Batman

Summer 2020 transfer business

9 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

As we will have limited funds, I'd like to think we would prioritise a right back and a replacement for Hojbjerg rather than a 4th centre back (in terms of amount of cash going on each position). I guess it also depends on whether we can persuade someone to buy Vestergaard. 

Agree completely, hoping this 4th center back stuff is just transfer talk.

13 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

I wonder if Les Reed negotiated a sell on clause with Liverpool for Lovren?

Being that Liverpool are selling him for less than they bought him for, unlikely.

Sell-on fees are generally about clubs profiting from onward sales as players reach their potential and their value goes up.

What’s the academy looking like for centre backs? Anyone who can feasibly be 4th choice?

Also, are any of the first team remotely feasible makeshift centre backs? I know Bertrand has played on the left of a back three, but has he ever played in the middle of a back four? Could Romeu slot in there if we got desperate?

I’m agreeing with those who say that spending millions on a fourth choice centre back seems like over-insurance, but am struggling to think up any credible options at all if we lost 2 of the main three. Maybe we need to go for a Danso-style loan deal?

What’s the position with Yoshida? Out of contract? Was he sold or loaned to Sampdoria? Not 100% against him returning for a year, but I guess that bird has flown.

Alfie Jones is a CB who was on loan at Gillingham last season but played mainly as DM for them. No idea if he would be good enough for 4th CB.

9 hours ago, Badger said:

An injury to Ings and we're left with Adams, Long and Obafemi.  We then put our trust in Adams maintaining his end of season form for a prolonged period next season.

Not sure I'd describe that as fine.

And who do Spurs have when Kane gets injured, or Wolves if Jimenez get injured, or Everton if Richarlison gets injured? In an ideal world you would have at least three very good strikers in case of injury, but problem is you have to keep them all happy. What we have at the moment in terms of striking options is enough for our top 8 ambitions. They can all score goals in the PL and offer something different. Long has just signed a new contract and Adams/Obafemi are still developing. None of them are going anywhere. Do you honestly propose buying a 5th striker? Would rather see a number 10 like Tadic brought in who can chip in with goals and help assist the strikers we have

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

And who do Spurs have when Kane gets injured, or Wolves if Jimenez get injured, or Everton if Richarlison gets injured? In an ideal world you would have at least three very good strikers in case of injury, but problem is you have to keep them all happy. What we have at the moment in terms of striking options is enough for our top 8 ambitions. They can all score goals in the PL and offer something different. Long has just signed a new contract and Adams/Obafemi are still developing. None of them are going anywhere. Do you honestly propose buying a 5th striker? Would rather see a number 10 like Tadic brought in who can chip in with goals and help assist the strikers we have

We can’t easily compensate for losing Ings, that’s obvious. Sure, Obafemi and Long up front doesn’t look like a goal rush, but we’d probably just need to provide better support from attacking midfield - Armstrong, Redmond and Djenepo all have goals in them. I also think Redmond can play as a striker if needed.

The CB I heard about is more experienced, can play RB as well and would certainly not be coming in as 4th choice. I'm quite excited by this one - hope we can get it done.

2 minutes ago, LeG said:

The CB I heard about is more experienced, can play RB as well and would certainly not be coming in as 4th choice. I'm quite excited by this one - hope we can get it done.

From the championship?

28 minutes ago, LeG said:

Can you give us age range?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, LeG said:

Duplicate

Edited by beavis17
Duplicate

30 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

From the championship?

Nope

Vertonghen is a free agent, experienced and can also fill in at RB when needed. Never going to happen though?

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Vertonghen is a free agent, experienced and can also fill in at RB when needed. Never going to happen though?

Played LB if I remember correctly

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I'm not sure Vertonghen plays right back? He generally only played as a centre back and a left back at Spurs. Not only that but I'd imagine his wages would be too high.

1 minute ago, Mikey88 said:

Played LB if I remember correctly

You're right, LB cover not RB. Might have been Toby that covered RB for them. We can rule him out then, rumours that united might be in for him anyway.

I thought Cahill would have been a good buy for us last season and experience is so important at CB. Think Vertonghen is 33 so not really a Saints signing (big wages and no residual value).

2 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Interesting...

44FBBD43-8D77-4C31-8F3A-483CE439312D.jpeg

He's 36?? Jeez. That pretty much rules us out of that one! Let everton sweep up these hasbeens.

59 minutes ago, LeG said:

nationality? current league? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LeG said:

Welcome back toby alderweireld!

PS I dont really think it's him

Edited by Turkish

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah, that's what I thought too, after LeG's update.

So, LeG is excited, and I would be too, if it were to be Toby. Toby it is (official update …… not!)

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

9 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Yeah, that's what I thought too, after LeG's update.

So, LeG is excited, and I would be too, if it were to be Toby. Toby it is (official update …… not!)

So KWP and TA for PEH???

14 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

So KWP and TA for PEH???

Are you sure Spurs cast offs would be good enough for us?

Whatever next, Harry Kane?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Weird that you would be so against joining. 

Looks like it's also become a bit of a personal issue between him and his club.

On top of which Berlin no doubt offers a bit more than Southampton as a city... 

Perhaps not dissimilar to the Hojberg situation in that our interest (as Everton's) might be being used to try and secure a better deal from Hertha.

Edited by Badger

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Looks like it's also become a bit of a personal issue between him and his club.

On top of which Berlin no doubt offers a bit more than Southampton as a city...

Maybe. You would just think the chance to play in the biggest league in the world would be a pretty big draw. I get if he preferred to go elsewhere but to be so against it is unusual for a player to come out and state in public. For that reason maybe better we moved on. 

Has that Christoph Klarer not developed as hoped? Just turned 20 last month and I always thought there was talk of him coming through as a centre-back. I know he's been on loan back in Austria this season.

Posted (edited)
On 27/07/2020 at 11:18, trousers said:

Hi @Earthworm Jim... did you take up @LeG's offer over the weekend to DM him the name/nationality etc of the other CB signing that you're aware of? Would be good to have another ratified 'ITK' member on here....

On 27/07/2020 at 10:56, Earthworm Jim said:

I've been told that it's not Disasi, but a Championship CB, although not been told who.

Was expecting two contracts to be announced yesterday - seems they are taking a little longer to finalise (although bet everyone can guess the two). 

Edit: @trouserssorry I'm not responding quicker - these 3 posts a day are rather inconsistent and now got no more posts for some reason?? I have given the league above as he asked. 

3 hours ago, LeG said:

Who's on #ITK_Watch duties this week...? :)

Edited by trousers

Weston McKennie has just landed in London. 
make of that what you will. 
probably not a lot tbh. 

14 minutes ago, saint lard said:

probably not a lot tbh. 

Apparently its only a stopover on his way back to Germany.

52 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Source?

58 minutes ago, saint lard said:

probably not a lot tbh. 

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Source?

Ah....

image.png

43 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Double "Ah"....

58 minutes ago, saint lard said:

probably not a lot tbh. 

Nothing to see here. He was on his way back to Germany from America and changed flights at Heathrow.

ImageImage

47 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Nothing to see here. He was on his way back to Germany from America and changed flights at Heathrow.

Do keep up @Matthew Le God FFS ;)

So, in conclusion, Mckinnie was in America talking to our new owners about his transfer to Saints....? ;)

28 minutes ago, trousers said:

So, in conclusion, Mckinnie was in America talking to our new owners about his transfer to Saints....? ;)

.....and he's just nipped back to Germany to collect his spare underpants. Signing tomorrow?

16 minutes ago, iansums said:

.....and he's just nipped back to Germany to collect his spare underpants. Signing tomorrow?

Yep... all adds up perfectly... as good as in the bag if you ask me

4 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Well if thats how he feels bollocks. Im old enough to remember Speedie and Dixon, niether of whom, wanted to be here and it showed

If you don't support Saints I've no idea how you choose to live in Southampton over Berlin. 

4 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

So KWP and TA for PEH???

If they really ARE going no higher than £15M cash for PEH alone, and want £10M for KWP, then £5M for TA - I would accept that valuation. That's Spurs' valuation, however.

I would value PEH at £25M, KWP at £5M and Toby at £10M, so I'd like another £10M in readies. However ...

Let's get whatever deal done, get clarity and move on.

10 minutes ago, CityRanger said:

Phil Jones?

In all seriousness, what about his previous partner in crime, Chris Smalling.

CB who can play RB, tick. LeG excited. Tick. Out on loan from Man Utd, leesee can't afford to buy him. 

Ooh, I can do this ITK stuff too.

1 minute ago, the saint in winchester said:

Duh. Do they have a West Quay in Berlin? Exactly.

No, Berlin is 150 miles from the sea! 😉