Jump to content

Other Games - 2020/2021


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, FairWeather said:

VVV Venlo losing 0-12 at home to Ajax (only in 82nd minute too)

Ha! We've been eclipsed.

And Tadic managed one of them.  

Some 19 year old Lassina Traoré managed 5 and usually plays for their youth team in the Eerste Divisie.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

Am I missing something on this PPV thing. Aren't they matches which otherwise probably wouldnt be shown? If so, you're no worse off. You can choose to pay £15 to watch it if you want, but you wouldn't have been able to watch it as part of your normal Sky?BT package anyway.

Exactly. 
 

For less than the price of a match ticket, you get to watch your team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 
 

For less than the price of a match ticket, you get to watch your team. 

Only if you have a BT/Sky sub (which I don’t) . I would be happy to pay the £15, but not if I also have to have a subscription that I won’t use for much else in the way of viewing. I have used the Now TV Sky Sports day pass to watch Saints many times and that works best for me (shame on BT for not offering something similar) and I suspect others feel the same as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 
 

For less than the price of a match ticket, you get to watch your team. 

Yes and no. I've never previously subscribed to Sky or BT but took out monthly Now TV and BT's equivalent at the end of last season so I could watch Saints. I've carried on with them this season and justified it by using the refund from my ST. Now, to be sure of being able to watch Saints, I still have to keep those subscriptions but know that not all games will be included. If all Saints games were PPV it would be fine. If all Saints games were included in the subscriptions that would also be fine. It's the split between the two that's the killer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, itchen said:

Yes and no. I've never previously subscribed to Sky or BT but took out monthly Now TV and BT's equivalent at the end of last season so I could watch Saints. I've carried on with them this season and justified it by using the refund from my ST. Now, to be sure of being able to watch Saints, I still have to keep those subscriptions but know that not all games will be included. If all Saints games were PPV it would be fine. If all Saints games were included in the subscriptions that would also be fine. It's the split between the two that's the killer. 

I completely get that some fans might buy a TV subscription with the savings from their season ticket.

But did you assume you’d get every Saints match included in the basic subscription package? I didn’t - even though, of course, we got every Project Restart game for “free”.

As it is, we are getting far more football matches in general included in the package than for a typical season. If you want to “collect the set” you can do so for additional payments - not an option we’ve had before.

Obviously, most of us would rather be watching the matches in stadia. But it’s hardly the fault of Sky/BT that we can’t and they’re providing the best - and best value - package of broadcast matches ever.

Sure, we’d all like everything to be cheaper/free, but the TV deal is great value IMHO. As I’m in Tier 2 and there’s pretty much sod all else to do at the moment, I’m glad I can pay to watch so much extra football. I’ll probably shell out the extra £15 to watch Arsenal v Leicester this evening if nothing else on the tele catches my eye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

The point is that teams that normally get shown on sky are paying far less to watch the same number of games for the exact same product.

Yes, it’s a replacement for games that wouldn’t normally be shown, but going to games to watch them literally isn’t an option at the moment.

Sky are taking advantage of a monopoly gifted to them by a global pandemic to charge far more than they would for any other game, prices comparable to going to the games themselves, and it fans of the less fashionable clubs that are being disproportionately affected.

Exactly this. Eloquently argued.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

The point is that teams that normally get shown on sky are paying far less to watch the same number of games for the exact same product.

Yes, it’s a replacement for games that wouldn’t normally be shown, but going to games to watch them literally isn’t an option at the moment.

Sky are taking advantage of a monopoly gifted to them by a global pandemic to charge far more than they would for any other game, prices comparable to going to the games themselves, and it fans of the less fashionable clubs that are being disproportionately affected.

They aren't.

Sky and BT don't profit from the PPV games apart from advert break money which they'd get regardless of the cost of the game. The £15 from the PPV games goes to the Premier League to be split among clubs (minus TV production cost).

Edited by Matthew Le God
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

They aren't.

Sky and BT don't profit from the PPV games apart from advert breaks. The £15 from the PPV games goes to the Premier League to be split among clubs (minus TV production cost).

Correct.

 

And a Sky source told The Mirror: 'Sky is not happy to be involved in showing the pay-per-view games. We never thought it was a good idea and nothing's changed since it started. 

'It is damaging the reputation of Sky Sports to be linked to this scheme – and that feeling is shared at BT. Everyone here would prefer for it to stop.' 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

The point is that teams that normally get shown on sky are paying far less to watch the same number of games for the exact same product.

Yes, it’s a replacement for games that wouldn’t normally be shown, but going to games to watch them literally isn’t an option at the moment.

Sky are taking advantage of a monopoly gifted to them by a global pandemic to charge far more than they would for any other game, prices comparable to going to the games themselves, and it fans of the less fashionable clubs that are being disproportionately affected.

The price is hardly the same as going to the game itself. Sure, the experience isn't as good, but it's way cheaper. About half price even if you're the only viewer. £7.50 per head in my household.

For a family of four you're looking at £15 rather than around £150, depending on travel costs, higher food drink/costs etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Correct.

 

And a Sky source told The Mirror: 'Sky is not happy to be involved in showing the pay-per-view games. We never thought it was a good idea and nothing's changed since it started. 

'It is damaging the reputation of Sky Sports to be linked to this scheme – and that feeling is shared at BT. Everyone here would prefer for it to stop.' 

I thought they [Sky and BT] were the ones getting pissed off that games were being given away for free because it reduced the value of the games they originally scheduled or something like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Nice free kick by Murphy of Newcastle, that helps us if it stays all square.

Bugger (got two wolves defenders in my FF team, which is obviously far more important than the impact on Saints :) )

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Bugger (got two wolves defenders in my FF team, which is obviously far more important than the impact on Saints :) )

My FPL is a mess this week. 24 pts so far. Bamford stranded on the bench. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

My FPL is a mess this week. 24 pts so far. Bamford stranded on the bench. 

I transferred him out this week! Ffs And Jota, who scored for Liverpool. Chilwell is my highest scoring player with six. Bad week. Unless Kane does something miraculous.

 

West Ham continue to surprise me this season. Their fixtures looked so tough but they’ve done very well so far. Whether they can be as good through the “easier” games remains to be seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fucking hell. Kieron Dyer is living up to his name, dire punditry. Wonder how he got the gig ? 

It is black history month.

There was about 20 minutes dedicated to it before in the build up to our game vs Everton on sky.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nta786 said:

It is black history month.

There was about 20 minutes dedicated to it before in the build up to our game vs Everton on sky.

 

Oh FFS. Can we stop imitating the fücking americans. We are not the 51st state.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nta786 said:

It is black history month.

There was about 20 minutes dedicated to it before in the build up to our game vs Everton on sky.

 

But before that there was 10 mins dedicated to Calvert- Lewin and we were the home team!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Early days I know but you’d expect Wins for Brighton and spurs tonight which would mean the bottom 4 are already 5 points adrift of 16th. If their starts are anything to go by then it could be a long season for them. 
 

as for the top half the conspiracy theorist in me says that with all the premier league being interested in are viewing figures and profits with only one of last season top four currently in the top six will we start to see a few favourable decisions going in the big clubs favour over the coming weeks to help them back to their rightful place? After all it came from then chairman of the premier leagues mouth a few years ago that Man United not being in the champions league is bad for premier league business.

Link to post
Share on other sites

what has happened to all the goals and crazy scores? Load of very dull games now.

Has anyone published any PPV ratings? Can’t believe neutrals are paying for these borefests. 
530pm on Monday is a weird time for a game yet now seems regular slot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, whelk said:

what has happened to all the goals and crazy scores? Load of very dull games now.

Has anyone published any PPV ratings? Can’t believe neutrals are paying for these borefests. 
530pm on Monday is a weird time for a game yet now seems regular slot.

The PPV stats are prob rubbish. Apparently BT and Sky are against the idea of PPV, but I find that incredibly hard to believe seeing as it's their platforms showing it. If they were that against it then they could have just told the PL to stream it on their website behind a paywall.

Like you said, no neutral is going to pay 15 quid to watch Brighton v West Brom. Just like no one is going to pay 15 quid to watch Villa v Us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, whelk said:

Brilliant VAR again. Ignoring that thug Barnes elbow on Toby A. These cunts can’t run anything properly and just back their mates

The inconsistency is awful. Almost as bad as the Burnley Spurs game itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm in deluded 'counting chickens' territory way before they've hatched, but has anyone seen a team so far this season that we shouldn't be confident about getting a positive result against?

Edit: cue Spurs goal 

Edited by trousers
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The PPV stats are prob rubbish. Apparently BT and Sky are against the idea of PPV, but I find that incredibly hard to believe seeing as it's their platforms showing it. If they were that against it then they could have just told the PL to stream it on their website behind a paywall.

Like you said, no neutral is going to pay 15 quid to watch Brighton v West Brom. Just like no one is going to pay 15 quid to watch Villa v Us.

I’ve been a defender of PPV. But gees, if this Burnley v Spurs game had cost me £15, I’d be suing to get my cash back.

Would be interesting to know the take up rate - maybe 20,000 or so payers? Wild guess there...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Burnley look absolutely dreadful. Their only tactic is to try and drag their opponents down to their level, and then hope for corners and crosses.

Teams like that haven't got any place in this league. Need shot of them.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The bottom four look truly ropey - disregarding the matches they’ve played against each other, their combined record against the other 16 teams is:

P 19 W 0 D 2 L 17 GD -29 

Points per game - 0.105

Maybe Derby’s all time low points record of 11 is under serious threat this season?

Edited by SaintBobby
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

The bottom four look truly ropey - disregarding the matches they’ve played against each other, their combined record against the other 16 teams is:

P 19 W 0 D 2 L 17 GD -29 

Points per game - 0.105

Maybe Derby’s all time low points record of 11 is under serious threat this season?

Strange to think that we're already nine points clear of the bottom three.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Burnley look absolutely dreadful. Their only tactic is to try and drag their opponents down to their level, and then hope for corners and crosses.

Teams like that haven't got any place in this league. Need shot of them.

Absolutely bang on. They are the pub team of the Premier League 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So that’s “the media” now is it, Saggy face. Every pundit I’ve heard or read has gone out of their way to state Spurs can’t win it, including Sky last night.

MLG Mode

They *can" win it, but they probably won't 

 

Edited by trousers
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So that’s “the media” now is it, Saggy face. Every pundit I’ve heard or read has gone out of their way to state Spurs can’t win it, including Sky last night.

BBC were asking Kane after the Burnley game if this is their season, Kane said the cliché "take it one game at a time". So not just Saggy Chops.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting fact reported by the BBC from tonight's Arsenal Vs Dundalk match - 

"Dundalk made a bit of history as the first team in the 10 years of the Europa League not to commit a single foul in a game."

Must be quite a rare event.  Didn't help them much though - they still lost 3-0

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})