Sport Republic

Dusic

8 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Tbh Sheldon doesn t have any more sources than Blackmore and Blackmore doesn t know fuck all about the takeover.

He said than those who made the most noise were the less serious and that there was basically no truth in it but DaGrosa was serious and paid for an exclusivity period to look at the finances.

Those really in the know are the ones closest to Gao, his lawyers and close family.

There are many ineresting articles available from blackmore though.........oh

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I've noticed that with a lot of Sheldon articles, they're a lot of words wrapped up in the illusion that behind-the-scenes stuff is being shared, but in reality he's just fluffing up what is already in the public domain and any of us can find.

Nothing new is ever presented in what he posts. It's either his opinions or fluffed up words that can be found anywhere. I expect more 'in the know' stuff from the Athletic to be honest.

If anyone at The Athletic knows the most about any potential takeover, it would probably be Matt Slater.

A few interesting bits of info on players eg Gunn’s second loan isn’t mandatory, although I recoil at £13.5m paid for him. At today’s prices and for an outfield player, that’d be £20m+ and there would be no pressure on the Ings situation because that’s a big chunk of the replacement. Les and Ross you morons, we didn’t even need a third first team keeper. The pair of bunglers probably thought someone would bid for Fraser but not after the loopy second contract extension. Reed did more damage than Branfoot, Askham and Lowe combined.

Sounds like Vesty off and Salisu is replacement. Hope JV hasn’t firmly settled on Spurs unless we can pull another KWP out of the hat in exchange eg Tanganga on loan/fixed fee option. Rather that than a poxy £12m fee or something. Brendan might pay more and I would rather be managed by him than Mourinho.

The main item of interest is the sketchiest, eg takeover. It’s not surprising there is scant information as Gao doesn’t communicate with the club he owns four fifths of let alone outsiders. As we also still don’t even know why he bought in the first place, it’s impossible to guess with any accuracy what his price or conditions eg deposit might be for buyers. The only facts we do know is that the interest on the loan will bite in the near future, wrecking any ideas of self sustainability, and the club is a liability not an asset if the club is relegated. So selling sooner rather than later would help him but a canny buyer will know this and drive his price down, whatever that is.

There were some rumours the string start had led to him raising the price but I don’t think Da Grosa ever had the funds anyway. Domestic issues in China if relations sour further with the West may force matters. What we know from the late 2000s on here is that for all the magnificent seven stuff and people with briefcases, the real buyer was in the background keeping their own counsel, because they had the means but wanted the best deal so the net investment counted. There was lots of noise at Derby but that’s fallen through. I bet Dyche is not better off in the transfer market at Burnley this summer. Interesting new Bahrain owner at Wigan but will have to wait and see.

Next season is going to be a brute if there isn’t a takeover by June though, which seems unlikely unless there was another exclusivity period in place to examine the finances. 

• Like 2

I think we as fans need to be prepared for a pretty hard summer. We will lose our best players who are close to the end of their contracts because we have to fill a serious hole in the finances and there is zero investment from Gao and no sale unless he recoups his money fully. This may become a reality if we get relegated next season because we might not have the quality of players needed to stay up. It’s going to be a rough ride. Buckle in. 

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I've noticed that with a lot of Sheldon articles, they're a lot of words wrapped up in the illusion that behind-the-scenes stuff is being shared, but in reality he's just fluffing up what is already in the public domain and any of us can find.

Nothing new is ever presented in what he posts. It's either his opinions or fluffed up words that can be found anywhere. I expect more 'in the know' stuff from the Athletic to be honest.

I said it at the outset when he took over from Anka (who is sports journalist i rate a lot), Dan just isn't of the same calibre. He posts the odd piece with interviews of former players etc (which are nice to reads), but his analytics of our play style/tactics, or player performances etc are basically non existent. Maybe thats being harsh, but they're certainly not very insightful as a general rule of thumb. I think the only one he did of note was discussing the evolution of McCarthy's positioning to that of a true sweeper keeper - and that is it...

As with all things saints, we had someone of quality, they were poached by a top club, and we got was hoped could be the next Mane and turned out to be the Nathan Redmond of sports journalism. Flatters to deceive but rarely delivers quality end product.

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

A few interesting bits of info on players eg Gunn’s second loan isn’t mandatory, although I recoil at £13.5m paid for him. At today’s prices and for an outfield player, that’d be £20m+ and there would be no pressure on the Ings situation because that’s a big chunk of the replacement. Les and Ross you morons, we didn’t even need a third first team keeper. The pair of bunglers probably thought someone would bid for Fraser but not after the loopy second contract extension. Reed did more damage than Branfoot, Askham and Lowe combined.

Sounds like Vesty off and Salisu is replacement. Hope JV hasn’t firmly settled on Spurs unless we can pull another KWP out of the hat in exchange eg Tanganga on loan/fixed fee option. Rather that than a poxy £12m fee or something. Brendan might pay more and I would rather be managed by him than Mourinho.

The main item of interest is the sketchiest, eg takeover. It’s not surprising there is scant information as Gao doesn’t communicate with the club he owns four fifths of let alone outsiders. As we also still don’t even know why he bought in the first place, it’s impossible to guess with any accuracy what his price or conditions eg deposit might be for buyers. The only facts we do know is that the interest on the loan will bite in the near future, wrecking any ideas of self sustainability, and the club is a liability not an asset if the club is relegated. So selling sooner rather than later would help him but a canny buyer will know this and drive his price down, whatever that is.

There were some rumours the string start had led to him raising the price but I don’t think Da Grosa ever had the funds anyway. Domestic issues in China if relations sour further with the West may force matters. What we know from the late 2000s on here is that for all the magnificent seven stuff and people with briefcases, the real buyer was in the background keeping their own counsel, because they had the means but wanted the best deal so the net investment counted. There was lots of noise at Derby but that’s fallen through. I bet Dyche is not better off in the transfer market at Burnley this summer. Interesting new Bahrain owner at Wigan but will have to wait and see.

Next season is going to be a brute if there isn’t a takeover by June though, which seems unlikely unless there was another exclusivity period in place to examine the finances. 

Good post that.

On the Da Grosa point, imo, the bloke definitely had the money problem was Gao (or whoever's money bought the club because I'm not convinced it is Gao's money) raised the price when we were flying.

He tried to take Da Grosa for a fucking idiot and lost.

Da Grosa isn't an idiot, he's an astute businessman not some political puppet who's only (allegedly) still breathing because he grassed somebody else up.

All that being said, Da Grosa's intentions aren't much different to Kat Liebherrs, he strikes me as a Randy Lerner at villa type and I think he's bad news.

Edited by JustinSFC

Interesting random chat with a guy I saw whilst walking my dog in the forest this morning. Don't really know him at all, just occasionally see him whilst walking, so no idea how reliable he is, but thought I'd pass it on.

Said he works in the finance world, for a stockbroker with offices in Southampton and London called Charles Stanley. Anyway, he said that one of the interested parties is Sir Jim Ratcliffe. Apparently he's one of the highest net worth individuals in the country, multi billionaire level, owns a Swiss and French football club already, and lives in Hampshire. So sounds at least plausible. 

Also said the guy owns a super yacht called Hamshire 2, so there's something to add to the yacht watch too, whilst keeping an eye on Paul Allen's. ;)

The guy was talking him up a treat, so fingers crossed there's something in it, as he sounds awesome and a perfect fit for us.

3 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Interesting random chat with a guy I saw whilst walking my dog in the forest this morning. Don't really know him at all, just occasionally see him whilst walking, so no idea how reliable he is, but thought I'd pass it on.

Said he works in the finance world, for a stockbroker with offices in Southampton and London called Charles Stanley. Anyway, he said that one of the interested parties is Sir Jim Ratcliffe. Apparently he's one of the highest net worth individuals in the country, multi billionaire level, owns a Swiss and French football club already, and lives in Hampshire. So sounds at least plausible. 

Also said the guy owns a super yacht called Hamshire 2, so there's something to add to the yacht watch too, whilst keeping an eye on Paul Allen's. ;)

The guy was talking him up a treat, so fingers crossed there's something in it, as he sounds awesome and a perfect fit for us.

CEO of Ineos. Used to live in Lyndhurst, before moving to Monaco, I think. 

Owner of Nice in France, not sure on the Swiss team. Linked to buying Chelsea? (One of the big 4) in past who he supports, I believe. 

Very wealthy, Experience in running a football club, would be an ideal fit, but it’s not happen. 

Sounds like it’s just a case of linking a wealthy man who lived in the area to a club that’s for sale. 

31 minutes ago, SKD said:

Owner of Nice in France, not sure on the Swiss team. Linked to buying Chelsea? (One of the big 4) in past who he supports, I believe. 

Very wealthy, Experience in running a football club, would be an ideal fit, but it’s not happen. 

Sounds like it’s just a case of linking a wealthy man who lived in the area to a club that’s for sale. 

Jim Ratcliffe also funds the Ineos Cycling team (ex Sky Cycling team)

Didnt he get turned down for a big expansion of the property he owns (owned) on Beaulieu River?

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Good post that.

On the Da Grosa point, imo, the bloke definitely had the money problem was Gao (or whoever's money bought the club because I'm not convinced it is Gao's money) raised the price when we were flying.

He tried to take Da Grosa for a fucking idiot and lost.

Da Grosa isn't an idiot, he's an astute businessman not some political puppet who's only (allegedly) still breathing because he grassed somebody else up.

All that being said, Da Grosa's intentions aren't much different to Kat Liebherrs, he strikes me as a Randy Lerner at villa type and I think he's bad news.

Lerner did invest quite a bit at the start, restored the famous Holt Hotel, then lost interest. Although he did always sound like a driving instructor’s nightmare. 

The official story on Gao was that he leveraged against his own assets outside of China (Macau?) through lenders in Hong Kong. I don’t know how Kat got the PL to pass him and proper, the intentions about why he bought it are about as clear as a frosted window. If it was domestic reasons I don’t think they must have led to much benefit, certainly I didn’t see anything which indicated it had. I can’t think it makes it any easier as a sale although a good due diligence period might flush some of the questions out. His companies didnt seem to be doing overly well eg Lander and the LD Sports thing was odd. I struggle to see how he will make a profit and probably a considerable loss - of assets to the bank if the original statement was true. 

If there was a choice between Da Grosa and Gao - not a great choice at all but I think with the former we’d have some chance of following what he and his lenders were up to. Bordeaux was a red flag though. As for Radcliffe, good as that would be, it pops up on here every so often as a wish rather than a firm connection. Was linked to Chelsea so has the means but can watch his football at Monaco. Question is, would Saints add value to their current portfolio, especially with work permit regs now so harder to trade a pool of players? Maybe they would and we are less likely to get in Europe than Monaco. 

Can’t see anyone paying top whack with the loan and Gao hadn’t sold the club even before that, seems to have been for sale for some time. LeG hinted on here that someone was close to buying per pandemic although as per previous post, you’d have thought period of exclusivity first, even if a proper buyer could me that shorter though having demonstrable funds. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Whenever I've read anything about him it states he's a longstanding Man Utd supporter although had a ST at Stamford Bridge as he was living in London.

I think the name has been regularly touted on here, but can't help thinking if he was interested he'd have made a move by now, what has changed ? Can't see it happening unfortunately.

1 hour ago, SKD said:

That is one hell of a fucking reach....

Jim Radcliffe?

Does the bloke invest in Nice? As in none of this 1 in 1 out bollocks we've had for the past almost decade....

22 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Lerner did invest quite a bit at the start, restored the famous Holt Hotel, then lost interest. Although he did always sound like a driving instructor’s nightmare. 

The official story on Gao was that he leveraged against his own assets outside of China (Macau?) through lenders in Hong Kong. I don’t know how Kat got the PL to pass him and proper, the intentions about why he bought it are about as clear as a frosted window. If it was domestic reasons I don’t think they must have led to much benefit, certainly I didn’t see anything which indicated it had. I can’t think it makes it any easier as a sale although a good due diligence period might flush some of the questions out. His companies didnt seem to be doing overly well eg Lander and the LD Sports thing was odd. I struggle to see how he will make a profit and probably a considerable loss - of assets to the bank if the original statement was true. 

If there was a choice between Da Grosa and Gao - not a great choice at all but I think with the former we’d have some chance of following what he and his lenders were up to. Bordeaux was a red flag though. As for Radcliffe, good as that would be, it pops up on here every so often as a wish rather than a firm connection. Was linked to Chelsea so has the means but can watch his football at Monaco. Question is, would Saints add value to their current portfolio, especially with work permit regs now so harder to trade a pool of players? Maybe they would and we are less likely to get in Europe than Monaco. 

Can’t see anyone paying top whack with the loan and Gao hadn’t sold the club even before that, seems to have been for sale for some time. LeG hinted on here that someone was close to buying per pandemic although as per previous post, you’d have thought period of exclusivity first, even if a proper buyer could me that shorter though having demonstrable funds. 

LD Sports was seriously off.

Something wasn't right there.

I don't buy the whole "we're taking them to court" bollocks either, that just seems like something put out to make it sound legit.

43 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Jim Ratcliffe also funds the Ineos Cycling team (ex Sky Cycling team)

Didnt he get turned down for a big expansion of the property he owns (owned) on Beaulieu River?

I  read he received the planning on his house but subsequently announced he was going to live in Monaco.

fought a six-year battle with his neighbours, planning authorities and conservationists for permission to build his dream £6m beach house on the Solent coast in the New Forest national park.

After being rejected by the authorities five times, national park planners granted approval on the sixth attempt and the builders finally moved in last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/23/neighbours-angry-as-selfish-jim-ratcliffe-leaves-new-forest-home

Perhaps we're his 'retirement project'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

Wishful thinking, but you never know. We would be a good fit for the right price https://www.ineos.com/sports/football/

22 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

I don't think this will drag either, it's not an administration takeover, it should be straightforward.

If it drags, it'll be because of Gao, somehow I don't think this is going to be entirely up to Gao, I'm still not convinced it was entirely his money that bought the club in the first place.

We'll never know the truth.

If it drags it might also be that the prospective buyers dont have the money. Takeovers from wealthy individuals happen quickly, takeovers from consortiums borrowing to finance the deal take ages and are terrible for the club they are taking over as no decisions get made between the current and future owners.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Depressed of Shirley said:

If it drags it might also be that the prospective buyers dont have the money. Takeovers from wealthy individuals happen quickly, takeovers from consortiums borrowing to finance the deal take ages and are terrible for the club they are taking over as no decisions get made between the current and future owners.

Can't be a consortium.

Don't want that.

Needs to be one person with one single vision.

Anyway it won't be.

Consortium coalition buyouts very rarely happen at Premier League level, last time it happened I think Wolves?

Consortium buyouts usually happen at League one, League two level and distressed clubs administration.

That being said, if a consortium gets involved I'd rather stick with Gao/da Grosa.

However, the da Grosa deal has a very consortium feel to it. I don't like him.

55 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

thinking about ratcliffe.

Swiss Team - Lausanne

French Team - Nice

English Team ? Southampton

Going for a franchise model a la city ?

Made some interesting comments about Saints comparing them to Nice here Manchester United fan and Britain's richest man Sir Jim Ratcliffe explains why he hasn't purchased club - Manchester Evening News

we seem to be the sort of club he'd be interested in judging by that

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Made some interesting comments about Saints comparing them to Nice here Manchester United fan and Britain's richest man Sir Jim Ratcliffe explains why he hasn't purchased club - Manchester Evening News

we seem to be the sort of club he'd be interested in judging by that

Yeah... looks like Ineos are going down the City Group / RB group, just without the changing of name so removes the ‘franchise’ element from It. 

If the reported 180m figure is correct, we’re a bit of a bargain to be honest. Obviously there is the high interest Loan which needs factoring in, but I think I’m right in saying it doesn’t come In to play until 5 years time? 

I guess it comes down to if we are cheap enough for him to make a return without having to pump a load of cash at us. We’ll see I guess. 

32 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yeah... looks like Ineos are going down the City Group / RB group, just without the changing of name so removes the ‘franchise’ element from It. 

If the reported 180m figure is correct, we’re a bit of a bargain to be honest. Obviously there is the high interest Loan which needs factoring in, but I think I’m right in saying it doesn’t come In to play until 5 years time? 

I guess it comes down to if we are cheap enough for him to make a return without having to pump a load of cash at us. We’ll see I guess. 

The loan will be on the books now - just doesn't need repaying for 5 years but it will have reduced the net assets on the balance sheet by the amount of the loan we have utilised.  That will just make it harder for Gao to support his asking price as there will be more of a goodwill element to the transaction.

It is difficult to see how much of a return can be made on Saints.  If they are looking to increase value and sell then that is dependent on success, increased commercial revenues and then finding someone to buy it off them.  Otherwise it will be looking for income on the investment which would mean taking money out of the club

Given current losses I think Gao will struggle to get his £180m asking price.  There aren't many individuals with both the resources and desire to own a football club.  And as has been shown with DaGrossa it is not easy getting a consortium together unless you end up like Burnley and whack the debt on the club.

Edited by John D
typos

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Whenever I've read anything about him it states he's a longstanding Man Utd supporter although had a ST at Stamford Bridge as he was living in London.

I think the name has been regularly touted on here, but can't help thinking if he was interested he'd have made a move by now, what has changed ? Can't see it happening unfortunately.

He’s well minted so if he wanted to buy us he would.

5 hours ago, Rivers said:

# doggingwatch

• Haha 1

Jim Ratcliffe = Brexit wanker. 

Talked up Brexit as the best thing ever, and when it became obvious that the UK was destined to become a third world shit hole, he upped sticks and fucked off to Monaco. 

I'd rather have Barry the Briefcase and the fucking monkey chicken petting zoo. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Block 5 said:

Talked up Brexit as the best thing ever, and when it became obvious that the UK was destined to become a third world shit hole, he upped sticks and fucked off to Monaco. 

Brexit is the best thing ever.

Forget the Jim Ratcliffe story anyway.  It’s a wind-up.

• Haha 1

On 31/03/2021 at 11:25, Daft Kerplunk said:

I think we as fans need to be prepared for a pretty hard summer. We will lose our best players who are close to the end of their contracts because we have to fill a serious hole in the finances and there is zero investment from Gao and no sale unless he recoups his money fully. This may become a reality if we get relegated next season because we might not have the quality of players needed to stay up. It’s going to be a rough ride. Buckle in. 

Cheer up lad, lockdown will soon be easing and you'll be able to go outside to play tennis, golf or five-a-side or whatever keeps you sane normally. Think, no more keyboards or endless worrying about things beyond your control.

6 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Brexit is the best thing ever.

Forget the Jim Ratcliffe story anyway.  It’s a wind-up.

Not for Scottish fisherman who are moaning about Brexit because they can't sell their catches to the French it isn't and they voted for bloody Brexit.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Block 5 said:

33 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not for Scottish fisherman who are moaning about Brexit because they can't sell their catches to the French it isn't and they voted for bloody Brexit.

Nigel Farage Goodbye GIF

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Block 5 said:

Hahahaha let’s hope it’s a Ratcliffe / Trump consortium that is our eventual buyer then. 

23 hours ago, Rivers said:

Wake up it was only a dream

3 hours ago, Suhari said:

Up to 36 points.

Safe enough for exclusivity anyone?

I think so.

But I don't think we're going to get any solid name until very late and then it'll be really quick.

I'd be amazed if any journalist or insider had a name well in advance of a completed deal. I think it'll be late and fast.

28 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I think so.

But I don't think we're going to get any solid name until very late and then it'll be really quick.

I'd be amazed if any journalist or insider had a name well in advance of a completed deal. I think it'll be late and fast.

Reminds me of my nightclub pick up tactics 

• Haha 3

Its a shame, in order to save the squad this summer i think we need something in place ASAP.

As it is, we're going to be losing Vesty and Ings on the cheap (both of which will need replacing), as well as needing someone to fill the theo/minamino/long shaped hole (which will be a separate net spend event), possibly bertrand as well - not to mention that we have no full back cover....

That's a lot of quality churn for a club with huge debt and ongoing monthly losses. On the face of it, there is no way we should expect to be doing anything but reducing squad quality across the pitch as it stands 😭. And next season will be even more condensed that this year, what the Euros and altered season for the QATAR world cup.

Edited by Saint86

On 30/03/2021 at 21:21, JustinSFC said:

Dan Sheldon sounds like he doesn't know anymore than anyone else does.

Any mug on here could have guessed pretty much all of that.

There seem to be so many 'reporters' , podcasts etc these days that just recycle information from other sources.

Just listen to Ralph's pressers and pick up on what Adam Blackmore mentions and I think you get the majority of what you need to know...

1 hour ago, Kingsland Red said:

There seem to be so many 'reporters' , podcasts etc these days that just recycle information from other sources.

Just listen to Ralph's pressers and pick up on what Adam Blackmore mentions and I think you get the majority of what you need to know...

Best on Twitter is Nixon and Blackmore.

Nixon tends to get things nobody else gets within a mile of.

And I find Blackmore on the money with confirming or discarding rumours.

Like when every journo, Sky pundit, Sky Sports "breaking news" had us in for Josh King at Bournemouth and Blackmore called BS on it within about 20 minutes.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Like 1