• Hat trick
    • Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

38 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Still not seen much evidence that Salisu is particularly quick, but he's certainly a unit and a half. Been a while since we've had two centre backs in the squad who can, theoretically, physically dominate.

Yes, it's difficult to tell from Youtube, but he certainly doesn't look Bednarek or Vestergaard slow which would definitely be an upgrade. Plus like you say, having two physically imposing centre halves will be interesting to see - hopefully it will work well against certain teams. 

I'm also looking forward to seeing Diallo in midfield, for the past 3-4 years we seem to have had a series of one paced (and Romeu's one pace is extremely slow) midfielders. Again, difficult to fully judge from Youtube, but he certainly looks nippier than our current stock and may help some of our recent difficulties, particularly at home of being caught on the break. I can dream.

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

Yes, it's difficult to tell from Youtube, but he certainly doesn't look Bednarek or Vestergaard slow which would definitely be an upgrade. Plus like you say, having two physically imposing centre halves will be interesting to see - hopefully it will work well against certain teams. 

I'm also looking forward to seeing Diallo in midfield, for the past 3-4 years we seem to have had a series of one paced (and Romeu's one pace is extremely slow) midfielders. Again, difficult to fully judge from Youtube, but he certainly looks nippier than our current stock and may help some of our recent difficulties, particularly at home of being caught on the break. I can dream.

Salisu looks pretty slow off the blocks, but like he might be able to get up to a decent top speed over a sprint. Agree that Diallo looks more mobile than any midfield option we've had since Schneiderlin (okay, Lemina was pretty nimble, but he wasn't an option for long).

On 12/08/2020 at 18:25, Turkish said:

Salisu yeah yeah yeah

Salisu yeah yeah yeah

salisu yeah yeah yeah yeah

she loves you the Beatles.

also get him used to scousers for a couple of years time

Salisu yeah yeah yeah

salisu yeah yeah yeah

i said Salisu, did he train today?

i said Salish, will we ever see him play?

wooooooooooooo!!

salisu yeah yeah yeah

salisu yeah yeah yeah

salisu yeah yeah yeah yeah 

Edited by Turkish

Yellow sub:

In the town where I was born

lived a man who sailed to sea

And he told us of his dream

To play defence for saints fc

We’re all here for Mohammed Salisu, Mohammed Salisu, Mohammed Salisu

We’re all here for Mohammed Salisu, Mohammed Salisu, Mohammed Salisu 

Edited by Manuel
  • Like 2

On the Beatles theme:

Saints signed Salisu

Or should I say that’s what they say

He was on Youtube

Looking quite good, Ghanian hardwood

He told Saints he’d stay

And mentioned he’d play anywhere

So Ralph looked around

And placed him in a Vestergaard pair

Bin-dippers consider Saints mugs, biding their time

Preparing to whine

An inch on six two, for now Mo is a Saint

Hates Pompey scum as much as you…

Etc.

3 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

You two need 'Help, like 'Yesterday'.

Yesterday. We were excited to see Salisu play

now it looks as though he's gone astray

Oh i believe in yesterday

Suddenly - there 's pictures of of him training to see

laughing, stood next to Obefemi

Why cant he play, i dont know Ralph wouldnt say

is there something wrong?  now i long for yesterday hey hey

Yesterday, centre back was an easy position to play

now it looks as though Stephens is there to stay

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

From Tom Leach, Hampshire Live reporter who was asking questions at the press conference today...

Screenshot_20201023-150500.png

So we signed a crock then which, as he’s highly rated, explains why we got him as opposed to some more illustrious teams.

Hope expectation isn’t too high for the lad.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s more a settling in type situation. Reading past history there has been a time he left for personal reasons and Valladolid states when he joined them he was really shy, to the extent they were thinking twice about sending him back to previous club. Maybe saints feel they will only get best performances once he feels comfortable here. 

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s more a settling in type situation. Reading past history there has been a time he left for personal reasons and Valladolid states when he joined them he was really shy, to the extent they were thinking twice about sending him back to previous club. 

My hunch is that this is more likely than a more run-of-the-mill injury issue. There's no news reports on ye olde internet to suggest he's either injury prone or that there's anything serious about the muscle injury he picked up in July before he joined us. And, of course, there's always the possibility he caught the Coronavirus and is suffering longer term issues with that (the so called 'long covid'). 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

This lengthy interview with Fran Castano (the chap who discovered Salisu in Ghana and knows him inside out) makes no mention of any issues that he thought Salisu would suffer from in transitioning to the Premier League. Yes, he talks about him being "very shy" but that's about it.... https://www.polishnews.co.uk/mohammed-salisu-to-southampton-fast-rise-from-ghanas-grime-pitches-soccer-information/

You'd have thought if Salisu had 'long term issues' then this would have come to light before or by now.

(Not that I'm spending far too much time pondering on the mysteries behind this transfer of course :) )

Edited by trousers

Personally, I think if it was Covid, they would have said. Quite a few footballers and other sports people have gone public about it (our own Stuart Armstrong) and as serious as Covid is, it's no big deal to be up front about it. If it was an injury, again why the secrecy - just come out and say it. His whole signing wasn't reported in the normal fashion and seems to have been clouded in mystery since. If it was an injury or even Covid I think they would have still announced his signing as per KWP. Theo and Dialli. A press embargo has been mentioned above. If it was an injury or Covid I can't see that being the case.

Shy? Homesick? Didn't want to move in the first place and got "pushed" into it by his previous club and/or agent who saw lots of £ signs? Saints haven't stumped up the money for him yet? Work permit issues? Just a few thoughts.

31 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Personally, I think if it was Covid, they would have said. Quite a few footballers and other sports people have gone public about it (our own Stuart Armstrong) and as serious as Covid is, it's no big deal to be up front about it. If it was an injury, again why the secrecy - just come out and say it. His whole signing wasn't reported in the normal fashion and seems to have been clouded in mystery since. If it was an injury or even Covid I think they would have still announced his signing as per KWP. Theo and Dialli. A press embargo has been mentioned above. If it was an injury or Covid I can't see that being the case.

Shy? Homesick? Didn't want to move in the first place and got "pushed" into it by his previous club and/or agent who saw lots of £ signs? Saints haven't stumped up the money for him yet? Work permit issues? Just a few thoughts.

I don't think it's injury or covid either. LeG said something like "it's not a good time to be Salisu right now". The press embargo is curious, as is the secrecy when he signed. It's all very odd but it's hard to think of anything other than legal reasons for the press to know what's going on but be under an embargo. 

Could it be some sort of serious bowel disorder like Darren Fletcher had? It's a bit embarrassing to talk about publicly, hence the secrecy, and can be really quite uncomfortable ("not a good time to be Salisu"), but ultimately he should be able to get it under control by following a strict lifestyle ("we gave him all the time he needed to solve these issues").

Or of course i could be way off!

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

Where does he sit in a league of modern day saints centre backs? 

Similar to the £4M we splashed out on Forren? 

I think for now we shouldn't worry about it, let him play a few games for u23s when ready. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu - Official: Signs for Monaco