Saints in the England Squad

Paulwantsapint81

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He spends a lot of his time looking for fouls. He hangs onto the ball too long when a pass would keep our game moving in the hope of drawing in an opponent and then puts himself in a position where he’s going to get fouled.

A great cross for our first goal though.

He does do that, but then i guess he's been so much better than the players around him at Villa that maybe that's his instinct. I really enjoy watching him, classy player who seems to have so much time on the ball. 

On 07/10/2020 at 17:19, Roo1976 said:

Neither will play any significant part ,hope im wrong but Calvert lewis is now ahead of Ings and Grealish and Barkley look like they will form 2 in midfield,

no need for 2 holding midfielders in Rice and Dier one or the other along with maybe Mount or Maddison.

i was a bit wrong with Ings but wasnt everyone with the starting line up?.....pleased they both played and Ings in particular did enough to keep his squad place barring injuries.

Agree with previous comments, Grealish is a fantastic footballer. Not very ‘English’ in style, very elegant, ball sticks to his feet and the game seems to just slow down for him. Love watching him, hope we don’t waste him. Delighted for Ings, great goal within 4 minutes of not being shoved out wide. Prowsey looked good too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

He does do that, but then i guess he's been so much better than the players around him at Villa that maybe that's his instinct. I really enjoy watching him, classy player who seems to have so much time on the ball. 

exactly, some people not rating him as beyond me, we need more players like that in our team. All very well have the industry of players like henderson and prowse, the hod carriers, but we need the bricklayers too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Grealish is exactly what we need in the England attacking midfield area, very good player when he stays on his feet. Feel dirty saying it but I quite rate Mount too.

Talking about Grealish, is there really no rule about having to wear shin pads? He never wears them and I think it's just crazy. 

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Talking about Grealish, is there really no rule about having to wear shin pads? He never wears them and I think it's just crazy. 

Bizarrely they kept making comments about the size of his calves on the commentary, maybe that’s the issue regarding his socks, anyway it’s not the rough and ready days of Norman Hunter agricultural tackling in footie any more.

21 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Same thought has crossed my mind. Would surprise me if such things aren't regulated...

Edited by trousers

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Bizarrely they kept making comments about the size of his calves on the commentary, maybe that’s the issue regarding his socks, anyway it’s not the rough and ready days of Norman Hunter agricultural tackling in footie any more.

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

55 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Bit of an obsession developing for you there John? 😍

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Apparently he does wear shin pads, but they are kid size. It is compulsory to wear them but there is nothing to say what size they must be. One day he will get kicked and crocked.

https://www.90min.com/posts/4380823-the-mystery-of-aston-villa-star-jack-grealish-s-missing-shinpads-explained

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Apparently he does wear shin pads, but they are kid size. It is compulsory to wear them but there is nothing to say what size they must be. One day he will get kicked and crocked.

https://www.90min.com/posts/4380823-the-mystery-of-aston-villa-star-jack-grealish-s-missing-shinpads-explained

Law 4 just says: 

• shinguards – these must be made of a suitable material to provide reasonable protection and covered by the socks

18 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Law 4 just says: 

• shinguards – these must be made of a suitable material to provide reasonable protection and covered by the socks

Wonder how Brian O'Neill would have managed with that. He would have needed an exemption clause.

16 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

What’s going on with the ings new contract deal.. thought we were in talks ?

really need to get this tied up as it would kill his value if not signing

I have a feeling he won’t sign a new one and next summer we will lose him for circa 25million if he has a decent season.

As for Grealish I think we need to build a team round his talent although but only if he can be persuaded to play for the benefit of the team. He definitely holds on to the ball too much which inclines me to think he is is about himself and not the team. Who knows how he will develop but at 25 I would suggest what you see is what you get. 

9 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

I have a feeling he won’t sign a new one and next summer we will lose him for circa 25million if he has a decent season.

As for Grealish I think we need to build a team round his talent although but only if he can be persuaded to play for the benefit of the team. He definitely holds on to the ball too much which inclines me to think he is is about himself and not the team. Who knows how he will develop but at 25 I would suggest what you see is what you get. 

Ingsy has most likely got one good payday left with a transfer, we’ll probably have to break the bank to keep hold of him.

Agree about Grealish, you can see he models himself on Beckham, should become an England regular on this form.

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

Not sure where all the doom and gloom is coming from - just the national mood with everything that's going on??

Ings will sign a new contract -slightly better terms, not massive and will end his playing days with us. He loves it here - earns a decent amount and is our star/main man - he's not about to risk that.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Red said:

Not sure where all the doom and gloom is coming from - just the national mood with everything that's going on??

Ings will sign a new contract -slightly better terms, not massive and will end his playing days with us. He loves it here - earns a decent amount and is our star/main man - he's not about to risk that.

Basing this on anything or just starry eyed sentimentalism?

21 hours ago, Red said:

*Updates ITK watch list*

On 12/10/2020 at 13:47, wild-saint said:

Probably makes financial sense to give him decent wage increase really..

as him not signing could cost us 40m plus on his next move 

Grealish brings something different to the England team, but its so frustrating seeing him go down every time he is touched as it just slows the pace of the attack down.  It's not necessarily his fault he gets foulted so much but I think the team would benefit if he moved the ball on quickly more often.  He can play a dangerous pass so it's not about ability.  When we are under pressure it's fine to draw a foul to give us time to regroup, but it must be so frustrating for the team when players are making runs and the attack is repeatedly being stopped.

• Like 1

No Ings or JWP in the starting line up. Such a boring starting XI, it's definitely like GS is trying not to lose than trying to actually win games. James over TAA? No Grealish? AMN over the left footed Saka? I'm still unsure of Southgate as manager. Makes some odd decisions. Still as long as he keeps getting results, we keep him as manager.

England

• 1Pickford
  • 4Walker
  • 5Coady
  • 6Maguire
  • 2James
  • 8Phillips
  • 7Rice
  • 3Maitland-Niles
  • 10Mount
  • 11Rashford
  • 9Kane

Substitutes

• 12Mings
  • 13Pope
  • 14Henderson
  • 15Saka
  • 16Alexander-Arnold
  • 17Gomez
  • 18Ward-Prowse
  • 19Grealish
  • 20Ings
  • 21Sancho
  • 22Henderson
  • 23Calvert-Lewin

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Devil's advocate...

child devil GIF

They just beat the number 1 ranked team in the world! 😉

Hence the last line of my post. 🙂 Even teams playing not to get beat sometimes score enough to win. I did however enjoy the friendly last week.

10 hours ago, Alanh said:

Grealish brings something different to the England team, but its so frustrating seeing him go down every time he is touched as it just slows the pace of the attack down.  It's not necessarily his fault he gets foulted so much but I think the team would benefit if he moved the ball on quickly more often.  He can play a dangerous pass so it's not about ability.  When we are under pressure it's fine to draw a foul to give us time to regroup, but it must be so frustrating for the team when players are making runs and the attack is repeatedly being stopped.

Totally agree. The falling over thing is just too much. He did it for 90 minutes at St Mary's last year, but each time, the ref gave a free kick. It the refs got wise to him and didn't "buy" the fall every time, he would stop doing it. Something else I've noticed. Other Villa players have started doing it, possibly to a lesser degree, but still going over way too easy......a couple of them have also copied his weird hairstyle. He's obviously has quite an influence on the Villa camp. 

As two of the most industrious / tenacious players on the bench, one would expect to see Ings and JWP come on fairly early in the second half as the 10 men start to tire / fade...?

#notbiasedintheslightest

Edited by trousers

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints in the England Squad