Danny Ings

sisi1992

54 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Vardy doesn't need replacing this summer. They could persuade Ings to see out his contract and get him for free next summer.

He's only scored 2 goals in 25 games since Boxing Day. Even some of our players who get slated on here have scored more than that. 

I'm sure they'll be looking to see who is available this summer.

let him go for free at the end of his contract  is nothing like the losses we've had on others and yet to recoup, just Lemina and Hoedt equals the same loss , yet a season with Ings in the team would be a far greater achievement that either of those have achieved!

So I'd keep him on , given our recent recruitment the risk is lower with Ings

• Like 1

Nothing against Leicester as I think we can definitely match them salary wise for Ings, but I guess it will come down to whether he thinks it'll be worth leaving for 1 Champions League campaign (or may well even be Europa!)

Like, yes he'll be playing in a better team who have more ambitions, who most likely will be fighting within the top 8 for a European spot next season, but will they win a trophy again? Will the stars align again for Leicester? 

There are so many other factors of course - at Saints he is the main man, at Leicester will that definitely be the case? (he'd be competing with Vardy irregardless of his age, as well as Iheanacho)

Or what about England- would a move to Leicester improve his chances of making the team more than if he were to stay at Saints? 

Then there is the non-tangible sentimental side - he is a Saints fan and he is largely very much appreciated by all of us and we've made him the focal point of our team.

If it's just Leicester coming in for him, I think he will stay, I dunno why I just see it happening. Spurs despite one trophy in c. 30 years or whatever are a bigger pull and will possibly pay him more. City I don't think anyone would hold a grudge because he'd basically be guaranteed a trophy.

Edited by nta786

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Vardy doesn't need replacing this summer. They could persuade Ings to see out his contract and get him for free next summer.

That's a huge amount of faith required on Ings part that simply won't happen. What happens in the mean time if Ings gets a serious injury or someone else pops up that Leicester prefer? 

On 16/05/2021 at 00:59, Dark Munster said:

How many positions higher in the table is he worth? If say 5, then that's about £10 million recouped. And if being 5 positions lower results in 18th or worse, the £20 million gained by selling him would be the classic penny wise/pound foolish.

And as for kicking the can down the road, that is an understandable concern, but a year gives the club more time to find a replacement. Also, if Ings has a mediocre/injury interrupted year and there is no big 6 interest, it's possible he could sign a renewal then.

Agree. And in terms of a 'message' being sent out (perennial selling club etc), that affects our ability to attract new players too. Keep him if possible for another year would be my view. We won't get more than £20m, I wouldn't have thought.

Have to admit I'm excited by Tella's potential, though. And great to see someone actually look like they are ecstatic to score, and is clearly liked by other team members. (not saying Ings isn't)

Ings is 29 this year. 

From Leicester's recent transfers, it seems that they target young players with big sell on value. Part of me thinks they'll go abroad and spend big(ish) on a young striker when they eventually replace Vardy. 

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Would be a great move for him. 

Not sure it's the signing that's going to bridge the gap to City. They should be going all out for Kane or Haaland.

I can’t see anyone spending £150m for either of them to be honest. Not in this market. 

Ings playing second fiddle to Cavani would be decent enough for them for a season, imo. 

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

I can’t see anyone spending £150m for either of them to be honest. Not in this market. 

Ings playing second fiddle to Cavani would be decent enough for them for a season, imo. 

I remember reading that he favours either of the 2 Manchester clubs...

I'm not sure what options Ings realistically has.

United will go in for either Kane or Haaland, and they also got Raahford, Cavani & greenwood.

He's isn't going to play much there.

Calvert-Lewin has got spurs written all over it.

I can't see City happening.

That leaves Leicester and West Ham Or Everton and does he really want to force a move away from us where he's the main man, to join either of those?

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

I'm not sure what options Ings realistically has.

United will go in for either Kane or Haaland, and they also got Raahford, Cavani & greenwood.

He's isn't going to play much there.

Calvert-Lewin has got spurs written all over it.

I can't see City happening.

That leaves Leicester and West Ham Or Everton and does he really want to force a move away from us where he's the main man, to join either of those?

In a Covid influenced summer, with a major tournament as a distraction I would imagine a quality English striker who is clearly available would have enough options to move should he really want to.

I also imagine he and his Agent, and probably Saints, have a better sense of what realistic options he has than anyone else and if there aren't any then he will happily sign the contract on offer at Saints.

Edited by Dusic

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

In a Covid influenced summer, with a major tournament as a distraction I would imagine a quality English striker who is clearly available would have enough options to move should he really want to.

I also imagine he and his Agent, and probably Saints, have a better sense of what realistic options he has than anyone else and if there aren't any then he will happily sign the contract on offer at Saints.

I'm sure his agent would like to think Ings can cherry pick who he wants to join, but I'm not sure he can.

He gets injured a LOT.

I know the same can be said for Kane, but even with his injuries he'll still get 18/20 goals a season and he has done for 5/6 years straight.

Danny has done it once.

I think he'll stay, because I don't think we'd let him go for a price any of the big sides would be prepared to pay.

It's a pay day for him, but he'll be a squad player at best and I don't think anyone will pay over £20m for him at 29 years old and 5 injuries a season.

5 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Cant see it. They have Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood and Martial all vying for positions. Would need to move Martial on before they can consider Ings. United will likely focus their efforts on Sancho again

Sounds like a player who is looking for move, which we know to be the case - and I have no issue with.

Interesting that Ralph keeps saying he is confident he will stay. He is usually quite honest, but the two don't really tally.

9 hours ago, Saints foreva said:

I suspect the club will play the usual "he refused to play" when we sell him in the summer. 

I don't think they will stand in his way if he gets an offer from a top club.

Surely as a local lad he won't want to totally ruin his rapport with the fans either.

You can't on one hand be a club that has one selectable RB and one LB and then block moves for players clearly better than the rest to top clubs.

We just haven't given him the support and the service on the pitch that any striker deserves, so from a career point of view it's a no-brainer for him to move.

But I hope his heart tells him that we'll get better, things will be alright and his popularity is worth more than playing half a season somewhere else.

Sadly, playing half a season might suit his body more.

If he goes, I'll understand why.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

I don't think they will stand in his way if he gets an offer from a top club.

Surely as a local lad he won't want to totally ruin his rapport with the fans either.

You can't on one hand be a club that has one selectable RB and one LB and then block moves for players clearly better than the rest to top clubs.

Your last sentence sums up the situation perfectly.   Most Saints fans want him to stay yet if there is an offer it would be mean spirited of the Club to stand in his way.

10 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Your last sentence sums up the situation perfectly.   Most Saints fans want him to stay yet if there is an offer it would be mean spirited of the Club to stand in his way.

I dont think it is mean spirited, he has a contract and it's up to us if we want him to stay, and up to him if he wants to agree a new deal.

13 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Would it fuck. He will have a value to us and we should under no circumstances sell without a club offering that. Regardless if City or United come in for him. 

“He’ll be here next season” - That’s what keeps being quoted, I have no doubt he’ll still be here next season and I reckon in a years time will be his decision about signing a contract last minute or opting to sit on the bench for the remainder of his career at a better club.

I wouldn’t begrudge him if he did go, but I don’t think we’d get much for him now, plus I think he is more valuable to us for the next year if he stays as opposed to us spending the money on someone else.

3 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

No Danny Ings in the England Squad - I wonder whether this will now have a knock on effect on the contract situation. If he played for a big club I think he's getting the nod...

1 minute ago, Chris cooper said:

No ings ... that’s him definitely gone .. he has his excuse to leave now !!

It should make no difference. Playing for Saints did not stop Ward-Prowse. 

The squad also contains players from... Sheff Utd, Brighton, West Brom etc

It is injuries that have stopped Ings making the squad as he had a very disjointed season, not who he plays for.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

JWP made it. It is more a sign he needs to play regularly all season to get in. Could be a mark in our favour, if he sits on the bench for City or United for half a season no way he makes the world cup squad.

17 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

No Danny Ings in the England Squad - I wonder whether this will now have a knock on effect on the contract situation. If he played for a big club I think he's getting the nod...

Nah he’s been off form the last 6 months....  coincidentally since he was linked with spuds.  Hopefully it is a coincidence because otherwise he’s let it blow what’s probably his last chance to make the England squad

Watkins and Calvert-Lewin have played more than him. He got in the England squad scoring 20 goals and playing regularly, do that again he'll get back in.  He's probably the most natural finisher out of all them bar Kane. 

6 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Ings isn’t good enough and he’s made of glass. 
he stands out for us because he’s surrounded by dross. 
but to other fans he’s just meh. 
cash in now is what we should do. 

He's played 97 games for us in the last 2.5 seasons, and scored 46 goals (he's had covid and a few niggles, but hardly glass and hardly meh). He played 30 games this season (some as sub) and scored 13 goals, which isnt a bad return when playing for a dross team.
I feel gutted for him, and find it hard to believe there are 10 attackers picked who are better than him.
100% he would be going to the Euros with a return like that if he played for a 'bigger' club.

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 2

He’s only a couple of goals behind Watkins despite only playing about 28 games this season. Minutes per goal he’s almost identical to DCL and Bamford, all of whom are much better than Watkins in that regard. I’m very surprised that in a 33 man squad Ings didn’t make the cut, I would’ve understood him not making the 26.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Absolute nonsense. He stands out because he was one of the golden boot last season. If he was "surrounded by dross" then surely he would look worse as he has worse supply. He still got 12 goals this season despite limited minutes and team form.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saint lard said:

It is amazing how you continuously spout so much crap. I have seen a lot of comments online of other fans surprised he has been left out of the squad over DCL and Watkins and they have also commented on him being England's best finisher behind Kane. Although, as mentioned above - he has had his injury troubles back this season which I guess has gone against him here.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

It would probably depend on if he phoned it in for the second half of the season for them too.

Edited by qwertyell

9 minutes ago, St Louis said:

He's played 97 games for us in the last 2.5 seasons, and scored 46 goals (he's had covid and a few niggles, but hardly glass and hardly meh). He played 30 games this season (some as sub) and scored 13 goals, which isnt a bad return when playing for a dross team.
I feel gutted for him, and find it hard to believe there are 10 attackers picked who are better than him.
100% he would be going to the Euros with a return like that if he played for a 'bigger' club.

I've also just read that he's scored the most non-penalty goals in the Premier League after Kane, since the start of last season! Would have been a useful asset.
JWP better make the final squad :classic_angry:

Ings has been scoring pretty well since coming back from injury, on form alone he probably gets in, but I think Southgate probably thinks the risk of him missing a big chunk of the tournament through injury is too high.

3 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I've also just read that he's scored the most non-penalty goals in the Premier League after Kane, since the start of last season! Would have been a useful asset.
JWP better make the final squad :classic_angry:

He won't.

Have you seen that squad and who he's competing with...

22 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Nah he’s been off form the last 6 months....  coincidentally since he was linked with spuds.  Hopefully it is a coincidence because otherwise he’s let it blow what’s probably his last chance to make the England squad

Your theory being that when a big club comes in and offers you a potential pay rise, the best strategy is to suddenly start putting in substandard performance and an unprofessional attitude?

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Your theory being that when a big club comes in and offers you a potential pay rise, the best strategy is to suddenly start putting in substandard performance and an unprofessional attitude?

No.... but Ings wouldn’t be the first player to lose form due to stuff going on off the pitch

9 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

He won't.

Have you seen that squad and who he's competing with...

I think he'll make it. We don't have that many midfielders. Most likely we drop Ramsdale/Johnstone, a rightback (probably James), White, Godfrey, Lingard, Greenwood, and Watkins. Lingard is put in the midfielders despite being a forward in every game he's played as we already have way too many forwards and not enough mids.

59 minutes ago, TWar said:

JWP made it. It is more a sign he needs to play regularly all season to get in. Could be a mark in our favour, if he sits on the bench for City or United for half a season no way he makes the world cup squad.

Alternatively if he has better players and better service around him he'll get more goals and be in the squad.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Alternatively if he has better players and better service around him he'll get more goals and be in the squad.

Yeah he needs to find somewhere he will start regularly but also get better service than here. He could go to a West Ham or Leicester but the latter probably wouldn't want him with Iheanacho doing well and bigger spots to fill elsewhere and the former are better than us this season but last they looked pretty poor so not definitely a step up. I hope we spend well on an attacking mid to convince him we mean business, we won't though.

59 minutes ago, saint lard said:

And what would we do with the cash? We don't score enough goals as things stand now.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

It should make no difference. Playing for Saints did not stop Ward-Prowse. 

The squad also contains players from... Sheff Utd, Brighton, West Brom etc

It is injuries that have stopped Ings making the squad as he had a very disjointed season, not who he plays for.

Like a Florida marlin 😂😂💦💦

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings