Danny Ings

sisi1992

3 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

We rescued him from obscurity at Liverpool and this is how he thanks us. 

You're acting like he was some unknown entity when we signed him, he already had an England cap, the move to us worked for all parties.

If he goes, he goes.

• Like 1

I think we are all re-signed to him going and i would not begrudge him if it was a move to City where he will easily double his wages and pretty much guarantee trophies. Please just don't go back to Liverpool or to Spurs....that I couldn't stomach.

I'm now assuming our fantastic scouting network are lining up replacements as we speak (tongue firmly in mouth!)

Edited by BARCELONASAINT

20 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Or it could be that the vast majority of people acknowledge he is a good player, would be a big loss for us - but are (fairly) pointing out that since the contract thing has come to a head, his form has not been very good. 

Or it could be that the vast majority of people acknowledge he is a good player, would be a big loss for us - but are (fairly) pointing out that since the contract thing has come to a head he has been injured and had Covid and that this is the reason for his poor form. Why can't people listen to, understand and believe Semmens and what Ralph has said. I know we have had problems in the past with the Club not telling the truth but there is no reason so far to doubt Semmens and Ralph. The bloke is recovering from injury and illness.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Or it could be that the vast majority of people acknowledge he is a good player, would be a big loss for us - but are (fairly) pointing out that since the contract thing has come to a head he has been injured and had Covid and that this is the reason for his poor form. Why can't people listen to, understand and believe Semmens and what Ralph has said. I know we have had problems in the past with the Club not telling the truth but there is no reason so far to doubt Semmens and Ralph. The bloke is recovering from injury and illness.   

You don't know the reason for his poor form, none of us do, but his being unsettled is just as likely as his being on the comeback trail. It could be a bit of both. 

Whatever the reason, he's been pretty shit recently and needs to raise his game. 

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s not good enough for City. If he goes it’ll be Spurs, Everton, Leicester or West Ham.

He fits as a stop gap between losing Aguero this year and getting Haaland in 2022. Too expensive to be a backup to Kane and wouldn't be interested in any of the others.

12 hours ago, danjosaint said:

And would outscore jesus, £30m plus zinchenco should do it 

I am assumed you want Zinchenco because he is playing at LB or RB

Zinchenco is actually a midfielder / 10 being forced to play at LB to get games 

if he moves do you not think he would want to go back to his natural position and to another big side

if he doesn't then would love him

1 hour ago, le_tiss said:

I am assumed you want Zinchenco because he is playing at LB or RB

Zinchenco is actually a midfielder / 10 being forced to play at LB to get games 

if he moves do you not think he would want to go back to his natural position and to another big side

if he doesn't then would love him

I think he could be good for us, but doubt it will happen.  He isnt really good enough for City, but they appear to have run out of patience with Mendy.  I think they will replace for a new LB in the summer, but Zinchenko not good enough for top 6 in the EPL - He isnt good enough going forward, which is what a Top 6 side need, particularly Top 2, and his defensive work is all a bit meh.

Yeah - think Zinchenko will be out the door this summer, so would be tempting that's for sure, especially is Bertrand is not going to sign a new contract.  Or Angelino seems to be having a good season at Leipzig.

Another option could be Patrick Roberts, although not sure he's good enough.

I'm not convinced he is going to leave. Put yourself in one of the top club's position. He is a 28 year old striker with a history of injury issues and has had 1 full season of  exceptional form in the premier league. I'm sure if he can bang goals in from now until the end of the season someone will take that risk. But if he continues his current form then I think it is way more likely they will just pass and go for a younger option

6 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I'm not convinced he is going to leave. Put yourself in one of the top club's position. He is a 28 year old striker with a history of injury issues and has had 1 full season of  exceptional form in the premier league. I'm sure if he can bang goals in from now until the end of the season someone will take that risk. But if he continues his current form then I think it is way more likely they will just pass and go for a younger option

Or they would see it as being his form has dipped because our whole team's form, structure and control of games has dipped.

Put him in a better team and he would score consistently IMO.

Besides, at £20m or thereabouts in a pandemic impacted tranafer market he is extremely low risk.

19 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah - think Zinchenko will be out the door this summer, so would be tempting that's for sure, especially is Bertrand is not going to sign a new contract.  Or Angelino seems to be having a good season at Leipzig.

He’s not a left back though, just filling in there. The only chance we’d have would be if City went and bought a decent LB, told OZ he wouldn’t get any game time at all and we promised him regular game time playing AM. It’s still unlikely but I’d much prefer that to signing Walcott permanently.

2 hours ago, Cartman said:

Swap for Angeliño and Jack Harrison

Both good players that would do a decent job for saints. It would cause a small issue in that we'd be selling our only decent goal scorer and have no cash to replace him with though .... 🙈

Edited by Saint86

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s not a left back though, just filling in there. The only chance we’d have would be if City went and bought a decent LB, told OZ he wouldn’t get any game time at all and we promised him regular game time playing AM. It’s still unlikely but I’d much prefer that to signing Walcott permanently.

Plus all the other better clubs, with more money, not wanting him as well. 

Apart from all that, could happen.

5 minutes ago, SFC-TID! said:

Ings to City?

20million and Liam Delap would be fine. 

No other PL side will lose their best striker this summer for £20m and an Academy player.

It may happen, but wouldn't be "fine".

Edited by Dusic

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

No other PL side will lose their best striker this summer for £20m and an Academy player.

It may happen, but wouldn't be "fine".

When you realise how good Delap is and will become, it would be fine. 

Ings is running down his contract, just like he’s done before, and we will either have to sell him for a reduced price or let him leave for free. 

I honestly hope he stays but I just can’t see it. So getting a wonder kid and some money would be great. 

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Both good players that would do a decent job for saints. It would cause a small issue in that we'd be selling our only decent goal scorer and have no cash to replace him with though .... 🙈

Exactly. Make it Bamford and Harrison and as many other Leeds players as we can entice. They are all fit and oven-ready for Ralph's system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Exactly. Make it Bamford and Harrison and as many other Leeds players as we can entice. They are all fit and oven-ready for Ralph's system.

I mean, I think this is unlikely, somehow

I wouldn't be too worried or upset if Ings goes. He was brilliant last season but before and after that he's been bang average. Lets not forget start of last season he was on the bench and we were starting with Adams.  Looking at the facts rather than emotion he'll be 29 in a few months, a history of injuries, if the club are going to tie him into a big last contract to keep him it's going to be a long term one on a lot of money for a player who will likely start to decline quite soon into it. He's had a brilliant season for us not not reached those levels since. It might be a good time for a parting of ways on both side. 

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I wouldn't be too worried or upset if Ings goes. He was brilliant last season but before and after that he's been bang average. Lets not forget start of last season he was on the bench and we were starting with Adams.  Looking at the facts rather than emotion he'll be 29 in a few months, a history of injuries, if the club are going to tie him into a big last contract to keep him it's going to be a long term one on a lot of money for a player who will likely start to decline quite soon into it. He's had a brilliant season for us not not reached those levels since. It might be a good time for a parting of ways on both side. 

He's certainly not looked himself since Villa away when he picked up that knee injury.  Probably a mix of his injury, covid and contract talks on his mind, has contributed to his poor form ever since.  Something is telling me, he's going to expect a top side to come in, and he ends up in a Fonte situation, and goes to West Ham / Newcastle / VIlla / Leeds.

6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's certainly not looked himself since Villa away when he picked up that knee injury.  Probably a mix of his injury, covid and contract talks on his mind, has contributed to his poor form ever since.  Something is telling me, he's going to expect a top side to come in, and he ends up in a Fonte situation, and goes to West Ham / Newcastle / VIlla / Leeds.

Or he'll get a big move, go there for a season and end up at West Ham.

41 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Be interesting to see if he is cast aside like PEH was when he made it pretty obvious he wasn't going to sign. Maybe the fact that he isn't captain will save him from that fate.

We don't have a long list of quality experienced forwards to replace him with. Romeu played very well when given the chance and was subsequently in the team on merit.  if Ings falls out totally with Saints on the contract extension, I just can't see Adams & N'Lundulu offering that level of replacement, so would expect him to continue to play until he leaves.  It appears that Walcott is out for a while, so another alternative is no longer available either. 

20 hours ago, Turkish said:

This. Ill be sad to see him go as we're better with him. But in a year or 2 he'll be on the slippery slope. Dont get me wrong he still has the capability to be great, but not for 4 years.

On 09/02/2021 at 23:20, Saint Garrett said:

angelino - great player. no chance of joining whatsoever. 

17 hours ago, LeG said:

Would go for Balogun if Ings leaves. Very similar players.

Exactly the sort of player we should be going for, if our strategy is to buy, develop, sell. However, I think he’ll go to a club bigger than us abroad. 

Also; a big risk replacing our only goal threat with a young lad. Feel like we’d need him to complement another striker who’s perhaps a bit more proven. 

Sack off Theo, very average. 

4 hours ago, darren2 said:

This. Ill be sad to see him go as we're better with him. But in a year or 2 he'll be on the slippery slope. Dont get me wrong he still has the capability to be great, but not for 4 years.

It may be the case that he'll carrying on scoring 20 a season for another 4 years, but given his track record and age i think it's much more likely that in 2 years time many will be on here criticising the club for giving a big, long term deal to a over the hill player with a poor fitness record based on one good season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It may be the case that he'll carrying on scoring 20 a season for another 4 years, but given his track record and age i think it's much more likely that in 2 years time many will be on here criticising the club for giving a big, long term deal to a over the hill player with a poor fitness record based on one good season.

Thats the point when we sell him to West Ham, or Newcastle (they love a no 9 in the North East, according to reports).

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings