Jump to content

Saints vs Man Utd — Build-Up


Recommended Posts

Did I hear right, Man Utd haven't lost away in the league since January? They're form is incredible, not sure how but we need to play them as if it's old Trafford.  

Another game without Ings , I'd definitely take a point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Shaw is injured.

He meant in the car park, old scores to settle.

Utd look pretty average but feels like we always balls up against them recently no matter the form. Might take an insurance bet out on this one! 

Win it though to cement our place in the top 4...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

He meant in the car park, old scores to settle.

Utd look pretty average but feels like we always balls up against them recently no matter the form. Might take an insurance bet out on this one! 

Win it though to cement our place in the top 4...

Pah. Never bet against your team. Just wrong. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear Wolves more than I do united. But that said, they are a team with their backs against the wall and some quality players.

I'm sure we'll be well prepared and they definitely won't want to play us. Can see a 1-1 draw but you'd like to hope we can get all 3 points.

Link to post
Share on other sites

quite fancy our chances here with united having the extra game midweek. will also be interesting to see if kwp handles rashford and martial a bit better. last time they took turns running at him and tore him to shreds. our press needs to be absolutely on it for us to get anything from this, hopefully pogba starts as he never handles it

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

United looking excellent tonight. If they play like this and we play like we did against Wolves we won't get a sniff.

I think you need to look at the standard of opposition Utd were up against tonight . I am fairly certain that their CL form is much better than their PL form . I think that shows that the early stages of CL is only a money spinner for the big clubs with very little chance of them being eliminated. Every team in the PL (and probably most in the championship) would give the likes of Utd a much stiffer test than most of the "also rans" who are in the CL in the beginning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

I think you need to look at the standard of opposition Utd were up against tonight . I am fairly certain that their CL form is much better than their PL form . I think that shows that the early stages of CL is only a money spinner for the big clubs with very little chance of them being eliminated. Every team in the PL (and probably most in the championship) would give the likes of Utd a much stiffer test than most of the "also rans" who are in the CL in the beginning.

Totally agree with this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Their main threat, by far, is the ball from Fernandes over the top for runners to either get in behind or win a penalty.  I agree on man marking Fernandes and having a conservative defensive line, that should stifle them a fair bit, hopefully not also stifling us at the same time.

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

quite fancy our chances here with united having the extra game midweek. will also be interesting to see if kwp handles rashford and martial a bit better. last time they took turns running at him and tore him to shreds. our press needs to be absolutely on it for us to get anything from this, hopefully pogba starts as he never handles it

United were in scintillating form scoring four. With Redmond out, Theo with a damaged foot and no Ings we may struggle to contain them, I fear. Our midfield and defence will need to be at its very best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eelpie said:

United were in scintillating form scoring four. With Redmond out, Theo with a damaged foot and no Ings we may struggle to contain them, I fear. Our midfield and defence will need to be at its very best.

unless this is new, theo has a fractured a tiny bone in his hand which he has already played through once

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sad saints fan said:

I think you need to look at the standard of opposition Utd were up against tonight . I am fairly certain that their CL form is much better than their PL form . I think that shows that the early stages of CL is only a money spinner for the big clubs with very little chance of them being eliminated. Every team in the PL (and probably most in the championship) would give the likes of Utd a much stiffer test than most of the "also rans" who are in the CL in the beginning.

That would be the same Istanbul who beat Man U 2-1 on 4 November. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Have we ever beaten a team managed by Ole?

 

Can't be fooled by their league position, on their day they are a very good team.

Could have sworn we beat Cardiff when he was there, when Gazza had a surprisingly good game in goal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Could have sworn we beat Cardiff when he was there, when Gazza had a surprisingly good game in goal.

Yeah I think 2 or 3 to 0? I think Lambert scored if i recall

I think he was in charge at that point

Edited by Pickles
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, redandwhite82 said:

always difficult to predict games against Man Utd not because of the teams but because of the refs you never know what you are going to get
if it is just the teams then i reckon a close win for us, 1-0 or 2-1 but it depends on whether the ref behaves

Well the Ref for this one is Jonathan Moss - get in front and he will let it flow in our favour - just as importantly the VAR ref for this one is Martin Atkinson............some might consider that as The Slow being guided by The Blind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a look on RedCafe. They're very complimentary about us / Ralph. Some saying we are one of the best teams in world football at pressing. Most finding it a difficult call.   

A draw wouldn't be a bad result. If we can keep them down to 1 we have every chance. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant believe it's 17 years since we beat them at St Marys. The heady days of seeming to always beat them at home seem like a long time. 

The 6-3 win where they changed their shirts at half time one of the most memorable days of my life, went to see Nirvana at the Joiners that evening too.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Turkish said:

Cant believe it's 17 years since we beat them at St Marys. The heady days of seeming to always beat them at home seem like a long time. 

The 6-3 win where they changed their shirts at half time one of the most memorable days of my life, went to see Nirvana at the Joiners that evening too.

The 6-3 win clearly wasn't that memorable for you, as the shirt change was in the 3-1 win the previous year.

I was at both matches.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Utd at home has been a really tricky game for us since promotion, not beaten them at St Marys since we came back up.

Recall a number of games where we played really well but haven't won. The Van Persie hat trick game (shudder), 2-0 up when Hughes was in charge, both Koeman games (when we gifted Martial goals). Would be nice to put that straight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Cant believe it's 17 years since we beat them at St Marys. The heady days of seeming to always beat them at home seem like a long time. 

The 6-3 win where they changed their shirts at half time one of the most memorable days of my life, went to see Nirvana at the Joiners that evening too.

Really?!!!! That long?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Minsk said:

The 6-3 win clearly wasn't that memorable for you, as the shirt change was in the 3-1 win the previous year.

I was at both matches.

So was i, are you sure? I thought it was the 3-1 win Keane got sent off after about 20 minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Cant believe it's 17 years since we beat them at St Marys. The heady days of seeming to always beat them at home seem like a long time. 

The 6-3 win where they changed their shirts at half time one of the most memorable days of my life, went to see Nirvana at the Joiners that evening too.

Couldn't have been that memorable, the grey shirts fiasco was the previous season when we beat them 3-1

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Lighthouse locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})