Sport Republic

Dusic

2 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Just curious and not that I'd want them but why are Newcastle a lot more appealing than us 

Larger fan base, more worldwide known...no other top flight club in the whole north east. Struggling a bit after that!

Who would you want Ashley in charge here rather than Gao? 

6 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Yep, and despite all of the guff on here about ‘Gao isn’t allowed to sell at a loss etc by the PRC authorities’ the fact is MSD has them both by the plumsack. He should have sold in the summer, he won’t get anywhere what he allegedly paid. See Derby now, see SFC in 12-18 months, there isn’t a Mel Morris spending money however appallingly it was spent at Derby. Derby have more debt because Morris ran it up at a rate of knots but SFC only has TV money plus shaky commercial income and falling gates because the home performances have been so abject.    

SFC is stuck in limbo, relegation gets rid of Gao but the Derby situation is worth watching to see how MSD behaves and what they do. That is worrying but they say they want to expand in the market so if they turn Derby around with a decent buyer it would help them achieve that rather than acting like an asset stripping low rent hedge fund. 

Derby's £15m MSD loan is secured against Pride Park apparently , https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58814150

Edited by East Kent Saint
link

7 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

So will Newcastle close down their womens team, will female supporters have to be accompanied by a guardian and go to separate half time bars.

Loads of money but I wouldn't want to be owned by those religious nutter cunts, behind half of the world problems.

If we're all being honest,when push comes to shove, we'd be OK with us being owned by anyone who'd help us compete. Sure, it might not sit right, but when you've got Ronaldo up front rather than Che Adams, Mahrez on the wing rather than Elyonoussi, Laporte at CB rather than Jack Stephens, I don't believe your average football fan is gonna boycott the club because of how Saudi Arabia practice Sharia Law. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

So will Newcastle close down their womens team, will female supporters have to be accompanied by a guardian and go to separate half time bars.

Loads of money but I wouldn't want to be owned by those religious nutter cunts, behind half of the world problems.

Unlike China and their impeccable record on human rights?

• Like 3

I think if the Saudis bought Saints I would just walk away and start supporting Bordeaux instead.

As others have said, a murderous regime with medieval laws and attitudes to women. 

The problem is that they have soooooo much money, that they will beat the EPL in any legal battle and construct some Panama papers style corporate ownership structure that no one can see who's bloodstained hand is really on the tiller .  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

If we're all being honest,when push comes to shove, we'd be OK with us being owned by anyone who'd help us compete. Sure, it might not sit right, but when you've got Ronaldo up front rather than Che Adams, Mahrez on the wing rather than Elyonoussi, Laporte at CB rather than Jack Stephens, I don't believe your average football fan is gonna boycott the club because of how Saudi Arabia practice Sharia Law. 

Exactly. In an ideal world, every club would be owned by a local businessman and it’d be a relatively equal playing field. However, reality is football has moved on. 

If a rich Arab came in and was willing to pump some cash in to make us a super club, I’d be walking round St Mary’s with a Keffiyeh on. Fuck the human rights record in their homeland. 

That's another club we can't compete with financially anymore then.

I think it's only Burnley and Norwich we can compete with now? But even Burnley were able to spend £18m this summer without selling, so that may not even be the case anymore

This club feels like it's stuck in treacle and can't get out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's another club we can't compete with financially anymore then.

I think it's only Burnley and Norwich we can compete with now? But even Burnley were able to spend £18m this summer without selling, so that may not even be the case anymore

This club feels like it's stuck in treacle and can't get out.

Absolutely.  Under Koeman and Poch we were comfortably punching above our weight because we got it so right on the pitch.  Scouting, recruitment, youth etc. Now we're stuck in a place where we've had years of getting it wrong, which comes at a cost, and an owner that won't spend. At what point do we start going for Gao's head? Difficult as he seems like he's in a place he never wanted to, but the selling price is way too high for us, so no-one will buy us.

You look though the table now, and you have the "Superleague 6", West Ham, Leicester, Villa, Everton who we cannot compete with financially.  You have a few clubs that are in a similar position to where we were a few years ago and getting it right - Brighton, Brentford, Leeds, Wolves.  That leaves Burnley, Palace, Norwich, Newcastle (about to get a massive buy out) and Watford.

Unfortunately the last few years of shite have caught up with us. We need Norwich to be a pile of shit all season, and 2 of Burnley, Palace, Norwich and Newcastle to be dross. Palace look considerably better than we do this season so far, especially given they're working with a new manager and a new squad. Why we didn't go for Anderson I do not know. Sure if Newcastle do get taken over, they'll buy themselves out of it in January. 

It's going to be a long season :classic_sad:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Just curious and not that I'd want them but why are Newcastle a lot more appealing than us 

I guess the idea is they are the biggest club in that area (and it's a big area) plus a bigger stadium and arguably a bigger prexisting fanbase. We have a smaller stadium and are a little close to London I guess. Not sure though, as City were bought and they literally share a City with united.

Premier League Map | Clubs | Logos - Sport League Maps

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Slight difference inasmuch Gao is not responsible for China’s appalling human rights record whereas the Saudi “govt”behind this takeover is up to its neck in murder etc. 

Mr Bruce could you please visit our Embassy.......never to be seen again lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had the perfect owner, but our luck was he was taken from us prematurely.

These new owners will push the price of players fees and wages up further making us even less likely to compete.

Perhaps Jamie Ohara is correct, we are a waste of time in the PL

2 hours ago, egg said:

Many wouldn't. This takeover isnt by some bloke from a dodgy country or even a state owned company from a dodgy country. But this is the government of a vile country who have sponsored world wide terrorism to promote its backwards evil Wahhabism. They created and backed the Taliban and supported Al-Qaeda, they created a world where Isis can exist and they have funded the extreme mosques around Europe, radicalising kids. This country has been behind the murders of thousands of Western civilians and the deaths of thousands of our service men.

It's amazing that the Britsh Government have anything to do with then and it is very sad that one of our football clubs have been allowed to be bought by them. I'm sure Newcastle fans will bo the mind gymnastics to get around this, just like a lot of our fans would do if they bought us. But the truth is the Saudis have a lot of our blood on their hands.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

These new owners will push the price of players fees and wages up further making us even less likely to compete.

Don't get his point at all.  If we weren't around, where would Liverpool go to find players?  Also if we're incapable of competing, why couldn't City or United manage 3 points against us?  

Newcastle are 19th now. They've got 13 games till the transfer window opens. Including all 6 of the "Big 6".  They could change the manager straight away but all the money in the world ain't going to improve the playing squad until January at the earliest. They could be the richest team in the Championship next season

53 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Leibherr wouldn't be bankrolling us to compete with Abu Dhabi or the Saudis though.

We'd be better off than we are now but not by loads. We'd still be trying to break even/live within means/etc.

The main difference between us and say Leicester is not really over-and-above massive bankrolling, its been the right choices in player/manager recruitment, and pretty smart reinvestment of incoming fees.

• Like 1

Very clear the PL wasn't really bothered at all about all the human rights stuff, they have given the go ahead because of the rights issue. 

Money, money, money, that is all that matters in football these days. 

Be interesting to see if the 'big 6' kick up a fuss about this, Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal already detest City as it is and I doubt they want another one muscling in on their piece of the pie. Utd can compete financially with the mega rich backed clubs, not so sure about Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool can, their owners don't tend to input that much cash. 

6 into 4 already doesn't work, 7 into 4 certainly won't. Reckon it will only take about 3-4 years for Newcastle to be competing for Champs league spots, especially as they can pretty much bypass FFP at the moment with the Covid rules. 

Suspect talk of the Super League will come back. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Many wouldn't. This takeover isnt by some bloke from a dodgy country or even a state owned company from a dodgy country. But this is the government of a vile country who have sponsored world wide terrorism to promote its backwards evil Wahhabism. They created and backed the Taliban and supported Al-Qaeda, they created a world where Isis can exist and they have funded the extreme mosques around Europe, radicalising kids. This country has been behind the murders of thousands of Western civilians and the deaths of thousands of our service men.

It's amazing that the Britsh Government have anything to do with then and it is very sad that one of our football clubs have been allowed to be bought by them. I'm sure Newcastle fans will bo the mind gymnastics to get around this, just like a lot of our fans would do if they bought us. But the truth is the Saudis have a lot of our blood on their hands.

Sure, Saudi Arabia is an awful country . How we interact and trade with them and Qatar, whilst treating Iran and others as the scum of the earth is one of life's great mysteries, but its a conversation for the lounge not this thread.

Despite my political views, I'd still turn up and support the club if they'd bought us. I think virtually all fans would.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I wouldn't take any notice of that thick twat.

He only considers us a waste of time as we are not bankrolled by billionaires and thus able to compete with those who are. He talks about 'irrelevant' matches, no match is irrelevant it's just that he and many others in the media only care about the big glory clubs. Football needs the 'have nots' just as much as the 'haves'.

Sadly as long as we are lumbered with an invisible disinterested owner who is unable/unwilling to invest in the club, we will continue treading water and likely be relegated sooner rather than later anyway.

https://newcastle-online.org/topic/36887-takeover-thread-caulkin-takeover-is-complete-awaiting-announcement/page/217/

Well the Geordies for the large majority don't really give a shit about the owners and their background. Surprised to read as thought there may have be more against it.

p.s Ashley to buy us for 200m...then give us a 200m war chest 😅

Edited by skintsaint

4 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I wouldn't take any notice of that thick twat.

He only considers us a waste of time as we are not bankrolled by billionaires and thus able to compete with those who are. He talks about 'irrelevant' matches, no match is irrelevant it's just that he and many others in the media only care about the big glory clubs. Football needs the 'have nots' just as much as the 'haves'.

Sadly as long as we are lumbered with an invisible disinterested owner who is unable/unwilling to invest in the club, we will continue treading water and likely be relegated sooner rather than later anyway.

Jamie O'hara, a very average prem footballer, you could even say the Southampton of premier league footballers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not literally at all! 😉

Old Trafford is in the Greater Manchester metropolitan borough of Trafford

Etihad stadium is in the city of Manchester

Oh no I've been got 😂

The North is a foreign land to me

26 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

https://newcastle-online.org/topic/36887-takeover-thread-caulkin-takeover-is-complete-awaiting-announcement/page/217/

Well the Geordies for the large majority don't really give a shit about the owners and their background. Surprised to read as thought there may have be more against it.

p.s Ashley to buy us for 200m...then give us a 200m war chest 😅

Ashley would probably love to take over a club like Saints. We've all become so used to buying cheap and selling anyone half decent that in many ways we are the perfect club for him and he wont get anything like the grief Newcastle fans gave him, in fact as long as he says the right things about ambition every now and again he'll probably have a lot of our great fans eating out of his hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, egg said:

Sure, Saudi Arabia is an awful country . How we interact and trade with them and Qatar, whilst treating Iran and others as the scum of the earth is one of life's great mysteries, but its a conversation for the lounge not this thread.

Despite my political views, I'd still turn up and support the club if they'd bought us. I think virtually all fans would.

Saudis are considered allies, Iran a threat, that's the difference.  Not that I agree with it all.

10 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Larger fan base, more worldwide known...no other top flight club in the whole north east. Struggling a bit after that!

Who would you want Ashley in charge here rather than Gao? 

Population comparison: Southampton City 246000 , Newcastle City 192000   Southampton Urban area 936000 , Newcastle Urban area 814000 .

So not population ! Could be tradition ie the main industry in Newcastle upon Tyne was coal mining plus ship building so traditionally more likely to go to football ? Also St James is close to city centre .

20 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Population comparison: Southampton City 246000 , Newcastle City 192000   Southampton Urban area 936000 , Newcastle Urban area 814000 .

So not population ! Could be tradition ie the main industry in Newcastle upon Tyne was coal mining plus ship building so traditionally more likely to go to football ? Also St James is close to city centre .

Only on this bloody forum would people try and argue that Southampton is a bigger city than Newcastle. I mean, honestly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TWar said:

I guess the idea is they are the biggest club in that area (and it's a big area) plus a bigger stadium and arguably a bigger prexisting fanbase. We have a smaller stadium and are a little close to London I guess. Not sure though, as City were bought and they literally share a City with united.

Premier League Map | Clubs | Logos - Sport League Maps

http://www.statsmapsnpix.com/2021/01/which-football-team-is-nearest-me.html?m=1

this is from last season but I doubt Brentford, Norwich or Watford’s inclusion changes things - but we are the club which is the nearest PL team to the largest number of population lol

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Only on this bloody forum would people try and argue that Southampton is a bigger city than Newcastle. I mean, honestly.

Depends on the criteria! It’s not a bigger club at the moment, It may have been a big club in the past attracting such top football men such as Keegan and Shearer but only after they were developed by Southampton Ha Ha !

5 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

All about arms and money, it's a sick mad world

• Like 1