Sport Republic

Dusic

Been thinking about it. We have actually been very well run by semmens and ralph lately, and its clear they've got a good relationship and have put a solid foundation in place. I think its likely that any takeover of saints could actually upset that and not in a good way -  Its unlikely we'll get a mega money takeover which means we would still need to be well run, and equally its unlikely whoever comes in would invest their own money and then leave semmens and ralph with the amount of control they currently have... as we've all seen, getting people in control of a club that know what they're doing and who will be successful is not a common occurrence - who would be confident that we could ditch ralph and semmens for an upgrade?

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Been thinking about it. We have actually been very well run by semmens and ralph lately, and its clear they've got a good relationship and have put a solid foundation in place. I think its likely that any takeover of saints could actually upset that and not in a good way -  Its unlikely we'll get a mega money takeover which means we would still need to be well run, and equally its unlikely whoever comes in would invest their own money and then leave semmens and ralph with the amount of control they currently have... as we've all seen, getting people in control of a club that know what they're doing and who will be successful is not a common occurrence - who would be confident that we could ditch ralph and semmens for an upgrade?

I think this is where I’m at, if I’m honest. 

The trouble we have is anyone coming in is going to want their own leadership team and / or a more hands on approach; which often is a disaster. However, we simply have to have some more investment in the club if we want to progress. 

We cannot rely on a squad overachieving season upon season. 

We could do with a Leicester / Villa type owner who are willing to put money in, but are also willing to let others run the club. 

I can see this whole Newcastle thing going completely tits up, if these 2 are allowed to run the club. 

City, whilst clearly having the money to help, had the right idea. They wanted to become Barca, so rather than buying all Barca’s players, they just went and recruited pretty much all of their (footballing side) leadership team. 

25 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I see it as a 50/50 coin flip. We can't shy away from something that could be better, but we have to make sure it isn't worse. I just hope Semmens is correct when he says the club are only interested in selling to the right people

4 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I see it as a 50/50 coin flip. We can't shy away from something that could be better, but we have to make sure it isn't worse. I just hope Semmens is correct when he says the club are only interested in selling to the right people

Does Gao feel the same way as the club?  

6 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Agree with the sentiments. how often have we seen money flashed, stars bought followed by massive dressing room unrest and stars unable or unwilling to play the manager's way. We are emerging from a negative period but present management team have a policy which is beginning to bring rewards, and to have done it without owner's investment is a rare achievement, thank you RH Crocker and Semmens and what a laugh if we reach midtable and Newcastle go down! 

• Like 4

On 18/11/2021 at 22:27, SaintsLoyal said:

It would make sense to do something similar to what West Ham have done with a percentage stake sold to underpin some woeful debt the club are grappling. 

Like 44pc of Leeds Utd is owned by 49ers Enterprises...

https://theathletic.com/2993130/2021/12/02/southampton-could-still-be-sold-this-year-but-for-now-the-club-remains-in-stasis/?source=user_shared_article 

A few tiny nuggets from it:  [Assume these are in-line with what you said we could post, cc:@stevegrant]

• The Athletic has learned that for financial reasons there is now a growing need for Gao to offload his stake sooner rather than later.

• It is understood that there are at least two parties at the table

• It’s believed that one of the parties at the table is keen on the kind of multi-club model currently commonplace among would-be investors.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Still could be sold "this year" feels fanciful when there's really only a couple of working weeks left.

I guess sometimes these things happen quickly but it really doesn't feel like that.

This month described as important in the article. 

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Still could be sold "this year" feels fanciful when there's really only a couple of working weeks left.

I guess sometimes these things happen quickly but it really doesn't feel like that.

My sense from the article is the interest this time is being followed up by scrutiny of the finances and bids on the table. Periods of exclusivity seem to have fallen out of favour which might reduce timescales.

Semmens has said that the serious parties won’t be kicking tyres in the press like Da Grosa was. Gao wants to sell and has done for ages, it’s for how much and on what terms. The article seems to be the club’s way of finally pushing him over the line into moving on, and understandably so as everyone will want some clarity and sense of direction. Sounds like his circumstances mean that he has had to soften on price. There’s also been articles linking quite a few players of typical profile for priority areas eg keeper (Johnston), and striker (Bereton and others) in the January window and I did wonder where the money would come from.

9 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I guess the bit about being able to sell the club instantly to a buyer the fans won’t be happy with is hinting towards Red Bull?

I'd honestly have no issue with Red Bull, providing they leave us with individuality and we're not just an English RB Leipzig.

Red Bull's style tends to be to take over smaller clubs anyway so I doubt it will be them, despite the obvious connections with Ralph.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'd honestly have no issue with Red Bull, providing they leave us with individuality and we're not just an English RB Leipzig.

Red Bull's style tends to be to take over smaller clubs anyway so I doubt it will be them, despite the obvious connections with Ralph.

I wouldn’t have an issue either tbf - I’m not sure the Premier League would allow us to change our name so that side of our history would remain intact. As long as they were providing us with the financial support we need I wouldn’t mind.

Can’t see I’m particularly pleased about Kat Liebherr having any involvement in the sales process - she put us in this mess in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

I guess the bit about being able to sell the club instantly to a buyer the fans won’t be happy with is hinting towards Red Bull?

More than likely that American chancer. 

RedBull Is a non starter. I don’t know why people continue to bring this up when there has never even been a sniff of them being interested in us or any other premier league teams. 

If RedBull did take over, most would soon see past the franchise element once we start competing towards the top end of the league anyway. Look at Newcastle, you have full grown blokes walking round in headscarf’s etc. 

Personally, football is dead, completely dead. We’ve got states & some very questionable people owning clubs. The reality is, if you want to compete in this league, you’re gonna have to have an owner  / business model which probably isn’t ideal.  I.e a dodgy Russian, a state owned club or a franchise, like RB.

Basically, after years of modern Premier Leauge football I’ve never felt more detached from the club, so I’d be happy for us to sell our soul if it brought success. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I wouldn’t have an issue either tbf - I’m not sure the Premier League would allow us to change our name so that side of our history would remain intact. As long as they were providing us with the financial support we need I wouldn’t mind.

Can’t see I’m particularly pleased about Kat Liebherr having any involvement in the sales process - she put us in this mess in the first place.

We'd definitely be renamed RB Southampton I think?

I like the cut off Red Bull's jib in general but if we were lower than Leipzig in the hierarchy and had to sell our best players to them then that would be annoying