Jump to content

Summer 2020 transfer business


Recommended Posts

So, what do we need then..?

New starting top level CM, without question.

Another CB, let Jan go as it seems as if his head has been turned. He's attitude has looked shit this season.

New GK if we want to play a highline with a sweeper keeper.

New attacking winger to replace Boufal and give us more options than Tella.

What will we do? Probably a CM on loan on the final day. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So, what do we need then..?

New starting top level CM, without question.

Another CB, let Jan go as it seems as if his head has been turned. He's attitude has looked shit this season.

New GK if we want to play a highline with a sweeper keeper.

New attacking winger to replace Boufal and give us more options than Tella.

What will we do? Probably a CM on loan on the final day. 

All purchased with a couple of quid and some acorns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Delmary said:

The club should have not sold a key squad CM without having a replacement signed and sealed. A total disgrace from Gao downwards. I hope Gao f@cks off soon.

The prob we had is that the PEH money was used to sign Salisu and KWP,  two positions which were urgent as well.

We then have to/had to wait until we made further sales to open up the possibility of replacing PEH. 

I've seen some fans saying on another forum that we got '18m' for Hoj, so let's spend that on another CM. We can't, it was spent. We just have to see what's out there and string together a few bits of lose change from the Reed deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We deserve relegation m. Complete lack of ambition and interest by the owner, terrible recruitment (Down to previous tenure) and a wafer thin squad has all lead to this. 
 

it’s clear, unless something happens regarding a take over very very soon, we will be stuck with what we’ve got. 
 

getting it out there early, I think this will be the season we drop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SKD said:

We deserve relegation m. Complete lack of ambition and interest by the owner, terrible recruitment (Down to previous tenure) and a wafer thin squad has all lead to this. 
 

it’s clear, unless something happens regarding a take over very very soon, we will be stuck with what we’ve got. 
 

getting it out there early, I think this will be the season we drop. 

2 games

2 games

🙄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

2 games

2 games

🙄

What exactly in his post do you specifically take issue with based on what has been on show so far this season ? Yes, plenty of time to turn it around, especially with a couple of improvements in the squad although not sure where they'll be coming from or how we afford them but that's another issue.

It's actually three games if you include playing a weakened Brentford side, there wasn't much to write home about in that match either even if it wasn't a league fixture.

Could you give some positives from our performances this season (as opposed to an emoji)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Badger said:

What exactly in his post do you specifically take issue with based on what has been on show so far this season ?

He said...

"We deserve relegation"

Based on 2 league games. 

1) The Palace game wasn't terrible, we just couldn't finish. It wasn't a bad performance and it wasn't a good performance. Palace made only 150 passes as the home team!

2) The entire Brentford game was terrible

3) The 2nd half of the Spurs game was terrible due to the defensive line being far too high

So 2020/21 season has seen 45 terrible minutes of Premier League football.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We need,

Starting CM,

Depth in the wide positions/starter, Redmond, Djenepo and Armstrong are ok, but we have nothing in those positions off the bench, Tella isn’t there yet

New keeper if we’re going to play this system, Forster or Gunn aren’t the answer either. 

Another CB with pace to partner Salisu

Highly likely we’ll get one CM who won’t end up being first choice...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He said...

"We deserve relegation"

Based on 2 league games. 

1) The Palace game wasn't terrible, we just couldn't finish. It wasn't a bad performance and it wasn't a good performance. Palace made only 150 passes as the home team!

2) The entire Brentford game was terrible

3) The 2nd half of the Spurs game was terrible due to the defensive line being far too high

So 2020/21 season has seen 45 terrible minutes of Premier League football.

We drew two saves from the Palace Gk, we didn't pepper the goal and come away unlucky. It was a average - at best - performance which we lost after Romeu and Redmond between them lost possesion ... 

We have been poor this season.

Going back to his comment re deserving relegation, this comment as I read it  was more about the management of the club from the top and the recruitment etc than just highlighting the performances [We deserve relegation m. Complete lack of ambition and interest by the owner, terrible recruitment (Down to previous tenure) and a wafer thin squad has all lead to this.]. Two games or not it's difficult to argue that we've be well run over the last three or four seasons, especially where appointments and recruitment is concerned. 

Await your comments to give some positives from our performances this season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels like the next 2 weeks will be very indicative of not just our season, but maybe also Ralph's tenure.

Will the club back him? Worth remembering he resigned fairly suddenly from Leipzig when it stopped going his way.

We need as a minimum a starting quality partner for JWP and a good #10 option.

Interesting that the Butland/Gunn swap thing has come up again. Can't see it unless we also have a move lined up for Forster. Plus, isnt Butland also poor with his feet?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Feels like the next 2 weeks will be very indicative of not just our season, but maybe also Ralph's tenure.

Will the club back him? Worth remembering he resigned fairly suddenly from Leipzig when it stopped going his way.

We need as a minimum a starting quality partner for JWP and a good #10 option.

Interesting that the Butland/Gunn swap thing has come up again. Can't see it unless we also have a move lined up for Forster. Plus, isnt Butland also poor with his feet?

I'm not sure we will back him right now. Disinterested owner who has us in balance the books mode while seemingly looking for a buyer. We might get a midfielder in, but I think it will be a loan/cheap option.

Ralph does seem to be showing frustration with lack of transfer activity over the last few days in interviews.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Feels like the next 2 weeks will be very indicative of not just our season, but maybe also Ralph's tenure.

Will the club back him? Worth remembering he resigned fairly suddenly from Leipzig when it stopped going his way.

We need as a minimum a starting quality partner for JWP and a good #10 option.

Interesting that the Butland/Gunn swap thing has come up again. Can't see it unless we also have a move lined up for Forster. Plus, isnt Butland also poor with his feet?

Ironically, I think Gunn is best with ball at feet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I'm not sure we will back him right now. Disinterested owner who has us in balance the books mode while seemingly looking for a buyer. We might get a midfielder in, but I think it will be a loan/cheap option.

Ralph does seem to be showing frustration with lack of transfer activity over the last few days in interviews.

He must have known we were short of cash? He wanted a smaller squad too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Feels like the next 2 weeks will be very indicative of not just our season, but maybe also Ralph's tenure.

Will the club back him? Worth remembering he resigned fairly suddenly from Leipzig when it stopped going his way.

We need as a minimum a starting quality partner for JWP and a good #10 option.

Interesting that the Butland/Gunn swap thing has come up again. Can't see it unless we also have a move lined up for Forster. Plus, isnt Butland also poor with his feet?

It is not a case of should we back Ralph, it is obvious the club would do it but we do not have the finances to do this.

This is what happens when you have to sell before you buy.

We are the only club in the PL to do this.

But what I cannot understand Is the decision to let midfield players go (Reed Lemina) before we can a CM in. This is as suicidal as our high line defending today.

Likewise I hope we don’t sell Boufal if we have no replacement lined up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He said...

"We deserve relegation"

Based on 2 league games. 

1) The Palace game wasn't terrible, we just couldn't finish. It wasn't a bad performance and it wasn't a good performance. Palace made only 150 passes as the home team!

2) The entire Brentford game was terrible

3) The 2nd half of the Spurs game was terrible due to the defensive line being far too high

So 2020/21 season has seen 45 terrible minutes of Premier League football.

Glass half full assessment if I've ever seen one. Does the club pay you to post on here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

We need,

Starting CM,

Depth in the wide positions/starter, Redmond, Djenepo and Armstrong are ok, but we have nothing in those positions off the bench, Tella isn’t there yet

New keeper if we’re going to play this system, Forster or Gunn aren’t the answer either. 

Another CB with pace to partner Salisu

Highly likely we’ll get one CM who won’t end up being first choice...

Salisu.....We have no idea what he is like. Could be another duffer like  Danso or Hoedt

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if anyone has read the puff-piece in The Athletic this week.

Presented as a good news story on how the recruitment problems are now over,  and we won't be making those mistakes again (ie Carillo) but really reading it through the piece is like a UK Gold repeat of a Les Reed interview.

Unique black box, planning years ahead for every eventuality (ie Ings replacement), 4 or 5 candidates for every position,we analyse their personality as well as their football skills.

On and on and on. The same old Southampton Way "we're so special and different" delusion.

Meanwhile, Kevin Danso. Meanwhile, what has Djenepo delivered yet? Salisu, we'll see. On paper could be Hoedt, could be Van Dijk.

Meanwhile, we have 5 players for every possible eventuality but today we have a bench of kids and no central midfielder to replace our captain who we all knew was definitely going sometime in March.

The same problems remain - the primary objective is public relations and spin. And spending the barest of bare minimums to scrape buy.

Cut the crap lads. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a couple of decent signings of this is going to be a right struggle this season. A decent central midfielder is a must, not some kid who we could potentially flog and make some money from in a couple of years, we need someone to come in and do a job now. We've off-loaded Lemina, Reed and PEH so surely they must have someone lined up.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting rid of a combative cm like Reed looking stupider by the day.  Ash flow must be catastrophic.  Even Ralph saying wings not leaving looks like hi. Doing his dirty washing in public now; really hope he was t using that today as a plea for more funds

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Not sure if anyone has read the puff-piece in The Athletic this week.

Presented as a good news story on how the recruitment problems are now over,  and we won't be making those mistakes again (ie Carillo) but really reading it through the piece is like a UK Gold repeat of a Les Reed interview.

Unique black box, planning years ahead for every eventuality (ie Ings replacement), 4 or 5 candidates for every position,we analyse their personality as well as their football skills.

On and on and on. The same old Southampton Way "we're so special and different" delusion.

Meanwhile, Kevin Danso. Meanwhile, what has Djenepo delivered yet? Salisu, we'll see. On paper could be Hoedt, could be Van Dijk.

Meanwhile, we have 5 players for every possible eventuality but today we have a bench of kids and no central midfielder to replace our captain who we all knew was definitely going sometime in March.

The same problems remain - the primary objective is public relations and spin. And spending the barest of bare minimums to scrape buy.

Cut the crap lads. 

Yeah, it’s straight out of the Les Reed school of BS and misinformation except we can’t blame the old coot this time as we sacked him in 2018 (at least 2 years too late).

It’s not as if the fans being there or not seems to make any difference to the club or not, no-one seems bothered at the club in the slightest by another abject humiliation, this time with 11 men, or 10 adults and one boy (Smallbone).

We didn’t buy the throw the youth in and BS with Lowe so why this lot? I wouldn’t let Semmens and co run a bath, the LD Sports saga was a disaster. 
Just watched Leicester v Burnley and Dyche has it just as tough as Ralph but they never gave up tonight and made a very good side work for their win. So I’m glad Ralph is having a public go at a spineless board but at least make us hard to beat. You know the back 4 is shit, so defend deep. Dyche has consistently gotten the better of Ralph when we’ve played Burnley as well. They aren’t a long term model for us and we were miles better to watch March-July but show you can be competitive without hefty spending 

Do yourselves a favour and save the money you’d spend on the football when it returns until we have owners and management (excluding Ralph despite his poor start to the season) who believe in us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He said...

"We deserve relegation"

Based on 2 league games. 

1) The Palace game wasn't terrible, we just couldn't finish. It wasn't a bad performance and it wasn't a good performance. Palace made only 150 passes as the home team!

2) The entire Brentford game was terrible

3) The 2nd half of the Spurs game was terrible due to the defensive line being far too high

So 2020/21 season has seen 45 terrible minutes of Premier League football.

No, read it again. I said we deserve relegation based on 3/4 years of under investment and piss poor recruitment. 

My opinion of this being the season we drop is based on my assessment of the current squad and assumption that Gao will continue to not invest and the 3 games, in which we’ve under performed. 

we’re essentially living in hope that a CB with 2 years professional experience and us buying a capable CM on a shoestring budget are going to save us. 

it was ludicrous to think that players who massively overachieved for 6 months (Stephens, bednerak, Romeu, KWP and even ings and JWP to a Lesser degree) would be able to maintain that form across a whole season. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ally_uk said:

Tuen koopmeiners and a winger find the funds get it done... 

Don't expect too much, will be pleasantly surprised if we get more than a loan CM on the final day.

Edited by S-Clarke
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He said...

"We deserve relegation"

Based on 2 league games. 

1) The Palace game wasn't terrible, we just couldn't finish. It wasn't a bad performance and it wasn't a good performance. Palace made only 150 passes as the home team!

2) The entire Brentford game was terrible

3) The 2nd half of the Spurs game was terrible due to the defensive line being far too high

So 2020/21 season has seen 45 terrible minutes of Premier League football.

I thought we were terrible against Palace tbh, lethargic and slow. Palace could have had more than the 1 goal they had.

I'd say we've had about 125 mins of terrible football, only good 45 was the first half today - that's it.

The consistent theme has been the high line. We employed it against Palace and Zaha had a field day, we deployed it again today and Son had a field day.

Self-defeating style shit with players who will never be adept to playing that way.

Edited by S-Clarke
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Salisu.....We have no idea what he is like. Could be another duffer like  Danso or Hoedt

We don't know how he'll adapt but that doesn't make him like them. Danso had little reputation, Hoedt had some but there were reasons Lazio wanted rid of him. 

Salisu has been playing at a decent level and playing well. Plenty who've watched him rate him very highly. So hopefully there's more reason for optimism than with the others. 

I think we need to sign someone to play alongside him if we're serious about getting anywhere. Bednarek has declined massively and maybe doesn't want to be here. Stephens is a terrible defender. His good games are all about heroic last ditch tackles and blocks, because he can't read the game well enough and doesn't have the pace to actually cut out the threat early on. That sort of last ditch defending looks good in highlights but the law of averages just means it ends in many games where the ball ends in the net.

Fine as a back up, as he was supposed to be...but worrying he got a new contract. 

As for Vestergaard, Ralph thinks Stephens and Bednarek are better. So he should be pretty insulted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From ralph's comments over the last week or so he seems to be suggesting that he expects us to get a CM and a winger if Boufal leaves.

I really do think we are waiting for the transfer window sales to begin for clubs who have been hit harder by covid and the window is shortly closing so we get a good player cheaper.

Wouldnt surprise me if we start hearing names again later this week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just scouted around and gone through my own personnel scout list to see what happened over the weekend.

- Koopmeiners - played but AZ drew and he seemed to be average in that game

- Mangala (stuttgart) played but they lost and he also seemed to be average in that one as well.

- Laimer (RB Leipzig) a never going to happen signing but apparently the austrian machine has a knee injury.

- Mwepu (RB Salzburg) played well in an easy win at home.

- Also a shout out to Mckennie who played the full game for Juve yesterday.

Edited by Convict Colony
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finding the lack of any links quite concerning to be honest, especially when you see clubs like Fulham going for players that would certainly add what we're missing. Lookman would add a lot of quality out wide, and it's only a loan. No brainer.

But I imagine we'll have to wait until we have a fee for Boufal before we can service a loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, it's looking like a fairly strong league this year so let's hope we can make it to 40 points. Mid 30s might not be enough.

All the promoted teams are shipping goals but Leeds and WBA should pick up a few wins along the way.

Fulham will probably go down but may make more of a fist of it than Norwich did.

Who else looks set to have a bad season? West Ham are a mess but they will throw money at it if needed and probably stay up. They might get a good new manager in at some point.

Brighton and Newcastle are probably good enough to stay up.

Sheffield U could plummet down from last year.

Apart from that, it's hard to see anyone being bad enough to go down. The mid table sides like Wolves, Everton, Leicester are far too strong to go down or be close to the scrap. The top 10 or so are as safe as they've ever been. We won't do a Puel and finish 8th with 46 points this year and if we don't start picking up home wins we will really struggle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12724511/southampton-florentino-luis-transfer-hojbjerg/

Florentino Luis 21 year old DM from benfica. If we enter budding war with AC Milan and Fulham then we've no chance. 

£25-30m is the quoted figure for him from previous articles.

Absolute no chance. We won't sign anyone above the £10m mark IMO. I'll eat my words if anything comes of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, benjii said:

Unfortunately, it's looking like a fairly strong league this year so let's hope we can make it to 40 points. Mid 30s might not be enough.

I don't think this is true to be honest. Between them the promoted teams have conceded 22 goals between them in 6 combined games averaging a goals conceded of 3.66 goals per game, which is appalling. Also the only one of them who has not lost a game yet is leeds, and it was against Fulham, and it was an absolute shitshow where Leeds almost threw a three goal lead.

On top of this West Ham struggled last year, are doing dreadfully behind the scenes, and have almost certainly weakened. Burnley have been weakened, Brighton haven't meaningfully strengthened aside from signing an injury prone bench warmer and bringing back a youth player on loan for a position they are already over stacked in. Palace have improved and look good but could still easily lose Zaha which would land them in a lot of trouble. Villa have spent a lot of money but not on prem proven players and their new squad could easily struggle to gel.

I think the top of the league has strengthened considerably and making top 8 will be much harder than last season given Evertons spending spree along with most of the established big 6, but the bottom 6-7 teams have most likely gotten weaker.

Edited by TWar
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12724511/southampton-florentino-luis-transfer-hojbjerg/

Florentino Luis 21 year old DM from benfica. If we enter budding war with AC Milan and Fulham then we've no chance. 

Well, it's a link... Absolute bollocks, though. Unless the club have been keeping a "warchest" secret for months and actually we can throw around £30m on unproven youngsters willy nilly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan Sheldon on TSP suggesting will be loan deals.

Seems a pattern generally for loan with option/obligation and for Saints, given how tight the cash is, those types might work well. All assuming the options are watertight.

He suggested some of the bigger teams will have players that might be freed up for loan moves.

Whilst, as Semmens suggested, in some of the other European leagues teams may come under more financial pressures due to Covid.

Considering we have got in about £25m for Hojbjerg, Reed and some loan fees and spent basically the same on Salisu and KWP - its clear the spend what we generate is about right. Unless we can consistently find rough diamonds and make them £50m players to sell, its going to be hard to become a club that can look up rather than down most seasons when you see what over half the PL can do in terms of spending power. We are one of the longest established PL teams outside the top 6 or 7 but have pretty much the joint lowest record transfer fees, alongside Burnley.

Edited by Dusic
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Dan Sheldon on TSP suggesting will be loan deals.

Seems a pattern generally for loan with option/obligation and for Saints, given how tight the cash is, those types might work well. All assuming the options are watertight.

He suggested some of the bigger teams will have players that might be freed up for loan moves.

Whilst, as Semmens suggested, in some of the other European leagues teams may come under more financial pressures due to Covid.

Considering we have got in about £25m for Hojbjerg, Reed and some loan fees and spent basically the same on Salisu and KWP - its clear the spend what we generate is about right. Unless we can consistently find rough diamonds and make them £50m players to sell, its going to be hard to become a club that can look up rather than down most seasons when you see what over half the PL can do in terms of spending power. We are one of the longest established PL teams outside the top 6 or 7 but have pretty much the joint lowest record transfer fees, alongside Burnley.

There is going to be an almighty scramble towards the end of this window...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2020 at 14:38, SuperSAINT said:

He must have known we were short of cash? He wanted a smaller squad too.

If that's the case he will have been the first manager in the history of football not to want options. That's the SFC PR machine working at full whack there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dusic said:

Dan Sheldon on TSP suggesting will be loan deals.

Seems a pattern generally for loan with option/obligation and for Saints, given how tight the cash is, those types might work well. All assuming the options are watertight.

He suggested some of the bigger teams will have players that might be freed up for loan moves.

Whilst, as Semmens suggested, in some of the other European leagues teams may come under more financial pressures due to Covid.

Considering we have got in about £25m for Hojbjerg, Reed and some loan fees and spent basically the same on Salisu and KWP - its clear the spend what we generate is about right. Unless we can consistently find rough diamonds and make them £50m players to sell, its going to be hard to become a club that can look up rather than down most seasons when you see what over half the PL can do in terms of spending power. We are one of the longest established PL teams outside the top 6 or 7 but have pretty much the joint lowest record transfer fees, alongside Burnley.

Makes the RLC name drop earlier in this thread a lot more plausible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TWar said:

I don't think this is true to be honest. Between them the promoted teams have conceded 22 goals between them in 6 combined games averaging a goals conceded of 3.66 goals per game, which is appalling.

Have you perchance looked at how many goals per game we've conceded so far?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

We need premier league experience

Chris Smalling ( Loan)

Giroud ( Loan)

Then get the Benfica lad in On permanent Deal

 

Followed by Messi, Umtitti, Suarez just as likely 

Edited by Give it to Ron
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

We need premier league experience

Chris Smalling ( Loan)

Giroud ( Loan)

Then get the Benfica lad in On permanent Deal

 

Either of those loans would take up any remaining money we have (Wages/loan fee), I'd have thought. We may not even be able to scrimp enough together to get a loan of that profile.

I think we're struggling to get enough finance together for any deal tbh. Sad times really, got to feel sorry for Ralph.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Have you perchance looked at how many goals per game we've conceded so far?

Yeah, 3 goals a game. They have conceded 3.66 on average. And we got smashed in one game. Put it this way, not of the promoted sides have managed to concede less that 3 in a game. I really don't think they are that good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})