Ryan Bertrand

Saint Garrett

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Arsenal with both Cedric and Bertrand would be quite something.

Arsenal are just sooo Super League, aren't they?

It’s like when Liverpool signed a bunch of players from the team that finished 8th and ended up... 8th.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He'll get a decent move, Milan clubs seem to like picking up experienced players to get another year or two out of them, wouldn't surprise me. 

Shame to lose him on a free, we'll have to pay quite a bit for a replacement of his standard. 

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

He’ll get a good club, he’s a good player, despite what people on here pretend. 

It is possible to be both. Good enough for a better side, but not right for us. Our first choice left back needs to play week in week out, be able to get and down the pitch time after time, and be a positive influence around the club. Oh, and not demand excessive money. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It is possible to be both. Good enough for a better side, but not right for us. Our first choice left back needs to play week in week out, be able to get and down the pitch time after time, and be a positive influence around the club. Oh, and not demand excessive money. 

How do you know he's not a positive influence? Oh you read it on here 🙄

You also have no idea about him demanding "excessive " money

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

How do you know he's not a positive influence? Oh you read it on here 🙄

You also have no idea about him demanding "excessive " money

Didn’t say one way or the other, did I?

Just listing the attributes needed, it’s up to Ralph to decide if he fits the bill. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Shame to see him go on a free but he’s more than paid back his transfer fee over the years.

Decent player, good servant, and seemed a nice guy. Best for both parties for him to move on it seems, all the best to him.

• Like 3

There have been links to Arsenal for a while now, cropped up in the last few windows so probably something in it.

Arsenal fans must be close to mutiny though, Bertrand isn't a signing who is going to take them anywhere bar where they are now, maybe lower. All a bit strange really.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Bertrand isn't a signing who is going to take them anywhere bar where they are now, maybe lower. All a bit strange really.

He will be backup to Tierney who is a better wing back by miles if they sign him. Think they have been using Saka as back up but would prefer him up the pitch a lot more.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is nonsense. We are unbalanced without him and he remains a very good player.

He's been way off for at least the past 12 months. You'd be pretty negative to assume that we couldn't replace him with a player with better output than what he's been producing.

Brilliant player for the club but right time to move on and also a high earned off the bill. Hope we go for Henry because Williams looked absolutely dreadful yesterday.

Sad to see him go, I was very underwhelmed when we signed him to replace Shaw in that summer of upheaval. He’s gone onto be one of my favourite players of this Premier League era, definitely could’ve played for a bigger club at his peak but always seemed happy here. Good luck to him, likely to get a move to one of the big boys now even if just as a deputy. Shame he can’t get a proper send off.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Was very skeptical when he joined, proved me wrong - was excellent for a few years. Clearly been on the downward spiral for the last couple of years and probably best for all parties that he moves on.

Little dig on instagram? "the time has come for me to seek a new challenge and find a new home that allows me the freedom to play and maximise my contribution to the team"

1 minute ago, SaintMB said:

Not naming manager in his thanks to the club figures? Didn’t see eye to eye I guess. 

Ralph is the latest in a long line of managers he's played at, I read it more as him thanking the club as a whole rather than deliberately ignoring the manager.

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Bertrand - Official: Leaving in Summer

Cheers for seven years of excellent service. I think this is a good deal for all parties, he'll provide cover for a bigger/richer club somewhere but realistically he'd never be able to play consistently with the intensity we need and we can't afford to keep him purely as back up.

• Like 1

Have very fond memories of Bertrand as he came in when we were at a low ebb after all the departures in summer 2014, helped steady the ship and played a vital part in one of our best ever teams. For a number of years felt he was our best English leftback and will never forgive Southgate for not taking him to the World Cup. No doubt he looks at the trophies that the average Walker has won at Manchester City and thinks he could have had the same at the right club. Seven years is a long time for a player of his quality to stay at a team like Saints and he owes us nothing. Just feels like the relationship had run its course. He will move on, maybe even to Chelsea, make more money and possibly add to his Champions League medal.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is nonsense. We are unbalanced without him and he remains a very good player.

He is a very good player but i think age has caught up with him insofar as playing the style Ralph wants to play.

Despite your observation we are still unbalanced with him playing because most of the attacking threat comes down the right from Walker-Peters. If we are looking to buy a pacey left back to attack down that flank in the same way then that is progress. Dare say Ryan three or four years ago would have done the job more than adequately.

Good player for us, and had a couple of years where he was arguably one of the best LBs in the league. Should have had more England caps!

He'll be off to Arsenal or possibly Watford/Brentford. I'd be very surprised if he moves further afield, he never moved from Surrey when he left Chelsea to join us.

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Cheers for seven years of excellent service. I think this is a good deal for all parties, he'll provide cover for a bigger/richer club somewhere but realistically he'd never be able to play consistently with the intensity we need and we can't afford to keep him purely as back up.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Excellent with Tadic and other better players, the fact he’d probably get in most supporters “best side since promotion “ ahead of Shaw shows how well he’s played. Supporters as a whole seemed to have a strange relationship with him, never really a favourite, sung about every week, but never really a whipping boy. 

Id be interested in what sort of bloke he is off the pitch, as he doesn’t seem like your normal footballer to me. 

Has been a model pro for us and an extremely reliable left back, I'm sure he'll do well wherever he ends up.

Probably the right time both for him and the club that he moves on, hopefully we'll be able to replace him well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, igsey said:

Good player for us, and had a couple of years where he was arguably one of the best LBs in the league. Should have had more England caps!

He'll be off to Arsenal or possibly Watford/Brentford. I'd be very surprised if he moves further afield, he never moved from Surrey when he left Chelsea to join us.

Agree he was absolutely top quality left back in his prime, 19 England caps so still a decent number of appearances but should have had more. 

We'll struggle to replace him, Matt Targett would have been worth holding onto. 

Ryan has been a truly great servant to our club. Great player and person (his written statement on Instagram today shows this) - when he signed for us back in the summer of 2014 initially on loan, I thought we had bought ourselves a quality player to be honest. Then we made it permanent the following January for £10 million, what a brilliant piece of business that turned out to be. Good luck Ryan and all the best for the future, your always be welcomed back with open arms - once a Saint always a Saint :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Bertrand