• Hat trick
    • Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

13 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Glad it wasn't just me who thought that, McManaman seemed to have some weird agenda where he seemed desperate to downplay his performance. 

Aside from those couple of slips I really liked what I saw. Pace, power and composure. Think we've got a player there.

I wouldn’t go that far, he nearly got caught on the ball a couple of times which Mcmanaman called out but let’s not pretend he was frothing at the gash about it. As for his performance bit rusty but that’s to be expected, did very well. He’ll have tougher nights but seems to have all the attributes to become a very good player.

His very first game and Salisu gave me a feeling of comfort and confidence in our defence. He is such a unit and pretty quick for his size. Ok, he made mistakes but most centre backs do and it was his debut so we can allow a few blemishes. Give him a run of games and I am pretty sure he'll become one of the first names on the teamsheet.  Said it on the match thread, I think him and Vest will put the fear of God in opposition defences with JWP's deliveries at set pieces.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Avenue_Saint said:

Game over Stephens.

No need for that. When we've needed him he has stepped up and will continue to do so. Obviously not first choice, but a club like Saints will struggle to have better as 4th choice.

He's been OK, I really don't get the hate on here.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Avenue_Saint said:

Saw enough to realise we have a player on our hands.

Reads the game well and even caught him shouting at Bertrand at one point to get goalside.

Makes such a difference to have a player that nullifies Opposition attacks rather than contributing to Them.

Game over Stephens.

A very solid debut given all the lead up problems.   Once he settled you could see many of the attributes needed - strong, quite quick, very good in the air, good reading and anticipation of the play and a very cultured left foot.    Salisu is going to repay the patience - worth waiting for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

No need for that. When we've needed him he has stepped up and will continue to do so. Obviously not first choice, but a club like Saints will struggle to have better as 4th choice.

He's been OK, I really don't get the hate on here.

Agree. Jack is alright, but I suppose that’s the point really we want and need better. Salisu looks like he ticks those boxes. Jack will do just fine as utility cover imho.

• Like 3

Salisu was excellent. People are jumping on a few errors as if he didn't make some fantastic blocks and interceptions to bail out his teammates' errors. You defend as a unit, and the unit was very tidy, for the first time in what seems like an age.

Keep him fit and he'll become one of the first names on the teamsheet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Salisu was excellent. People are jumping on a few errors as if he didn't make some fantastic blocks and interceptions to bail out his teammates' errors. You defend as a unit, and the unit was very tidy, for the first time in what seems like an age.

Keep him fit and he'll become one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I really don't think people are jumping on a few errors, they're just trying to give an objective and balanced view on a new player. Salisu demonstrated some good potential, but also made some match changing mistakes which we shouldn't brush under the carpet. He was clearly rusty and is only 21 years old (centre halves generally getter better with age), so I think these were understandable. 

But again balancing that out, Wolves are not a free scoring team at the best of times and removing their 3 best attackers meant that Salisu didn't have to face a genuine premier class attack for most of the match, so easier to impress. 

I liked what I saw, I want to see more, but Bednerek and Vestergaard remain the top two centre halves for me for a while yet. 

I'd actually have a similar view on Minamino who scored a wonderful goal on Saturday but his contribution in the 2nd half was abysmal - of course this could understandably be due to fitness, conditions, etc.  But let's see a few more games before we declare them better (or worse) than we already have .... 

• Like 2

Sounds ridiculous because he has only played one game, but I wonder if Saints will try to extend his contract?

He only signed for four years, and it seems he won't play a huge amount in the PL in his first year, and Ralph has often referred to him as "one for the future".

Well...if the optimal selling opportunity is when he has 2 years left on his contract, it would only give one full season before that point is reached.

If we could extend it by one season it makes a lot of sense for Saints.

Also shows how difficult it is to get the contract length right. We have given the likes of Elyounoussi and Forster a 5yr deal which looks a poor decision, but as seen before with Clyne, Wanyama and possibly Ings now, four years is effectively 3 as we dont want them to enter the final year and go for free. With Salisu its almost turned into a 2yr contract as he has barely played in his first year.

Edited by Dusic

Considering the lad has not played a competitive game since joining us and is only 21 I thought he had a bright start to his Saints career. There were signs of rustiness there but entirely to be expected. What i liked about him was his total calmness and you can see the lad could have a bright future if managed well.

I watched his interview on Saints live after the match and he is a very softly spoken lad and comes across as very well grounded.

He won't play Saturday as i fully expect Ralph to integrate him into the side slowly given all his issues this season.

14 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Considering the lad has not played a competitive game since joining us and is only 21 I thought he had a bright start to his Saints career. There were signs of rustiness there but entirely to be expected. What i liked about him was his total calmness and you can see the lad could have a bright future if managed well.

I watched his interview on Saints live after the match and he is a very softly spoken lad and comes across as very well grounded.

He won't play Saturday as i fully expect Ralph to integrate him into the side slowly given all his issues this season.

I can guarantee he won't play on Saturday.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Sounds ridiculous because he has only played one game, but I wonder if Saints will try to extend his contract?

He only signed for four years, and it seems he won't play a huge amount in the PL in his first year, and Ralph has often referred to him as "one for the future".

Well...if the optimal selling opportunity is when he has 2 years left on his contract, it would only give one full season before that point is reached.

If we could extend it by one season it makes a lot of sense for Saints.

Also shows how difficult it is to get the contract length right. We have given the likes of Elyounoussi and Forster a 5yr deal which looks a poor decision, but as seen before with Clyne, Wanyama and possibly Ings now, four years is effectively 3 as we dont want them to enter the final year and go for free. With Salisu its almost turned into a 2yr contract as he has barely played in his first year.

I doubt Salisu would accept an extension on the same wages, but if he starts playing and showing quality that justifies an increase, then we should get on it

21 Years Old and hasn't played since June. 

All considering, a very good debut. Mistakes expcted considering how rusty he would have been, but the fundamentals are clearly there. Atheltic, reads the game intelligently, sweeps well - all vital for a team like ours who play with a high line at times. 

Considering how long it has taken him to make his debut, I think it's made us slightly lose sight of his pedigree. He was a regular in a midtable La Liga side at 20 years old. 

Excited about his future. 

So if we consider Salisu to be a longer term success, then that means we have had four transfer windows of signing good players, bar Danso who was a panic loan.

Minamino - probable hit, even after one game.

Walcott - as a cheap squad player, hit.

Salisu - hit.

Diallo - hit. 

KWP - hit.

Adams - hit.

Ings - hit. (Although pre-arranged the season before...)

Djenepo - hit despite injuries.

Danso - well yeah, he's the let down.

But it goes to show our recruitment is on form and paying off. Diallo, Salisu, Adams and KWP are all excellent additions for the future, as will Djenepo be if he can stay fit long enough. Our first XI when everyone is fit looks strong, if anything there are only issues in strength in depth.

I caught some of the game last night and what I noticed about Salisu, mistakes aside, is that he looked calm on the ball, not lackadaisical but not panicked. Diallo did too when I first saw him, and I think that is a good trait for a Premier League footballer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

So if we consider Salisu to be a longer term success, then that means we have had four transfer windows of signing good players, bar Danso who was a panic loan.

Minamino - probable hit, even after one game.

Walcott - as a cheap squad player, hit.

Salisu - hit.

Diallo - hit. 

KWP - hit.

Adams - hit.

Ings - hit. (Although pre-arranged the season before...)

Djenepo - hit despite injuries.

Danso - well yeah, he's the let down.

But it goes to show our recruitment is on form and paying off. Diallo, Salisu, Adams and KWP are all excellent additions for the future, as will Djenepo be if he can stay fit long enough. Our first XI when everyone is fit looks strong, if anything there are only issues in strength in depth.

I caught some of the game last night and what I noticed about Salisu, mistakes aside, is that he looked calm on the ball, not lackadaisical but not panicked. Diallo did too when I first saw him, and I think that is a good trait for a Premier League footballer.

Can't class Djenepo has a hit. I'm still waiting for him to turn up to be honest.

2 years in and he is still in and out of the side. Yesterday was an opportunity for him but he didn't really do anything. I think he's been massively disappointing overall.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Can't class Djenepo has a hit. I'm still waiting for him to turn up to be honest.

2 years in and he is still in and out of the side. Yesterday was an opportunity for him but he didn't really do anything. I think he's been massively disappointing overall.

I think he is over coached and lost his flair and unpredictable part of game. Sheffield and Brighton games

He spends most of game covering Bertrand and not losing it cheaply playing safe.

Yesterday had Redmond running into his space too much.

Good option off bench Armstrong and Minamino 2 wide players. 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 2

thought he was good enough from debut. very promising

problem is how does ralph get him into the team? i think both vest and salisu like playing on the left side, and bednarek has hardly been dropped since ralph took over. id like to think vest can play on the right but we would miss the ping to kwp

Based on raw attributes and age, I kind of agree with what the club has been saying, long term you'd think Salisu would be first choice centre-back for a long while. 

I mean pacey and powerful centre-backs are not common and even less so are ones with a left foot for that added balance, so you'd think he'd be pushing probably Bednerak out of the team next season (unless Vestergaards form drops heavily again).  This season not so sure, Bednerak's form of late has been iffy (though he has been a tad unlucky as well) but seemed prior to that have formed a good partnership with Vestergaard and often players who work well in a combo can be more than the sum of their parts so I think we'll see those two for a while this season. 

16 minutes ago, Danbert said:

We have definitely upped our recruitment recently but Djenepo is a waste of money. I've seen enough now, and I don't see him coming good.

He does't seem to be an improvement on Boufal that's for sure. Having potential is one thing but after two years, injuries or not, he should have shown his class by now if he has any. Diallo for example, after a couple of games everyone realised we have a player on our hands.

• Like 1

Worth another bump.

Don't worry lads I'm going to be doing this every time he plays well, which will be most weeks because he's obviously very good. 

Anyone still think he is a myth? The next Ali Dia? A waste of money? Or maybe, just maybe, the club did what they had to do to build him up to the level where he puts in a MOTM performance against Chelsea in his second game. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Let's be honest, it was a bit of a strange situation. No one ever really knew what was wrong with him! The signing was done under the radar as well!

But who cares now. He's clearly a good player, got some traits in his makeup that are natural and the makings of a very, very competent top level centre back. 

Hopefully he's over his problems/injuries. He deserves a run in this side.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu - Official: Signs for Monaco