Danny Ings

sisi1992

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Just to add insult to injury, lets not forget Liverpool are entitled to a % of any sale. Not totally sure but got a feeling it may be as high as 20%. 

(Straight swap with Minamino then !!).

Won't that be to our benefit? As we will want a higher fee to cover that and make sure we still make a profit, he only has a year and a half left on his contact if we can get 30 million now then we should probably take it 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Just to add insult to injury, lets not forget Liverpool are entitled to a % of any sale. Not totally sure but got a feeling it may be as high as 20%. 

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Won't that be to our benefit? As we will want a higher fee to cover that and make sure we still make a profit, he only has a year and a half left on his contact if we can get 30 million now then we should probably take it 

We'd benefit from there not being a sell on clause, not from there being one.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

How does Liverpool having a sell on clause benefit us? Are you suggesting that it will spur us on to agreeing a higher fee than we otherwise would have done with whoever we sell him to and it is therefore a good thing that a sell on clause was inserted into his contract? 

Edited by stknowle

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

How does Liverpool having a sell on clause benefit us? Are you suggesting that it will spur us on to agreeing a higher fee than we otherwise would have done with whoever we sell him to and it is therefore a good thing that a sell on clause was inserted into his contract? 

That would depend on the wording of the clause if we had any sense it would be 20% of any profit we make. I’ve never understood a sell on clause being enforced if you make a loss on a player.

8 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

That would depend on the wording of the clause if we had any sense it would be 20% of any profit we make. I’ve never understood a sell on clause being enforced if you make a loss on a player.

Fair point, I have absolutely no idea how the sell on clause in DI's contract is structured (or even if there is one). I'd always assumed these things were based on a flat percentage of whatever the player gets sold on for, certainly would have thought that's what the original selling club would be looking for. 

17 hours ago, Dusic said:

Thats the point when we sell him to West Ham, or Newcastle (they love a no 9 in the North East, according to reports).

It's true. They do love a no 9 in the North East, we've been told it many times. Who'd have thought supporters of a football club would love a striker who scores goals. They really are a special bunch who love their football up there. 

15 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

It was Les Reed who negotiated the deal don't forget.

On 10/02/2021 at 23:57, Badger said:

loan perhaps ?

cant see it happening im afraid. nailed on starter for leipzig this year where he has really pushed on and become a key player, regular champions league football, probably on a fairly high wage from city as well. if city do end up letting him go he will have his suitors, but leipzig probably end up buying him. a shame because he is exactly the sort of player we need on the left. how many chances does redmond pass up each game?

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Think its safe to say that ings will be gone come the summer. Seems disinterested since rumours of turning down of a new contract. 

I'm not sure there is any evidence to suggest he is disinterested.

Probably disheartened that the team isn't giving him a platform to really show his quality, and I'm sure well aware that he has real competition to get a place at the Euros.

Can't fault his work rate IMO, nor his reluctance to sign a new contract.

Edited by Dusic

On 11/02/2021 at 13:50, Badger said:

It was Les Reed who negotiated the deal don't forget.

£20m for a striker who has become one of the best in the premier league. What a great deal it was don’t you think? Or would you have preferred Haller for £45m?

3 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

I still reckon we should say ok, you won't sign your contract, see out this one and you can leave on a free.  His knee won't last much past 30

Except the club appear to be skint. May be better to sell this summer and have some cash to sign a replacement 

Ever since the Ings contract story became common knowledge almost every hack journo has been publishing 

stories about how good DI would be in ; Spurs, West Ham, Palace, and Arsenal 's side ..or even further up north

....with the prospect of Man City needing to replace Aguero in the near future.

Either way we have to get real and plan longer term for Danny's eventual replacement. 

The question that really matters to Danny has to be .. Does he want a big money move to Spurs? ... and perhaps 

occasionally come off their bench to replace a tired Harry Kane ..or, does he want to join a club that might possibly ..

win SOMETHING.... ( like Man City ).   

10 hours ago, Restark19 said:

Except the club appear to be skint. May be better to sell this summer and have some cash to sign a replacement 

So when spurs come in with a miserly offer of £20m who we going to buy for that who's guaranteed to score in the premier league?  Nope keeping Danny for another 18 months makes perfect sense, he hasn't signed a new contract, no pay rise, money saved, he hasn't signed a contract, no paying him for 4 -5 years only to be injured once his knees start to go as he gets older and he plays less, money saved.

2 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Ever since the Ings contract story became common knowledge almost every hack journo has been publishing 

stories about how good DI would be in ; Spurs, West Ham, Palace, and Arsenal 's side ..or even further up north

....with the prospect of Man City needing to replace Aguero in the near future.

Either way we have to get real and plan longer term for Danny's eventual replacement. 

The question that really matters to Danny has to be .. Does he want a big money move to Spurs? ... and perhaps 

occasionally come off their bench to replace a tired Harry Kane ..or, does he want to join a club that might possibly ..

win SOMETHING.... ( like Man City ).   

You know what, if he went to City I'd begrudgingly accept it and I suspect they'd be more willing to pay a decent price.  Spurs on the other hand will haggle, get in his ear and do whatever they can to get him on the cheap from us, I would tell him straight, he either signs the contract, sees out his current one, but we will not be selling to that scummy club

8 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

You know what, if he went to City I'd begrudgingly accept it and I suspect they'd be more willing to pay a decent price.  Spurs on the other hand will haggle, get in his ear and do whatever they can to get him on the cheap from us, I would tell him straight, he either signs the contract, sees out his current one, but we will not be selling to that scummy club

agree. hate Levy and their poxy club

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DT said:

agree. hate Levy and their poxy club

Agree, this smacks of Levy doing his usual and trying to get a player he wants on the cheap. The big problem with that is that if Ings is set on going to Spurs then it does him no favours if he bangs in loads of goals because, of course, his price then goes up.   

Edited by Teddeer
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Agree, this smacks of Levy doing his usual and trying to get a player he wants on the cheap. The big problem with that is that if Ings is set on going to Spurs then it does him no favours if he bangs in loads of goals because, of course, his price then goes up.   

Absolute nonsense. If he goes anywhere cheap it's because his contract is running down, no other reason.

14 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Do you really believe ings is playing shite deliberately in order to lower his transfer price?? 😂 You do realise the Euros are this summer and this is arguably Ings last change to get to a international tournament?  He’s not going to throw that chance away just so Spuds will sign him... 

Ings is out of form no question, but I’ve no doubt he’s trying his best to play well and bang in the goals.  Whether he leaves in the summer or not.

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Like Hjobjerg you mean. Come on, Levy has got previous.

If you think Levy can phone our players up and say, "yes, if you wouldn’t mind playing sh*t for six months, so we can sign you a bit cheaper that’d be great. Oh by the way, we’ll also be able to offer you lower wages if you don’t have any competing offers, so make sure you properly suck. Cheers," then you are grossly mistaken.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Wow!!! Do you think Ings would deliberately play poorly in the months before the Euros, let alone in any case!! You my friend need to get out into the fresh air!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

Wow!!! Do you think Ings would deliberately play poorly in the months before the Euros, let alone in any case!! You my friend need to get out into the fresh air!!!

It's not a question of deliberately playing poorly more that there could be a small voice in his head telling him not to take as many risks which is a natural reaction. In his mind is he 100% fully committed to us if he knows he will be moving on? If he is then great. None of us is enjoying this run of results so naturally players are being put under the microscope.

On 25/02/2021 at 23:05, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's been said before on here, but I'll say it again. The guy had Covid. Even when you're over the sickness, your energy levels can be down for months afterwards. We saw with Armstrong that it can take a while to get back to the level needed for Premier League football

Indeed - it can take months for some people to recover from covid.

• Like 1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14185085/blackburn-west-ham-transfer-adam-armstrong/

Obviously its The Sun, but its indicative of the problem we will have in trying to replace Ings this summer.

Brighton shows exactly the value of a good goalscorer - they would be top half with one like Ings - so will be frustrating to give away a quality one for the same price as a Championship player will be quoted as.

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14185085/blackburn-west-ham-transfer-adam-armstrong/

Obviously its The Sun, but its indicative of the problem we will have in trying to replace Ings this summer.

Brighton shows exactly the value of a good goalscorer - they would be top half with one like Ings - so will be frustrating to give away a quality one for the same price as a Championship player will be quoted as.

You could, of course, look at this in a different way. If Blackburn can ask for that much for a Championship level nobody with one year left, then imagine how much we can get for Ings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You could, of course, look at this in a different way. If Blackburn can ask for that much for a Championship level nobody with one year left, then imagine how much we can get for Ings.

Unfortunately with only a year left on his contract with us, his real market value will not be reflected in the offers that are made

21 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Unfortunately with only a year left on his contract with us, his real market value will not be reflected in the offers that are made

You realise the post I quoted referenced a story about a player with a year left on his contract?

• Like 1

I like Danny.

But seriously, if his agent has any brain cells in his head, he'll be driving his client into Staplewood first thing Monday morning sharpish to sign it while it's still on the table.

But like the poster above, somehow I think the club might well be hoping he doesn't!

7 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Might be time to cash in anyway, doubt he will ever have another season like  last season again......

I can’t see any club paying big money for him. he was great last season but he’s been here 3 years and 2 of them been start stop due to injuries. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is that the third time he’s gone off injured again this season? I expect the club are beginning to hope he doesn’t sign he contract that’s on the table 

Agreed - £100k a week for next 4-5 years is looking more and more like it could be a burden.

Last season is starting to look like the outlier from an injury perspective. 

Probably best to cash in while we can in the summer. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Is that the third time he’s gone off injured again this season? I expect the club are beginning to hope he doesn’t sign he contract that’s on the table 

This. Maybe they should withdraw it. Would love someone to say the terms have changed and that’s tough, should have signed it earlier pal. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

If Danny Ings was a 'Saint' he would at least sign a 1 year extension to protect his financial value towards the club that saved his career.

He’s not a Saint, he’s a footballer. He’s not a fan. 
Clearly you haven’t realised, there is a big difference. 
You’ll have to explain how we saved his career. 

Edited by Noodles34

3 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

I like Danny.

But seriously, if his agent has any brain cells in his head, he'll be driving his client into Staplewood first thing Monday morning sharpish to sign it while it's still on the table.

Yeah, he really needs to seriously consider the offer on the table, the injury issues have raised their head again after a pretty clear season. His options may well be dwindling with every week he spends out.

Wow, this forum has gone from despair about him not signing to lets hope the club sell him afterall 🙄

He is our best striker and the injuries are just bad luck in a strange season,  we need him to stay and we wont get anywhere near his quality with our budget.

Be careful what you wish for

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah, he really needs to seriously consider the offer on the table, the injury issues have raised their head again after a pretty clear season. His options may well be dwindling with every week he spends out.

He knows that teams will always be interested in a player who has proven he can score goals in the PL, and is available for a low fee.

He also knows that if nobody to his liking comes in for him in the summer then his offer from Saints will still be available, as for a team like ours he can be the difference between staying up or going down and replacing him will cost more than we can afford.

The only group it suits for him to sign the contract now are Saints and Saints fans. Thats the truth. He is in the position of strength, groin strain or not.

Edited by Dusic

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Any replacement for Ings needs to be a goalscoring striker. Lookman is a pacey winger, not a striker.

Yes he is but could play him there and he would score goals .. he’s class ! Would be a great addition for saints ..sell ings and use the money to bring him in ..he could play anywhere along the front line he’s that good !

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings