Sport Republic

Dusic

How accurate is that wage stat? If we had a 30 man first team squad it would average 73k per week per player, which is what our top earner probably is on right now.

I understand there are groundsmen, ticket sales staff etc but they are prob on about 1k per week max. Maybe i'm missing something.

Looking at our squad we are wasting a lot of money on wages for nothing too special.

Edited by skintsaint

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

How accurate is that wage stat? If we had a 30 man first team squad it would average 73k per week per player, which is what our top earner probably is on right now.

I understand there are groundsmen, ticket sales staff etc but they are prob on about 1k per week max. Maybe i'm missing something.

Looking at our squad we are wasting a lot of money on wages for nothing too special.

Just like 90% of other premier league teams,wasting money making bang average players very rich,why couldnt i make it as a footballer...........

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Well they’ve got 5 ‘directors’ who combined are probably close to a million. Then there’s apparently a load of other ‘directors’ who probably earn similar when combined, then loads of ‘heads of’ departments earning decent money, then a load more ‘managers’ plus loads of minions producing documents for the people up top to review and pass back down again. It’s the corporate way. And on the football side, there’s a football premium so all the first team staff, full time coaches, sport science staff and physios etc. Plus over a million on women’s team. It all adds up. 

7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

That wage stat matches what’s in the officially published accounts (these can be found on the companies house website if you ever want to check them out yourself) though it is the combination of wages (around £100m) and other staff costs (social security, pensions etc…). Keep in mind this is for all staff and not just playing staff.

Agents aren’t stupid, as soon as the T.V rights value went up they made sure to push for higher fees and wages for their clients and so the benefit to the clubs of the new T.V deal isn’t as significant as people might think.

Overall turnover for the year in question was £125m while operating costs were about £150.5m leading to a loss of around £25.5m. These figures do not account for player trading where we made a significant loss for the second straight year as well.

Matchday revenue was the big loss due to the pandemic and deals with LD sports and Under Armour haven’t helped either. In turns of making money then you have to rely on Cup runs, getting into Europe (dominated mostly by the ‘Big 6’ anyway), getting more of our games on T.V , league position (which is only around £2m per place) or via commercial revenue (which we have a relatively small amount of and have been historically poor at increasing).

Once fans are back in stadiums i'd imagine our finances will look a little rosier - especially if we can lower the wage bill a bit by getting rid of the players we keep loaning out.

Just received this notification that the club's pre-1995 mortgage documents are in the process of being uploaded to Companies House....

Any financial gurus out there who can comment on why this retrospective activity might be happening at this moment in time....? A paperwork housekeeping exercise ahead of a potential takeover per chance...? #clutchingatstraws

image.thumb.png.aad1df75a8be788b01269fdbd12867f8.png

10 hours ago, Nolan said:

Just took a look at the 167 pages they've uploaded.

Mortgages charges from 1923-1981 for a lot of sites.

The most recent ones are for a lot of the premises along Burton Road.

When you say recent, would that coincide with the time they were rumoured to be turning the Dell through 90 degrees? At the time it was said the church wouldn’t sell and that’s what halted it? Or was that all just urban myth?

12 hours ago, Nolan said:

Cheers for that Nolan. Seems slightly bizarre to be uploading documents from 1923 in the year 2021...!

On 08/07/2021 at 20:34, Nolan said:

Presumably this was done at a time the club were considering expanding The Dell and turning the pitch round.

On 06/07/2021 at 02:18, skintsaint said:

You have to remember that football wages are usually quoted *after* tax. Tge obscenely high money that we hear players are paid are actually their take home pay. The clubs pay their tax for them in effect - or in Portsmouth's case they didn't! 🙂

So to pay someone say £60k a week will cost the club around 100k. And it is wage costs that show in the accounts,  not the take home pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Does the club still own Badgers(?) Farm?

jacksons farm, might be still on the accounts buts its nowhere near anything of valuation that was touted in the past.

Some of it now has a road running through it, but unless your the developer its flat grass land.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58111494

Looks like West Ham next up for a takeover bid.

Such a weird one, the owners don't want to sell so they're trying to turn the fans against them. Toxic from the word go. And lets be honest, they've done a good job at West Ham.

What happened to the De Grosa view being that serious bidders keep things quiet as well?

Edited by Saint86

I was really expecting to see some movement after our PL status was secured and not having any movement has harmed our chances for next season.

I dont like Gao but must be tough for him. Supposedly China have said he cant invest any more money so naturally he wants to sell & naturally he wants his money back. Problem is with Covid the valuation has dropped as no matchday revenue has had an effect on turnover. But without investment relegation is a strong possibility and if thats the case he'll never get his money back. Think he might need to cut his losses and run at some point. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

I was really expecting to see some movement after our PL status was secured and not having any movement has harmed our chances for next season.

I dont like Gao but must be tough for him. Supposedly China have said he cant invest any more money so naturally he wants to sell & naturally he wants his money back. Problem is with Covid the valuation has dropped as no matchday revenue has had an effect on turnover. But without investment relegation is a strong possibility and if thats the case he'll never get his money back. Think he might need to cut his losses and run at some point. 

I’m a pessimist and even I thought something would happen this summer with a takeover.  I will go back to pessimism.

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’m a pessimist and even I thought something would happen this summer with a takeover.  I will go back to pessimism.

I'm a pessimist and I thought nothing would happen this summer with a takeover. I will remain pessimistic.

23 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Likewise. Too late for any new potential owner to have any impact now. 

Does the sale of ings suggest no take over is close? Surely if you were to sell, you’d want your prized asset still at the club. 

40 minutes ago, SKD said:

Likewise. Too late for any new potential owner to have any impact now. 

Does the sale of ings suggest no take over is close? Surely if you were to sell, you’d want your prized asset still at the club. 

What/who is our prized asset...?

And before you say Ings, he was our prized asset but as his contact wore on his value lessoned, we then cashed in for 30m for 9 months worth of asset.

I guess it has to be JWP now?

On 06/08/2021 at 06:55, westmidlandsaint said:

But if I've understood correctly, the Chinese government have also told him he can't sell at a loss, so he's trapped unless he can find a buyer willing to pay full price

Interesting article and quite reassuring. The more I hear from Semmens the more I like him. Talks a lot of sense and clearly has the clubs best interests at heart. 

Fingers crossed he can find the right sort of investment for the club.

9 hours ago, WestMidSaint said:

Fascinating when he says he could get us investment but we wouldn’t like it?!

Probably means that there are investors or hedge funds out there who would buy the club or part of it but who would want their money back quickly, like De Grossa or even worse. 

Imagine an owner who say's you have the Ings money, but I'm keeping the Vestegaard money! 

• Like 1

Premier League: Clubs have been ranked according to fan confidence in their owners | GiveMeSport

Goa isnt the worst owner, there are 3 worse, according to this. Although not quite sure how they work that out given Ashley is doing what we are doing, ie just enough to stay up but they dont have to sell to buy and arent in tens of millions of debt. Man U and Arsenal hardly comparable.

Edited by Turkish

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Premier League: Clubs have been ranked according to fan confidence in their owners | GiveMeSport

Goa isnt the worst owner, there are 3 worse, according to this. Although not quite sure how they work that out given Ashley is doing what we are doing, ie just enough to stay up but they dont have to sell to buy and arent in tens of millions of debt. Man U and Arsenal hardly comparable.

Not a case of working it out, it is 20 fan surveys independent from each other.

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Can you name something Gao has done wrong? Not investing doesn't count.

He isn't a good owner, he isn’t a bad owner. He is a pointless owner. 

Why does he need to? Its irrelevant to the question he asked. 

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why doesn’t it count? That’s one of the main needs a football club need to receive from its owner, he fails on this front and therefore is a bad owner.

Edited by Uncle Albert
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Despite being a pointless owner 15% of fans have confidence in him.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Because him not being able to invest isn't his fault. Restrictions from his national government. 

Which is why we should never have got involved with him - the whole Chinese investment into football was clearly state driven and therefore fraught with risk. 

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Despite being a pointless owner 15% of fans have confidence in him.

It's basically a badly worded survey. I don't have confidence in Gao to invest and take us to the next level. I do have confidence in him to oversee a decently well run club which makes the most of its limited resources