manina-pub

Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Believing Trump ? you couldn't make it up !

Not sure any of the election promises we were given in December would have actually happened but this pandemic will totally change the economy , HS2 could be the first thing to go .

Believing Trump ? you couldn't make it up !

Not sure any of the election promises we were given in December would have actually happened but this pandemic will totally change the economy , HS2 could be the first thing to go .

I guarantee HS2 won't go. Many people are still working on it as "key workers".

The WHO hasnt covered itself in glory, pussyfooting around China -notably ignoring Taiwan’s early warnings in December about transmission of the coronavirus between humans. At the same time, Trump dropped the ball massively -all his gloriously incriminating statements are on record. That set the context for the US response and it has been playing catch up ever since.

The WHO hasnt covered itself in glory, pussyfooting around China -notably ignoring Taiwan’s early warnings in December about transmission of the coronavirus between humans. At the same time, Trump dropped the ball massively -all his gloriously incriminating statements are on record. That set the context for the US response and it has been playing catch up ever since.
Yep. It's not an either or situation.

In summary:

- nobody at the club will be furloughed

- will continue to pay 100% of salaries through until June 30, when the situation will be reassessed

- the board, senior coaching staff and the first-team squad have all chosen to take voluntary wage deferral for three months

In doing so, Saints become the first club to reach a pay deferral agreement with their playing squad.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/...lub-statement-coronavirus-response-april-2020

Great move Saints!

Although i hope nobody complains when we don’t spend anything in the transfer market...

In summary:

- will continue to pay 100% of salaries through until June 30, when the situation will be reassessed

- the board, senior coaching staff and the first-team squad have all chosen to take voluntary wage deferral for three months

In doing so, Saints become the first club to reach a pay deferral agreement with their playing squad.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/...lub-statement-coronavirus-response-april-2020

It's good news but would also be decent if they agreed a wage cut as well.

Well done saints. This is exactly what all other clubs should be doing

100% this.

Somewhat of a curveball from Gao. Interesting.

Southampton FC, leading from the front to put shame on “the bigger clubs”. This should make big news, but it won’t because of SFC being perceived as a smaller club.

Let’s watch the rest squirm. Proud to support my local club.

Southampton FC, leading from the front to put shame on “the bigger clubs”. This should make big news, but it won’t because of SFC being perceived as a smaller club.

Let’s watch the rest squirm. Proud to support my local club.

Don't know about that! Just went onto Twitter and lots of the big sources drawing attention to Saints being first to reach an agreement like this.

Just from a first look...

BBC:

Guardian:

Sky:

So are these wages deferred after tax has been paid? I don't like the idea of wages being reduced and there being a drop in tax revenue, seems counter productive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

In summary:

played Saints :)

over to the big boys now to follow suit

Being a bit picky - the statement says deferring 'part' of their salaries but doesn't say what percentage that is

Being a bit picky - the statement says deferring 'part' of their salaries but doesn't say what percentage that is
They also haven't really given up anything, just agreed to be paid it at a later date.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter as they're deferred - they'll be paid eventually.

As long as it's enough to keep the club going until we have an income again, ensure all the rest of the staff are paid, and means the club can avoid using the furlough scheme, it's an excellent move by the club.

Posted (edited)
They also haven't really given up anything, just agreed to be paid it at a later date.

Che Adams has posted the PlayersTogether initiative as has Romeu and others so they are doing their bit. Hopefully you are too.

Edited by Greenridge
typo

Che Adams has posted the PlayersTogether initiative as has Romeu and others so they are doing there bit. Hopefully you are too.
Bertrand and Hojbjerg too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Che Adams has posted the PlayersTogether initiative as has Romeu and others so they are doing there bit. Hopefully you are too.
Still going to work at a prison every day so yeah I am. The players together initiative is fantastic, and I guess I am being harsh with these deferrals, it means staff will be fully paid and won't be taking any funds from the government's furlough pot.

Still going to work at a prison every day so yeah I am. The players together initiative is fantastic, and I guess I am being harsh with these deferrals, it means staff will be fully paid and won't be taking any funds from the government's furlough pot.

Well I guess either the Government get 45% tax from the players wages or they pay 80% of the salaries so it's a win-win either way. Yes, I've over-simplified it.

Well I guess either the Government get 45% tax from the players wages or they pay 80% of the salaries so it's a win-win either way. Yes, I've over-simplified it.

It would only be 80% up to a ceiling of £2,500 a week.....

Yes, as I said I over-simplified it but the fact that the Gov will receive 45% taxation from the players wages far exceeds what they would pay SFC employees on the furlough scheme so as we are not taking advantage of it is a massive help to the Gov coffers. Albeit some of that tax might be delayed a few months.

I believe PAYE and NIC is due on the earlier of entitlement and payment. So as long as the players have only deferred payment (and not entitlement), Saints will still pay the government (and NHS) the tax due.

Well done the club, hoping it will make some other clubs (and indeed other companies that can afford it) sit up, take notice and most importantly take action.

The government will also pay the employer’s NI and pension contributions. It may not be generally realised that no money has been handed over yet. The employer still has to pay the wages as usual and then claim them back later. ‘Hopefully’ the government website will be live during the week after next and reimbursement should follow within two or three weeks of that.

As for the £10,000 grant to business ratepayers I have been told that ‘hopefully’ EBC will be sending that out later next week too.

I believe PAYE and NIC is due on the earlier of entitlement and payment. So as long as the players have only deferred payment (and not entitlement), Saints will still pay the government (and NHS) the tax due.

That is the case for directors and certain others, but not employees. Saints will only be paying the PAYE/NIC when the players are actually paid.

The government will also pay the employer’s NI and pension contributions. It may not be generally realised that no money has been handed over yet. The employer still has to pay the wages as usual and then claim them back later. ‘Hopefully’ the government website will be live during the week after next and reimbursement should follow within two or three weeks of that.

As for the £10,000 grant to business ratepayers I have been told that ‘hopefully’ EBC will be sending that out later next week too.

For the last week and a half I have been re-deployed from my usual day job to help process the £10k and £25k grants to business ratepayers (not for EBC but for another local authority) so rest assured these payments are going to be forthcoming as soon as is possible...

It doesn't. I have read elsewhere it is 10%.

Your understanding is wrong unfortunately. A friend I know (plus others) who works for saints were furloughed for an initial 3 weeks on Friday. To say I’m a more than a little disappointed at the clubs actions is an understatement.
The club have now put out a statement confirming what I was told. No staff have been or will be furloughed, at least not before June 30.

Sorry, wild-saint. Your information was wrong.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

If so, it's hardly the great gesture people are making it out to be.

"Boss, the world's in a mess and I ain't playing or training, so I'll have just £90k a week for the next few months, you can square me up for the other £10k a week when this ****'s blown over".

Wow, the height of generosity.

"Boss, the world's in a mess and I ain't playing or training, so I'll have just £90k a week for the next few months, you can square me up for the other £10k a week when this ****'s blown over".

exactly this, it’s not a pay cut it seems.

80% or up to £2500 per month, whichever is the higher, not £2500 per week!

Yes of course, £2,500 per month - my mistake......

I found a source, it's in the Grauniad. Follow up article related to West Ham.

The Guardian: West Ham hope their players will follow Southampton and defer wages.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/09/southampton-players-become-first-in-premier-league-to-defer-wages

If it's enough to keep everyone else on 100% whilst this ticks over without taking public money then that's good enough for me.

Sky Sports News indicated it was 50%, at lunchtime.

You must be one of their rare viewers these days

Not saying which is right and which is wrong, but would you tend to trust a long established, quality broadsheet newspaper, or Sky Sports News.

Not saying which is right and which is wrong, but would you tend to trust a long established, quality broadsheet newspaper, or Sky Sports News.

Bottom line is you don’t know but that’s seemingly not stopping you getting all bent out of shape about it.

For the last week and a half I have been re-deployed from my usual day job to help process the £10k and £25k grants to business ratepayers (not for EBC but for another local authority) so rest assured these payments are going to be forthcoming as soon as is possible...

Good to hear.