Sport Republic

Dusic

17 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

There are many companies that raise this kind of money, and a fair number are either venture capitalists or have them as investors. Venture capitalists are focused on two things - a significant (and ideally quick) return, and an (investment) exit strategy. That pretty much makes them “chancers” in my book.

Granted, though, RedBall seem to have a longer term focus and a broader strategy.

If the only way of getting return on their money is by turning us into a regular Champions League club, I'm all for it.

I've been told it happening in the next two days, reliable guy, but does not have a clue who it is. Supposed to £125m, big loss for Goa but he needs to get something back. 

Apparently EPL have already approved it. 

I'm dubious in the fact that these things are never kept under wraps, so even though i trust the guy that told me, still don't believe it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Hope it’s true but if the source is “a mate in the media” it’s possibly less likely.

That isn't the source. The guy who posted it is usually pretty reliable and i know him personally. If he says it's going to happen i trust him, although a little strange there hasn't been a sniff of this in the media, not even a rumour.

1 minute ago, Noodles34 said:

I've been told it happening in the next two days, reliable guy, but does not have a clue who it is. Supposed to £125m, big loss for Goa but he needs to get something back. 

I'm dubious in the fact that these things are never kept under wraps, so even though i trust the guy that told me, still don't believe it.

Is your source the same as FTs? No one seems to know who it us, not even those who think it's done, i guess that could be a good thing as not loud mouths spouting off, if i remember rightly Marcus Liebherrs bid only became public knowledge a day or two before it was completed.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Is your source the same as FTs? No one seems to know who it us, not even those who think it's done, i guess that could be a good thing as not loud mouths spouting off, if i remember rightly Marcus Liebherrs bid only became public knowledge a day or two before it was completed.

yes, just read the UI and apart from son's embarrassing spelling, it's all there really. 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That isn't the source. The guy who posted it is usually pretty reliable and i know him personally. If he says it's going to happen i trust him, although a little strange there hasn't been a sniff of this in the media, not even a rumour.

I found it interesting as it’s very specific. 

• Like 1

It is possible to keep these things very secret and serious players would try to do so. Can you enforce media blackouts for this type of thing?

There have been a few silly transfer links over the past couple of weeks: that 17 year old striker for £20M, and another one too if I recall... maybe no link here, but maybe a few people know things.

Has Simon Jordan made any more comments lately? - Wasn't he involved somehow with an interested party with 'serious money' (his words if I recall).

Certainly an interesting rumour, and people sticking by their info. Pretty exciting.

21 minutes ago, Suhari said:

It is possible to keep these things very secret and serious players would try to do so. Can you enforce media blackouts for this type of thing?

There have been a few silly transfer links over the past couple of weeks: that 17 year old striker for £20M, and another one too if I recall... maybe no link here, but maybe a few people know things.

Has Simon Jordan made any more comments lately? - Wasn't he involved somehow with an interested party with 'serious money' (his words if I recall).

Certainly an interesting rumour, and people sticking by their info. Pretty exciting.

I asked Tom Leach about it on Twitter and hasn’t answered so it may seem that some have been told to shut it in exchange of maybe getting the exclusive story if and when it happens?

Not really anything concrete but just speculating and may explain why we ve heard nothing in the media.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yes, a guy called Le Tissier was holding it up in favour of a jewish guy from North London who proved to be penniless, if I remember rightly.

Just read the FT and ElijahK posts on the Ugly. Doesn't inspire confidence 🤣. Most of that thread is those 2 trying to argue how hardcore a fan Elijah is and whether he goes to games etc. Signs off saying they're mates who sit next together and share the same "source" - Wouldn't be surprised if its the same poster on multiple accounts.

The only thing that gives me pause for thought on calling it total BS. Is that their are rumours across multiple saints forums / twitter etc, and it hasn't been picked up by any media outlets (i.e. the Blackmore/athletic/echo etc). Normally something like this is at least raised as a question to the club in interviews etc. But the "source" broke on the 22nd/23rd and there hasn't been anything about it in the press 1 week later.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

Interesting they know the price being paid but not a thing about the person/persons involved 🤔

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

You know it's completely legit when real itks like me post it up on the mongboard prior to any announcements. 

On 25/12/2021 at 16:01, CanadaSaint said:

The less the rumour detail, the more likely it is to be an exchange-listed company. There are serious penalties for leaking significant stuff.

Or, for the skeptics, the less the rumour detail, the more likely it is to be bullshit.

Me? I'm a glass half-full guy. 🤣

This is a plausible explanation for why media aren't reporting on it and why we don't know the identity of the buyers

17 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Was Gao's 'investment' in the club rumoured/leaked before the official announcement?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14839465.amp/

Then there were a few articles later in that season to say the PL had blocked the takeover...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4450866/amp/Chinese-businessman-200m-bid-Southampton-blocked.html

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You know it's completely legit when real itks like me post it up on the mongboard prior to any announcements. 

This could be the greatest moment in your posting history, forever confirmed as a saintsweb great. Join me up here in the legends enclosure. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

Dave Merrington on the pitch yesterday receiving his award was interesting. He came out with the comment that it wasn't the owners who were the heart and soul of the club - it was us the fans.

I wondered why he started on about the owners. Why did he mention them? Does he know something is about to happen  with the ownership ? Are the new owners likely to be of concern to the fans and he was trying to reassure us? Am I just thinking bollux whilst putting 2 and 2 together and making 5?   

3 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Dave Merrington on the pitch yesterday receiving his award was interesting. He came out with the comment that it wasn't the owners who were the heart and soul of the club - it was us the fans.

I wondered why he started on about the owners. Why did he mention them? Does he know something is about to happen  with the ownership ? Are the new owners likely to be of concern to the fans and he was trying to reassure us? Am I just thinking bollux whilst putting 2 and 2 together and making 5?   

Think he was stating the obvious.

Dave always goes on about the fans and he’s right, without us Saints are nothing.

Regarding the takeover, I think it’s one person that’s starting this rumour (true or not true that’s not the matter) and I think the Chinese whispers are travelling to us supporters.

6 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Regarding the takeover, I think it’s one person that’s starting this rumour (true or not true that’s not the matter) and I think the Chinese whispers are travelling to us supporters.

>gasp!< Pilchards whispered that there was Chinese involvement to travelling supporters! Pass it...no hang on, that was last time... stupid game anyway...🙂

An old article but don't think they've got their 3rd club yet and also Dave Brailsford is now their Sports director for everything not just cycling and they invested in mercedes F1 so it looks like they are making moves.

Also when they've talked about EPL clubs before aside from name checking us as well run they talk alot about the cost involved in the purchase price. However getting a EPL club that had a 220m valuation when Goa bought it for 125m for 80% holding is a attractive sale.  Insert grasping at straws gif

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/exclusive-bob-ratcliffe-reveals-ineos-will-look-to-acquire-a-3rd-club-i-think-we-think-thats-something-european/

Bob Ratcliffe reveals INEOS will look to acquire a 3rd club

Edited by Convict Colony

33 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

@Convict Colony The quote in that article is not relevant. It is all about finding a pathway club for youngsters into OGC Nice. Saints in the Premier League aren't going to be a feeder club to OGC Nice youth players.

It’s the other way round.

Our youngsters will be the pathway at Nice. The premiership is where the money is and if we get these rumoured 20m wonder kids in then perhaps that’s where we send them to improve?

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DT said:

Is there any chance it’s Red Bull, do we think?

Can't see it. They're a huge brand worldwide already, and I can't see what's in it for them commercially by paying £125m+ to buy us and tens of millions a year to improve us. 

• Like 1

All of the potential buyers will be looking for value and sustainability - not just to throw a ton of money at it, and certainly not to take on the millstone of big, long term contracts for crap players.

It’s almost like this deal has been in the offing for some time, but we would have to clear out the dross before it could happen.

Bob Ratcliffe is big on “making our own”, and so will most of the others be. While our academy production has slipped, we’ve continued to invest in the academy infrastructure. That’s unrealized value, which makes us attractive.

To me, INEOS, Red Bull and Redball are realistic hopes, and they do their business the way it should be done - quietly. It could be someone else, of course, but I can’t see any Barry’s or briefcases being in this.

• Like 4

If we were available for £125m I'd imagine there'd be plenty of people interested. That's a fair amount of upside on an asset that was valued at close to £300m only a few years ago. I can't imagine Gao would accept taking that much of a haircut though. Since we haven't seen any cash taken out of the club to service the debt he incurred, he's probably also paid out multiple tens of millions of loan interest on his borrowing. 

17 hours ago, Suhari said:

The thread on the UI is still suggesting it's on.

Guess we'll know in the next 36 hours.

Just one question....

If this takeover is expected to be done and dusted before the end of December, does that mean that somewhere there is a group of lawyers, financiers, management teams etc etc all working away furiously in the background in the week between Xmas and New Year where traditionally the output of most workers is the square root of fuck all (those that aren't already on holiday!).

Timeline sounds dubious to me....

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Just one question....

If this takeover is expected to be done and dusted before the end of December, does that mean that somewhere there is a group of lawyers, financiers, management teams etc etc all working away furiously in the background in the week between Xmas and New Year where traditionally the output of most workers is the square root of fuck all (those that aren't already on holiday!).

Those guys get paid mega bucks. There is a reason why they get paid more than "most workers."

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest i am expecting no announcement and the jan depression to begin.

Totally agree which is a shame as it’s a beautiful rumour.

Some rumours have the power to destroy, some have the power to unite & some are so good they can even stop people posting graphs about American spelling & how big a club Leeds Utd are. 

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Just one question....

Due diligence and prep for a deal like this would have been done well in advance. The actual process of transferring shares/creating new holding companies/moving money around isn' a complex one. If it's happening now, the lawyers and accountants will have been on standby and draft docs will have been circulated ready to go. The timing ain't an issue.