Jump to content

COVID - Returning to St Mary's


Recommended Posts

Suspect the numbers are a lot lower than that, tbh. My understanding was that around 10,000 had renewed, but a number of those would have done so almost exclusively to guarantee retaining their seat for future seasons and would opt out of games this season (or at least in the early part of any return). I'd imagine it's a 1 in 2 shot if it was a pure ballot - I'd be slightly concerned, though, as someone who doesn't live in the area that the club might prioritise those who live in an SO postcode with a view to minimising the travel aspect of things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stevegrant said:

Suspect the numbers are a lot lower than that, tbh. My understanding was that around 10,000 had renewed, but a number of those would have done so almost exclusively to guarantee retaining their seat for future seasons and would opt out of games this season (or at least in the early part of any return). I'd imagine it's a 1 in 2 shot if it was a pure ballot - I'd be slightly concerned, though, as someone who doesn't live in the area that the club might prioritise those who live in an SO postcode with a view to minimising the travel aspect of things.

I'd definitely exclude anyone who buggered off to Dubai during Lockdown 2 from the list of supporters allowed back in.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Suspect the numbers are a lot lower than that, tbh. My understanding was that around 10,000 had renewed, but a number of those would have done so almost exclusively to guarantee retaining their seat for future seasons and would opt out of games this season (or at least in the early part of any return). I'd imagine it's a 1 in 2 shot if it was a pure ballot - I'd be slightly concerned, though, as someone who doesn't live in the area that the club might prioritise those who live in an SO postcode with a view to minimising the travel aspect of things.

You’d need 2 seats anyway after all those ribs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being party to meetings with club, they suggested more than 12k season ticket holders.

They also said they had contacted those season tickets holders and knew those who because of COVID  didn’t wish to attend or couldn’t due to medical conditions, around 12% of season ticket holders came into this category in October

they had planned for 8k fans allowed and were planning in those circumstances on rewarding fans who rarely  miss a home or away game or were long standing season ticket holders before any ballot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Some really promising news today for those wanting to get back into stadiums.

Whats the chances of Southampton being Tier 1? I'd guess we have about 12,000 season ticket holders who opted in to return, so would work out as 1 in 3 games we'd be able to go to...

image.png.1e0fcb10ba19903c32e6702f5f84d628.png
 

So unless the Skates are tier 3 they'll be back to their normal level.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Appy said:

I would be surprised if anyone from outside the local area will be eligible to go to games for a while, which is a pain for me living in London.

Hope not.  It may depend on what tier the area you live in is currently in.  Doesn't help me being in Manchester though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John D said:

Hope not.  It may depend on what tier the area you live in is currently in.  Doesn't help me being in Manchester though.

I hope not as well, but for example if you're travelling from Manchester it will mean travelling through different tiers to arrive in Southampton.

 

I travel to games from London by train so i would expect they wouldn't be too keen on that, it's all speculation though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please no. The last thing we need is 4000 of our ‘legendary’ support getting on the players backs.

Seriously, though, I can’t see how they wouldn’t prioritise SO postcodes. Those living outside the area fall to some extent into the same category as away supporters -and by all accounts they’re not being let back in just yet.

Edited by shurlock
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldsarum said:

Why priories SO postcodes over many nearby areas that have a even lower R rate?

We shouldn't let anyone in a PO postcode in.

SO goes most of the way through the Forest and up to Winchester. That's plenty of people to be filling the 4000 seats. Anyone else is just a glory hunter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We shouldn't let anyone in a PO postcode in.

SO goes most of the way through the Forest and up to Winchester. That's plenty of people to be filling the 4000 seats. Anyone else is just a glory hunter. 

F off, PO is not just Skate land. 🙂 

 

(though my postcode is SN these days)

Link to post
Share on other sites

God knows how saints will manage it, especially as they've already refunded Sheff Utd game to most / all season ticket holders, now looks like first game back. 

I'll be putting a big bet on us to lose whichever game we first have home fans in for, you just know we will. 

I hope I get allocated the itchen for Liverpool game so I can try to get a selfie with Klopp and take my sign asking Salah for his shirt. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We shouldn't let anyone in a PO postcode in.

SO goes most of the way through the Forest and up to Winchester. That's plenty of people to be filling the 4000 seats. Anyone else is just a glory hunter. 

I have been going to Saints for 54 years from a GU postcode, and have seen precious little glory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

I have been going to Saints for 54 years from a GU postcode, and have seen precious little glory.

Similarly I have been living in a PO postcode for 38 years and a season ticket holder for longer.  I doubt 'The Cat' ever saw Mick Mills play for us - let alone Martin Chivers,

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, Eric The Red said:

Similarly I have been living in a PO postcode for 38 years and a season ticket holder for longer.  I doubt 'The Cat' ever saw Mick Mills play for us - let alone Martin Chivers,

I was joking, I don't care where anyone lives. 

Who is this Mick Mills chap? I guess he must have played for us before football started in 1992. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Because there's a.... pandemic on.

Cant see how they can do this. There was a pandemic on when we purchased season tickets and there was no mention about postcodes at that point so can't introduce it now.

Someone mentioned above that most if not all season ticket holders have had man utd/Sheffield utd reimbursed. I havent, am I the only one?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Cant see how they can do this. There was a pandemic on when we purchased season tickets and there was no mention about postcodes at that point so can't introduce it now.

Someone mentioned above that most if not all season ticket holders have had man utd/Sheffield utd reimbursed. I havent, am I the only one?

I've still not got my refund for those games either - perhaps I'll give them a call and tell them to hold off on the Sheff utd one!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Cant see how they can do this. There was a pandemic on when we purchased season tickets and there was no mention about postcodes at that point so can't introduce it now.

Someone mentioned above that most if not all season ticket holders have had man utd/Sheffield utd reimbursed. I havent, am I the only one?

Nope - I've only had 4, Spurs, WBA, Everton, and Newcastle I would assume.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rallyboy said:

It will be interesting as the players and more importantly the ref will actually be able to hear individuals offering advice and feedback...

That happens in every non league game.

I'm sure that if a bunch of plasterers and plumbers can ignore it then your £100k a week Premier League player or pro ref will be fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Cat said:

That happens in every non league game.

I'm sure that if a bunch of plasterers and plumbers can ignore it then your £100k a week Premier League player or pro ref will be fine

Ref Graham Scott failed on that front in the Game against Everton season before last (When he found what felt about 2 hours of additIonal time after the 90 were up). Stuart Armstrong had the ball in the Everton half by the corner flag got properly taken out by an Everton player, they both end up on the deck and Scott gave Everton a free kick - Armstrong gave the ref his tuppence worth on the decision earning a yellow, everyone in the Chapel Itchen corner was also chipping in their personal thoughts on the decision and when the yellow was given the volume from the crowd increased even more. Then the weirdest thing happened all parties on the pitch were moving away but that corner of the crowd were still voicing their displeasure - suddenly Scott spun round took a couple of purposeful steps and just glared at the crowd - to the point where you honestly thought he was going to whip out the yellow card again and book everyone in that corner.

Quite a surreal moment to witness in a full stadium.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Ref Graham Scott failed on that front in the Game against Everton season before last (When he found what felt about 2 hours of additIonal time after the 90 were up). Stuart Armstrong had the ball in the Everton half by the corner flag got properly taken out by an Everton player, they both end up on the deck and Scott gave Everton a free kick - Armstrong gave the ref his tuppence worth on the decision earning a yellow, everyone in the Chapel Itchen corner was also chipping in their personal thoughts on the decision and when the yellow was given the volume from the crowd increased even more. Then the weirdest thing happened all parties on the pitch were moving away but that corner of the crowd were still voicing their displeasure - suddenly Scott spun round took a couple of purposeful steps and just glared at the crowd - to the point where you honestly thought he was going to whip out the yellow card again and book everyone in that corner.

Quite a surreal moment to witness in a full stadium.

That was Jon Moss.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a select panel that the club like to consult on these matters but don't think there's been much recently. 

Once the regional tiers are announced tomorrow Saints can start planning for 4000 (tier 1) 2000 (tier 2) or 0 (tier 3) 

Back in September the club asked us to opt in or out for the October and November games. That should be irrelevant now as many may have changed their minds so expect we'll be asked to do it again. 

First game back could be Sheff Utd, bit complicated that quite a few fans have already been refunded for that so not sure how that will work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How’s it fair for some clubs to have no fans and some to have fans?

We are going to be disadvantaged by not being in Tier 3 by having 2,000 moany old gits shouting “get it forward” and whinging.

Edited by benjii
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})