Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Duckhunter

Super Saturday

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So who is going to the ale house tomorrow? I’ve got my table booked, who else will be venturing out?

After months of lockdown our pubs are finally reopening . No music, no live bands and no standing at the bar. Will it be the same, when you can’t really socialise, or will it be a washout. The great British pub is one of mans  finest achievements, but I’m worried this sterile cafe type arrangement will see the slow death of this great institution. 
 

I’d be interested in people’s thoughts pre and then post visit. Not whether they should open, there’s a coronavirus thread for that. But what was the atmosphere like, would you go again, was it better being table service only (my snap dragon reckons it will be). Will this finally kill the local boozer. 
 


 

 

 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might wander past.  If it looks like an oppressive corona-focused cell with tape and signs everywhere I probably won't bother.  I certainly won't stand in a queue to get in.  

I do miss the beer though.  I have been treating myself to Brewdog ales at home in the meantime.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Manuel said:

 

I do miss the beer though.  I have been treating myself to Brewdog ales at home in the meantime.  

Snap.

I started off with some micro casts  from Wandsworth, Horizon, then 6X, good value about £3 a pint. But couldn’t keep them cellar temperature. The nearest was the downstairs loo but the snap dragon was kicking off, so I tried brewdog. Really got into them, kids even got me loads of different variety for Father’s Day. I hadn’t previously liked them too much, but have found them by far and away the best tasting bottle or can. 
 

Really looking forward to some Tanglefoot at weekend. Landlord has messaged me saying it’ll be another 4 weeks before he’s selling it, but the smiley face afterwards indicates a wind up (at least I hope so anyway). 
 

Not sure about this table lark. I stand in my corner of the bar, with the landlord & a couple of others. Having to sit down with the snap dragons gonna be a nightmare. Especially with no live music drowning her out....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Snap.

I started off with some micro casts  from Wandsworth, Horizon, then 6X, good value about £3 a pint. But couldn’t keep them cellar temperature. The nearest was the downstairs loo but the snap dragon was kicking off, so I tried brewdog. Really got into them, kids even got me loads of different variety for Father’s Day. I hadn’t previously liked them too much, but have found them by far and away the best tasting bottle or can. 
 

Really looking forward to some Tanglefoot at weekend. Landlord has messaged me saying it’ll be another 4 weeks before he’s selling it, but the smiley face afterwards indicates a wind up (at least I hope so anyway). 
 

Not sure about this table lark. I stand in my corner of the bar, with the landlord & a couple of others. Having to sit down with the snap dragons gonna be a nightmare. Especially with no live music drowning her out....

The absence of loud music is in order to remove the need for shouting.

 

Of course if you and Mrs Snapdragon can avoid talking to each other and just sit smiling sweetly and looking all doe-eyed then that wouldn’t be a problem anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve read the updates from all the local boozers around my way, and it looks like hell on earth to be honest. Giving it a swerve this weekend as can’t be bothered to go through all the hoops. Will just continue to have a few at home until it’s more like an actual pub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

 I stand in my corner of the bar, with the landlord & a couple of others. Having to sit down with the snap dragons gonna be a nightmare. Especially with no live music drowning her out....

Do me a favour. Can you tell us the name of this establishment? I would hate to walk in by mistake and encounter you and the other gammon pontificating about the state of the world. :lol:

Edited by Tamesaint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Do me a favour. Can you tell us the name of this establishment? I would hate to walk in by mistake and encounter you and the other gammon pontificating about the state of the world. :lol:

You'll be fine, he has stated many times before he lives in Poole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You'll be fine, he has stated many times before he lives in Poole.

I know. I was planning on a trip to the south coast … before nipping over to Weston Super Mud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I know. I was planning on a trip to the south coast … before nipping over to Weston Super Mud.

You'll be very welcome in Weston, we don't stop anyone from coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You'll be very welcome in Weston, we don't stop anyone from coming in.

I know Weston well - the Dolphin in Uphill has good beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from afternoon session. Great to see mates and TBH nothing that wouldn’t t be same as last year apart from one way system for the pisser.
plenty of handshakes and hugs too and think most if us will carry on as normal.

7pints later can I stay awake for MOTD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling rough this morning. 
 

Better than expected atmosphere in the pub, sat on a large table with 2 other couples & drinks were brought over. Once I broke the seal the queues for the toilets was annoying, but other than that was ok. Snap dragon not keen on new set up as she couldn’t wander round gossiping with other tables. Better than nothing I suppose, but the lack of live music was the killer for me. Weather didn’t help as nobody could sit out front. 
 

My nipper went round a few boozers with his mates and they had no problem getting in any and he said there was pretty much zero checking on whether people were in same household. 
 

A few were closed, and it appears the ones closed were mainly the managed houses the tenancy and free houses were the ones opening. Heard both Wetherspoons were quiet, so perhaps the piss artists have seen how cheap supermarket booze is. 
 

Anyone else go out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We thought we would show our faces in support as the local has new landlords since lockdown and it is the first time they have run a pub. It was ok at first but the busier it got and the more people had to drink the less people were “alert”. There was only supposed to be one person in the loo at a time but that didn’t happen.

No table service so we had to order drinks at the bar, but people staggered their ordering so that worked ok.

We stayed for a couple of pints but left when it became too crowded.

I think we will wait until the weather improves and we can sit in the garden before we go back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly a strange world where going to the pub is now a talked about subject with its own thread!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't understand the obsession with drinking alcohol, especially the idea that a 'social' event isn't complete without it.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I don't understand the obsession with drinking alcohol, especially the idea that a 'social' event isn't complete without it.

Weirdo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be compulsory if anything.  For everyone, even the grannies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Weirdo. 

At least I didn't feel the need to post that I was feeling rough on Sunday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})