Danny Ings

sisi1992

No, and doesn't sound like Ralph does either deep down.

Genuinely tough for Ings, I am sure. But imagine he could get moves to at least two of the top 6 on big money and with a chance to end his career winning stuff. Hard to turn down if you know its available.

But would be a huge, huge blow to Saints even the likely small fee we would get, goals we would miss and also the signal it sends Ralph and other key players. 

It's a bit of a mess how public this one is.

Dan's latest tweet, combined with another from earlier stating that "he wants to stay", makes me think it's all down to the club not providing Ings with the necessary assurances about our ambition. If that is the case, no blame to Danny whatsoever.

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Genuinely tough for Ings, I am sure. But imagine he could get moves to at least two of the top 6 on big money and with a chance to end his career winning stuff. Hard to turn down if you know its available.

But would be a huge, huge blow to Saints even the likely small fee we would get, goals we would miss and also the signal it sends Ralph and other key players. 

The huge issue for us is that the fee will be nominal in the grand scheme of things (30m tops, surely), so there's no way we could go out and replace him with anyone close to his level. We'd have to delve into some obscure market for someone who may 'mature' into a Danny Ings, whilst in the meantime we persist with Long and Adams (I rate Adams, but he's not the same type of player who will hit Ings numbers).

Big issue. Part of me is thinking we should just enjoy where we are at the mo, because we cannot sustain this without investment. Even more so now.

53 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Good performers. Long???

A relative term for him I would suggest!

Didn't he get a new contract based on his form under Koeman (when he scored....10 in a season I think?) And he was linked to Liverpool if I recall correctly.

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 1

We should get shot of Long this summer. I don’t care if he has a year left or if Danny leaves, the guy is a non entity to our play.

I’m not even sure he would do a good job in the Championship either. 
he is getting on and in one year will probably call it a day on his career.

seems like wasted opportunity we had last summer to bring in somebody that we could bed in progressively.

1 minute ago, stevy777_x said:

We should get shot of Long this summer. I don’t care if he has a year left or if Danny leaves, the guy is a non entity to our play.

I’m not even sure he would do a good job in the Championship either. 
he is getting on and in one year will probably call it a day on his career.

seems like wasted opportunity we had last summer to bring in somebody that we could bed in progressively.

To be fair you need one or two players like Long around the club. Been here a while, gets the club, bit of a role model for the youngsters. Was a bit like Kelvin Davis to towards the end, was only ever going to play in an emergency but his experience and commitment to the club meant he was important even if he wasn't up to it anymore. 

I’m optimistic, I personally feel like he may sign but with an agreed release clause if a bigger club comes in.

Ultimately he’s one of our biggest assets and we’re in allot of debt, whether he signs or not is no guarantee what so ever he’ll stay past the summer, probably the difference of getting an extra £10-£15m though. 

Enjoy him while you can, if he leaves this summer for £30m he’s been sensational value for money. 

It's classic Saints. Perform above expectations and then the vultures from other clubs seek to restore status quo by buying our best players, and we're back to where we started from. We should have pushed on the last time this happened but didn't. Villa pushed the boat out with Grealish. We should do the same. It's worth a lot in terms of sending signals out and is a false economy if our goals dry up and he goes for anything under £30m ( which we will squander again, potentially). Need that shiny white knight with bags of cash...

No chance. Ralph already alluding to the ‘financial’ problems caused by Covid, and so it starts. We’ll sell this summer whether Ings wants to leave or not. 

Edited by LGTL

It will be a shame and a blow if he leaves. But, no doubt, we'll find someone else, maybe not quite as good. But it was only a couple of years ago that many on here were saying that we shouldn't have committed to buy him when we took him on loan.  Looks like an excellent bit of business now.  

14 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Why would he want a release fee in the new contract when he could leave currently for lower than that release fee would be. He could just run down the contract and make much more than signing one with a release fee in. 

i guess if he sings a 4 year deal with us hes done - thats his career done - not a problem but it sort of signals the route to the end. He will have an idea of where he could move now on a free - reality is his best club is either second fiddle (which he prob wont want) or spurs if Kane leaves. Basically hes in the best place for him at the moment so wants to sign and tie his future down. But - if he has a scorching 12 months from now then who knows what opportunities may come up to win trophys as a starter and i can understand not wanting to writ that off now  

If you look at the situation realistically, who would he join? Liverpool, even though Klopp suggests he loves him, would be a strange signing to go back. City, don't think he is a big enough name for them. United, probably similar to City. Spurs, maybe if they don't win anything and Kane realises he never will at Spuds. Chelsea, they just love spunking money away on foreign players. Arsenal, not the force they once were, but a better option in terms of money. If he was to go my money would be on Leicester, Vardy isn't going to last forever and he is the type of player that would fit in with them. For what it's worth, I think he is going to leave. Furthermore, if he is haggling over a release clause, what kind of message does that send out to us as fans? Would his commitment be called into question? Will Ralph full him from the tam in the same way he dealt with PEH?

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Really? I am not so sure, he is what 29 and probably close to 30 by the time he leaves. Who is going to pay 30M+ in the current crisis. All clubs are struggling with income including the top 6. Spurs are the only one that come to mid, but Levy will not pay anywhere near what we will look for and is being backup for Kane a move up?

Will he be any better off outside the top 6 than he is here? Very much doubt it. Think it's just agent trying to get the most money. If not and he wants to leave than fine, we will have to replace him sooner or later (max 3 years) in any case.

1 hour ago, Dan Johnson said:

I’m optimistic, I personally feel like he may sign but with an agreed release clause if a bigger club comes in.

Ultimately he’s one of our biggest assets and we’re in allot of debt, whether he signs or not is no guarantee what so ever he’ll stay past the summer, probably the difference of getting an extra £10-£15m though. 

Enjoy him while you can, if he leaves this summer for £30m he’s been sensational value for money. 

This is exactly how I see it.

as with Bertie, staying at Saints just seems the right fit. Very tricky finding the finance he will no doubt want. We've already mortgaged the clubs future somewhat. I guess we need to do everything we can to ensure we keep the Prem money wheel spinning to pay that debt off.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, LGTL said:

No chance. Ralph already alluding to the ‘financial’ problems caused by Covid, and so it starts. We’ll sell this summer whether Ings wants to leave or not. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Unfortunately this seems the likely scenario.

If he does not want to leave they can not force him. They aren't holding a gun to his head!

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It's a bit of a mess how public this one is.

Dan's latest tweet, combined with another from earlier stating that "he wants to stay", makes me think it's all down to the club not providing Ings with the necessary assurances about our ambition. If that is the case, no blame to Danny whatsoever.

Our ambition? FFS, we are trying to stay in business. Lower your expectations, Danny, and your wage demands as well. We have to pay back the £80M emergency loan by 2025 and £7M loan interest per year until then. We don't have spare cash lying around. Want to go back to Liverpool's bench then?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

We have to pay back the £80M emergency loan by 2025 and £7M loan interest per year until then.

No we don't. Repayments start in 2025, not repay by 2025.

"Nothing to repay until 2025" - Toby Steele from 5:4https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p093tbpp

Edited by Matthew Le God

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he does not want to leave they can not force him. They aren't holding a gun to his head!

Ings doesn't have to "want to leave" for us to accept a bid, and for him, in turn, to accept that and move on.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Ings doesn't have to "want to leave" for us to accept a bid, and for him, in turn, to accept that and move on.

You have taken my post completely out of context. I was responding to the claim that Saints would sell him even if he did not want to leave. If Ings does not want to leave, Saints can not force him. 

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

You have taken my post completely out of context. I was responding to the claim that Saints would sell him even if he did not want to leave. If Ings does not want to leave, Saints can not force him. 

But we can sell him, he can "not want to leave" but still go. All those things can be true.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

How do you sell someone who refuses to sign a contract with another club?

Show me where I said anything about him "refusing" to do anything.

I'm not talking about refusing, and you are, plus using words like "forced".

Read what I've actually written.

Life is abit more complicated than your little computer games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not out of context you were just wrong, yet again 

D3FCD3E6-828A-488A-B551-D4898981F6C2.jpeg

Just now, CB Fry said:

Show me where I said anything about him "refusing" to do anything.

I'm not talking about refusing, and you are, plus using words like "forced".

Read what I've actually written.

Life is abit more complicated than your little computer games.

1) You continue to take it out of context of what my original post was replying to. It said "We’ll sell this summer whether Ings wants to leave or not". If he does not want to leave, then he would not sign a contract with another club.

2) You final sentence is pathetic and petty.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How do you sell someone who refuses to sign a contract with another club?

to be fair, if no contract is signed, is the player not thinking that `the club doesn't value me enough' and perhaps will be looking for a move?

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

1) You continue to take it out of context of what my original post was replying to. It said "We’ll sell this summer whether Ings wants to leave or not". If he does not want to leave, then he would not sign a contract with another club.

2) You final sentence is pathetic and petty.

Oh you’re hurting 

DF872CF0-4785-4F73-BBF2-73F4DC21C621.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not out of context you were just wrong, yet again 

🙄

200.gif

My post was responding to the claim...

"We’ll sell this summer whether Ings wants to leave or not".

That is the context of my reply! That is the point my post was responding to, not the twisted version CB Fry and yourself think I was talking about.

If he does not want to leave, then he would not sign a contract with another club. A club can't force a player to sign a contract against his will.

Edited by Matthew Le God

also, should we start touting him around and agreeing to fee - how `wanted' is he going to feel. You can `force' his way of thinking, which helps push a move that previously may not have been wanted. In the end he will want X million a year and if we don't find it then he will be forced to accept that or look for anther club. 

Lets hope it all works out.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

🙄

200.gif

"We’ll sell this summer whether Ings wants to leave or not".

If he does not want to leave, then he would not sign a contract with another club. A club can't force a player to sign a contract against his will.

I didn’t say that. opps wrong again

384F6DDB-4856-4AFB-9424-B15B2B4782B4.jpeg

1 minute ago, Chez said:

also, should we start touting him around and agreeing to fee - how `wanted' is he going to feel. You can `force' his way of thinking, which helps push a move that previously may not have been wanted. In the end he will want X million a year and if we don't find it then he will be forced to accept that or look for anther club. 

Lets hope it all works out.

You can list dozens of players who don’t want to leave but they do, for many different reasons. Unfortunately MLGs knowledge of football is limited to spreadsheets. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings