Danny Ings

sisi1992

10 minutes ago, Streaky said:

He could have signed an extension last season and chose not too. Hes off everyone knows it. Would love to see us go after Ivan Toney. Obviously depending if Brentford come up.

Correct. We need to plan for life after him. 

I like Toney, not sure if he’ll be in our price range (its seriously sad that we can’t afford a championship player!), but I do worry about his ability to adapt. 

In Ings, we’re losing a proven 10-15 goal a season striker. Toney has only had 1 good season at championship level. He could work out like Watkins and adapt very well, or could work out like Adams (who also only had 1 good season in the championship) and clearly isn’t someone you can rely on to get enough goals to keep us up. 

I worry we’ll try and be clever amd it’ll back fire. We need to spend every penny and more to replace ings if we want to survive next season imo.

I’d love us to go for Callum Wilson. Perfect for us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SKD said:

I 100% agree. Kane is clearly the level above ings, I’m not disputing that. 

But if you’re ruling Danny out because of his age and injury record, you’d surely have to say the same about Kane, who’ll cost 5x the price. 

Both woulD score a hat full for them. But for £20m, there is incredible value in ings, it’ll allow them to get him and another. 

Just think about what that £20m will do to our bank balance. I expect an open top bus parade for that.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We haven't won the net spend trophy for a few seasons now. I want to see us reclaim what is rightfully ours.

We should get a little $ on the shirts to celebrate every time we've won it, it's what a lot of fans want to celebrate. 

Just now, Turkish said:

We should get a little $ on the shirts to celebrate every time we've won it, it's what a lot of fans want to celebrate. 

I hope we bring out a special commemorative shirt in a couple of years to celebrate our decade participating in the Premier League. Few clubs can participate like we can. 

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Talksport is pretty much dedicating today's programming to the Danny Ings transfer. 

They're going on about it right now on Drive.

This sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

This has come all of a sudden out of nowhere, to all over the airwaves, this just smacks to me of his agent leaking some bullshit to get a move.

I (personally) don't give a shit if he goes, he's 29 and gets a decent injury every 2 months.

He can leave.

But city?  ..... Really?

Fucking bollocks this is I reckon.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The most likely scenario is that the club propaganda moves into over drive and starts talking up Redmond as the perfect foil for Adams, and how Adams has developed etc etc. Then we won't need to spend a penny.

They must think we are fkin stupid if they expect anyone to fall for that crap.

Oh wait........

41 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

They must think we are fkin stupid if they expect anyone to fall for that crap.

Oh wait........

Define ‘falling for’ and why would they care if we do? It’s a results business, they can’t fool the league table, which is what those running the club actually care about.

4 hours ago, SKD said:

I like Toney, not sure if he’ll be in our price range (its seriously sad that we can’t afford a championship player!), but I do worry about his ability to adapt. 

In Ings, we’re losing a proven 10-15 goal a season striker. Toney has only had 1 good season at championship level. He could work out like Watkins and adapt very well, or could work out like Adams (who also only had 1 good season in the championship) and clearly isn’t someone you can rely on to get enough goals to keep us up. 

I worry we’ll try and be clever amd it’ll back fire. We need to spend every penny and more to replace ings if we want to survive next season imo.

Next season will be sink or swim for us. We need to spend or risk relegation, even Gao must recognise that. Who knows what will happen.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yes, it is. Can you answer it? Why would multi million pound transactions be influenced by made up stories?

To get interest in his client for a start.

Danny Ings has had more press today than he's had in ages.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

To get interest in his client for a start.

Danny Ings has had more press today than he's had in ages.

Having it in the press makes no difference. The agent could talk directly to other clubs to see if there was interest. Making up stories in the media is pointless and achieves nothing.

17 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Is that a serious question? Seriously?

Ignore him mate. He has some Weird theory that football clubs and agents don’t use the media to negotiate deals. 

He’s not the brightest spark and clearly has never been involved in any meaningful negotiations in his life. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Having it in the press makes no difference. The agent could talk directly to other clubs to see if there was interest. Making up stories in the media is pointless and achieves nothing.

His agent probably is.

That's the whole point.

If you don't think agents do this then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Just now, SKD said:

Ignore him mate. He has some Weird theory that football clubs and agents don’t use the media to negotiate deals. 

He’s not the brightest spark and clearly has never been involved in any meaningful negotiations in his life. 

Talk me through how making up a story in the media makes a difference. If clubs knew stories were regularly made up in the press the would not trust them to influence multi million pound transactions. 

Agents can talk directly to clubs, it doesn't need to be done in the press.

Just now, JustinSFC said:

His agent probably is.

That's the whole point.

If you don't think agents do this then I've got a bridge to sell you.

If they are talking in private to other clubs, how does making up stories in the press help? If clubs knew stories were regularly made up in the press the would not trust them to influence multi million pound transactions. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Talk me through how making up a story in the media makes a difference. If clubs knew stories were regularly made up in the press the would not trust them to influence multi million pound transactions. 

They can talk directly to club number 1, but talking directly to the media creates more of a pantomime.

That pantomime creates more interest, more clubs having a sniff, that therefore creates more opportunities for the agent to make money.

This isn't just how football works, it's how life works. If I have a product I want to offer someone, I don't just go directly to company x. I flaunt it throughout as many business avenues as I can, therefore drumming up multiple avenues for my product. I could even make up a story that Microsoft are interested to make my product seem even more attractive. It's business sense.

Football is a lot more murky in that sense, but it happens in the same context. The same way as clubs use the media to appease fans or manipulate fan feeling. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They can talk directly to club number 1, but talking directly to the media creates more of a pantomime.

That pantomime creates more interest, more clubs having a sniff, that therefore creates more opportunities for the agent to make money.

This isn't just how football works, it's how life works. If I have a product I want to offer someone, I don't just go directly to company x. I flaunt it throughout as many business avenues as I can, therefore drumming up multiple avenues for my product. It's business sense.

Football is a lot more murky in that sense, but it happens. The same way as clubs use the media to appease fans or manipulate fan feeling. 

If it was a widely used practise then no one would take it seriously as they would be aware it was a likely manipulation. This isn't flogging a can of coke to a consumer, it is multi million pound business transactions. Its use would make it obsolete. It is a catch 22. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

56 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Have you ever considered that perhaps not all the press stories are made up and some are true? It’s a bit like poker.  

It works like this. Agent talks to club A, club A offer x amount or have him as x target. 
Agent speaks to press about club B being interested. 

Club A then have a decision to make, call the bluff, potentially losing out on a deal or increase offer. 

From a clubs perspective, club want to buy player A (Haaland in this instance). Player A Is undecided as has many clubs interested. Club leaks to press about interest in player B. Player A has decision to make, call bluff and miss out on deal for desired club or make a decision quicker. 

I mean it’s pretty simple stuff. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If it was a widely used practise then no one would take it seriously as they would be aware it was a likely manipulation. This isn't flogging a can of coke to a consumer, it is multi million pound business transactions. Its use would make it obsolete. It is a catch 22. 

It makes me laugh that you continue to use ‘it’s a multi million pound business’ as a point to add weight to your argument, as if this exact thing doesn’t happen on the stock market every single day 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SKD said:

Redmond has shown his class in that postion. Long will return from Bournemouth full of confidence, a fit Obafemi will be like a new signing, Tella will kick on and N’Duludulululuduludululululudu will be better for a year with the first team. We don’t really want to bring anyone in to block their pathway.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Redmond has shown his class in that postion. Long will return from Bournemouth full of confidence, a fit Obafemi will be like a new signing, Tella will kick on and N’Duludulululuduludululululudu will be better for a year with the first team. We don’t really want to bring anyone in to block their pathway.

N’lunduludululu makes me feel privileged to of watched Paul Moody and Ian Dowie back in the days of the big lump up front.

I really don’t see how this bloke is going to be a professional footballer for the next ten years.

12 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

In this instance it may have a slightly different motivation. Ings’s stock would have been through the roof prior to his injury run / comparative goal drought. He is in danger of becoming a forgotten man, or perhaps more relevant, all of the doubts regarding him being able to sustain any consistent level of fitness. If he doesn’t recover his form in whatever is left of the season when he comes back I think his value will have potentially halved since his purple patch. I can see why his representatives would be attempting to put him back into the spotlight at this time.

• Like 1

Saints probably don’t mind a transfer being in the media if it helps drive up the price. The club absolutely needs the money so I’m expecting Ings plus others to leave with no effort to keep them because we can’t. There won’t be significant incomings either. Club’s finances are screwed and neither Gao or an inept commercial boss help.

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

This is true. It seems daft to waste money on another forward, they could end up like Carrillo. Nlundlulu and Obafemi are both young hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve. 

We’d be much better spending the money on an extra Large pride flag. We could spend the excess on getting a BLM banner wrapped around the Northam. 

• Confused 1

If you're a fan of City or Spurs or whoever I'd say signing Danny Ings in the summer would be a pretty underwhelming event.

For all those clubs he's only going to be back up squad meat, and when the time comes for him to get a run of games, he'll just get injured.

Good luck to him and his bank account, but I think he'll look back at his Saints career as a highlight where at least he was the main man.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

This is true. It seems daft to waste money on another forward, they could end up like Carrillo. Nlundlulu and Obafemi are both young hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve. 

We’d be much better spending the money on an extra Large pride flag. We could spend the excess on getting a BLM banner wrapped around the Northam. 

When you got five quality players competing for the one starting slot alongside our international star striker Adams it’d be a total waste of money to bring someone in, no guarantees they’d be any better than what we got. I’d rather we just kept the money in the bank to help swell out bank balance. Also think we should invest some of it into the women’s team. It’d be great to see them in the WPL, especially now from next season we can see them on telly more.

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If you're a fan of City or Spurs or whoever I'd say signing Danny Ings in the summer would be a pretty underwhelming event.

For all those clubs he's only going to be back up squad meat, and when the time comes for him to get a run of games, he'll just get injured.

Good luck to him and his bank account, but I think he'll look back at his Saints career as a highlight where at least he was the main man.

Yep, especially given he left a big one, arguably the most successful of the lot in recent 2-3 years, because he wasn’t getting game time. 

Although, he may look back at the end in regret and think how have I not won anything. Contrary to this forum, top level athletes don’t see 3rd best form In 2020 and premier league survival as success. 

Le tiss was the anomaly. I know Matt says he has no regrets, but I bet deep down he thinks what if. 

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

When you got five quality players competing for the one starting slot alongside our international star striker Adams it’d be a total waste of money to bring someone in, no guarantees they’d be any better than what we got. I’d rather we just kept the money in the bank to help swell out bank balance. Also think we should invest some of it into the women’s team. It’d be great to see them in the WPL, especially now from next season we can see them on telly more.

International star ‘support’ striker... 

27 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Can only agree with this.

10 minutes ago, SKD said:

Le tiss was the anomaly. I know Matt says he has no regrets, but I bet deep down he thinks what if. 

I asked him this on Twitter a while back during first lockdown and he replied no, but it was a pretty pointless question because he's hardly going to say anything else is he really.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

But on the flip side if you told City or (particularly) Spurs fans they could have a back up striker who outscored all their players in the league last season, i’m sure they’d be delighted. Both have struggled with finding a reliable alternative to their main striker for years, Ings would solve that problem. 

10 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

But on the flip side if you told City or (particularly) Spurs fans they could have a back up striker who outscored all their players in the league last season, i’m sure they’d be delighted. Both have struggled with finding a reliable alternative to their main striker for years, Ings would solve that problem. 

Last season maybe. His Premier League scoring record across his career is 11, 2, 0, 1, 7, 22, 8.

49 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Last season maybe. His Premier League scoring record across his career is 11, 2, 0, 1, 7, 22, 8.

His two biggest numbers being his only two seasons in the Premier League where he was regularly fit. Scoring 11 for Burnley when they got relegated, and 22 for a Saints team that without him probably would be too, is not bad going. He will score goals for every team in this league, if he can stay fit. 

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I love how Ings is being dubbed as Agueros replacement. They're replacing probably the best striker they've ever had with one who has had one good season in five years spending half of 4 of them injured.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Do you not think that in itself is a massive red flag?

Obviously, hence why he plays for us. Do I think it’s a massive red flag to a team that spends 100’s of millions every year and has a squad full of players over 30mil that don’t play regularly? Probably not. City signing Ings for £30mil is basically the equivalent of Brighton signing Danny Welbeck on a free, you know he’s not going to be fit all the time but he’s probably worth having for when he can play. 

15 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Too much. His wage demands are beyond our reach as well.

Unless we can wrangle a season loan, Abraham's a non starter.

Not true, we’ve account for a huge contract (for our standard) for Ings, so if he doesn’t sign it, we have the money. 

If we’d offer him it or if he’d want to join a relegation battle is probably the biggest issue. I’m sure there are more attractive clubs out there who’ll be in for him. 

Probably end up at West Ham. 

23 hours ago, Streaky said:

He could have signed an extension last season and chose not too. Hes off everyone knows it. Would love to see us go after Ivan Toney. Obviously depending if Brentford come up.

I flagged up Toney when he was at Peterborough at the same time Todd Cantwell when he had only had a few games. I should be a club scout. lol

16 hours ago, John D said:

I've known a few agents over the years including an ex saints player.  

It happens. They will use papers for a variety of reasons. 

It could even be our club doing it, make the fans get used to the thought hes leaving and their sentiment may turn. Personally he is tarnished as he obviously wants to go.

Fair play hes done well for us and we for him of course.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings