Sign in to follow this  
Guided Missile

The BBC

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What are you on about? 

This has nothing to do with whether the BBC make anyone look good or bad. It’s 2020, people shouldn’t have to pay a poll tax regardless of whether they watch the  BBC or not. The biggest cheerleaders for saying how valuable the bbc is, or what a bargain it is, are the ones that don’t want that tested. It’s simple, if it’s as good as you make out, if it’s such great value, everybody will pay a subscription for it. 

It acts like a commercial media conglomerate, it should be subject to the same commercial pressures as everyone else. 

‘It’s  2020’ Said without irony no doubt. 

Duckie said that the purpose of the BBC was to entertain. It is not just that. It’s purpose is to “inform, educate and entertain” which is precisely what it does. 

For those who are bleating about it being biased, I don’t recall you fretting over the hard time it gave Corbyn. I seem to remember too that it gave Blair a hard ride over the Iraqi war.

You would expect any news broadcasting service worth it salt to ask difficult questions of those in power. Those quibbling about the BBC at the moment would clearly like a BBC run like the Daily Mail. Thank God it isn’t.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Duckie said that the purpose of the BBC was to entertain. It is not just that. It’s purpose is to “inform, educate and entertain” which is precisely what it does. 

For those who are bleating about it being biased, I don’t recall you fretting over the hard time it gave Corbyn. I seem to remember too that it gave Blair a hard ride over the Iraqi war.

You would expect any news broadcasting service worth it salt to ask difficult questions of those in power. Those quibbling about the BBC at the moment would clearly like a BBC run like the Daily Mail. Thank God it isn’t.

You really don’t get it do you? 

I couldn’t care less whether it had exactly the same views as me, whether Newsnight was hosted by Nigel Farage & Rod Liddle. It’s the principle of paying  a poll tax  regardless whether you watch it or not, I object to. Its website crosses into areas that should be left to the commercial sector, it’s local radio kills commercial radio and its tv arm chase ratings. There isn’t much it does that isn’t available elsewhere. 

On 03/07/2020 at 17:29, Lord Duckhunter said:

You really don’t get it do you? 

I couldn’t care less whether it had exactly the same views as me, whether Newsnight was hosted by Nigel Farage & Rod Liddle. It’s the principle of paying  a poll tax  regardless whether you watch it or not, I object to. Its website crosses into areas that should be left to the commercial sector, it’s local radio kills commercial radio and its tv arm chase ratings. There isn’t much it does that isn’t available elsewhere. 

You'll be telling us next that "tax is theft." 

It isn’t a poll tax, it is a license fee.

We have just watched all three of the Salisbury Poisonings programmes. Wow. Quality programming that that the BBC have been producing for decades, all for less than the price of a pint a week.

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

We have just watched all three of the Salisbury Poisonings programmes. Wow. Quality programming that that the BBC have been producing for decades, all for less than the price of a pint a week.

With a false story fed to them, no doubt, by the Conservative government. 

Biased. 

On 01/07/2020 at 17:07, Earthworm Jim said:

General knowledge he should be fine, more "In the News" or "Current Affairs" is where he'd struggle. 

Only according to the MSM propaganda machine, not in fact in terms of the real current affairs. People who believe all they read and hear from the MSM are very misinformed. 

11 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. A poll tax is levied as a fixed sum on every liable individual. 

There you go again, if it’s as good as you make out, everyone will pay a subscription, so what’s your problem,.

Of course, YOU want the tv poll tax to remain, because YOU think it’s good value. I think the Spectator is great value for money. I think people should pay a poll tax to fund it, even if they only read the Guardian. Think of all the great articles they could write & all the correspondents they could send round the world. In return for the tax revenues they could have a charter making them legally be balanced & neutral. Don’t you think the print industry needs an impartial source of news and current affairs? 

On 01/07/2020 at 06:04, st.bangkok said:

Try this. Stop watching MSM. Turn off the news for a couple of weeks. Nothing they tell you is true, without bias or accurate. Since living in Thailand i never watch the news and my life thus is so much brighter as i never get to see their silly propaganda and lies. It is brainwashing. The TV has been brainwashing us all for 60+ years. Turn it off. Go outside, dare to live without being told how to think, what to say, and how to feel. 

Have you ever heard the saying 'ignorance is bliss'?

BBC World Service English and BBC World News TV had a weekly audience of 426 million in 2019.

Bit of a nightmare trying to collect a subscription from that lot.

7 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. A poll tax is levied as a fixed sum on every liable individual. 

There you go again, if it’s as good as you make out, everyone will pay a subscription, so what’s your problem,.

Of course, YOU want the tv poll tax to remain, because YOU think it’s good value. I think the Spectator is great value for money. I think people should pay a poll tax to fund it, even if they only read the Guardian. Think of all the great articles they could write & all the correspondents they could send round the world. In return for the tax revenues they could have a charter making them legally be balanced & neutral. Don’t you think the print industry needs an impartial source of news and current affairs? 

The BBC is a different animal, as you well know. It is unique and over the years it has delivered a lot of quality. I am sure plenty of people would pay for it but it probably wouldn’t get the same level of funding.

As an old git like me Duckie, I’m sure you have had your money’s worth over the years too.

35 minutes ago, StDunko said:

I enjoyed their programming tonight.

Worth all the license fee money I've ever paid. 

• Like 1