Sport Republic

Dusic

On 13/10/2021 at 07:50, berkshiresaint said:

Getting back on track to any potential new owners, a hypothetical question:

What type of new owner would people like?

1. A multi billionaire Government fund from some dodgy country as per Newcastle. 

2. A multi billionaire dodgy individual like Man City 

3. A billionaire who wants us as a play thing much like Chelsea

4. A multi millionaire local with ties to the club with enough money to invest every year to aid transfers & make improvements to the stadium

5. Something else

For me I would be happy with number 4.  

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't be arsed to go through all 30 pages.

The other option, although could be under 5.Something else, is a 'corporate takeover' by a company example a Red Bull, or Ineos (although neither likely), or Fuson (at Wolves) rather than an individual or Govt fund.

10 years ago I think we'd been horrified at a corporate takeover but now I think most would be open to it, if it was able to make us competitive (even for 8-10th place finishes - although that isn't going to be an attraction to investors). Just hope it isn't another Secure Retirement !

Ideally, would like a mega wealthy kindly benefactor (as per Marcus) but agree with MLG that an individual is unlikely to have sufficient funds at this level.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, berkshiresaint said:

Another hypothetical question.

Jeff Bezos  buys us & promises to invest at least £2billion in the club but changes the name to the Amazon Saints (or some such shite) would you be happy with this?

I think i could just about manage to cope with this.

The FA would not allow such a name change.

On 11/10/2021 at 13:05, Charlie Wayman said:

What an odd and bigoted thing to say without qualification or detailed assessment. As you rarely visit the place then clearly your knowledge of modern Southampton is close to zero thus rendering you remarkably unqualified to pass an opinion.

Southampton is a modern, industrial city that has received a huge amount of investment and development over the last 20 years and from many different perspectives is now the equal of most cities in the UK and certainly of the majority of similar size. It is indisputably the UK's premier passenger port and a destination for most of the World's cruise ship fleets. It is particularly attractive to young upwardly mobile professionals that are bringing a new life and dynamism to many parts of the City that were once frowned upon by the economically less empathetic.

What it is not is an historical relic petrified in time and reliant on tourism for its very existence even though it has its fair share of historical attractions. It has a vibrant river, an appealing waterside and close views and proximity to one of the UK's foremost National Parks.

As a lifelong fan who has never lived in the city, I have had spells in Fareham and Gosport and have strong family connections with the city, I disagree with your "If you do not live in or around Southampton then you have no claim to be a Saints fan nor be a member of this forum, there I said it!".  I do agree with you that Southampton has far more to offer than some think.  For the West Ham game two of my sons, two friends and myself stayed the weekend and had a great time.  It had been a long time since I had a night out in Southampton and none of us were disappointed.  My 2 sons are also Saints fans who have never lived in the city, one was sadly born in that shithole to the east. I think after 60 years I have a very good claim to be a Saints fan.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, berkshiresaint said:

Jeff Bezos  buys us & promises to invest at least £2billion in the club but changes the name to the Amazon Saints (or some such shite) would you be happy with this?

It has a nice ring to it. Not sure their money couldn't be better spent improving their employees working conditions though. They have the pennies for both.

30 minutes ago, Bobbyboy said:

Given the MK Dons precedent they MIGHT allow it *if* we also relocated to a large river basin in South America

Just what I was thinking. The FA would surely be aware of Saints historical links to South America. They'd also surely want to be part of Saints climate activism. 

Fortunately, we are in a good place to receive such a sponsorship deal.

RB Saints. Commemorating Ralph Ball and nothing to do with our new corporate partners.

21 hours ago, moonraker said:

As a lifelong fan who has never lived in the city, I have had spells in Fareham and Gosport and have strong family connections with the city, I disagree with your "If you do not live in or around Southampton then you have no claim to be a Saints fan nor be a member of this forum, there I said it!".  I do agree with you that Southampton has far more to offer than some think.  For the West Ham game two of my sons, two friends and myself stayed the weekend and had a great time.  It had been a long time since I had a night out in Southampton and none of us were disappointed.  My 2 sons are also Saints fans who have never lived in the city, one was sadly born in that shithole to the east. I think after 60 years I have a very good claim to be a Saints fan.

😉

On 18/10/2021 at 10:33, berkshiresaint said:

I'd quite like us to be called Bezoshampton. Jeff could then spitefully buy Fratton Park, level it, and ironically use it as a launch pad for Blue Origin.  Portsmouth residents could apply to be blasted into space to avoid unethical testing on chimpanzees.  Hopefully I will live to see this reality, along with a League cup win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I'd quite like us to be called Bezoshampton. Jeff could then spitefully buy Fratton Park, level it, and ironically use it as a launch pad for Blue Origin.  Portsmouth residents could apply to be blasted into space to avoid unethical testing on chimpanzees.  Hopefully I will live to see this reality, along with a League cup win. 

All of this is feasible, apart from the league cup win.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Burnley get more investment : https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58977697 😬

Not quite.  An American sportsman has bought a minority stake in the company that now owns Burnley.   

As for actual investment, my understanding is that Burnley has gone from a club with cash in the bank to one that has been taken over with debt finance, with at least some of that debt being taken on by the club.  Happy to be corrected if that's not the case

1 minute ago, Verbal said:

Not quite.  An American sportsman has bought a minority stake in the company that now owns Burnley.   

As for actual investment, my understanding is that Burnley has gone from a club with cash in the bank to one that has been taken over with debt finance, with at least some of that debt being taken on by the club.  Happy to be corrected if that's not the case

well played splitting hair on my initial jokey post 😬

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

Derby about to be taken over by an American billionaire.

possibly David Tepper with Glick. 
everyone else but us it seems.  

Good news for Derby. If Rooney doesn't win the league now he's a total failure.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

It’ll be similar to when Rupert Lowe was in charge. Whomever wants to invest has to promise to keep the current leadership team in place. 

I know plenty will disagree but we aren’t far off where we were with Rupert in charge. The club are still crap commercially, there is no money to invest, they don’t understand fans, and we celebrate things that are irrelevant to the football (see digital ‘content’ awards and nice hospitality whereas once it was a radio station and…hospitality). Rupert at least did put some great people in the academy, whether by fluke or design. 

Like good ol’ Rupes, they also think they’re brilliant and they’re the only ones who can do the job they do, and therefore probably wouldn’t step aside for a great investor who’d really make us a solid outfit. You can hear this when Semmens says we (as in he) have to find the right people and at its core, that means keeping him in charge. Maybe he’s the right person, maybe not but if he and his team had to step aside, would they do it for the benefit of the advancement of SFC? After all, he was the architect behind Gao buying us so why is he now so trusted to get this next move right? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

It’ll be similar to when Rupert Lowe was in charge. Whomever wants to invest has to promise to keep the current leadership team in place. 

I know plenty will disagree but we aren’t far off where we were with Rupert in charge. The club are still crap commercially, there is no money to invest, they don’t understand fans, and we celebrate things that are irrelevant to the football (see digital ‘content’ awards and nice hospitality whereas once it was a radio station and…hospitality). Rupert at least did put some great people in the academy, whether by fluke or design. 

Like good ol’ Rupes, they also think they’re brilliant and they’re the only ones who can do the job they do, and therefore probably wouldn’t step aside for a great investor who’d really make us a solid outfit. You can hear this when Semmens says we (as in he) have to find the right people and at its core, that means keeping him in charge. Maybe he’s the right person, maybe not but if he and his team had to step aside, would they do it for the benefit of the advancement of SFC? After all, he was the architect behind Gao buying us so why is he now so trusted to get this next move right? 

Your last paragraph is a bit of a leap into the unknown.

2 hours ago, saint lard said:

I dunno mate… I seem to recall we got taken over by a billionaire when we were in the lower leagues and in administration 

1 hour ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Until the current regime make managerial choices equivalent to Wigley, Gray, Poortvliet, then they're not comparable.

Also Lowe thought he knew it all whereas Gao has the humility to stay out of the football side

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Until the current regime make managerial choices equivalent to Wigley, Gray, Poortvliet, then they're not comparable.

Also Lowe thought he knew it all whereas Gao has the humility to stay out of the football side

Tbh Lowe was ahead of his time with sports science.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Jan Poortvliet was not a Rupert Lowe decision, he was appointed by Michael Wilde who was chairman in May 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/7427097.stm

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Jan Poortvliet was not a Rupert Lowe decision, he was appointed by Michael Wilde who was chairman in May 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/7427097.stm

Quite hard to pick the weeds on this one but as I understand it, Lowe was executive chairman and had identified Wotte a number of years earlier. Wilde backed the appointment of Poortvliet and was somewhat responsible as football chairman but I wouldn't assume he was the driving force behind it simply because he gave the press quote.

http://www.prostinternational.com/2021/03/09/mark-wotte-ruperts-message-was-clear-from-day-one-there-is-no-budget/

Wilde certainly didn't get his way when replacing Poortvliet:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/4357374.wilde-i-wanted-british-boss-for-saints/

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Read the article. 

The "article" you've linked is just some words off the press release the day he was appointed. Lowe was obviously behind appointment of the Dutch duo. As every fucker knows, including Poortvliet and Wotte themselves. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

And Pearson (who had a done a decent job keeping us up) was a Wilde appointment, which was why the ruddy-cheeked bastard couldn't wait to get rid of him and replace him with those two clowns.

Correct. I went corporate for the last game of the season and Pearson came in post game, it wa clear he’d been given his marching orders at that point and was less than happy.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 11:30, Charlie Wayman said:

.....and he built us a new stadium. Imagine of we were still stuck with the Dell🤯

That is a tad thin................he nearly buggered the whole lot up dicking around with Stoneham and stuff, everything was going down toilet until Southampton City Council galloped in to save the day with the St Marys site which was a bit messy for them to develop and not looking to be sold any time soon back then.