Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

This B league seems redundant to me as a  competition, you either get the better u23s with the first team now they have NINE subs (ridiculous) or out on loan elsewhere, so what you have left in these games is just making up the numbers. The quality of games is not great and you hardly ever get the same starting XI. 

• Like 2

Highlights are up on the website https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-01-29/b-team-highlights-west-ham-united-3-1-southampton-fc-premier-league-2-2020-21

Ferry looks good going forward, but not sure LB is his best position. Anyone think he has potential as left sided number 10? Overall, the defence didn't look too solid, but hard to judge on 5 minutes of highlights. What has happened to Ledwidge and Olufunwa? I thought they were supposed to be highly regarded, but haven't seen either feature this season.

38 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Really surprised Salisu isn’t featuring today - would he have even come in yesterday if say we’d lost Vest and Bednarek to injury?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's still unfit and he just padded the bench with Ramsey the only actual defensive sub. Romeu could drop back and Chauke or Finnigan come into midfield if we'd lost 2 CB's. 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-02-08/southampton-football-club-b-team-coach-lee-skyrme

This sounds promising. Say what you want about the England national team - their youth development in the last 8-10 years has become one of the best in the business.

I assume Crocker has had a hand in this appointment, and probably worked with him at the FA in some capacity.

Skyrme? How are we pronouncing that? Skur-me? Sky-urm? Skrime? These are the important issues.

Edited by qwertyell

4 hours ago, qwertyell said:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-02-08/southampton-football-club-b-team-coach-lee-skyrme

This sounds promising. Say what you want about the England national team - their youth development in the last 8-10 years has become one of the best in the business.

I assume Crocker has had a hand in this appointment, and probably worked with him at the FA in some capacity.

Skyrme? How are we pronouncing that? Skur-me? Sky-urm? Skrime? These are the important issues.

Does sound good. I'm quite excited to see how my son's friend gets on. He joined at the start of last season in the U14's and had been playing up a year quite regularly before this lockdown. 

15 hours ago, qwertyell said:

I would think Skurm.

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Todays game called off, frozen pitch.

At what temperature does water freeze up north...?

Screenshot_20210215-085134.png

MLG note: yes, I'm aware that frozen sub-soil water takes longer to thaw than surface water

Edited by trousers

53 minutes ago, Dusic said:

U 18s are 1 win in 11 this season

B Team are 3 wins in 13

4 wins from 24 games is shocking for a club that places a lot of emphasis on the Academy.

Something is badly wrong at the moment.

Do they have VAR in those leagues as well?! 

Haven’t seen the teams but is part of the problem that because we have to rely on some of the youngsters just to fill a match day squad that they’re taken from the B team (probably correctly), but then their places are filled by u-18’s (resulting in very young B team squads) and then the u-18’s have lots of u-16’s playing for them? I know that was the case with the B team for the past few matches.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Haven’t seen the teams but is part of the problem that because we have to rely on some of the youngsters just to fill a match day squad that they’re taken from the B team (probably correctly), but then their places are filled by u-18’s (resulting in very young B team squads) and then the u-18’s have lots of u-16’s playing for them? I know that was the case with the B team for the past few matches.

That is part of it, although Dusic’s point is still completely valid re: results.

The B-team has also lost most it’s effective players over the course of the season — Sims / N’lundulu / Slattery etc. 

1 hour ago, disconnect said:

I think that's been a significant factor this season. If I remember correctly, both the B Team and U18s have had a few really good results against good sides when they've had a full compliment of elegible players. So, whilst there are undoubtedly other contributory factors, I think the main problem has been the enforced inconsistency in team selection at every level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I think that's been a significant factor this season. If I remember correctly, both the B Team and U18s have had a few really good results against good sides when they've had a full compliment of elegible players. So, whilst there are undoubtedly other contributory factors, I think the main problem has been the enforced inconsistency in team selection at every level.

I am pretty sure all the clubs have inconsistency of selection, thats nature of youth teams.

There is no specific circumstance that Saints have that others don't.

Recently we have had a younger first team bench but for most of that time there has been no U23 or U18 football so that has made no difference.

Quite a few clubs have England players who are unavailable from time to time, we don't have that problem anymore.

At the end of the day, the results are woeful and have been for a while. There are no excuses. To only win 16% of the games across over half a season just suggests the players generslly are not as good as the players they are playing against. And that doesn't bode well for thinking that in a year or 2 some of them will be gopd enough to play on our first team.

26 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I am pretty sure all the clubs have inconsistency of selection, thats nature of youth teams.

Possibly / probably. I'm just going on what I've seen anecdotally. I've lost count of the number of times I've said to myself this season: "that's yet another totally different line up" whenever the B-team or U18s squads have been announced pre-match. I don't recall the line-ups changing so drastically from game to game in previous seasons. As I say, nothing scientific about my observations, just a gut feel that there has been significantly more inconsistency in line-ups this season compared to previous seasons. Happy to put my hands up if there are stats out there that prove my hunch to be wrong. As you say, maybe all other teams have had similar levels of line-up disruption and it's 100% down to us being rubbish. Who knows?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 'B' Team