Jake Vokins - Official: Loan to Woking

SuperSAINT

Funnily enough, I saw a little bit from Ralph about him in the Echo piece about Harrison Reed saying he was doing well in training... and that next time he starts, we will see how he handles it.

I didn't watch the game -- How did he do?

He had a first half to forget, his negative play and loose passing stifled our attacking play. He was told to get forward more in the 2nd half which helped, and as Brighton didn't attack at all in the second period he wasn't shown up defensively. A worrying first showing, needs to improve dramatically or he won't make it in the Prem.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

He had a first half to forget, his negative play and loose passing stifled our attacking play. He was told to get forward more in the 2nd half which helped, and as Brighton didn't attack at all in the second period he wasn't shown up defensively. A worrying first showing, needs to improve dramatically or he won't make it in the Prem.

Are you joking me?! That was his first premier league start, And you expect him to be prime Bertrand. What do you expext from a youth player, playing in the prem... He was concerned about making a mistake, And when he had dogshit vestergaard next to him, It's not like he could bomb forward and leave a even bigger gap on the left.

Which im sure you'd ridicule too, If Brighton had scored from coming infield or floating a cross in from the left hand side for murray to gobble up. 

Impressive,in first half we played with disjointed passing and were terrible all over,but in the second half we showed more desire and Voins played quicker and was more  direct with crossing early rather than wait for Redmond to dilly dally with the ball and decide to pass it backwards or even stop with the ball pose then loose it. Very promissing debut  he will grow into it given time and oppertunities. Well done.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Good news :) Jake is a top prospect

Seems like he’s been around forever.  He was one of those lads fast-tracked wasn’t he?   Sure he was around the older age brackets when he was 16.  Always a good sign.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Seems like he’s been around forever.  He was one of those lads fast-tracked wasn’t he?   Sure he was around the older age brackets when he was 16.  Always a good sign.

14 years hes been with the club now :)Youngest ever player to play for the under 23s - he only just turned 15 at the time.

• 5 months later...

This is potentially interesting in regards to the recent mantra that we don't tend to loan players out that have a future with us.

Regardless of that new way of thinking -- I don't think playing 1st team matches will do him any harm whatsoever.
Edited by SuperSAINT

Potentially a good move for him, if it happens.

I think he's a decent all round player on the ball - confident touch, nice passer, puts in some searching crosses, and seeks out clever one twos around the box.

But defensively his development has been disappointing. Not physical or aggressive enough, not proactive. He's just sort of there. Gets into position but has no real presence.

He needs games. B team/u23 football is just not good enough to develop players, no matter how many ways they rebadge or repackage it.

I assumed in the summer our interest in Williams was because the plan was to get Vokins a season loan under his belt. We must be confident of loaning in a full back in the next few days.

Rumours of Maitland-Niles are a bit odd, though, as LB is by far his worst position (dragged at h/t in his last Arsenal start after a terrible outing on the left) and he wants more chances to play in midfield.

Watch this space, I guess.

What a strange move. That said, Ralph appeared not to rate him last season, then thought him good enough, but then didn't involve him. It may be that after the other day he felt he wouldn't bother again so let him get games elsewhere. 

Like others have said though, who's gonna play there if Bertrand can't? Will Ferry has had a few u23 games there but he's a winger, Jeremy Rodriguez is well rated but a kid, and the only other obvious choices are an out of position Diallo or CB. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

What a strange move. That said, Ralph appeared not to rate him last season, then thought him good enough, but then didn't involve him. It may be that after the other day he felt he wouldn't bother again so let him get games elsewhere. 

Like others have said though, who's gonna play there if Bertrand can't? Will Ferry has had a few u23 games there but he's a winger, Jeremy Rodriguez is well rated but a kid, and the only other obvious choices are an out of position Diallo or CB. 

Why is it strange? He isn't good enough for the Premier Legue and Saints are being linked to loaning other fullbacks.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why is it strange? He isn't good enough for the Premier Legue and Saints are being linked to loaning other fullbacks.

Because he literally played three days ago because we had no other options.

Until we bring somebody in, it is strange, quite obviously.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It's strange because we have 1 left back, a right back who can cover, but only Valery as the alt right back. 

It's strange that you don't find that strange.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It only becomes strange if the club doesn't sign a new fullback. It isn't currently strange as the window is still open.

We now don't have an option for our game tomorrow that we had for the last, despite already being worryingly thin squad depth wise.

But you knew this anyway, not sure why I'm bothering.

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

We now don't have an option for our game tomorrow that we had for the last, despite already being worryingly thin squad depth wise.

Bertrand is back to play left back, one of Valery, Ward-Prowse or Diallo will play right back tomorrow. Diallo offers cover for left back if needed tomorrow. It is likely to only be for one game until a loan signing is made before the transfer deadline next week.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Bertrand is back to play left back, one of Valery, Ward-Prowse or Diallo will play right back tomorrow. Diallo offers cover for left back if needed tomorrow. It is likely to only be for one game until a loan signing is made before the transfer deadline next week.

it is hilarious that you talk as if this is at all acceptable. 

If only Salisu was worth anything, we would not have to shift midfielders into defence.

59 minutes ago, egg said:

I seem to remember when i called bullsh1t/spin last year when after one game against a crap championship club Ralph had gone from saying we had to bring in players at full back to being fine with what had i was shouted down on here and told that Ralph has no reason to lie. Seems i might have been right then.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I seem to remember when i called bullsh1t/spin last year when after one game against a crap championship club Ralph had gone from saying we had to bring in players at full back to being fine with what had i was shouted down on here and told that Ralph has no reason to lie. Seems i might have been right then.

I do recall Del. I'd assumed Ralph had seen something and been persuaded by the lad. Seemingly he hasn't, and from what I've seen, I agree. 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That was literally Semmons' answer earlier in the week in that Radio Solent interview: when asked if Valery and Vokins' "emergence" (they'd both just started against the might of Shrewsbury) had changed the club's view on the need to bring in full back cover, he said it had.

Straight talker, that guy. Refreshing...

All seems reasonable enough to me. Last season the club were confident Vokins would be at least competent enough to be a backup to the first team (I.e. as good as Targett, Pied, Valery and Fox etc. have been in the last) but clearly he hasn’t developed to the extent we had hope. Now we’re clearly confident of bringing in someone much better, either as cover for Bertrand or with a view to taking his place long term.

I don’t see how anyone could be upset about replacing Vokins with AMN.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jake Vokins - Official: Loaned to Sunderland
2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Potentially a good move for him, if it happens.

I think he's a decent all round player on the ball - confident touch, nice passer, puts in some searching crosses, and seeks out clever one twos around the box.

But defensively his development has been disappointing. Not physical or aggressive enough, not proactive. He's just sort of there. Gets into position but has no real presence.

He needs games. B team/u23 football is just not good enough to develop players, no matter how many ways they rebadge or repackage it.

I assumed in the summer our interest in Williams was because the plan was to get Vokins a season loan under his belt. We must be confident of loaning in a full back in the next few days.

Rumours of Maitland-Niles are a bit odd, though, as LB is by far his worst position (dragged at h/t in his last Arsenal start after a terrible outing on the left) and he wants more chances to play in midfield.

Watch this space, I guess.

Our full backs play more as wing backs, so perhaps that’s the thinking?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jake Vokins - Official: Loan to Woking