Summer 2020 transfer business

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11890703/ralph-hasenhuttl-promises-southampton-signings-in-january

I seem to remember Ralph saying exactly the same thing before and during the January transfer window. When nothing happened the cheerleaders on here claimed Ralph never meant any of that, it’s all okay because Vokins did alright in a game against one of the worst championship teams. I fully expect in a few weeks time Ralph will say the need to sign players is not urgent because *insert youth team players name* has proven himself to be further on than we thought. All the cheerleaders will applaud it and point out we can’t afford to buy anyone.

I'll point out now that "we can't afford to buy anyone". Pointing that out makes me realistic, not a "cheerleader". We were skint pre covid and getting tucked up by our former sponsors. We'll have to make do with what we have, kids, or a crappy loan/free/budget signing. 

7 minutes ago, egg said:

I'll point out now that "we can't afford to buy anyone". Pointing that out makes me realistic, not a "cheerleader". We were skint pre covid and getting tucked up by our former sponsors. We'll have to make do with what we have, kids, or a crappy loan/free/budget signing. 

That’s not what Semmens said the other day or what Ralph has been saying, but we’ve been here before haven’t we.. Let’s see if this transfer window pans out like the others before it when there wasn’t a global pandemic or getting tucked up by dodgy sponsors. 

Edited by Turkish
Just now, Turkish said:

That’s not what Semmens said the other day. 

True but I take that with a pinch of salt. Can't let the vultures know we're skint. You've seen the accounts Del, the £85m loan, and you know the way the world spin, especially now.

We need a huge injection of cash which we won't get, or we've got to duck and dive. I'm putting a wager on a loan midfielder from the Dutch or Turkish league, and a reserve winger from Arsenal or City, at best. 

5 minutes ago, igsey said:

£20m for a player Lyon fans really don't rate. Not sure Villa have learned their lessons from last summer.

1 goal in 23 last season in Ligue 1...7 in 33 the previous one. Not that exciting.

53 minutes ago, egg said:

True but I take that with a pinch of salt. Can't let the vultures know we're skint. You've seen the accounts Del, the £85m loan, and you know the way the world spin, especially now.

We need a huge injection of cash which we won't get, or we've got to duck and dive. I'm putting a wager on a loan midfielder from the Dutch or Turkish league, and a reserve winger from Arsenal or City, at best. 

I’d fully expect other clubs not to rely on public interviews with our chairman to gauge our financial situation. Every club is in the same boat, CV-19 much like agents fees and bonuses are not just unique to Southampton.  Ralph said we need to improve the squad, the chairman says we can, let’s see if we do. I fully expect in 6 weeks time some will be applauding our amazing pathway for youth using Ralph’s new narrative that he’s Now fine with the squad we have as their evidence. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’d fully expect other clubs not to rely on public interviews with our chairman to gauge our financial situation. Every club is in the same boat, CV-19 much like agents fees and bonuses are not just unique to Southampton.  Ralph said we need to improve the squad, the chairman says we can, let’s see if we do. I fully expect in 6 weeks time some will be applauding our amazing pathway for youth using Ralph’s new narrative that he’s Now fine with the squad we have as their evidence. 

We arrive at the same destination by different roads! 

A month ago or so I mentioned that Chelsea had gone in for Bednarek ( Self proclaimed ITK ). I was speaking to my source (a pal of mine) yesterday and was told that Chelsea weren’t willing to pay the fee required but that Saints are looking to sell him due to contract issues. He didn’t know anymore than that.  

Cant expect anyone to take that seriously due to me not having any credentials here but still think it’s worth mentioning for a discussion. 

Looked into his contract - signed a 5 year deal with 2 years left. Maybe he’s on a low wage? Hopefully somewhere else on here may have a better understanding of why there’s contract issues?

Just now, NorthLondonSFC said:

A month ago or so I mentioned that Chelsea had gone in for Bednarek ( Self proclaimed ITK ). I was speaking to my source (a pal of mine) yesterday and was told that Chelsea weren’t willing to pay the fee required but that Saints are looking to sell him due to contract issues. He didn’t know anymore than that.  

Cant expect anyone to take that seriously due to me not having any credentials here but still think it’s worth mentioning for a discussion. 

Looked into his contract - signed a 5 year deal with 2 years left. Maybe he’s on a low wage? Hopefully somewhere else on here may have a better understanding of why there’s contract issues?

I would imagine he's one of the 'group' which we identified for renewal, if he doesn't sign a new deal this window is probably the height of his value. We may decide to cash in, and then replace?

He certainly looked off it last weekend, even to be subbed at HT was a bit strange. He looks distracted, I'm not sure if that's just me reading too much into things though.

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Quite a few people I’ve spoken to, Saints fans all their lives, are really annoyed with the club at the moment.

I wonder if this feeling is spreading among the wider fan base?

I have to say that as a fan of many, many years standing, I am a little bit peed off with the club at the moment. The club asked for people to buy ST's when nobody has a clue if and when we will be allowed back in. I, along with thousands of others have done this in good faith. Other clubs have made signings and made play of them with photos and announcements etc. We have made two signings, KWP who was on loan last year and Salisu. The whole "mysterious" strung-out way that the Salisu signing was handled was very strange and somewhat underwhelming. This whole "low-key" manner that the club have adopted (along with the shirt sponsorship fiasco) is frustrating. It seems that we are letting everyone else have first choice and then seeing what is left over. I fully accept that we are never going to match most other clubs when it comes to spending but in this "Time of Covid" I think that we need a bit of excitement as fans, (especially those who have put their money where their mouth is and bought ST's upfront) and I am afraid that, apart from the two dismal performances so far this season, big announcements about new club commercial partners don't do it for me.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I have to say that as a fan of many, many years standing, I am a little bit peed off with the club at the moment. The club asked for people to buy ST's when nobody has a clue if and when we will be allowed back in. I, along with thousands of others have done this in good faith. Other clubs have made signings and made play of them with photos and announcements etc. We have made two signings, KWP who was on loan last year and Salisu. The whole "mysterious" strung-out way that the Salisu signing was handled was very strange and somewhat underwhelming. This whole "low-key" manner that the club have adopted (along with the shirt sponsorship fiasco) is frustrating. It seems that we are letting everyone else have first choice and then seeing what is left over. I fully accept that we are never going to match most other clubs when it comes to spending but in this "Time of Covid" I think that we need a bit of excitement as fans, (especially those who have put their money where their mouth is and bought ST's upfront) and I am afraid that, apart from the two dismal performances so far this season, big announcements about new club commercial partners don't do it for me.

It is like this at every start of the season.

Last year the Danny Rohl fiasco went well into october until it was announced he had joined Bayern.

This year it is a global lack of communication, no coverage of pre season, no focus on new signings made.

It is all very well having a CEO on every now and then updating fans on when if they can return to the stadium and how his relationship with is rock solid since 9-0 spanking but you need a lIttle more than that.

25 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Last year the Danny Rohl fiasco went well into october until it was announced he had joined Bayern.

That is not true.

Rohl leaving and his replacement joining both happened in August 2019.

6th August Rohl announced as leaving...

23rd August, Richard Kitzbilcher announced as his replacement...

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

This year it is a global lack of communication, no coverage of pre season, no focus on new signings made.

It is all very well having a CEO on every now and then updating fans on when if they can return to the stadium and how his relationship with is rock solid since 9-0 spanking but you need a lIttle more than that.

You have been MLG'd!!!😁

3 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Quite a few people I’ve spoken to, Saints fans all their lives, are really annoyed with the club at the moment.

I wonder if this feeling is spreading among the wider fan base?

Bar the post-lockdown games which were like watching Saints under Nigel, Poch and Koeman, I’ve been disillusioned and a bit disinterested since spring 2017. Went to the early Pellegrino games after catching up on sleep at the Claude the Bore’s final games and couldn’t believe the entertainment value got even worse. Kat misled the fans about Gao who is a smear on the history having not been able to pass FAPP properly. Hoped we had turned the corner but back with the exception of Ings, JWP and Berty to gutless and low energy displays. 

Les’s impact was worse than Lowe or Redknapp but the club can’t keep on hiding behind the errors of a pensioner for not taking positive action 2-3 years on. Reed didn’t bring LD Sports in. They let him waste all of that money. They have a good manager now - back him or sell up now. No more excuses. You promised investment - deliver or go. 

After having been a STH for many years, home and away at one point, I’ve not been to a game since Hudds at home under that petrified thing Reed hired. I can’t say I’m tempted even when we can return to go back as I want see genuine hard work and some attempt at enterprising football. With Saints, your expectation of results is more modest.

2 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

We should just ask Ronald for a loan - must have a winger or midfielder who could do with a season out on loan.

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Ronnie Ekelund incoming!

Well, Ronald has just said this midfielder needs to find himself a loan. Get on the phone Ralph...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/barcelona-midfielder-riqui-puig-available-for-loan-after-ronald-koeman-talks-a4551301.html

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

That would be a superb signing.

Would it? I’ve really not seen enough to judge but he wasn’t getting in Bournemouth’s team at the back end of last season. Would he really improve us or has he just dined out on a handful of superb free kicks?

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Would it? I’ve really not seen enough to judge but he wasn’t getting in Bournemouth’s team at the back end of last season. Would he really improve us or has he just dined out on a handful of superb free kicks?

I think his alleged £20m price tag is ridiculous but he is a slightly different player to what we have, a little more technical on the ball than our #10s but not as physically able. Left footed also.

Not sure he fits us off the ball, but depending on the deal he wouldn't be an awful option IMO.

Fair play to Ings if he stays here.....

double wages and play alongside Bale or stay at Saints and hope we can scrape a couple of toffee together to get some unknown on loan.... 

It's a no-brainer I'd be gone....

This club is so backwards sometimes yes let's get rid of four midfielders 

Reed, hoj, lemon and potentially Bovril leave it until last minute to bring some unknown in.....

Call me a negative Nancy I think we could go down this season.... 

5 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Fair play to Ings if he stays here.....

double wages and play alongside Bale or stay at Saints and hope we can scrape a couple of toffee together to get some unknown on loan.... 

It's a no-brainer I'd be gone....

This club is so backwards sometimes yes let's get rid of four midfielders 

Reed, hoj, lemon and potentially Bovril leave it until last minute to bring some unknown in.....

Call me a negative Nancy I think we could go down this season.... 

Have to agree, we did however see glimpses after lockdown, but if we don't get a cm in and a starter at that I think that's us done 

3 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Well, Ronald has just said this midfielder needs to find himself a loan. Get on the phone Ralph...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/barcelona-midfielder-riqui-puig-available-for-loan-after-ronald-koeman-talks-a4551301.html

Ridiculous call from Koeman. Puig is a brilliant talent, assumed he'd have a big role this season. Maybe he knows he's only got 1 season at the club and wants older players but seems short sighted. 

Imagine he'd get a far better loan move than us but he'd be perfect for one of our no 10 roles. Would take Alena too.

But I imagine we'll loan someone we've never heard of who plays about 2 games.

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Hojbjerg is not the difference between 11th and relegation. We’ve strengthened in defence and missed out on our top midfield target because he went to the Italian Champions.

Finally, some sense after all the bed-wetting that has been going on here in the last few days. Meanwhile, too, Man Utd just lost at home 3-1 to a Palace side we were unlucky to lose 1-0 against away from home. If we are destined for a relegation scrap, I wonder what that means for United!??!!!

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Hojbjerg is not the difference between 11th and relegation. We’ve strengthened in defence and missed out on our top midfield target because he went to the Italian Champions.

Agree with you about Hojberg not being the major loss to cause a slump.

As for improving the defence, have we though? I think that remains to be seen, we hope Salisu provides an immediate improvement but the bloke is 21 with only a season's experience in Spain as far as I'm aware.

MF - fair point we missed out on McKennie IF we were actually after him, there are conflicting reports on that. But if he was our number one choice and we were prepared to shell out £22m (?) you'd expect us to have another target on the list, especially if we've got the suggested £22m to spend.

6 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Finally, some sense after all the bed-wetting that has been going on here in the last few days. Meanwhile, too, Man Utd just lost at home 3-1 to a Palace side we were unlucky to lose 1-0 against away from home. If we are destined for a relegation scrap, I wonder what that means for United!??!!!

We weren't unlucky to lose to them. We had two decent chances to score, they had about five.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Agree with you about Hojberg not being the major loss to cause a slump.

As for improving the defence, have we though? I think that remains to be seen, we hope Salisu provides an immediate improvement but the bloke is 21 with only a season's experience in Spain as far as I'm aware.

MF - fair point we missed out on McKennie IF we were actually after him, there are conflicting reports on that. But if he was our number one choice and we were prepared to shell out £22m (?) you'd expect us to have another target on the list, especially if we've got the suggested £22m to spend.

I know he’s young but if Salisu isn’t an improvement on Bednarek or JS, I really do worry for our scouting department. 

At the very least we know who we’re playing at fullback every week. This time last season we were pissing around with Danso at RB, Cédric at LB, Yoshida in goal and f*ck knows what else.

5 minutes ago, Delmary said:

Meaning, no investment until we’re sold?

I’m not sure it makes much difference.

We would probably be doing the same thing if we weren't being sold OR if Chinese financing overseas wasn’t being frozen.

Poor recruitment has caught up with us.

Semmens makes a big deal of the freedom he and his board have been given by Gao to run the day to day affairs of the club independantly but how true is this in reality?

True, Gao intends to put nothing in financially but what happens when the P/L account shows a profit which Semmens might claim can be spent on new players? Does he really have that degree of autonomy? Maybe this is where Gao suddenly perks up and takes an interest, money is money after all and presumably that's why he bought the club. Semmens might suddenly be faced with the reality of where his autonomy begins and ends. Presumably if the profit is not "wasted" on new players it will quickly find a new home.

One wonders only because of the foot dragging that seemingly goes on at SFC in the transfer market, lots of rumours, lots of plausible links but little action other than the usual BS about keeping these things tsecret until everything is done and dusted.

Semmens makes a big deal of the freedom he and his board have been given by Gao to run the day to day affairs of the club independantly but how true is this in reality?

True, Gao intends to put nothing in financially but what happens when the P/L account shows a profit which Semmens might claim can be spent on new players? Does he really have that degree of autonomy? Maybe this is where Gao suddenly perks up and takes an interest, money is money after all and presumably that's why he bought the club. Semmens might suddenly be faced with the reality of where his autonomy begins and ends. Presumably if the profit is not "wasted" on new players it will quickly find a new home.

One wonders only because of the foot dragging that seemingly goes on at SFC in the transfer market, lots of rumours, lots of plausible links but little action other than the usual BS about keeping these things ecret until everything is done and dusted.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
Apology for double post. Not my fault guv!
11 hours ago, LeG said:

This is all just a result of us being sold. 

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

why would a new owner stop the team from improving 

The potential new owner doesn't own the club. Spending often stops during the process of a change of ownership.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The potential new owner doesn't own the club. Spending often stops during the process of a change of ownership.

Or the likelihood we don’t have any to spend if you like back at Newcastle they did agree to continue recruitment during negotiations so not always case.

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Or the likelihood we don’t have any to spend if you like back at Newcastle they did agree to continue recruitment during negotiations so not always case.

Newcastle made no major signing this summer before the takeover collapsed at the end of July. Hendrick, Fraser, Wilson and Lewis all joined long after the collapse of the takeover.