Jump to content

Fortress St Mary’s


Recommended Posts

We are finally starting to turnaround our pathetic home form.

1-0 City

1-1 Brighton

3-1 Sheff Utd

2-5 Spurs (although we smashed them first half)

2-0 WBA

2-0 Everton

2-0 Newcastle.

5W 1D 1L

 

I personally think part of the turnaround is having no stress from the fans as Ralph has mentioned. We often groan when the players pass side ways and back to McCarthy.

It’s good witnessing and reading the article on why they do it as they are drawing the opposition players towards the ball to create space.

The longer we stay away the better IMHO.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Assuming the BioNtec vaccine is made available to most older fans next spring, we should be getting back to some form of normality by the 2021-22 season. It will be interesting to see what happens to our performances when the stadium re-opens for next season. 

Hopefully they say you can only go to sports events if you've taken the vaccine, that should speed things up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

We are finally starting to turnaround our pathetic home form.

1-0 City

1-1 Brighton

3-1 Sheff Utd

2-5 Spurs (although we smashed them first half)

2-0 WBA

2-0 Everton

2-0 Newcastle.

5W 1D 1L

 

I personally think part of the turnaround is having no stress from the fans as Ralph has mentioned. We often groan when the players pass side ways and back to McCarthy.

It’s good witnessing and reading the article on why they do it as they are drawing the opposition players towards the ball to create space.

The longer we stay away the better IMHO.

 

We are definitely playing a more patient and better controlled build up, but still looking to attack with purpose and speed when we do attack. Last season we were much more direct at all times. 

In other words, we have added the ability to "break down" teams over recent weeks with technique and skill, not just with effort and pressure. 

I think that's partly tactical and testament to Ralph's work but maybe our success in transitioning to a new style has been helped by the players having a calmer environment to operate in. If you can feel tension then clearly there is more chance of taking the easy option on the ball or mis-executing the difficult option. I expect we will have a couple of games where it goes wrong and we get a bit of a bumming but it's definitely the way to go and a positive step forward.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Hopefully they say you can only go to sports events if you've taken the vaccine, that should speed things up.

Why do you need to take the vaccine? You are saying it should be mandatory then? If 60% of people take up the vaccine, then the other 40% will not be an issue. I am fine with the virus, already had it, told the missus where all the important stuff was, went a day without a fag and then woke up the next morning feeling better. I do not need a vaccine or want something that is usually been tested for 10 years but rolled out in one. Obviously all my choice but nothing to do with going to football. Or we carrying on with the totalitarian state that we are currently in?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, benjii said:

We are definitely playing a more patient and better controlled build up, but still looking to attack with purpose and speed when we do attack. Last season we were much more direct at all times. 

In other words, we have added the ability to "break down" teams over recent weeks with technique and skill, not just with effort and pressure. 

I think that's partly tactical and testament to Ralph's work but maybe our success in transitioning to a new style has been helped by the players having a calmer environment to operate in. If you can feel tension then clearly there is more chance of taking the easy option on the ball or mis-executing the difficult option. I expect we will have a couple of games where it goes wrong and we get a bit of a bumming but it's definitely the way to go and a positive step forward.

but i bet you're like most of us, shouting at the TV saying "just fucking boot it...." 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

We are finally starting to turnaround our pathetic home form.

1-0 City

1-1 Brighton

3-1 Sheff Utd

2-5 Spurs (although we smashed them first half)

2-0 WBA

2-0 Everton

2-0 Newcastle.

5W 1D 1L

 

I personally think part of the turnaround is having no stress from the fans as Ralph has mentioned. We often groan when the players pass side ways and back to McCarthy.

It’s good witnessing and reading the article on why they do it as they are drawing the opposition players towards the ball to create space.

The longer we stay away the better IMHO.

 

Have you got a link to that article? I'd be interested in reading it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate when people blame the fans for this. If that genuinely is the reason, that's on the players for being incredibly mentally frail, not us. Newcastle and West Ham fans are far more volatile when things aren't going their way at home. We're generally quite supportive, even if St Mary's isn't the loudest.

 

If a few middle class fans tutting into their prawn sandwiches upsets them then lord help us if we get into Europe and have to go to Galatasaray or Partizan Belgrade.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s more like we bought a right back that can play and Bertie being played and not playing Valery/Danso out of position remember Bournemouth home last season.
We aren’t mucking  about and play reasonably settled side ok Stephens had to fill in but that sort of proves point.Oh and Hojberg not passing to the opposition:-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I hate when people blame the fans for this. If that genuinely is the reason, that's on the players for being incredibly mentally frail, not us. Newcastle and West Ham fans are far more volatile when things aren't going their way at home. We're generally quite supportive, even if St Mary's isn't the loudest.

 

If a few middle class fans tutting into their prawn sandwiches upsets them then lord help us if we get into Europe and have to go to Galatasaray or Partizan Belgrade.

Agree that St Mary's isn't the most passionate of atmospheres, but the negativity from the stands was still there during our poor run at home a year ago.  Without it we have transformed so it kind of suggests that was a factor.  Also, we were generally OK in away games, perhaps because the crowd negativity was directed at the home team, not us.

The players do need to be mentally strong enough to cope with it though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Why do you need to take the vaccine? You are saying it should be mandatory then? If 60% of people take up the vaccine, then the other 40% will not be an issue. I am fine with the virus, already had it, told the missus where all the important stuff was, went a day without a fag and then woke up the next morning feeling better. I do not need a vaccine or want something that is usually been tested for 10 years but rolled out in one. Obviously all my choice but nothing to do with going to football. Or we carrying on with the totalitarian state that we are currently in?

I'm guessing from this post that you probably aren't socially orientated enough to dictate public health policy - "I'm alright init".

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I'm guessing from this post that you probably aren't socially orientated enough to dictate public health policy - "I'm alright init".

not quite sure what you mean, but 'I'm alright'? Yeah. Not sure what that has to do with vaccines and going to the footy?

And if you're thinking the current public health policy is working then you really have the wrong User Name.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})