading relationship with Sampdoria so could have legs this one 

even without would have more pace than JV

16 hours ago, LeG said:

Wow...its not just Salisu!!

Don't you just hate it when someone drops a firework like this and then just disappears??

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's two defensive signings for definite. 

Meaning this could also be a DM which we probably need, or a full back (KWP)

3 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Don't you just hate it when someone drops a firework like this and then just disappears??

Sorry! I had used up my 3 posts. Will have to use them carefully. With Danso returning, vesty off and yoshida OOC, that would leave us with just 2 CBs and Salisu.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LeG said:

Sorry! I had used up my 3 posts. Will have to use them carefully. With Danso returning, vesty off and yoshida OOC, that would leave us with just 2 CBs and Salisu.

Can't you edit your posts to include extra information? Or is that restricted to subscribers only?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Be interesting to know if we're looking at 2 x starting CBs. I'd guess no.

Maybe a younger player as backup? An 'old pro' as backup/experience in the dressing room (although I that would be a departure from our norm of course).

Surely one of the defensive signings is a right back?!?!

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It's two defensive signings for definite. 

I'm guessing it'll be someone who can play across the back 4, like Danso. Ralph likes a tight-knit squad.

13 minutes ago, Danbert said:

I'm guessing it'll be someone who can play across the back 4, like Danso.

The problem with Danso was he isn't up to playing as a centre back at this level.... let alone at fullback!

19 minutes ago, Danbert said:

I'm guessing it'll be someone who can play across the back 4, like Danso. Ralph likes a tight-knit squad.

Define play ....

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The problem with Danso was he isn't up to playing as a centre back at this level.... let alone at fullback!

I do feel for Danso a little, he didn't get many opportunities.

Though he may have not demonstrated enough to Ralph in training/when he did play to warrant more game time I expect he will have been disappointed to have essentially lost this season.

The fact he didn't even get a look in after safety was guaranteed shows our mind is made up on him not being able to cut it. When we signed him he did read like a player we could develop but evidently it's just not worked out for the lad.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Can't you edit your posts to include extra information? Or is that restricted to subscribers only?

No, it's not restricted as I have the same issues. 

Lallana returning seems to be popping up in a number of places. Re-signing a 32 year old doesn't seem to fit our model at all??? 

Just now, Viking Saint said:

Lallana returning seems to be popping up in a number of places. Re-signing a 32 year old doesn't seem to fit our model at all??? 

Only because journalists rehashed the original story. It originated in a Daily Express article that is riddled with errors and then other 'journalists' copied and pasted the story.

Lallana? Not on your life! Ralph is building a team for the future and he's on a four year contrract to do it. We are in for a good ride in the next few years and we wont be signing has beens

14 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

There *may* be some news before the game tomorrow...

Do we have a new ITK in our midst? If something happens before tomorrow's match then you can look forward to a long summer of people pestering you for snippets of info. 

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

Do we have a new ITK in our midst? If something happens before tomorrow's match then you can look forward to a long summer of people pestering you for snippets of info. 

Only if saying, "I’m going to flip a coin, it might be heads," counts as knowledge.

33 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

There *may* be some news before the game tomorrow...

would be surprised if there is. A transfer is a major announcement and the club will usually pick a non-match day to announce it. 

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Only if saying, "I’m going to flip a coin, it might be heads," counts as knowledge.

Directly before the game is pretty specific. If he said "in the next few days" then it would likely be just someone bullshitting but if it happens between 9am and 4pm tomorrow then I will buy this guy might have a source. 

In other news, someone should compile a list of ITKs and the things they have gotten right in order to keep track of who to trust. I hear LeG is good and he is saying positive stuff so am choosing to believe that one haha. 

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

would be surprised if there is. A transfer is a major announcement and the club will usually pick a non-match day to announce it. 

but maybe renewing a contract or making a loan permanent isnt so much ?

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Surely one of the defensive signings is a right back?!?!

Nope kwp is separate and hasn't been done yet but we do want to keep him. 

Edited by hypochondriac

11 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

...and it *may* not just be transfer news. 

Do I need to dust off the earlobe detector? 

19 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Meaning this could also be a DM which we probably need, or a full back (KWP)

Nah two defenders. Kwp separate. Not sure on other positions yet but those are the two we are finalising. 

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

Plus the transfer window officially opens on Monday so no real need to announce anything before then.

From the Echo article thats the case with Salisu, will likely be announced next week.

New contracts obviously don't count as transfers.

Personally don't think there are any real ITKs on here apart from KBilly and Guan, whilst Appy is very good on the early team sheets, probably from a media angle.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Plus the transfer window officially opens on Monday so no real need to announce anything before then.

From the Echo article thats the case with Salisu, will likely be announced next week.

New contracts obviously don't count as transfers.

Personally don't think there are any real ITKs on here apart from KBilly and Guan, whilst Appy is very good on the early team sheets, probably from a media angle.

How would people feel if we had new owners before the start of the new season? 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

How would people feel if we had new owners before the start of the new season? 

Let us know who and then we can answer the question better.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Let us know who and then we can answer the question better.

Yanks if all goes well. Tbh I don't think Gao has been that bad. He hasn't really done anything which is probably better than someone actively making things worse. I hope if this does come off that they have a hands off approach if possible. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yanks if all goes well. Tbh I don't think Gao has been that bad. He hasn't really done anything which is probably better than someone actively making things worse. I hope if this does come off that they have a hands off approach if possible. 

Hmm all depends on what the yanks plans are for the club, how they intend to finance the purchase etc etc. Agree to a point on Gao but unless he is gong to invest more than platitudes then he needs to go if we are going to move forward as a club.