Sign in to follow this  
Turkish

Crossfit

Best group exercise club on the planet or an overrated club full of cult like freaks? Discuss

Just noticed this.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in and around the CrossFit scene over the last 7 years or so.

All I can say about it is that done right, with a good ‘coach’ and proper technique, the results are great! However, it’s built around pushing yourself to and beyond personal limits which waaaay too often leads to long lasting injuries.

My physio is an ex saints physio and advises physio practices to move close to their nearest CrossFit gym because they’ll never be short of work.

The ‘community/cult’ however is proper ghey

Just noticed this.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in and around the CrossFit scene over the last 7 years or so.

All I can say about it is that done right, with a good ‘coach’ and proper technique, the results are great! However, it’s built around pushing yourself to and beyond personal limits which waaaay too often leads to long lasting injuries.

My physio is an ex saints physio and advises physio practices to move close to their nearest CrossFit gym because they’ll never be short of work.

The ‘community/cult’ however is proper ghey

What prompted this was a girl at work who in about a year transformed from a podgy mid thirties woman into an absolute machine, she looks incredible, like an athlete. However this has come at a cost, her social media is full of endless exercise videos or pictures of her with her fellow crossfitters. Dont get me wrong, her videos are impressive, very strong and fit now, but could so without so many of them and maybe on a different subject. It does seem like a bit of cult though.

Yeah, done right it builds super fit athletes.

There’s actually nothing new about it, it’s been used by the American special forces for a long time now. It was made into a competitive sport by an ex navy seal but the culture around is proper weird.

They also burn out quite quickly, too. I also would do it again in my 40’s (as I am) because I’d probably break

On 5/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, Raging Bull said:

Yeah, done right it builds super fit athletes.

There’s actually nothing new about it, it’s been used by the American special forces for a long time now. It was made into a competitive sport by an ex navy seal but the culture around is proper weird.

They also burn out quite quickly, too. I also would do it again in my 40’s (as I am) because I’d probably break

I assume from your avatar you're a kettlebell fanatic. I've dabbled on and off for years, did a RKC course, done enter the kettlebell etc, what other good programs are there?

I love them because they’re everything you need to keep your body properly strong and there’s not much you can’t do with them. That and a good spin bike. 

Gone are the days I can effectively use the 40kg in my avatar though, my body’s shot through at the moment and injury prone. 

As for programs the 2 you mentioned are pretty good, although I’ve not actually got any qualifications myself. I sometimes see what the CrossFit guys are doing but they’re not really reinventing the wheel. 

Anything that’s good enough for the Russian special forces is good enough for me. Although they don’t half screw your hands over if you’ve not used them for a while! 

do you prefer cast iron or competition?