Ryan Bertrand

Saint Garrett

6 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

Ryan Bertrand was a absolute bargain at 10 million quid! .....Been a fantastic left back for us buts gets slated on here  because he is a  quiet and humble person and not a fist pumping ego jumping maniac !  

Does he get slated?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2020 at 05:20, benjii said:

Does he get slated?

Did for a while, mainly because he looked half arsed especially with the captains armband he was given presumably to keep him sweet. But going on a comment He made just after Ralph’s arrival most of that was likely down to the turgid football we played under Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes. He has been much better this season.

I don’t care what anybody says, there’s been times when he’s been poor and looked like he couldn’t be arsed. The excuse he doesn’t like the football doesn’t wash with me, that’s unacceptable.  However, he was fantastic this season and at other times has been class. Overall, he’s been a really good player and one of our best buys. I guess there’s a reason he’s still at Southampton & hasn’t got a shit load of caps, and it’s probably to do with the poor spells. 

• Like 1

never really minded that he comes across as grumpy. As far as i’m Concerned he’s been very consistent despite some of the garbage managers we’ve appointed. Very harshly treated by southgate too after being excellent in qualifying, in favour of bizarre half fit rose and makeshift left back young. Be good to get a new contract sorted.

Excellent player, disgrace that he didn't go to World Cup. Integral in getting us there (though tbf virtually impossible not to qualify even if I played left back but that's not the point) then binned off for Ashley fuckin' Young.  Will be very pleased if he signs a new contract.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Talksport usually spout a load of nonsense but this time I am choosing to believe them. Great news if true, not only because it means we keep a great player, but also another example of players wanting to be part of Ralph's plan .

It's certainly a good news pre-season so far.

This was mooted before in the Daily Telegraph article I think, where they mentioned JWP too. Been waiting for the official announcement on this, so it looks imminent now we're all back in pre-season.

I heard that Bertie was all set to sign, but when he met Semmens - he wasn’t smiling. Semmens was furious, ripped the contract in two and threw it in the bin (Cortese style), shouting: ‘we only want players who smile at this club!!’

It’s a shame, but I applaud the approach taken from the club and hope we ensure ALL players smile ALL of the time.

Edited by Saint Mikey
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

I heard that Bertie was all set to sign, but when he met Semmens - he wasn’t smiling. Semmens was furious, ripped the contract in two and threw it in the bin (Cortese style), shouting: ‘we only want players who smile at this club!!’

It’s a shame, but I applaud the approach taken from the club and hope we ensure ALL players smile ALL of the time.

Yes. I heard he failed the test when Martin Semmens smacks him across the face with a rancid kipper to see if he'll keep smiling. Bertie's gritted teeth were spotted. Shame.

Edited by Shroppie
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Although.....it all makes perfect sense (as Roger Waters once sang). Arsenal get to recreate the dream defence of Cedric & Ryan on the training ground (not sure either would get much first team football) AND Ryan & Danny can car share on the way up to training in North London!😀

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-transfer-news-ryan-bertrand-southampton-b900828.html Bertrand's agent doing his job here placing this story to give him leverage at the negotiating table.

It wouldn't surprise me if the source of this "leak" was the agent, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal are looking for cover. They recently loaned out Kolasinac with a view to him leaving permanently. Bertrand would be a very similar acquisition to Cedric last year, so there is a precedent.

Whether Bertrand would actually want to play reserve to Tierney (who is an excellent player, but does seem a little injury prone) is anyone's guess. Money (or a longer contract) talks and we all know players on their last big payday have a tendency to chase the cash. We'll see, I still think he'll stay with us, but the longer it goes on I become less confident. 

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the source of this "leak" was the agent, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal are looking for cover. They recently loaned out Kolasinac with a view to him leaving permanently. Bertrand would be a very similar acquisition to Cedric last year, so there is a precedent.

Whether Bertrand would actually want to play reserve to Tierney (who is an excellent player, but does seem a little injury prone) is anyone's guess. Money (or a longer contract) talks and we all know players on their last big payday have a tendency to chase the cash. We'll see, I still think he'll stay with us, but the longer it goes on I become less confident. 

Bertie is not motivated by money he’s very wealthy in and out of football certainty be surprised if he went anywhere as cover this is more about a 3 year deal rather than a 2 year deal 

3 hours ago, saint77 said:

Bertie is not motivated by money he’s very wealthy in and out of football certainty be surprised if he went anywhere as cover this is more about a 3 year deal rather than a 2 year deal 

Agreed. I just don't see him wanting to be on the bench. 

I have been a huge fan over the years. however, I have to say that I am concerned about this deal. I've been saying it for a while now, but he has lost quite a bit of pace, and that pace got him out of a lot of trouble and caused trouble at the other end. If we end up paying £100k a week (or whatever it is) for three years for a player on the slide, that is going to haunt us. Hope I am wrong, but for me the club should seriously be looking at replacements as an option . Omar Richards, Brandon Williams or whoever that can either put pressure on him or replace him.

• Like 1

just to add that an alternative might be to bring someone else in AND offer Bertie a new contract, but that contract be for two years and at a level suitable for a player that may be on the bench and not for a fella that should have gone to the world cup in 2018.

5 hours ago, Chez said:

just to add that an alternative might be to bring someone else in AND offer Bertie a new contract, but that contract be for two years and at a level suitable for a player that may be on the bench and not for a fella that should have gone to the world cup in 2018.

If he's not happy with a 2 year deal and being first choice he definitely won't be happy about a two year deal on less wages and being back up. 

If he was available on a free he'd get a premier League club no problem. 

2 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Very underrated player who doesn't get a lot of praise from our fans but tonight we saw how important he is for us. With him and Forster in the team, we'd have got a draw.

Not sure he's under rated at all? He's clearly our best left back by an absolute mile, no one is even close.

He's slowed and aged, but still....we have no one who can touch him. We do need to have a better player behind him who can come in when required and then potentially become his replacement in a few years.

Sadly I don't think that will be Vokins. We've produced a lot of good left backs and it's often been quick to see that they're capable, but Vokins doesn't look anywhere near the right level to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure he's under rated at all? He's clearly our best left back by an absolute mile, no one is even close.

He's slowed and aged, but still....we have no one who can touch him. We do need to have a better player behind him who can come in when required and then potentially become his replacement in a few years.

Sadly I don't think that will be Vokins. We've produced a lot of good left backs and it's often been quick to see that they're capable, but Vokins doesn't look anywhere near the right level to me.

Personally don't think Vokins was THAT bad last night, against a very good team. Valery is a different story. Probably should give him a chance, but also to get Brandon in on loan in the meantime.

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Think it was a mistake to let Targett go look how he is thriving at Villa

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Personally don't think Vokins was THAT bad last night, against a very good team. Valery is a different story. Probably should give him a chance, but also to get Brandon in on loan in the meantime.

Thought Vokins was a lot worse than Valery last night. I'd guess Ralph agrees as he dragged Vokins off to put a midfielder in his place.

I certainly wouldn't offer him a 3 year deal, he's at the age where performance and fitness tends to drop off more often than not. Having spent the last two years trying to get players off the wage bill, it would naive to start stuffing it with aging players who contribute very little on the pitch. We've already made that mistake with Long, I'm hoping we don't repeat it with Bertrand and Walcott.

People are quick to envy when another club signs an 'experienced pro', like Palace and Bournemouth with Cahill and Defoe respectively. The former has been fit 1/3 of the season and conceded 14 goals in 3 games, the latter spent two years of his three year deal being paid to go to Scotland.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I certainly wouldn't offer him a 3 year deal, he's at the age where performance and fitness tends to drop off more often than not. Having spent the last two years trying to get players off the wage bill, it would naive to start stuffing it with aging players who contribute very little on the pitch. We've already made that mistake with Long, I'm hoping we don't repeat it with Bertrand and Walcott.

People are quick to envy when another club signs an 'experienced pro', like Palace and Bournemouth with Cahill and Defoe respectively. The former has been fit 1/3 of the season and conceded 14 goals in 3 games, the latter spent two years of his three year deal being paid to go to Scotland.

If the club and Bertrand see the future as 3 years of playing and then move on, I agree with you.

If there’s a view from both sides for Bertrand to move into coaching or an ambassadorial role and we can see there being a real long term benefit for the club then the third year on the contract, knowing we’re not going to get as much from a playing side may be worth taking. Better that than he goes to one of our rivals and gives them years of service as a top coach for the sake of one years salary.

No idea if this is in Bertrand’s plans or what his coaching abilities are but there could be more to consider than is he going to be a good enough player in the 2023/24 season.

Same applies to Walcott.

29 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

If the club and Bertrand see the future as 3 years of playing and then move on, I agree with you.

If there’s a view from both sides for Bertrand to move into coaching or an ambassadorial role and we can see there being a real long term benefit for the club then the third year on the contract, knowing we’re not going to get as much from a playing side may be worth taking. Better that than he goes to one of our rivals and gives them years of service as a top coach for the sake of one years salary.

No idea if this is in Bertrand’s plans or what his coaching abilities are but there could be more to consider than is he going to be a good enough player in the 2023/24 season.

Same applies to Walcott.

Bertrand will end up in the boardroom environment not on the coaching field by all accounts. 

1 hour ago, ChrisPY said:

Same applies to Walcott.

Maybe that's in the pipeline but I don't really like it. It's too 'jobs for the boys' for my liking. We should only be hiring people when and where they're needed based on their skill set. Not saying people can stick around because everyone likes them. I could be wrong but I'm far from convinced the likes of Kelvin and Radhi are revolutionary coaching gurus.

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I tend to disagree, I think it’s important to have players like Bertrand around the club. I don’t think 3 years is unreasonable or unrealistic, I’ve seen nothing in his game or fitness to suggest he still wouldn’t be performing at a good level in 2.5/3 years time.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Bertrand