Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
whelk

Arsenal build up

Recommended Posts

Why would Ings need resting? He hasn't played for months, I'm sure he can manage 3 games in a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Hardy, you do realise we have the worst home form in the league?

Not exactly at home there are we. I have a hope that playing behind closed doors will mke every game feel like an away day and thus we will ack up more points. If we do, then we hve to do something about the home support, as clearly that is the issue with the home form. Too much pressure from impatient crowds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Why would Ings need resting? He hasn't played for months, I'm sure he can manage 3 games in a week. 

It's not about him being unfit, it's about managing his risk for other injuries. We have a game every 5 days or so - he's going to need to be rested as I'm not sure his body can take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll be fine. The Gooners are a spent force. The Shitehawks usually play as the name suggests and yet beat them,we can do the same.Our ‘home form’ has to get us a result sometime and this is the time.COYS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The temperature is likely to be mid to high 20s on Thursday p.m... that should favour us in theory, given this will be Arsenal's 3rd game in 8 days. i.e. we should be fresher/fitter.

Edited by trousers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Why would Ings need resting? He hasn't played for months

The fact he (and everyone else of course) hasn't played for months is arguably a reason for easing him (and maybe others) back in, especially those like Ings whose style of play involves busting a gut each and every game....

That said, I would still start Ings for this one, hopefully with Long alongside as he's better placed to share the burden of 'gut busting', unlike Obefemi who's more of an impact player.

Edited by trousers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beat them and we should finish above them given their remaining fixtures....be nice to get a win and then we can just enjoy the rest of the season and bed in a few of the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LeG said:

Poor.... or making mistakes in the best league in the world while only being 19 after 3 months out? How is he supposed to learn and improve...no better place than on the pitch right? You will get a little inconsistency with a player who has played a handful of professional games. Look at some of his finishing vs chelsea and westham. You should get behind our youth players, because you'll be seeing a lot more of them soon. Obafemi would have learnt so much from that game. Ings and Ralph will be guiding him.

No! He just isn't very good. He looks no better now than a few seasons ago in the U23's. He has learnt nothing, same old huff and puff routine.

...

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, suewhistle said:

I've just had a glass of wine with my Sunday dinner, so in a spirit of relaxed flippancy, and with the idea stimulated by reading the MBM report on tonights game, what sound effects should we have at St Marys for this game? Our most impressive feature is when we get the whole ground singing OWTS, so surely they must have a recording of that to hear once or twice?

I heard  that all crowd noise are being provided courtesy of EA sports from their Fifa console games. Apparently they have a huge library of actual crowd recordings from something like 150 grounds. Hopefully they made some recordings in the Koeman era when we had some good atmospheres.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could potentially be as high as 30oC at kick off on Thursday.

There will definitely be rotation between Thursday and Sunday. I think he will start with a very similar team on Thursday and then change if for Watford.

Wouldn't suprise me to see Ings and Long vs Arsenal and then Adams and Obafemi vs Watford. I think RH sees Ings and Adams as link players and Long and Oba as runners and he likes a blend of the two.

I think only McCarthy, Bertrand, Stephens, Bednarek, JWP, PEH and Redmond are likely to start both games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 10:16 AM, LeG said:

Poor.... or making mistakes in the best league in the world while only being 19 after 3 months out? How is he supposed to learn and improve...no better place than on the pitch right? You will get a little inconsistency with a player who has played a handful of professional games. Look at some of his finishing vs chelsea and westham. You should get behind our youth players, because you'll be seeing a lot more of them soon. Obafemi would have learnt so much from that game. Ings and Ralph will be guiding him.

I’m not sure he has the mental capacity to learn, like valery and a couple of the other youngsters. Although 4 months out of the nightclubs in town would probably have done him a favour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SKD said:

I’m not sure he has the mental capacity to learn, like valery and a couple of the other youngsters. Although 4 months out of the nightclubs in town would probably have done him a favour. 

Wow - you make this comment based on what exactly? Do you know the bloke personally? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Wow - you make this comment based on what exactly? Do you know the bloke personally? 

Yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 8:40 AM, skintsaint said:

He was poor, real lack of end product and decision making was awful after making some promising runs.

Replace with Long if he is ok. Arsenal there for the taking. Got to watch out for Lacazette & Aubameyang, they link well and have great movement, we were pulled apart a few times against Norwich and if we give the same chances away against Arsenal we will concede a couple.

Going for 2-2.

Lacazette & Aubameyang are key to this Arsenal side and can be lethal. So Hoj is structurally essential to the way we play them. Unchanged side. Smallbone can wait for his opportunity as the game progresses. Substitutions are interesting as Arsenal have more strength in depth. I would like to see us over 40 points before we experiment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be disappointed with anything less than a win, Arsenal are a turgid side with zero confidence and while Norwich were awful, we looked sharp, fit and hungry against them. We're a better team now than the one that should have taken all 3 points at the Emirates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, suewhistle said:

I've just had a glass of wine with my Sunday dinner, so in a spirit of relaxed flippancy, and with the idea stimulated by reading the MBM report on tonights game, what sound effects should we have at St Marys for this game? Our most impressive feature is when we get the whole ground singing OWTS, so surely they must have a recording of that to hear once or twice?

During the Norwich match I heard OWTSGMI being sung as part of the crowd background noise. Very refreshing it was, too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arsenal fans buzzing to be playing us Thursday 😆 Their Poll is saying 70% saints win .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, It's There said:

Note that Arsenal escape red card  at end of their match- see BBC website...booo

That’s a remarkable decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

That’s a remarkable decision. 

Guendzouzi had Maupay by the throat. Was probably just checking for covid-19, how considerate! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there going to be any (national) radio commentary?  Looks like Radio 5 are covering the other game and I can't see anything listed on the Talksport site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be interesting to see the stadium wrap

Some teams have done it very well, others not so.

Newcastle's the worst I've seen I reckon, just so bland. Norwich's was very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, It's There said:

Note that Arsenal escape red card  at end of their match- see BBC website...booo

So if the referee has blown the whistle for half or full time you can manhandle and rough up oppo players at will, committing offences that would see you getting first go with the hot water in the showers in the game time minutes between the kick off whistle and the signalled end of the half.

The time that elapsed between Maupays first half tangling with Leno and Guendouzi taking issue with Maupay at the end of the game was a pre meditated action. it does beggar belief, the video ref reviewed it too, and the FA naughty boys committee say its ok. Bizarre!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

It'll be interesting to see the stadium wrap

Some teams have done it very well, others not so.

Newcastle's the worst I've seen I reckon, just so bland. Norwich's was very good.

We may see the the big Markus Liebherr flag get an airing, last time out must have been Wembley in the cup final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, It's There said:

Note that Arsenal escape red card  at end of their match- see BBC website...booo

Pretty disgraceful decision to show kids that something like that goes unpunished. Still JWP will hopefully be in full wind up merchant mode a la Zahagate so maybe can get him sent off early. 😈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would be good if we could get a win AFTV  Would be in full meltdown mode lmao..   go Saints! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

So if the referee has blown the whistle for half or full time you can manhandle and rough up oppo players at will, committing offences that would see you getting first go with the hot water in the showers in the game time minutes between the kick off whistle and the signalled end of the half.

The time that elapsed between Maupays first half tangling with Leno and Guendouzi taking issue with Maupay at the end of the game was a pre meditated action. it does beggar belief, the video ref reviewed it too, and the FA naughty boys committee say its ok. Bizarre!

Yeah, we already knew that from JWP and Zaha though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Guy said:

Is there going to be any (national) radio commentary?  Looks like Radio 5 are covering the other game and I can't see anything listed on the Talksport site.

Answering my own question: it looks like it will be on Radio 5 Extra (I'm sure it wasn't listed when I first checked).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Guy said:

Answering my own question: it looks like it will be on Radio 5 Extra (I'm sure it wasn't listed when I first checked).

You do realise that traditionally to answer your own questions on SaintsWeb you have to manipulate the system to have multiple logins and develop severe schizophrenia (jeez I typed that with out spell check auto correct.......gosh!......thats worrying!) so you can have an argument with yourself ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 1:02 AM, John Boy Saint said:

I’m guessing Sideshow Bob will be back in contention as a second yellow is only a one game ban so that’s gone, and Arse are on the bones of their backsides at the back. Ampadu could be in a spot of bother though.

Just got to beat them 8-0 and we’ll be above them 🤪

 

On 6/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, John Boy Saint said:

Ooops drinking - talking golf and posting - got my wild haired players mixed up - Guendouzi should by rights be missing on Thursday 

Apologies one and all.

8-0 win still stands 

(where does golf come into it - trying to re book a trip to The Vale in South Wales when we were there in October Welsh team were staying there Ampadu was skipping down the car park like a little kid, quite funny to watch.............Bale can carry on up his backside) 

8-0 would take us above Arsenal... but so would 7-0 (on goals scored)! 😋

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, igsey said:

No Long in the training pics from yesterday.

Long is available only missing Djenepo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Long is fit, always does well against them. KWP in for Valery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a brief look at the training pics for clues, is it just me or does Boufal look to have a bit of excess stomach on him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Having a brief look at the training pics for clues, is it just me or does Boufal look to have a bit of excess stomach on him?

Yep, he looked big against Norwich - I think it was a mix of muscle gain and fat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martinelli is out for them- an Arsenal mate of mine said he’ll be somewhat of a miss and has been baffled as to why Arteta hasn’t played him more, meant to be a spark for them

so now Arteta hasn’t got any chance of playing him. 
 

i just don’t see Arsenal losing 3 in a row no matter how much we look favourites- its the Saints way to create expectations and build hope only to come crashing down on the final whistle! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

 

8-0 would take us above Arsenal... but so would 7-0 (on goals scored)! 😋

Was going to post the same!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jamesfp1 said:

Hopefully Long is fit, always does well against them. KWP in for Valery.

Martinelli is out for them. And theyre working on new deals for Luiz and Cedric. Unbelievable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LeG said:

Martinelli is out for them. And theyre working on new deals for Luiz and Cedric. Unbelievable. 

4 year deal for Cedric so long ball to far post it is then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

4 year deal for Cedric so long ball to far post it is then

He's still under contract to us so presumably can't play ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simo said:

He's still under contract to us so presumably can't play ?

Not sure on that but he's still recovering from a broken nose so won't be playing either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, LeG said:

Martinelli is out for them. And theyre working on new deals for Luiz and Cedric. Unbelievable. 

He (Martinelli) was the only reason they scrambled that last minute draw against us earlier in the season. The rest of them had given up. He bust a gut to get a cross in.

Edited by OttawaSaint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking to a Arsenal ST holder friend this morning - he reckons guaranteed three points for us tomorrow.

He also asked what Soares is like as he's yet to see him play for them,  I suggested his best position is centre half 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2020 at 7:58 AM, st.bangkok said:

Not exactly at home there are we. I have a hope that playing behind closed doors will mke every game feel like an away day and thus we will ack up more points. If we do, then we hve to do something about the home support, as clearly that is the issue with the home form. Too much pressure from impatient crowds. 

You can only cheer what is put in front of you. If the football is poor, the supporters are hardly going to be buzzing!

i believe there is a far more fundamental reason we are awful at home and decent away - sadly it is because, other than Bertrand, our defence is awful. Whoever plays at cb x 2 and rb are not really good enough. Too many mistakes, positional play is awful, can’t read the game and where the ball is going etc etc.
But they are the same players away from home! Yes, yes they are. Far better shielded by a deeper midfield, and we play on the break, relying on a quick ball forward and trying to get in behind the opposition.

At home we play out from the back, trying to pass our way forwards. We try and do the attacking. We lose possession, and with players committed forward, our very soft underbelly defence is fully exposed. Often with comedy defending resulting in easy goals for away teams. We can’t cope with away teams who play at St Mary’s like we do away. 
 

Every visiting team can see our back 4 is vulnerable, and patiently wait to exploit it. They know a chance will come, they know a mistake is always in the offing, and almost always we oblige.

Anybody who thinks our defence is any good is in my opinion wrong. It’s the root cause of our terrible home form. It’s shaky, vulnerable, badly organised and a disaster always in the making when we lose the ball in the opponents half, and the opposition break at pace on us. Since vvd left we have not had a good quality cb. until we either:-

a) play on the break at home and invite teams onto us, and exploit gaps at the back, as we do away or

b) get 2 good quality cb’s who can read the game and get in position quickly when we lose possession.

it is not the fans who makes us play badly!

 

 

 

Edited by vectraman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Their fans are having a meltdown at the moment!

Giving Luiz a 1 year contract is nothing short of insanity. Giving Cedric a 4 year contract is also crazy, it shows they have no real long-term view on anything? Cedric on maybe 2 year max was acceptable, but 4 years...? He's thanking his lucky stars I'm sure!

They are really regressing. Once they lose Ozil and Aubameyang, they've got nothing.

Edited by S-Clarke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vectraman said:

You can only cheer what is put in front of you. If the football is poor, the supporters are hardly going to be buzzing!

i believe there is a far more fundamental reason we are awful at home and decent away - sadly it is because, other than Bertrand, our defence is awful. Whoever plays at cb x 2 and rb are not really good enough. Too many mistakes, positional play is awful, can’t read the game and where the ball is going etc etc.
But they are the same players away from home! Yes, yes they are. Far better shielded by a deeper midfield, and we play on the break, relying on a quick ball forward and trying to get in behind the opposition.

At home we play out from the back, trying to pass our way forwards. We try and do the attacking. We lose possession, and with players committed forward, our very soft underbelly defence is fully exposed. Often with comedy defending resulting in easy goals for away teams. We can’t cope with away teams who play at St Mary’s like we do away. 
 

Every visiting team can see our back 4 is vulnerable, and patiently wait to exploit it. They know a chance will come, they know a mistake is always in the offing, and almost always we oblige.

Anybody who thinks our defence is any good is in my opinion wrong. It’s the root cause of our terrible home form. It’s shaky, vulnerable, badly organised and a disaster always in the making when we lose the ball in the opponents half, and the opposition break at pace on us. Since vvd left we have not had a good quality cb. until we either:-

a) play on the break at home and invite teams onto us, and exploit gaps at the back, as we do away or

b) get 2 good quality cb’s who can read the game and get in position quickly when we lose possession.

it is not the fans who makes us play badly!

 

 

 

The answer is therefore clear given our resources and how it will never simply be a case of buying players of certain class.

Play to our strengths.... And without a home crowd on our player's backs we may be more likely to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How St Mary's looked today...

 

Couldn't see the original but looked like 2 or 3 similar grey versions of the Markus Liebherr banner on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at how slow and unfit a lot of the teams look at the moment, it’s got to be a massive advantage that this is Arsenal’s 3rd game back and only our 2nd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})