Danny Ings

sisi1992

Just now, Chez said:

as I have mentioned several times matthew, the debt rises to £122m if we don't start paying ti until 2025. So I have little doubt the club WILL be making a debt repayment before then. The sooner we pay it down, the less we `waste' in interest payments, which eat into our annual budget.

Regardless of us doing that or not. It doesn't require selling our best players to make the repayments. 

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Regardless of us doing that or not. It doesn't require selling our best players to make the repayments. 

Understood, but equally I should imagine the owner requires that we don't continue to lose tens of millions each year, which willbe hard with revenue down and the need to spend some money on new players in the summer. Youngsters could fill the void. On tonights showing you have ask if they are good enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Understood, but equally I should imagine the owner requires that we don't continue to lose tens of millions each year, which willbe hard with revenue down and the need to spend some money on new players in the summer. Youngsters could fill the void. On tonights showing you have ask if they are good enough.

It would be nice if the 'owners'  gave a shit about anything other than protecting their 'investment'. How about they put some money into the mix, just once....? maybe?

Sorry, that's a silly idea.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, S-Clarke said:

It would be nice if the 'owners'  gave a shit about anything than protecting their 'investment'. How about they put some money into the mix, just once....? maybe?

Sorry, that's a silly idea.

I have no issue with them expecting the club to be self financing, so long as that also meant are debt didn't start growing (which it has), but it the current climate it would have nice to have seen Gao lend us the £78m rather than us pay 9.14% interest rate.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I have no issue with them expecting the club to be self financing, so long as that also meant are debt didn't start growing (which it has), but it the current climate it would have nice to have seen Gao lend us the £78m rather than us pay 9.14% interest rate.

There is self financing and then there is sitting back and not giving two hoots about your investment.

Unfortunately Gao et co fall into the latter. Really need shot if we are to do anything long term. So frustrating.

Edited by S-Clarke

51 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

when a player start talking about wanting champions league to the press, they mean they want champions league money. Basically the article is a `come get me' big six. Usually what happens is a big side not actually in the CL comes in for them and they sign for them anyway. 

I'd say it's pretty much over - negotiations wise. He's gone, so long as their is a buyer of course.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There is self financing and then there is sitting back and not giving two hoots about your investment.

Unfortunately Gao et co fall into the latter. Really need shot if we are to do anything long term. So frustrating.

he cares about his investment, but Premiership survival is all that has ever been required for the owner to ensure that investment pays off, with the value if clubs going up every year - except this.

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Given the situation with PEH during last summer, does Ings still get played in the meantime if he refuses to sign a new contract? Get that he has slightly longer on the contract, but does that same thinking apply? 

good point, but we had Romeu playing well. Who is the replacement this time, Adams?

1 minute ago, trousers said:

"Stay" for how long? The rest of the season? Another 3 years?

good point. I'd say the rest of the season. Can't see big money moves happening in Jan. Can't see him signing now he has said he wants CL.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

If he's mentally already on his way then I'd be inclined to twist as soon as possible 

Whose going to pay the money for him this window though. Spurs won’t, they’ll wait until he’s down to a year left and try and wrangle a nothing fee. Arsenal won’t stump the cash we will want.

If City wanted him, they’d have signed him already. Can’t see any others seriously wanting him.

Not sure what else the club can do - they’ve offered him a pay rise and would be highest earner. If the only way he’ll sign is to have a small release clause (compared to ability), then we’re better off keeping those extra wages and selling him in the summer for the same amount as the release clause.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Depends if we play one or two up top. If we play one, then Ings first choice, Adams second. 

But we don't play one up front. Our massive up turn in form has been playing 4222 and has been adopted throughout the club, no reason to change that now even if Ings doesn't play.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, stevy777_x said:

Get a striker on loan for the rest of the season with an option to buy. And try him out the sooner we replace Ings the better for our long term prospects.

I actually thought Danny gave a shit about playing for his hometown club.

He obviously doesn’t 

All footballers are the same. I'm sure we said the same about Wayne Bridge.

$$$$ and that's the motivation. To be honest, most human beings are driven the same way.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

But we don't play one up front. Our massive up turn in form has been playing 4222 and has been adopted throughout the club, no reason to change that now even if Ings doesn't play.

If Long is the only other option, then perhaps you'd need to reconsider. 

Back to the original question, do you drop him (like we did Hoj) and who do you pick?

The adopting the formation throughout the club is the new black box for me.

I know football is a short career for the players and they need to look after and do what's best for them, but feel massively let down by Ings and his stance. Granted we don't know the full facts and it might very well be that he will end up signing, however it just leaves a bit of a sour taste. I've said before that I believe Saints rescued Ings career, there didn't seem to be too many takers for him when we signed for us and it seemed he was more than happy to sign when we came in for him. I guess I was just expecting more for him being a local lad and that's why I feel a bit disappointed. Am not sure the Champions League thing is anything more than an excuse. Didn't PEH state that he wanted to sign for a CL club? 

Just now, Chez said:

If Long is the only other option, then perhaps you'd need to reconsider. 

Back to the original question, do you drop him (like we did Hoj) and who do you pick?

The adopting the formation throughout the club is the new black box for me.

Long isn't the only other option. I'd prefer Adams & Walcott or Adams & N'Dundulu upfront in a 4222 rather than Long.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Brentford got £33m for the last promising young striker they sold.

Better value to be found abroad.

makes you wonder how much Ings proven, but older is truely worth. I guess one year left in the summer changes things a lot.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Long isn't the only other option. I'd prefer Adams & Walcott or Adams & N'Dundulu upfront in a 4222 rather than Long.

I thought the idea was to see if the next guy could fill his shoes. Walcott has looked good working up and down the line, but not up the middle. N'Dundulu is interesting. Not sure I am confident he is gonna be good enough ti be our starting striker by the start of next season.does he score for fun for the B team?

People making out it's about money, but any footballer with an ounce of ambition and the quality that Ings has would want to test themselves in the Champions League.

He will have given us a good three seasons so fair play to him.

Given his injury problems, I also wonder if we may look back and think that he left at the right time. We're fortunate to have had him in the prime of his career

12 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

People making out it's about money, but any footballer with an ounce of ambition and the quality that Ings has would want to test themselves in the Champions League.

He will have given us a good three seasons so fair play to him.

Given his injury problems, I also wonder if we may look back and think that he left at the right time. We're fortunate to have had him in the prime of his career

Yep.

given his injury record I’d be tempted to sell and go for Wilson at Newcastle who I think is a very similar player

Edited by Dan Johnson
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

So basically we signed Ings on a 3 year deal after him signing permanently. Great job that!

Yes, it was a great job given that many at the time thought we were taking a massive gamble/mistake committing to sign him permanently at all for £20m given his injury record. He only scored 7 goals in his first season as well so there were no guarantees at all that signing him for 3 years would work out as well as it has.

14 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Yep.

given his injury record I’d be tempted to sell and go for Wilson at Newcastle who I think is a very similar player

28 year old Wilson cost Newcastle £20m under one year ago, his price will now be higher. Why would they sell him so soon to us?

If Ings goes we'll probably sign a young striker and look to develop him.

Edited by Matthew Le God

19 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

Yes, it was a great job given that many at the time thought we were taking a massive gamble/mistake committing to sign him permanently at all for £20m given his injury record. He only scored 7 goals in his first season as well so there were no guarantees at all that signing him for 3 years would work out as well as it has.

Les Reed masterstoke, just like Bednadek, Romeu and Vestergaard

34 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

So for argument's sake, if Saints by some miracle did manage to finish top 4 this season and qualify for champs league - Would he then stay with us if there was another offer made from another champs league side involving much more £s for Danny Ings? Would be interesting, but I think in reality it is a bit about keeping his options open for more money as well as the playing ambition you mention. (I don't really blame him to be honest).

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

So basically we signed Ings on a 3 year deal after him signing permanently. Great job that!

You conveniently forgetting we had him on loan for a season with a mandatory buy clause, therefore in reality a 4 year contract?

Players come and go all the time and there is very little loyalty (JWP, MLT, Benali being exceptions) - from either the clubs or players.  I trust the new footballing regime to have a backup plan should Ings leave.  What is the club meant to do - hold a gun to his head and force him to sign a contract?

Hopefully he signs the new contract, but its inevitable a release clause will be included in any agreement. Seen figures of £35m (club preference) and £20m (Ings preference) being banded around. Unclear if they're accurate but could see a meeting in the middle around £25-27.5m. Would suit both parties - club gets a slightly bigger guaranteed fee and Ings get an option to leave if clause met. Is there a period of time which needs to expire before the clause can be activated? If not there will probably be a few clubs interested this summer - Spurs and City being the most likely move for him. Just need to hope Spurs miss out on CL (not that it put off PEH) and City look elsewhere. Couldnt see United or Liverpool being interested but who knows

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I know football is a short career for the players and they need to look after and do what's best for them, but feel massively let down by Ings and his stance. Granted we don't know the full facts and it might very well be that he will end up signing, however it just leaves a bit of a sour taste. I've said before that I believe Saints rescued Ings career, there didn't seem to be too many takers for him when we signed for us and it seemed he was more than happy to sign when we came in for him. I guess I was just expecting more for him being a local lad and that's why I feel a bit disappointed. Am not sure the Champions League thing is anything more than an excuse. Didn't PEH state that he wanted to sign for a CL club? 

Totally agree

18 minutes ago, washsaint said:

You conveniently forgetting we had him on loan for a season with a mandatory buy clause, therefore in reality a 4 year contract?

Players come and go all the time and there is very little loyalty (JWP, MLT, Benali being exceptions) - from either the clubs or players.  I trust the new footballing regime to have a backup plan should Ings leave.  What is the club meant to do - hold a gun to his head and force him to sign a contract?

Two of those aren’t exceptions as they haven’t turned down better offers elsewhere.

7 hours ago, saint77 said:

As usual you see things others don’t 

7 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

This. I have noticed the same. Even when he gets interviewed it seems like a chore. I think he has started to believe in his own hype now. It's such a shame, would any other club taken a chance on him with his record? Especially for what we paid for him

Clearly I'm not the only one, and it wasn't hard to see if you looked properly. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings