Danny Ings

sisi1992

5 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

I thought there was a 'gentleman's agreement; between Ings and Ralph, that he would be go in the shop window, and if an offer comes in from top side, then he'll go. But if the only bidders are middling clubs, then he'll reject them and sign another contract. I think it could be July before a decision is taken. We are down the food chain, and the likes of Mbappe, Aguero etc need to find homes before clubs look at Ings. I think Cavani's signature closes the door at Man Utd. Now let's see how City, Leicester, Spurs unravel.

Thought ings wish was either Manchester clubs or stay put and sign new contract 

5 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

I thought there was a 'gentleman's agreement; between Ings and Ralph, that he would be go in the shop window, and if an offer comes in from top side, then he'll go. But if the only bidders are middling clubs, then he'll reject them and sign another contract. I think it could be July before a decision is taken. We are down the food chain, and the likes of Mbappe, Aguero etc need to find homes before clubs look at Ings. I think Cavani's signature closes the door at Man Utd. Now let's see how City, Leicester, Spurs unravel.

Slight contradiction there.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

If Kane leaves - him going to Spurs for £15m sounds about right. Personally I don’t think we should sell unless we get £30m  - how much is a year in the Prem worth ? That’s what we are talking here so keeping him then letting him go on a free and getting another £80m or whatever you get for being in the Prem seems like good business to me. Only risk is he gets injured or plays half arsed - but the second is unlikely if he wants a decent final club. Also that will mean I can watch much less of Walcott or Long doing a bad impression of a striker

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

If Kane leaves - him going to Spurs for £15m sounds about right. Personally I don’t think we should sell unless we get £30m  - how much is a year in the Prem worth ? That’s what we are talking here so keeping him then letting him go on a free and getting another £80m or whatever you get for being in the Prem seems like good business to me. Only risk is he gets injured or plays half arsed - but the second is unlikely if he wants a decent final club. Also that will mean I can watch much less of Walcott or Long doing a bad impression of a striker

If Kane leaves they'll probably spend more than £15m on his replacement, being as he'll go for like £150m. I don't see spurs replacing Kane with Ings, seems more likely they'll sign someone younger for ~£40m, maybe Andre Silva.

11 hours ago, TWar said:

If Kane leaves they'll probably spend more than £15m on his replacement, being as he'll go for like £150m. I don't see spurs replacing Kane with Ings, seems more likely they'll sign someone younger for ~£40m, maybe Andre Silva.

I'm dreading Levy screwing us over again and getting Ings for £10m AND another younger striker with all that booty, should someone be able to afford Kane.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DT said:

I'm dreading Levy screwing us over again and getting Ings for £10m AND another younger striker with all that booty, should someone be able to afford Kane.

Dunno if Ings will be that keen to go if he is going to be behind/competing with another player. To be honest though, I think it is pretty unlikely that Kane goes at the prices touted. They won't get £150m for him, they probably won't sell to a domestic rival, and Kane has 3 years or something still on his contract. I don't think he's going anywhere.

15 hours ago, saint77 said:

Thought ings wish was either Manchester clubs or stay put and sign new contract 

Wasn't that another Alex Crook exclusive? Like the exclusive he ran a few months back that Ings and Bertrand were signings new deals imminently, that Tom Davies was definitely signing and memorably announcing Saints had no interest in Charlie Austin, less than 24 hours before he signed. The only thing the South Coast football expert is an expert in is blocking people on twitter who call out his bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Dunno if Ings will be that keen to go if he is going to be behind/competing with another player. To be honest though, I think it is pretty unlikely that Kane goes at the prices touted. They won't get £150m for him, they probably won't sell to a domestic rival, and Kane has 3 years or something still on his contract. I don't think he's going anywhere.

If City came up with the buyout cash I'm not sure Spurs would have a choice. And I suspect he wants to play champions league, so may agitate to go if an offer comes in. But yes, you could be right. Bit make or break for him at the moment though...

On Ings it would be just Spurs style to buy him and say he's first choice AT THAT TIME. Greasy bunch.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Ralph "very confident" Ings will be here next season.

I don't want to hear that to be honest. Until he is shown signing an extension I'm not interested in reassurance. We’ve had too much of that over the years.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

I don't want to hear that to be honest. Until he is shown signing an extension I'm not interested in reassurance. We’ve had too much of that over the years.

Maybe he's comfortable with the situation......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think he was hinting at no extension but also no sale.

19 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Our best approach is to keep him, buy someone this summer for £10-15m (or a loan with a view to buy) who can use a season to grow into the side with the idea of them replacing Ings.

Still risky, but probably the safest way of doing it. Selling now and pocketing £20m would put us in as worse a position as letting him go for free without a replacement.

The flaw in that plan is we improve him sufficiently to be a replacement for Ings in a years time, he'll be off to a bigger club as well a year later. And so it goes on. Untill we can prove to players that we have the ambition we had under Cortese (I know he was flashing someone else's cash but the ambition was there) to at least have a realistic try at trying to win things/qualify for Europe regularly then it's never going to end

19 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Our best approach is to keep him, buy someone this summer for £10-15m (or a loan with a view to buy) who can use a season to grow into the side with the idea of them replacing Ings.

Still risky, but probably the safest way of doing it. Selling now and pocketing £20m would put us in as worse a position as letting him go for free without a replacement.

Couldnt agree more. If we let him go in the summer and a replacement doesnt work out (a la Carrillo), we're relegated simple as that. There just isnt enough goals in the side outside of him at present. Yes we will miss out on a significant fee for Ings (£15-20m probably) if he doesnt sign a new contract, but at least we will have his services/goals for another season and have time to see how the replacement beds in. If they dont appear to meet the required levels, then we have further transfer windows to address that before Ings leaves on a free. Forgoing £20 million this summer will be nothing compared to losing our PL status and the financial hole that comes with that.

Given our financial state however, there will be pressure from the hierarchy to move Ings on and receive a substantial fee.

39 minutes ago, TWar said:

Ralph "very confident" Ings will be here next season.

No mention of signing a contract extn though. I’d be surprised if we let him go run down the contract and go for free. We couldn’t afford to let him go for nothing and have to buy a replacement 

If Ings scores in every game till the end of the season and fires England to euro glory..I think his fee will rise and the Manchester clubs will come calling ..don’t think he would go to Spurs if they don’t make champions league ..I think Kane isn’t going anywhere for 150m quoted..if ings gets injured again he stays with us but do we still offer wots on the table ? 3 year deal 120k a week ? He’s been class for us and I don’t want him to go ..so a selfish side of me hope he’s on the bench for England.. but the English in me hopes he wins us the euro trophy 🏆 

Maybe the thinking is keeping him one more year get a few goals from him.

A few injuries no doubt a year older maybe then a few top clubs will be looking elsewhere and he would sign a new contract then a gamble as could walk away free but as others said better to get another year than certain relegation.

A new owner in a years time may see us better place and a load of dross off books.

Edited by Give it to Ron

16 hours ago, Saint86 said:

He's in no rush and will wait and see how the euro's goes and whether he can put himself in the shop window. If nothing happens then he'll take the contract offer from saints.

So how does that help Saints? Surely they need to know if he is staying or going to help with forward planning?

1 minute ago, miserableoldgit said:

He can't just go.....he has a contract....

I mean, it's better that he is giving us a chance and saying "If I get a top club for a decent fee then I'll go, if not I'll stay with you" rather than "I'm leaving, I'll force my way out if I have to, a new contract is completely off the table. Also, if a smaller team bids more I don't care I won't go there if a big team comes in even if they pay much less" like other players have in the past, Hojbjerg for instance.

FFS danny be a big fish in a small pond not a bit part bench warmer at a so called bigger club! You are a legend here and guaranteed a start when fit! .... The grass isn't always greener... Just ask Theo! 

25 minutes ago, Mr X said:

FFS danny be a big fish in a small pond not a bit part bench warmer at a so called bigger club! You are a legend here and guaranteed a start when fit! .... The grass isn't always greener... Just ask Theo! 

I can imagine Theo, teeth clenched, staring at his FA cup medals wishing he had one for the Johnston Paint Trophy instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I can imagine Theo, teeth clenched, staring at his FA cup medals wishing he had one for the Johnston Paint Trophy instead.

I bet playing champions league football really hacked him off, especially as he could of been finishing second in the championship 

32 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I bet playing champions league football really hacked him off, especially as he could of been finishing second in the championship 

Probably regrets his hat trick for England against Croatia as well, as he could have watched that game on TV in-between saints losing at home to Blackpool and away to QPR!

On 13/05/2021 at 13:53, Wurzel said:

The flaw in that plan is we improve him sufficiently to be a replacement for Ings in a years time, he'll be off to a bigger club as well a year later. And so it goes on. Untill we can prove to players that we have the ambition we had under Cortese (I know he was flashing someone else's cash but the ambition was there) to at least have a realistic try at trying to win things/qualify for Europe regularly then it's never going to end

its never going to end. We are never going to compete with the big six financially, so they will also take our better players. Vardey not going to downward spiralling Arsenal is one of the only times in recent years that a middling side has kept hold of a player a big six side wants.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 14:10, woodsaint1 said:

Couldnt agree more. If we let him go in the summer and a replacement doesnt work out (a la Carrillo), we're relegated simple as that. There just isnt enough goals in the side outside of him at present. Yes we will miss out on a significant fee for Ings (£15-20m probably) if he doesnt sign a new contract, but at least we will have his services/goals for another season and have time to see how the replacement beds in. If they dont appear to meet the required levels, then we have further transfer windows to address that before Ings leaves on a free. Forgoing £20 million this summer will be nothing compared to losing our PL status and the financial hole that comes with that.

Given our financial state however, there will be pressure from the hierarchy to move Ings on and receive a substantial fee.

I agree with the sentiment, but the issue with turning down offers now, is that in twelve months time we are in exactly the same position as we are now, only, with £20m less in our pocket to find a replacement. We basically kick the problem down the road and from a business standpoint, its financial suicide allowing in demand players to walk for free. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I agree with the sentiment, but the issue with turning down offers now, is that in twelve months time we are in exactly the same position as we are now, only, with £20m less in our pocket to find a replacement. We basically kick the problem down the road and from a business standpoint, its financial suicide allowing in demand players to walk for free. 

There's always a chance that we have a stand out season next year, win a cup and possibly finish top seven. Long shot I know, but if that did happen, it could give Ings something to think about.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

its never going to end. We are never going to compete with the big six financially, so they will also take our better players. Vardey not going to downward spiralling Arsenal is one of the only times in recent years that a middling side has kept hold of a player a big six side wants.

Grealish signed a new contract, Zaha has managed to stay at Crystal Palace, Everton can't remember off the top of my head losing someone big except Lukaku

Leicester sell I guess i.e. Kante/Maguire/Chilwell/Mahrez/Drinkwater but then they buy players in the next tier of transfer fees in Maddison/Tielemans/Castagne etc, I think there is no point discussing them anymore because they do things so much better

But WHU haven't sold Declan Rice yet for example. 

Wolves have lost Jota/Doherty I guess

I can't think of one player we managed to convince to sign who had intense speculation from a top 6 club in last 3/4 years, but I guess that's because our players have equally been bang average - but the likes of JWP/Armstrong/Bednarek signing contracts is good and all but they've never been linked anywhere bigger

Edited by nta786

24 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

There's always a chance that we have a stand out season next year, win a cup and possibly finish top seven. Long shot I know, but if that did happen, it could give Ings something to think about.

If he doesn't sign this year, he wont next.

21 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Grealish signed a new contract, Zaha has managed to stay at Crystal Palace, Everton can't remember off the top of my head losing someone big except Lukaku

Everton haven't had a great record of keeping players when bigger clubs have come calling; Lukaku, Stones, Barkley, Fellaini, Gueye, going further back Rooney. 

There's an element of selling club about most teams other than top few clubs.

5 hours ago, Chez said:

How many positions higher in the table is he worth? If say 5, then that's about £10 million recouped. And if being 5 positions lower results in 18th or worse, the £20 million gained by selling him would be the classic penny wise/pound foolish.

And as for kicking the can down the road, that is an understandable concern, but a year gives the club more time to find a replacement. Also, if Ings has a mediocre/injury interrupted year and there is no big 6 interest, it's possible he could sign a renewal then.

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, saint lard said:

He certainly wasn’t happy about being taken of after roughly 60mins today. 
be it advised by the medical staff or not,as agreed prior to the game. 

Ralph mentioned in the Palace game that Ings fitness wasn't up to playing 90 mins especially as we have 3 games in a week, taking him off early yesterday hopefully means he can play for 75 mins on Tuesday against Leeds. 

He'll be desperate to get a couple more goals this season to keep his name in contention for an England call up. 

9 hours ago, saint lard said:

He may not of been happy but he cant thank the medical staff for getting him back playing like he did after Palace and then have a strop four days later.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

How many positions higher in the table is he worth? If say 5, then that's about £10 million recouped. And if being 5 positions lower results in 18th or worse, the £20 million gained by selling him would be the classic penny wise/pound foolish.

And as for kicking the can down the road, that is an understandable concern, but a year gives the club more time to find a replacement. Also, if Ings has a mediocre/injury interrupted year and there is no big 6 interest, it's possible he could sign a renewal then.

Sure, but we could sell for £30m this summer and buy another striker with that money and stay up and maybe even get those 5 places. Probably not, but it has been done.

Keep him, stay up, make £10m more prize money and then are still £20m down when it comes to buying that next striker. Not sure why we need another year to find a guy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, saint lard said:

He just wants to get a goal, no harm in that.

On 16/05/2021 at 09:17, Chez said:

Sure, but we could sell for £30m this summer and buy another striker with that money and stay up and maybe even get those 5 places. Probably not, but it has been done.

Keep him, stay up, make £10m more prize money and then are still £20m down when it comes to buying that next striker. Not sure why we need another year to find a guy.

Oh for the good old days when we had a list of 5 players who we wanted to replace players we sell before they’d even left!

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If Leicester were smart they'd be trying to get him as a Vardy replacement.

I know for certain They are / were sniffing about. I think Edouard is their preferred option though. 

44 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Vardy doesn't need replacing this summer. They could persuade Ings to see out his contract and get him for free next summer.

He’s been pretty average this season. If they have aspersions of competing in Europe and finishing top 4 again next season, they need a new striker. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings