Saints in the England Squad

Paulwantsapint81

JWP and Ings both in the squad again for the next international break.

England play Wales in a friendly on 8 October, before Nations League fixtures against Belgium and Denmark on 11 and 14 October respectively, with all three games being played at Wembley Stadium.

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Dean Henderson (Manchester United)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Harvey Barnes (Leicester), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Danny Ings (Southampton), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Maybe Ings will actually get a game this time.

It's a seriously weak midfield there. Mount is really nothing special, nor is Winks. Grealish is a complete tool who everyone seems to think is the answer to England's problems, yet James Maddison gets left out. Forget Foden and Greenwood doing whatever they did in Iceland and just bring them back in, nobody cares.

Tammy Abraham has done nothing for ages and Rashford has always been inconsistent for Man United.

Other than that really good 😆

Neither will play any significant part ,hope im wrong but Calvert lewis is now ahead of Ings and Grealish and Barkley look like they will form 2 in midfield,

no need for 2 holding midfielders in Rice and Dier one or the other along with maybe Mount or Maddison.

16 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

no need for 2 holding midfielders in Rice and Dier one or the other along with maybe Mount or Maddison.

Didn't stop Gareth last time! Expecting a fairly progressive team for the Wales game and then revert to a back 8 with Sterling, Kane and Sancho in the NL games.

Doubt Ings and JWP will get much game time here. If the former couldn't get there when he was the highest English scorer in the league, no reason to think he will now. Southgate will go with Calvert-Lewin as flavour of the month and Kane. JWP won't get in ahead of Henderson, Grealish, Rice or Mount/Winks even though that last pair are no great shakes. IMHO

As tonight is a friendly I don't think there is any limit on the number of substitutes we can use? On that basis quite possible both Ings and Ward-Prowse will get some minutes and add to their tally of England caps. At least they are both off the one cap wonder list. 

20 minutes ago, JRM said:

As tonight is a friendly I don't think there is any limit on the number of substitutes we can use? On that basis quite possible both Ings and Ward-Prowse will get some minutes and add to their tally of England caps. At least they are both off the one cap wonder list. 

I believe for International friendlies there was a limit of 6 due implemented some time ago. This came about after Sven Goran Erikson pushed the boundary by subbing 11 players for England v Australia (don't think it helped much as I think we lost) "Honest" Sepp Blatter got the arse at this and as Sven had been slowly creeping up the changes in friendlies, a whole team rotation was seen to be damaging to the product, I think Fifa get a cut of the gate revenue and England games did become farcical as the second half wore on while Sven was tinkering.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Doubt Ings and JWP will get much game time here. If the former couldn't get there when he was the highest English scorer in the league, no reason to think he will now. Southgate will go with Calvert-Lewin as flavour of the month and Kane. JWP won't get in ahead of Henderson, Grealish, Rice or Mount/Winks even though that last pair are no great shakes. IMHO

I doubt England will play many regulars tonight as its a friendly and 3 games in 7 days, so think every chance that both Ings and JWP will get significant game time tonight, with regulars returning for Belgium game on Sunday

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8819343/Jack-Grealish-set-START-England-Dominic-Calvert-Lewin-Danny-Ings-new-look-attack.html

Looks like he'll be starting alongside Grealish and DCL...will be nice to see some players who are actually in form, rather than Kane.

Kane has 6 assists and 3 goals in 4 premier league games. This increases to 8 goals in 8 games when all his games are considered this season.

Edited by Saint86

Bit of a mixed bag first half for Ings. Apart from his splendid through ball to CL he's been chasing shadows somewhat and playing a few loose balls.  Tenacious as ever though. Not helped by another static England midfield either.

Edited by trousers

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

With the exception of Trippier V Croatia, that's the most mental I've gone at an England goal. I miss that man.

Always said those who said RL lacked pace should watch his celebration run after scoring against Scotland, he out paced a desperate Oxlade Chamberlain led group of players chasing him by miles 🙂

• Like 1

Very good performance from Danny Ings topped off with a great goal. Also a decent cameo from JWP who was very neat and tidy and played some good crisp passes to get England on the attack. Excellent night for our two lads. Some real dross in this England squad though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DT said:

Shows what I bloody know

Kane looked to be back to his best against Man U last week, but it seems Gareth Southgate has now got a number of options up front in Sterling, Calvert-Lewin, our own Danny Ings,  Grealish (he still falls over too much for my liking), Rashford and Greenwood. 

It's been mentioned above, but I thought JWP looked very assured when he came on - nice shot at the end too. Well played by the Saints lads, they did us proud.  

I think Coady looks a better option than Harry McGuire at the back at the moment. McGuire looks to be worth considerably less than the £80m United spent on him based on his season so far. And with Chilwell out, it would have been nice for Bertie to get a call up, but he doesn't seem to be on Southgate's radar at all.

(Great pictue of Danny Ings above by the way - thanks for posting that.trousers).

Only one other point - does anyone else think Ben Davies (Wales) is morphing into Tony Adams. He's the spitting image of a younger version.

Edited by Saint Keef

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

it would have been nice for Bertie to get a call up, but he doesn't seem to be on Southgate's radar at all.

Wrong side of 30 and England will never pick older fringe players even if on form so will never be back in there I'm guessing.

Edited by skintsaint

Ings played well , took his goal well, pleased for him to get that recognition and can see he was buzzing, commentators trying to make it all about Calvert Lewin and Grealish though. 

Ward-Prowse looked steady when he came on and nearly got a goal, 4 full England caps for him now, a proper international player. With two more games this week and three more in November it provides a good chance to add to that tally. 

Ings has a got a lot competition, that goal will have done him a world of good, especially as I'd imagine he was probably a bit frustrated first half playing from the right rather than through the middle but he still worked very hard and showed some nice touches. Looked a lot better through the middle though. He'll struggle to dislodge Kane though who is looking to be back to his best and you'd probably think the athleticism of Calvert-Lewin might put him in prime position to be his back up, with Sancho and Sterling playing off him. 

But JWP has good chance I think of establishing himself in that midfield because I think the competition there is not great. Winks didn't look much cop and Phillips looks similar to Henderson. 

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Despite all the criticism he gets, the £20m obligation to buy loan deal for Ings was a masterstroke from Reed, even if it didn’t seem so at the time.

Apparently Ings has dedicated the goal to Les, to thank him for the faith he showed in him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Kane looked to be back to his best against Man U last week, but it seems Gareth Southgate has now got a number of options up front in Sterling, Calvert-Lewin, our own Danny Ings,  Grealish (he still falls over too much for my liking), Rashford and Greenwood. 

He spends a lot of his time looking for fouls. He hangs onto the ball too long when a pass would keep our game moving in the hope of drawing in an opponent and then puts himself in a position where he’s going to get fouled.

A great cross for our first goal though.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints in the England Squad