Jump to content
Nick75Sfc

Players you would sign from relegated teams....

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, trousers said:

Howdy Jim... Given your ITK-esque posts on the Hojbjerg thread, would I be wasting my time if I read too much between the lines on this post, especially the carefully crafted 3 dots? ;)

No, I just think he's decent. Sorry I didn't reply on the other thread, only just got my 3 posts per day back...

Edit: turns out I still can't post on there. Source is a worm friend, who works for a famous worm. 

Edited by Earthworm Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

No, I just think he's decent. Sorry I didn't reply on the other thread, only just got my 3 posts per day back...

Edit: turns out I still can't post on there. Source is a worm friend, who works for a famous worm. 

The Laidly Worm of Spindleston Heugh, per chance?

 

Screenshot_20200722-201236.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, trousers said:

The Laidly Worm of Spindleston Heugh, per chance?

 

Screenshot_20200722-201236.png

Thats like the William the Conquerer of worms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2020 at 22:44, verlaine1979 said:

We don't have the money for that. Our business model is to shop abroad and then sell on to bigger clubs.

 

If we've screwed up recently it's been in favoring quality over quantity. Picking up players from Juventus, Bayern and elsewhere in the German league has meant paying more and not spreading our bets.

We need to scout more widely and be more active looking for multiple young prospects at around the £5m mark, in addition to trying to recruit first-teamers. It's like venture capital - one Van Dijk pays for all the Juanmis and much more.

I doubt we will make many signings for 5 million. 10-15 is our range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like the look of Douglas Luiz at Villa. Tenacious, good at breaking up play, quickly closes down the opposition. 

Only 22, was bought for £15m last summer so I imagine his stock has increased some what. This could price us out of any deal, but would certainly be an upgrade on an ageing Romeu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Really like the look of Douglas Luiz at Villa. Tenacious, good at breaking up play, quickly closes down the opposition. 

Only 22, was bought for £15m last summer so I imagine his stock has increased some what. This could price us out of any deal, but would certainly be an upgrade on an ageing Romeu.

Romeu is only 28 years old, he is not old. He also isn't the one we need to replace as he is essentially a backup player to Hojbjerg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/07/2020 at 17:44, Matthew Le God said:

 

He is 32 years old... and shit. I'd rather we didn't! 😃

Sounds like my football career review 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2020 at 21:34, screechio said:

I've always fancied Lewis Cook at Bompey. However I think his spell under Howe has seen him go backwards on his potential. 

good shout. Very good player at Leeds and made the step up with ease at Bournemouth (didn't he make an England squad or two?), but not sure he has been quite the same player since coming back fro the cruciate ligament injury last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Romeu is only 28 years old, he is not old. He also isn't the one we need to replace as he is essentially a backup player to Hojbjerg.

Is Romeu definitely signing a new contract, as he is on his last 12 months ?   If he doesn't sign (maybe he might want to return to Spain or feels that he is always the backup ), then we would have the difficult decision on whether to sell him now or allow him to leave for nothing.  Before Hojbjerg made it clear that he was leaving, Romeu was linked to a return to Spain in January.  We may yet have to get a replacement for him - although I suspect that he knows with the Hojbjerg situation he is in a very strong position to negotiate a significantly improved contract.   It still does add a potential complication to our midfield planning. 

As stated elsewhere, both Bertrand and Boufal are in their last 12 months too - they could both decide to wait a year and get a juicy signing on fee. Surprised that there haven't been any whispers about Boufal being linked with a move. I hope he isn't planning to sit it out we could do with the cash now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Really like the look of Douglas Luiz at Villa. Tenacious, good at breaking up play, quickly closes down the opposition. 

Only 22, was bought for £15m last summer so I imagine his stock has increased some what. This could price us out of any deal, but would certainly be an upgrade on an ageing Romeu.

I believe Man City can buy him back for £25/30m - first refusal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chez said:

good shout. Very good player at Leeds and made the step up with ease at Bournemouth (didn't he make an England squad or two?), but not sure he has been quite the same player since coming back fro the cruciate ligament injury last season.

I wonder how a cruciate would affect a central midfielder. It could be detrimental to positions that require high explosive actions (sprinting etc). 

Central midfield tends to require more of an engine though. 

That being said my expertise finishes at a Sunday league standard of football! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Romeu is only 28 years old, he is not old. He also isn't the one we need to replace as he is essentially a backup player to Hojbjerg.

Yes, but he is past his prime. Ings has just turned 28 and hitting his prime, it's different for every player. 

My point was a long term replacement for Romeu in that they play the same role and he will likely leave after seeing his contract out. Personally I think we have a ready made hojberg replacement in Reed so he doesn't need replacing.

Edited by Saint Scott
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

My point was a long term replacement for Romeu in that they play the same role and he will likely leave after seeing his contract out. Personally I think we have a ready made hojberg replacement in Reed so he doesn't need replacing.

Maybe Reed is Romeu's replacement 

Mindblown GIF | Gfycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Billing at Bournemouth has potential.  Looked decent at Huddersfield.  Difficult to call when he been in two teams who have not played well in consecutive seasons, but he could help us in that area for the right price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, positivepete said:

Billing at Bournemouth has potential.  Looked decent at Huddersfield.  Difficult to call when he been in two teams who have not played well in consecutive seasons, but he could help us in that area for the right price.

would prefer Lerma over Billing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abdoulaye Doucouré  from Watford, not sure what his value would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SNOWY said:

Abdoulaye Doucouré  from Watford, not sure what his value would be.

Likely way more than we would afford.

27 might be a smidge too old.  Think we’re targeting younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 11:32, the saint in winchester said:

OK, let's extend Reed's contract and buy another DM. Let them play season warm-up games (will there be any this summer with only 2 months break?) and then Ralph can decide his batting order.

Reed will only extend his contract if he is one of the starting two, absolutely won't extend if we're signing another DM and he is potentially fourth choice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players I'd look at, not considering whether we have place in the squad for them, just players I like.

Watford

  • Deulofeu (Boufal replacement?)
  • Chalobah (at one point was extremely highly rated)  
  • Doucoure
  • Welbeck

Bournemouth

  • Nathan Ake
  • Callum Wilson
  • Dominic Solanke (will eventually come good)
  • Harry Wilson (I Know technically a Liverpool player
  • Ryan Fraser

Norwich

  • Cantwell
  • Max Aarons
  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope Reed wants to come back. Perfect and free.

Sell Hoj, buy KWP, still make a profit.

Simples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Players I'd look at, not considering whether we have place in the squad for them, just players I like.

Watford

  • Deulofeu (Boufal replacement?) - too high wage demands
  • Chalobah (at one point was extremely highly rated) - I would have a punt on him 
  • Doucoure - was going to PSG or a top 6 club last season, don't think we would be able to afford to buy him nor his wages
  • Welbeck - Injuries and wages :shakey:

Bournemouth

  • Nathan Ake - Going to a Top 6 club (probable one of the Manchester clubs)
  • Callum Wilson - on £110k pw - no way will we pay that - I would assume Spuds or Neverton will buy
  • Dominic Solanke (will eventually come good) - Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :shakey:
  • Harry Wilson (I Know technically a Liverpool player - Yes would love him
  • Ryan Fraser - Wants bug wages £100k + our top player is on £80k

Norwich

  • Cantwell - Would love him, heard he is off to Pool
  • Max Aarons - Would love him - heard he is off to Arsenal
  •  

I think our problem would be Price and Wages - we tend to buy at £5-15m going up to £20m at a push and wages from £25k-75k these mean alot of clubs & players are not going to think Saints.

 

to quote myself

Quote

'I said in the relegated teams - buendia or Cantwell from Norwich (cant see them selling both tbh) - I have heard on the grapevine / gossip that Cantwell is off to a top 6 team (pool or utd) and buendia  is off to Leeds (Argie connection ) :classic_sad:

Cant see Brooks coming to us either - i would have thought a bigger team would buy him or Bournemouth will keep him even if they go down

King I love - works hard a better version of Long (works the channels, frees up space for Wilson) as he actually scores sometimes

Harry Wilson from Bournemouth should be worth a view but the number 1 choice from Bournemouth for me is Jefferson Lerma - exactly what we need, dynamic, cynical, middle of the park DCM breaking up play (as he does to us ever time we play them!)'

 

 

Quote

Norwich

https://www.canaries.co.uk/first-team-squad/first-team/

Max Arrons - FB

Ben Godfrey - CB

Jamel Lewis - FB

Todd Cantwell - ACM (I am sure he will be off to a TOP 6 Club tbh) 😔

Emiliano Buendia - ACM :poundit:

 

Bournemouth

https://www.afcb.co.uk/teams/first-team/

Aaron Ramsdale - GK

Nathan Ake :lol:  - CB - (I am sure he will be off to a TOP 6 Club tbh)

Chris Mepham - CB

Jefferson Lerma - DCM (exactly what we need as a Defensive CM as a platform for the team)

Philip Billing - DCM

David Brooks - ACM :lol:  (I am sure he will be off to a TOP 6 Club tbh)

Harry Wilson - ACM

Josh King - CF

Callum Wilson - CF

(I totally understand we have no chance at Wilson. King, Ake, Brooks or Wilson due to wages!)

 

Watford

https://www.watfordfc.com/teams/watford-first-team/players

Abdulaya Doucoure - DCM - :lol: ( no chance)

Nathaniel Chalobah - ACM

Danny Welbeck - CF (always injured - wages) 

Andre Gray - CF 

Ismalia Sarr - CF

Issac Success - CF

Christian Kabasele - CB

Roberto Peyera - ACM :lol: again no chance

 

 

 

Edited by le_tiss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised no-one has mentioned Lloyd Kelly, seeing as how it was reported that Bournemouth beat us to his signing.

Young, left sided CB. Injuries ruined the start of his Bournemouth career, but he was in the side and doing okay at the end of the season during their mini revival.

I doubt we're interested in anyone from the relegated trio. The "cream" (Aarons, Lewis, Sarr, Doucoure, Ake, Cantwell) will go to big clubs, and the rest just aren't good value for money. Ryan Fraser on a free might be worth a punt, but that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned Lloyd Kelly, seeing as how it was reported that Bournemouth beat us to his signing.

Young, left sided CB. Injuries ruined the start of his Bournemouth career, but he was in the side and doing okay at the end of the season during their mini revival.

I doubt we're interested in anyone from the relegated trio. The "cream" (Aarons, Lewis, Sarr, Doucoure, Ake, Cantwell) will go to big clubs, and the rest just aren't good value for money. Ryan Fraser on a free might be worth a punt, but that's about it.

I don't think Sarr's unrealistic, I'd have thought the big clubs would be more ambitious and try and go for the next level up. i.e. gamble on something from abroad that they think will be better or sign someone with a bit more of a track record in the league. Feel like you have to be fairly outstanding at a relegated club to move to the top 6.
 

Sarr and Aarons would be my two, maybe Solanke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Reed will only extend his contract if he is one of the starting two, absolutely won't extend if we're signing another DM and he is potentially fourth choice. 

So we reassure him he IS one of the starting two, then he signs the new contract.

After that, Ralph can check him over and decide if we need to strengthen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Reed will only extend his contract if he is one of the starting two, absolutely won't extend if we're signing another DM and he is potentially fourth choice. 

Would he turn down a Premier League contract if the alternative is a Championship one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

So we reassure him he IS one of the starting two, then he signs the new contract.

After that, Ralph can check him over and decide if we need to strengthen.

So we lie to him and end up with a severely pissed off player on our hands who doesn't trust the management or want to be here?

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Would he turn down a Premier League contract if the alternative is a Championship one?

Going by what he's said, yes. Unless we make him an "offer you can't refuse", which we aren't going to as he isn't worth the kinds of figures it would take to keep him here. 

In short, Fulham's valuation of him is probably higher than ours right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we really think Nathan Ake is worth £40million+ he played in a team relegated. I suppose time will tell but seems over priced to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stu_Saint said:

Do we really think Nathan Ake is worth £40million+ he played in a team relegated. 

Should judge a player on his own  merits rather than how his club did in one season. Liverpool signed Andrew Robertson from a relegated Hull City. Lallana and Schneiderlin were relegated with Saints to League One.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes you think, what’s the greatest XI that’s ever been relegated from the Premier League? You could probably stick Niemi in as GK and Crouch was in the England team with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Makes you think, what’s the greatest XI that’s ever been relegated from the Premier League? You could probably stick Niemi in as GK and Crouch was in the England team with us.

Wijnaldum and Sissoko were too good to go down with Newcastle. They got good money for those two too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lighthouse said:

Joe Cole and Defoe with West Ham.

Viduka and Smith at Leeds.

Carrick too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Makes you think, what’s the greatest XI that’s ever been relegated from the Premier League? You could probably stick Niemi in as GK and Crouch was in the England team with us.

Not Premier League but going back it'd be hard to beat Channon and Osgood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})