Danny Ings

sisi1992

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Really? That's the first I heard about that. If true, the ruddy-cheeked bastard is a bigger idiot than I thought. Talk about being penny wise, pound foolish.

Mr Beattie told me himself !

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

It’s true. I had a lot of contacts in the club at the time. To be fair Beattie hadn’t had a particularly good season but his stock was still high and we could get good money for him at the time. Plus we had Crouch and Phillips plus Camara came in on loan so the idea was to sell him and let Redknapp rebuild. We missed out on quite a few players though, think Dawson and Reid from Forest were the main ones who would have made a big difference, they both ended up at Spurs. So we were left with Crap like Davenport and Bernard. 

So what you're saying is we sold a player and he joined another club but he didn't really want to leave?

Funny that. I was lead to believe by the spreadsheet computer game expert that this kind of thing could only happen by "forcing" them out "against their will".

It looks like the very best we will get is he signs a contract extension for 3/4/whatever years but with a £20m release clause, but only activated in the summer of 2022, therefore he plays out the time of his original contract and then goes for £20m

If its a release clause active this summer then we might as well just sell him this summer for whatever, and forget the idea that he has any real interest in staying.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So what you're saying is we sold a player and he joined another club but he didn't really want to leave?

Funny that. I was lead to believe by the spreadsheet computer game expert that this kind of thing could only happen by "forcing" them out "against their will".

Indeed, Who’d Have thought real life might be slightly different.

4 hours ago, fanimal said:

He will be worth 3-4 places in the League for us so reward him for that as an incentive no harm in paying him a % of the place money 

the Prem prize money will be fully factored into the £150k a week wages (or whatever it is) that we have offered.

2 hours ago, Saint Pete said:

Yes, at his stage of career, doing a Van Dijk and having a sulk for 6 months or a season is not really an option if he wants a move to a top 4 team. And I honestly don't think he's the type either. He may kick up a bit in the summer if he knows a big team is interested but if made to stay he would knuckle down in my opinion because it's in his interest to do so.

Maybe. Eriksson, at a similar stage of his career at Spurs had a bit of a sulk, played like shit for months, but still got his move to Inter. 

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Not correct. Redknapp was told he had to sell either Beattie or Niemi and he chose to sell Beattie. Beattie never wanted to leave at that time.

I did not know that. I thought there was big money available if he moved and he wanted that. I didn't realise he was happy to stay. Good to know. 

He hadn't been great, so I can see why Bagpuss chose him - I assume to raise funds to bring in shit like Bernard? I guess the money did help pay for Camara's loan too, for which I am thankful. 

5 hours ago, CB Fry said:

It looks like the very best we will get is he signs a contract extension for 3/4/whatever years but with a £20m release clause, but only activated in the summer of 2022, therefore he plays out the time of his original contract and then goes for £20m

If its a release clause active this summer then we might as well just sell him this summer for whatever, and forget the idea that he has any real interest in staying.

That would be a reasonable compromise. If the club offers that and he refuses then it would mean he wants to leave soon, and as others have said the release clause talk is basically a load of bollocks, just an attempt to make it appear otherwise.

Lots of talk about bids of around £16million coming in for Josh King who has 6 months left on his contract.

Think we need to hold our nerve with this one, don’t change our contract offer and refuse to sell now or in the summer.

Ings can see what options are available to him this time next year. Suspect it won’t be Champions League clubs coming in for a player about to turn 30 with a chequered injury history but more likely a West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves or he’ll have the choice to sign a contract with us.

So Spurs have told Ings the most they will stump up this summer is £15m-£20m. Saints have told Ings the minimum they will sell for is £30m. Levy being Levy will not budge even though Ings is worth more which means we have a stand off which is destabilising a good season. If Saints had money I would like them to say to Ings see out your contract until 2022 and take the risk no one will want a 30-year old, or pay serious money at least.

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

So Spurs have told Ings the most they will stump up this summer is £15m-£20m. Saints have told Ings the minimum they will sell for is £30m. Levy being Levy will not budge even though Ings is worth more which means we have a stand off which is destabilising a good season. If Saints had money I would like them to say to Ings see out your contract until 2022 and take the risk no one will want a 30-year old, or pay serious money at least.

I'd rather he left on a free next summer than for us to sell him to Spurs for £15 million! 

17 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Fact or speculation? Certainly sounds like a Levy tactic.

22 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'd rather he left on a free next summer than for us to sell him to Spurs for £15 million! 

This. The probable additional PL prize money would cover circa £15m, surely?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Ings would be taking a bit of a risk himself running his contract down.  Especially with his chequered history of injuries.

He seems more than happy here though.  I reckon he’ll sign.

30 minutes ago, trousers said:

This. The probable additional PL prize money would cover circa £15m, surely?

That's on the assumption that the player we bring in to replace him doesn't score any goals whatsoever which dont win us any points. Maybe we could get the money for Ings and the additional prize money? (yes i know we'd have to use some of it to sign a replacement but we would anyway with only the prize money)

Edited by Turkish

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

It’s true. I had a lot of contacts in the club at the time. To be fair Beattie hadn’t had a particularly good season but his stock was still high and we could get good money for him at the time. Plus we had Crouch and Phillips plus Camara came in on loan so the idea was to sell him and let Redknapp rebuild. We missed out on quite a few players though, think Dawson and Reid from Forest were the main ones who would have made a big difference, they both ended up at Spurs. So we were left with Crap like Davenport and Bernard. 

We were very strongly linked with Dawson and Reid at the time I remember too. Dawson did well but Reid quickly fell out of favour and his career nose dived. He may have been a better player had he joined us, just  like Piper choosing Sunderland,

I am not in the know at all, but this reeks of Daniel Levy to me. You may say that Spurs don't need Ings, but I don't agree. 

Spurs clearly wanted him in the Summer and with Kane playing a deeper role and does have the odd long term injury, it makes perfect sense that Spurs would want Ings. You will all say "why would he go to sit on the bench", that is rubbish too. Ings obviously backs himself and whether you like Jose or not, he has the manager wow factor and players will want to play for him. If you also don't think Ings has spoken to Hojbjeg, then you are deluded. Players speak to each other and Ings has no loyalty to us at all. 

I think this is a Levy tactic to pick up Ings on the cheap in the Summer, no way saints will let him go for a free. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChrisPY said:

Lots of talk about bids of around £16million coming in for Josh King who has 6 months left on his contract.

Think we need to hold our nerve with this one, don’t change our contract offer and refuse to sell now or in the summer.

Ings can see what options are available to him this time next year. Suspect it won’t be Champions League clubs coming in for a player about to turn 30 with a chequered injury history but more likely a West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves or he’ll have the choice to sign a contract with us.

Sell Ings in the summer and get King on a free?

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Sounds like a negotiating position on both sides. Expect him to go for £25m

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

That's on the assumption that the player we bring in to replace him doesn't score any goals whatsoever which dont win us any points. Maybe we could get the money for Ings and the additional prize money? (yes i know we'd have to use some of it to sign a replacement but we would anyway with only the prize money)

Fair point sir

His goals alone could be worth more than 20m next season. I’d tell Tottenham to stick it. If Ing’s wants to take the risk of going into next season on a short not very highly paid( for an EPL proven goal scorer ) contract, that’s his choice....

“I hear all different things said about Danny Ings’ contract. It’s obviously a delicate situation, I think the club realises it’s a delicate situation. This is their star player and you could be going into the summer where he’s got a year left on his contract.

“Southampton have offered him a contract that would see him become their highest-earning player. That offer’s on the table and it hasn’t been signed yet. So why hasn’t it been signed? Does Danny Ings think he can go back to a big club? Does he think that a Man City might come in for him? Maybe they might, maybe they won’t. Is that something that’s holding his contract up? If you’re Danny Ings, do you sign a contract that you know, with your injury record and your age – he’s 28, so if he signs a four-year deal, is a Man United going to want to pay £80-85 million on a player that’s had two ACL injuries and will have absolutely no sell-on value whatsoever? The answer is no, they won’t.

“Let’s say he gets to the summer and he’s got one year left and he’s not going to sign the contract, will United pay £30 million for Danny Ings? For a striker that can come in and do a job and you know he’s going to score you goals. United have got that money to spend, so yeah, they absolutely would, I would imagine.

“He’s a good option, he’s an England international and he’s fantastic, his work-rate is fantastic, everything about Danny, as a footballer, is brilliant. And he’s a brilliant guy as well. So they’re the kind of dilemmas that you’ve got that make it a bit more nuanced than just ‘will he sign or won’t he sign.'”

Edited by Master Bates

Aside from the risk of catastrophic injury between now and June, he's holding all the cards. He'll either get a move to a big club in the summer (through a last-year lowball or a lowball release clause allowing them to sign him as very decent backup) or in the unlikely event that no one wants him, he'll get a decent enough contract offer from us. He's got almost zero incentive to sign anything  before then.

3 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Aside from the risk of catastrophic injury between now and June, he's holding all the cards. He'll either get a move to a big club in the summer (through a last-year lowball or a lowball release clause allowing them to sign him as very decent backup) or in the unlikely event that no one wants him, he'll get a decent enough contract offer from us. He's got almost zero incentive to sign anything  before then.

Apart from (I suppose) an immediate hike in his wages and a fanbase that would swoon at his feet.

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Agreed, suggesting offering a player a co-captain or striker leader role could be considered either.

I deleted my post because it was abusive but the idea of co-captains happnes in rugby. I've cut and posted an example.

I don't mind a lame attempt to mock me, but I would prefer if you got your facts right first before you try.

January 29, 2019

CANE AND RETALLICK ANNOUNCED AS CO-CAPTAINS FOR 2019

Gallagher Chiefs Head Coach Colin Cooper announced today lock Brodie Retallick will join loose forward Sam Cane as co-captain of the Gallagher Chiefs for the upcoming Investec Super Rugby season.

The Mourinho comments are a thinly veiled attempt to hide interest.

Yes Kane is no1 striker.

Yes Son is no 3 striker.

But the no2 striker Vinicius is only on loan has an option of approx £35m and Mourinho seemingly doesn't rate him if game time is anything to go on, so very unlikely they would be signing him permanently.

Mourinho favours experienced players and if they can save 10m by going for Ings whilst also upping the homegrown number - its an absolute no brainer move.

On 20/01/2021 at 18:53, Matthew Le God said:

When did I say I didn't know their abilities? I'm not saying they weren't very good players, they clearly were. I also witnessed first hand them both playing for Saints. I'm just saying I think Ings is a level above them both in quality. But we are always going to have issues when comparing goalkeepers, left backs and strikers.

Why is there anything different in what position they play if they have or had more potential than Ings.Remember a  lot on here didn't want the injury crocked player to start with (me for one),and hes done well but there are better players as some that have already been mentioned. If you cant see that some were exceptional players then quite frankly your blinkered to your own views. Mick Channon? one of my all time favs,was gutted when he left didnt he used to be on the banner for this forum? alongside Keegan?.This site is for fans opinion yes? or just for trying to score points off of each others post?.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Semmens says Ings will see out contract at saints at least. 

all sounds very positive, but equally he isn't signing any contract until the summer and at that point, with just 12 months left, the pressure starts to build and decisions have to be made about whether or not to allow an asset to leave for nothing. When £20m bids come in and Ings says he wont renew, then phrases like being here until the end of his contract may be in the distant past. We shall see.

I interpret the Semmens comments as Ings intending to run his contract down to keep his options open, which he is perfectly entitled to.

Happy at the club and professional but no intention to sign a new deal at this stage.

Not really sure his comments can be interpreted as good news or bad news, its basically confirming much of what has been reported.

Very similar comments to those said re Hojbjerg's contract and situation.

Perhaps a compromise would be a sensible release clause that becomes valid summer 2022? Therefore we get 18months from him at which point he can move and we get our investment back to allow us to replace him.

Edited by Dusic

Danny’s assist play has been shocking. Always prefer him to be the last man but when he’s not he under-hits, scuffs the pass plus just passes to the opposition. If he was not so good at scoring goals for us he would be the next boo boy.

Edited by Pilchards

The important point to me in his interview was probably stating what we already suspect:

..... words to the effect that if a club offers a huge amount ..we can't stop that process happening.... but in this situation [Ings] we're not in that position at this point...

As good as the interview was, and Semmens did come across as trying to be fairly open, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions other than don't rely on the guff in the press and media.

Don't mind being a stepping stone to Real Madrid Martin as you mention Martin(and can tolerate Utd, City, or even pains me to say it, Liverpool providing they pay a decent ££) but most of us get pissed off seeing players going to the likes of 'the norf london yobbos' to quote one of your predecessors.

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Danny’s assist play has been us shocking. Always prefer him to be the last man but when he’s not he under-hits, scuffs the pass plus just passes to the opposition. If he was not so good at scoring goals for us he would be the next boo boy.

I think his goalscoring puts him in credit and we can forgive him a few errors though...

Is that one of the first ''He's not that good anyway, take the money' posts...?

He's class in all elements of his game up front, he creates chances out of nothing and some of his close control in and around the box to bring others into play is second to none. He's struggled with a bit of consistency this season, but go back to last season and he was incredible in all areas of his game. Priceless to us.

14 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Danny’s assist play has been us shocking. Always prefer him to be the last man but when he’s not he under-hits, scuffs the pass plus just passes to the opposition. If he was not so good at scoring goals for us he would be the next boo boy.

that feels harsh, but will be interesting to watch him in the next few weeks to see how often that happens as you might be right. For me he sees the right ball all the time and he goes for it. It often doesn't pay off (it is the most congested area of the pitch, so that is bound to happen) or he doesn't execute correctly. Others don't even see the pass or by the time they do, its gone. 

For me, his all round game is top quality. His first touch is fantastic and it provides the space and opportunity. Without that first touch, you are closed down and gaps close. The trick today when he spins round the defender is a sign of a player at the top of his game. He's no Henry, but he has more to his game than shooting well.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings