Ryan Bertrand

Saint Garrett

He is still very good one vs one, absolutely bossed Salah and dealt with Traore very well across both Wolves games.

Yes he isn't quite as dynamic as he was a few years ago, but that is to be expected.

I just think, like with a few of our players, he just looks a bit tired. He has played 90mins in almost every game of a very congested season.

Why? Because our full back back up is crap/non-existant. Would be great to be able to give him a rest every so often but we can't.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

We currently have a single player in our squad capable of scoring on a regular basis and it looks like he is leaving this Summer. I think it would be incredibly dumb not to renew Bertrands contract when we have such a vital area of the squad to rebuild, and probably the most expensive as well. Letting Bertrand go would probably require 10m+ to get a replacement that is better. 10m that could be spent in much better areas. No brainer for me, renew. 

• Like 1

At what point do we say that Betrand is not able to the job we need in the Premier league though? He is bound to want more than a single year, so in five years should we still be paying top wages for him? Maybe next year he would still be the best option, but after that? At some point we need to cut our loses, we have plenty of players on the books who are not contributing. he is no longer able to do what a LB needs to do in a team that plays like us and relies on full backs to give the team width, which is pretty much every team in the league.

• Like 2

Our squad needs two left backs.  It doesn't look like Vokins is going to be one of the two left backs so he needs to find another club as he really needs playing time.

If Ryan is willing to accept a contract that reflects the likelihood of him becoming the back up left back over the duration of that contract then that would be good business for us.  We do need to find that left back that will eventually take Ryan's place though.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2021 at 14:12, notnowcato said:

Our squad needs two left backs.  It doesn't look like Vokins is going to be one of the two left backs so he needs to find another club as he really needs playing time.

If Ryan is willing to accept a contract that reflects the likelihood of him becoming the back up left back over the duration of that contract then that would be good business for us.  We do need to find that left back that will eventually take Ryan's place though.

Yeah ideally you'd see it go like Fuchs at Leicester, where a young left back comes in and competes for that position, eventually superceding him but he's still involved. Ryan has similar to Fuchs shown ability to slot into a three man defence before too if we ever felt the need to go that route. Wonder if getting burned by the long extension has affected saints decision making on any bertrand extension.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2021 at 13:38, Mystic Force said:

At what point do we say that Betrand is not able to the job we need in the Premier league though? He is bound to want more than a single year, so in five years should we still be paying top wages for him? Maybe next year he would still be the best option, but after that? At some point we need to cut our loses, we have plenty of players on the books who are not contributing. he is no longer able to do what a LB needs to do in a team that plays like us and relies on full backs to give the team width, which is pretty much every team in the league.

I think he's the best option this season because he is the only option, I can't see him maintaining or improving form next season, unless he has been carrying an injury this season. As others have said we need back up / competition for that spot. If he wants to stay and fight for the spot on a reasonable deal, shortish duration and pay reflecting his age, then I'm happy for him to stay on for a season. If not then we will need to find two left backs. 

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 14:19, Toussaint said:

I think he's the best option this season because he is the only option, I can't see him maintaining or improving form next season, unless he has been carrying an injury this season. As others have said we need back up / competition for that spot. If he wants to stay and fight for the spot on a reasonable deal, shortish duration and pay reflecting his age, then I'm happy for him to stay on for a season. If not then we will need to find two left backs. 

Cedric has made an " extra career "  by playing both RB and LB at Arsenal, but I don't see Bertrand managing that - after last night's performance.

Clearly we need to get a good LB who can DAJFU at Prem. level for the next 4-5 years, and quite frankly  ..." it a'int gonna be  ' im " .

A more mature Vokins?, or A.N. Other ?... but somehow this must be resolved in the summer.  

I wouldn't go anywhere near him with a new contract. I appreciate his efforts for us, he has done us a good service over numerous years.

But, he's done. His legs have gone, his pace is gone. He is next to useless for us.

Sadly, I don't think we can lose him as we'd lose him for free. Therefore we'd have no scope to replace him, so we'd be a bit screwed. I think we will have to keep him by default.

• Like 1

Been one of my favourite players over the last few years, but sadly he doesn't bring anything to the team anymore. Not sure if it's the system we play and whether he would be better suited to a different style, but it seems a parting off the ways will occur. Got to hope that the recruitment team have got a replacement lined up, as I don't think Vokins is going to make it here. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Signing Bertrand up for a new contract after today's performance would be a big mistake. I've thought for a while that he is past his sell by date, today confirmed it. Dreadful display, hopeless defensively and offered very little meaningfully going forward. 

Did get an assist for Che's goal though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Hinting at dressing room unrest?

Of course there is. Bertrand is an absolute baby and whiny little prick when things get tough. The trouble is, he’s not good enough and doesn’t work hard enough himself to be  like that. 

The sooner he’s gone the better as he’s not even a good player anymore. 

• Like 1

Did anyone notice the pace on the ball when Redmond passed the ball back to Bertie  on the right back position  i think it was against M.city or just against Brighton but i don't think they get on with each other, and then the glare afterwards . A bit tetchy me thinks. Im sure someone saw the same as me or i might have been seeing that little incident and got the wrong idea. 2nd half of either one of the games mentioned. For some time now those 2 have never really played together with trust in each others ability to commit attacking moves  unlike the right side with KWP and Armstrong and Ralph should get them together and bang their heads together and tell them it stops now or subs bench ,just cross the balls and see what panic we may cause.

9 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Did anyone notice the pace on the ball when Redmond passed the ball back to Bertie  on the right back position  i think it was against M.city or just against Brighton but i don't think they get on with each other, and then the glare afterwards . A bit tetchy me thinks. Im sure someone saw the same as me or i might have been seeing that little incident and got the wrong idea. 2nd half of either one of the games mentioned. For some time now those 2 have never really played together with trust in each others ability to commit attacking moves  unlike the right side with KWP and Armstrong and Ralph should get them together and bang their heads together and tell them it stops now or subs bench ,just cross the balls and see what panic we may cause.

I imagine Bertrand is just fed up with having to put up with Redmond in front of him, it would do my nut in.

I doubt anyone in the squad can get on with Redmond. He's shit at his job and blames everyone else for his own shortcomings. I've worked with people like that and the general consensus is that they're dicks and you can't wait to see the back of them.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

I’d still sign him up for another 2 years if wages are right. Zero trust in us getting a competent lb, we’ll end up playing Salisu there or some such. Not sure about the scapegoating - neither goal down to him and set up our one attack, certainly not brilliant but no worse than KWP and better than all our attacking midfielders 

Just now, Hodgey said:

I’d still sign him up for another 2 years if wages are right. Zero trust in us getting a competent lb, we’ll end up playing Salisu there or some such. Not sure about the scapegoating - neither goal down to him and set up our one attack, certainly not brilliant but no worse than KWP and better than all our attacking midfielders 

That is my view really. I don't really want to keep him, but I think the default will be that we have to. Given that we won't get a fee for him we wouldn't be able to replace him, so it's not worth the risk. Sad it has to be that way, because we do need to do better in that position.

7 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

He was marking (or rather not marking) Dunk from the corner for the first goal yesterday.

Entirely bertrands fault to allow Dunk a free header at goal whilst ducking out the way so he didn't get hurt. The guy gave up trying months ago. I must be the only one who see it.

• Like 2

He has been a very good servant to the club, but this is a harsh business. We need someone on the left similar to the KWP ilk on the right. I'm not suggesting I know who that might be, but a left back who is quick, good in the tackle, can take on and beat opposition defenders and can supply a final ball into the box and then get back quickly if it breaks down. I'm afraid Ryan doesn't offer much of these anymore.  Far too many backward passes and he seems to lack "desire and determination". Whether that's his attitude or just age has caught up with him I'm not sure. I get the argument that we need to strengthen elsewhere as a priority. But a marauding pacey left back in my opinion would open up so many more opportunities. 

I wonder how much Man U would want for Luke Shaw.......Haha.

• Haha 1

His legs are shot and he knows it. He won't commit forward too often because he knows he can't get back. If you look at many of the goals we concede we look outnumbered because we are and often Ryan will saunter into the top of the picture in a replay while the opposition are all celebrating. The centre backs know this and often shift over to compensate but then get caught in the middle of the passer and the recipient. 

Sorry Ryan, I appreciate all you have done but you are not EPL level anymore.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

Its a big shame that this awful patch we have entered (2021) has coincided with the academy being at its very thinnest. The problems we have suffered with injuries have really shown us in great detail all the youngsters coming through, and its not good enough, sadly. If ever there was a club that needed a complete overhaul its us. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just been randomly looking at the leagues defensive stats.
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/defense/Premier-League-Stats

Bertrand is 2nd in the league for successful pressures per 90min (43%) and 3rd in the league for tackle success rate (61.9%). He is 13th in the league for total number of tackles 68 vs 97 (PEH). Romeu is joint 13th with Bertrand as an FYI.

• Like 1

Bertrand is a very good defender, statistically one of the best 1v1 defenders in the league (incidentally so is KWP).

QBqASo9vfcBTy4IPd0u5rfzeDXc97Ccvy6iJhMLJrwU.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=8490274ae7ea7019a75f5bab81591dbc951f4005

He would probably be fine for our needs if we had decent, fit, competent attacking players who could regularly make chances. Unfortunately our attack has looked very weak so we rely on him to have an attacking output and progress the ball.  Also unfortunately his ability to do that recently has fallen off a cliff and he looks like a liability going forward.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

Still a very good defender imo. I’d expect him still to be good next season. For me it all comes down to what he is after in terms of contract. Ideally he’d sign a one year extension, we buy some raw diamond and a year later he either moves on or signs on again this time as a squad player. Given the lack of news i’m guessing he wants something a lot more, which probably saints aren’t keen on understandably.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Been a fantastic player for Saints, that there is no doubt. But after this season Saints should not be breaking out big money - an extra year possibly as back up / cup rotation for whoever they find to come in assuming they do, but even then the Shane Long extension proved to be an expensive waste. 

Capable of playing in this league for a few more years yet, and I think he’s a good influence behind the scenes, but the club needs to be careful with offering large contracts to ageing players. I’m torn, but trust the club to get it right. Think it would be a shame to see him go. 2 year deal would be perfect. 

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Capable of playing in this league for a few more years yet,

I think if the team he played for didn't expect him to bomb up and down the wing for 90mins then he could, for us playing this style he is spent.

• Like 1

We need two left backs imo. Would be great if Bertrand could be our back up as he could help guide the new lad and would save on a transfer fee. On the other hand I'm not too worried, he shouldn't be a regular starter next season and we have bigger fish to fry than worrying about LB backup when the likes of Salisu can play there if all else fails.

23 minutes ago, TWar said:

We need two left backs imo. Would be great if Bertrand could be our back up as he could help guide the new lad and would save on a transfer fee. On the other hand I'm not too worried, he shouldn't be a regular starter next season and we have bigger fish to fry than worrying about LB backup when the likes of Salisu can play there if all else fails.

Out of interest, what makes you think that he’d sign a new deal just to be a back up here? A bigger club maybe, but not here. 

Not fussed

He's obviously off been a good servant, think ings is more likely to re-sign given he is going to come back next week, Betrands been given the Hoj treatment until the end of the season.

Need someone to offer what KWP does on the right to keep us balanced as its too predictable at the moment, infact the whole left side needs an upgrade.

51 minutes ago, SKD said:

Out of interest, what makes you think that he’d sign a new deal just to be a back up here? A bigger club maybe, but not here. 

He is not at a level to start for a team aiming 7th-12th which is, apparently, our aim imo. So either he steps up and sits on a bench for a team like Everton, West Ham or Arsenal or he steps down and starts for a newly promoted side or a Burnley/Brighton who are even more skint than we are. I do think him being at an awkward spot for us where he is probably too good to be on our bench but not good enough to start is part of the reason we are struggling to reach an agreement as those roles command different wage and priority.

So to answer your question, I don't think he wants that, I think he'll leave for one of the the previous two suggested options. If he does stay it'll either be because he is settled and can't be bothered moving or because we have given him some kind of post-playing career assurances as he knows the team well and might do well coaching or behind the scenes.

Edited by TWar

36 minutes ago, TWar said:

He is not at a level to start for a team aiming 7th-12th which is, apparently, our aim imo. So either he steps up and sits on a bench for a team like Everton, West Ham or Arsenal or he steps down and starts for a newly promoted side or a Burnley/Brighton who are even more skint than we are. I do think him being at an awkward spot for us where he is probably too good to be on our bench but not good enough to start is part of the reason we are struggling to reach an agreement as those roles command different wage and priority.

So to answer your question, I don't think he wants that, I think he'll leave for one of the the previous two suggested options. If he does stay it'll either be because he is settled and can't be bothered moving or because we have given him some kind of post-playing career assurances as he knows the team well and might do well coaching or behind the scenes.

I've always hoped that with his business interests outside of football the "can't be bothered moving" would keep him here.

Also thought that he'd go on to become a good coach or manager in years to come, but maybe those same business interests woulsd get in the way of that.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Need someone to offer what KWP does on the right to keep us balanced as its too predictable at the moment, infact the whole left side needs an upgrade.

Good call, most of our decent moves do head down the right right now when KWP plays. Really showed we had no width when he was out injured. Get someone similar with a good engine down the left and will open up our forward play imo. At the moment RB looks fucked by the time he has run up/down the pitch a few times.

With Chelsea being rumoured to be offloading Alonso and Palmieri I wouldn't be surprised if Bertie went back there as back-up to Chillwell. Or possibly West Ham. He could join either without having to move house if he wanted.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Bertrand