Ibrahima Diallo - Official: Signs for Al Duhail

TWar

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

I know it was only a cameo appearance but any signs of promise from Diallo today? (I was out and about most of today so didn't catch any of the game)

Completely impossible to say, I think he touched the ball once from memory. Was good to see him involved so soon though.

• Like 1

Very little time to make an impact but looked lively and his defensive shaped looked reasonable.

The real positive is seeing him getting minutes to start settling in to the side. Considering how hamstrung we are early signs point to a decent transfer window for us.

On the field for only a very short time but still managed to be in the right place to steal the ball from Chelsea and it was then worked to Bertrand who was fouled for the free kick leading to our late equaliser.  A huge impact in such a short space of time and whilst we cannot view this as proof that we have a potential star in the making it is certainly encouraging.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He looked excellent today. Easy I know when 3-0 up against the bottom team but he really a looks to have something about him 

Agreed - every cameo appearance he has looked to have quite a bit of skill about him.  How great is it that he looks a really positive signing but cannot get in the 1st team because of how well Oriol and JWP are playing?

For the first time in a very, very long time we now seem to have good competition for all positions (perhaps with the exception of RB and LB) and young players that, while not regular starters just now, have the hunger and talent as backup.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

He looked excellent today. Easy I know when 3-0 up against the bottom team but he really a looks to have something about him 

Yep. There was one lovely passage of play when he showed a turn of pace, came forward with the ball and played a lovely pass forward. He's a player. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, egg said:

Yep. There was one lovely passage of play when he showed a turn of pace, came forward with the ball and played a lovely pass forward. He's a player. 

I clearly wasn't paying proper attention as I didn't see the substitution made when he came on, but think you're describing the move that caught my attention. Actually rewound to check who it was.

Good addition to the squad  and looks like he could have a great future ahead of him, hopefully it'll be with us (although how he'll dislodge either JWP or OR on current form apart from injuries/suspension I've no idea)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I clearly wasn't paying proper attention as I didn't see the substitution made when he came on, but think you're describing the move that caught my attention. Actually rewound to check who it was.

Good addition to the squad  and looks like he could have a great future ahead of him, hopefully it'll be with us (although how he'll dislodge either JWP or OR on current form apart from injuries/suspension I've no idea)

He slotted in seamlessly and didn’t seem out of place in any way. He looks promising. Maybe a full run out against Shrewsbury?

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Don't want to waste a good opportunity for a cup run though.

Shrewsbury are near the bottom of league one, a home cup tie against this sort of opposition is the perfect opportunity to see what the likes of N'Lundulu, Tella, Ferry etc can do.  

A team of Forster, Valery, Salisu, Stephens, Vokins, Diallo, Slattery, Djenepo, Redmond, Nlundulu and Long/Obafemi ought to be plenty good enough to see off a poor League One team. It's not like they are all shrinking violets or kids - half of them are full internationals.

19 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Would like to see a full second XI against Shrewsbury, Salisu debut hopefully, but also others like N'Lundulu and Valery.

TBF - even a second string at the moment could contain...

Forster; Valery Stephens Salisu Vokins; Diallo Smallbone; Redmond N'Lundulu Tella Djenepo

And that ignores Long, Obafemi, Slattery, Ramsay, Ferry, Jankewitz and our "normal lot".

As mentioned i’d like to see a mix of new guys and first team. Salisu, Diallo definitely to start, then ideally N’Lundulu and Tella too as they seem to be regulars on the bench. But I wouldn’t want a whole second choice 11 as we’ve got a really good opportunity to win this cup. 

26 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Forster; Valery Stephens Salisu Vokins; Diallo Smallbone; Redmond N'Lundulu Tella Djenepo

And that ignores Long, Obafemi, Slattery, Ramsay, Ferry, Jankewitz and our "normal lot".

Blimey, that's pretty strong. Isn't Jankewitz very highly rated too?

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Shrewsbury are near the bottom of league one, a home cup tie against this sort of opposition is the perfect opportunity to see what the likes of N'Lundulu, Tella, Ferry etc can do.  

Absolutely, but swapping the entire team out? Not sure about that. 

On 15/12/2020 at 09:08, Saint Garrett said:

I would go with that team, apart from using Long and Obafemi instead of Redders and Djenepo. Play Long and Tella on the wings, N'Lundulu and Oba up top.

We need to see who impresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on his full debut? Thought he grew into the game well after a slow start, neat and tidy with an eye for a pass and interception. Not the strong physical presence of Romeu but looks to be a bit more mobile. Definitely a lot of potential 

• Like 2

Definitely took a while to get up to the pace of the game which is understandable. A mixed performance, a couple of sloppy passes and ill advised dribbles but also some neat tackles and runs. I like the way he drives forward which is going to be an asset to the team.

Overall looked promising and should prove to be a decent signing.

Yeah it was always going to be a big ask for him o come in today and shine, in his first PL start, on Boxing Day, against a resolute team playing primarily to avoid defeat. In the circumstances I think he did really well, coming in to replace one of our most effective players so far this season.

Having not seen the game, and based on the feedback above, I'm wondering if Diallo could fit into a slightly more advanced roll? Say, as an alternative option to Armstrong? Given he's not the same type of player as Romeu (i.e. a midfield 'enforcer'), and JWP never seems to get injured and/or need a rest (famous last words!), Diallo's opportunities are going to be very few and far between unless we can utilise him in Armstrong's position. It sounds like he's got a bit of quality about him, so would be a shame to see him on the bench for most of the season, which is likely if he's only ever going to replace Romeu or JWP.

(P.s. I know Ralph is unlikely to tweak the system or shoehorn a player into another position just to give 'player x' more game time)

Edited by trousers

I think it's a real positive that he's good on the ball so is cover for JWP as well as Romeu. I thought he was pretty good today, made a few mistakes but did a lot of good things, very promising. Clearly more of a subtle, thinking midfielder compared to the other two who are more all action.

11 hours ago, trousers said:

Having not seen the game, and based on the feedback above, I'm wondering if Diallo could fit into a slightly more advanced roll? Say, as an alternative option to Armstrong? Given he's not the same type of player as Romeu (i.e. a midfield 'enforcer'), and JWP never seems to get injured and/or need a rest (famous last words!), Diallo's opportunities are going to be very few and far between unless we can utilise him in Armstrong's position. It sounds like he's got a bit of quality about him, so would be a shame to see him on the bench for most of the season, which is likely if he's only ever going to replace Romeu or JWP.

(P.s. I know Ralph is unlikely to tweak the system or shoehorn a player into another position just to give 'player x' more game time)

I think on paper if you were to look at him and Romeu, Diallo fits our style a bit better than Romeu, however Romeu has just been playing soo well it’s impossible to drop him at the moment. 

I like Diallo though and think he’ll progress to be a top player for us. 

• Like 1

Absolutely excellent. Really good on the ball, albeit he didn't have it much, but most of his impressive work came in the way of his positional sense, closing down and off the ball activities.

Seems a very intelligent footballer positionally with genuine technical ability too. Bit of coaching and and development and he is going to be a superstar midfielder. I've only seen him a couple of times, but every time I've seen him he has impressed me (even the few min cameos)

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ibrahima Diallo - Official: Signs for Al Duhail