Jump to content

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, LeG said:

That is very good news.

Indeed. Is this a quicker introduction to 'normal training' for Salisu than you were expecting? Just thinking back to your "typical Saints" remark when you mentioned a few weeks ago that we might need to bring in another CB...? Or am I wide of the mark with my reading-between-the-lines there? Cheers @LeG! :)

Edited by trousers
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Was that him thumbing for a lift outside Staplewood?

Pilchards you buffoon! No wonder he was looking pissed off if you just ignored his international "give us a lift mush" signal...........I don't know 😉

He had his brown face mask on so I should of asked him to pop into my passenger seat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, trousers said:

Indeed. Is this a quicker introduction to 'normal training' for Salisu than you were expecting? Just thinking back to your "typical Saints" remark when you mentioned a few weeks ago that we might need to bring in another CB...? Or am I wide of the mark with my reading-between-the-lines there? Cheers @LeG! :)

Yes it is. The injuries that he had we signed him are seemingly not as bad as we first thought. He will need time to get up to speed though. He also came out of his quarantine a lot later than was reported. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2020 at 18:02, Matthew Le God said:

First footage of him training with Saints...

 

Looks like Kelvin's in charge of cones and Dave Watson collecting balls this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LeG said:

Yes it is. The injuries that he had we signed him are seemingly not as bad as we first thought. He will need time to get up to speed though. He also came out of his quarantine a lot later than was reported. 

Cheers @LeG. Really appreciate your insights 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LeG said:

Yes it is. The injuries that he had we signed him are seemingly not as bad as we first thought. He will need time to get up to speed though. He also came out of his quarantine a lot later than was reported. 

I was told October. Would you agree with that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Just getting in early before everyone else after his first 45mins.

Some of us got in several months ago to write him off .....  I posted this video when we were first linked with him .....

The 2nd goal conceded was bad, but goals 3 & 4 are awful. Bring back Vestergaard ....  (ps only joking, I'm sure that it was just an off day !) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/2049395/2020/09/08/explained-left-foot-centre-back-ake-laporte?source=user-shared-article

Quote

Southampton are one such club that won’t be worrying about a lack of balance at the back.

Although they’re hardly a possession-heavy team, their signing of 21-year-old Mohammed Salisu for £10.9 million from Real Valladolid could be quite the coup.

Given how much teams value “Premier League experience”, there’s a very good chance you will see Southampton’s new left-footed centre-back linked with all manner of top teams if he starts regularly for them and accrues good minutes.

That’s a sentiment shared by those within the game too, with one data scout at a European club noting, “Come the end of the season, if he’s got 2,000 minutes in the league, he’s a £20 million player minimum, likely verging on £25 million-£30 million.”

 Interesting bit on Salisu and the importance of left-footed cb in the athletic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone - @LeG or maybe @Dan Sheldon - said that, given his injury (unspecified), he could be available mid-October - so probably after the next international break, if selected. Didn't see any signs of him in this week's training pics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

Someone - @LeG or maybe @Dan Sheldon - said that, given his injury (unspecified), he could be available mid-October - so probably after the next international break, if selected. Didn't see any signs of him in this week's training pics.

I said it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

Someone - @LeG or maybe @Dan Sheldon - said that, given his injury (unspecified), he could be available mid-October - so probably after the next international break, if selected. Didn't see any signs of him in this week's training pics.

Pretty sure he was in the training pics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

Someone - @LeG or maybe @Dan Sheldon - said that, given his injury (unspecified), he could be available mid-October - so probably after the next international break, if selected. Didn't see any signs of him in this week's training 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-09-24/training-gallery-southampton-fc-premier-league-24-september-2020

Picture 3 in there

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say a couple of things.

A)Is the getting up to speed fitness based or tactical, if its fitness then ok and also after last display not super urgent to rush him.

B)If its tactical what is the point of the iBook, surely he could of been reading that in his down time to get up to speed (like an american football playbook)

C)How hard is our system to understand if it takes over a month to learn it, will Diallo be playing before November ? will we start to buy players in Jan to be ready for pre-season ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2020 at 13:51, SuperSAINT said:

 

 

has he been ill? I don't see any other reason why he wouldn't have got back to full fitness by now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chez said:

has he been ill? I don't see any other reason why he wouldn't have got back to full fitness by now. 

He has been in training for weeks, as shown by appearing in multiple training photo galleries and videos. What takes time is getting used to a new system, it is a risk to drop a new centre back straight into a team. Less risky with wingers/strikers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He has been in training for weeks, as shown by appearing in multiple training photo galleries and videos. What takes time is getting used to a new system, it is a risk to drop a new centre back straight into a team. Less risky with wingers/strikers.

Ruben Dias didn't do to badly yesterday. And Gabriel Magalhaes has settled straight in.

Llorente (Leeds new CB) straight onto the bench. 

We've obviously signed Salisu with an injury, which kind of explains LeGod's comments a few weeks back. (We may be forced back into the market for another etc)

Why our club is so secretive though is beyond me, absolutely does my head in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I said when we got him that it would be mid October probably after the break. He's had some injury issues which is why we got him for the price we did but it isn't as bad as was initially feared. It takes a while to get up to speed with things. 

Edited by hypochondriac
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I said when we got him that it would be mid October probably after the break. He's had some injury issues which is why we got him for the price we did but it isn't as bad as was initially feared. It takes a while to get up to speed with things. 

I thought we got him for the price we did as that was his release clause.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I thought we got him for the price we did as that was his release clause.

TBF you may be right. The fact he came to us though and not a higher profile club is due to the aforementioned issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I said when we got him that it would be mid October probably after the break. He's had some injury issues which is why we got him for the price we did but it isn't as bad as was initially feared. It takes a while to get up to speed with things. 

He wasn’t  picked for the internationals as was told that he wouldn’t be ready until the timescales you mention. I’m more than happy to give him the time esp as he is not the most experienced of CB’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He has been in training for weeks, as shown by appearing in multiple training photo galleries and videos. What takes time is getting used to a new system, it is a risk to drop a new centre back straight into a team. Less risky with wingers/strikers.

he's been training for weeks? I didn't know that. How long does it take a CB to learn the `system'? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

TBF you may be right. The fact he came to us though and not a higher profile club is due to the aforementioned issues. 

or that higher profile clubs didn't rate him as much as we do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chez said:

he's been training for weeks? I didn't know that. How long does it take a CB to learn the `system'? 

Seemingly Quite a while as none of our current ones have worked it out yet.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Seemingly Quite a while as none of our current ones have worked it out yet.

Very good.

VVD played 11 days after we signed him. Was he just a quick learner?

Good players are selected whether they have the intricacies of a system down or not.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu

Bizarre that not in the bench at least today. Something not right - Forren Mk2? But has faced Messi, Dracula, Hazard and co last season. This is getting like Clyne not playing for Liverpool which was also mysterious. Media - do your job and start asking SFC some searching and persistent Qs. With a poverty owner, spending £11m on someone who can’t get past Bednarek today wasn’t a good use of funds at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralph said yesterday that he's 1-2 weeks away from playing. It was linked on here somewhere.

Clyne disappearing for Liverpool isn't mysterious, I thought was pretty common knowledge why he wasn't playing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Ralph said yesterday that he's 1-2 weeks away from playing. 

Ralph also said a while back that Salisu would be available after the first international break (ok, so that could have meant weeks/months after said break, but the implication was that he would be in contention by now)

Edited by trousers
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})