Danny Ings

sisi1992

The ironic thing is had the tournament taken place last year he would have been a definite and probably would have got a decent amount of game time.

If this tells him anything, and I mean with the World Cup coming up, he needs to be somewhere where he starts every match that he's fit for and the only place I think that will happen is where he is now. 

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has been suffering from Long Covid.

IMO he hasn't been the same player since he caught the virus a few months ago.

There was that incident about 35 mins into the Leeds game where he overran the ball and ran and flopped over the barrier at the Northam end.
He stayed there for a good min or so looking completely shattered.
That wouldn't have gone unnoticed by Southgate and it was only 35mins or so into the game.

4 minutes ago, Saint_John said:

There was that incident about 35 mins into the Leeds game where he overran the ball and ran and flopped over the barrier at the Northam end.
That wouldn't have gone unnoticed by Southgate and it was only 35mins or so into the game.

He was sub in that game, he wasn't on the pitch until 2nd half. 🤔

Edited by Wurzel

6 minutes ago, Saint_John said:

Is that the type that makes you miss open goals?

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Saint_John said:

Not a bad guess actually, Armstrong also suffered quite badly and took him a good few months to get back to full form.

Hopefully a full pre-season and a shiny new contract and Danny will be firing on all cylinders next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ings is over-rated. Where are the 20 goals a season that we all thought he'd deliver? Defenders find him easy to play against.

Who the hell predicted another 20 goal season?! A 20 goal season is insane, even getting one is mad. Ings got 12 goals which if he played a whole season would still be a good haul, considering how many minutes he played he scored more goals per minute than the likes of Watkins, Bamford, DCL, Aubameyang, Son, Vardy, Antonio ect. He has been absolutely fine this season.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ings is over-rated. Where are the 20 goals a season that we all thought he'd deliver? Defenders find him easy to play against.

Brilliant. Are you just trying to be the new Glasgow, or do you think you’re there yet? 

10 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Jees😳

And the 20/21 award for most obvious attempt at trolling goes to....

15 hours ago, Saint_John said:

I would, he needs his team mates to creat opportunities for him to finish, we have gone for long spells, whole games,  with creating a damn thing.

He scored an overhead kick for England this season and is IMO better than Watkins. If Saints had had a season similar to Villa’s, and had Danny not picked up niggling injuries, he’d have gone. 

Gutted for him as he’d have been included last year.

The crux of the issue now is: does Danny want playing time or is money more important to him? I can’t see him getting game time at the top level. That said it must be demoralising and frustrating to be a good player when surrounded with sub-standard players around you! 😋

• Like 2

Just now, SNSUN said:

He scored an overhead kick for England this season and is IMO better than Watkins. If Saints had had a season similar to Villa’s, and had Danny not picked up niggling injuries, he’d have gone. 

Gutted for him as he’d have been included last year.

The crux of the issue now is: does Danny want playing time or is money more important to him? I can’t see him getting game time at the top level. That said it must be demoralising and frustrating to be a good player when surrounded with sub-standard players around you! 😋

how about a final shot at winning something?

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

how about a final shot at winning something?

He'll get the Championship trophy in two years if he stays put! 😄

Seriously though it'd be a hollow victory if a team he joined won a trophy and he had very little to do with it anyway. Liverpool were his best bet (and under contract he could have stayed and got a Premier League trophy) but he came here. City and Chelsea are my bets to dominate for years now and I don't see them wanting him. United want him and is probably their best bet but with Cavani, Greenwood, Rashford and (currently) Martial there I can't see him getting that much game time. Bar cups perhaps. Even their young striker Elanga scored on the last day of the season and they may not want to block his pathway.

I can't see Liverpool taking him back so that leaves Arsenal and Spurs, neither who I can see challenging for much in the next couple of seasons.

All IMO of course.

• Like 1

I think the issue he and we have is, is that is he basically many clubs back up plan. You could see him being in a list of potential strikers for Utd, Man City, Chelsea (Spurs if Kane goes) but like 3rd/4th/5th choice on that list so we'll have a summer of seeing if those clubs get their other targets. 

45 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I think the issue he and we have is, is that is he basically many clubs back up plan. You could see him being in a list of potential strikers for Utd, Man City, Chelsea (Spurs if Kane goes) but like 3rd/4th/5th choice on that list so we'll have a summer of seeing if those clubs get their other targets. 

I reckon that’s a pretty accurate summing up of the situation.

5 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I reckon he'd be on the list of Leicester as well if I'm honest. £30m quid for a guaranteed PL goal scorer, under 30 years old....I think most clubs could stretch to that (apart from the totally skint ones like us, burnley, palace etc!)

I think Leicester could be a great fit for him. He'd be a replacement for Vardy longer-term and he'd play every week there, be interesting to see if anything materialises there.

I still see him here next season though, I just don't think he'll sign a contract. It's just if the club fancies playing that game of losing him for 0.

• Like 3

I think it was inevitable that he wouldn't have as good a season as he did a in 19/20 and that he'd get injured at some point. I think we were incredibly lucky to get a full season out of him. Will he stay? I don't think so. Having not made the Euro squad I think he'll want to move to a bigger club where he gets better service and can hopefully get himself back in the frame for the World Cup. Let's be honest, he's probably not going to make the next Euro sqaud in 3 years simply because whoever is manager will have a load more younger options available. 
I think the club will take the money as it's the only way Ralph is going to be able to bring other players in.

Shambolic really. Just at Leicester. Gao could learn a thing or two from their chairman. When the players were celebrating their FA Cup final win at Wembley, he was at the other end of the pitch handing out the new home shirt to fans.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I reckon he'd be on the list of Leicester as well if I'm honest. £30m quid for a guaranteed PL goal scorer, under 30 years old....I think most clubs could stretch to that (apart from the totally skint ones like us, burnley, palace etc!)

I think Leicester could be a great fit for him. He'd be a replacement for Vardy longer-term and he'd play every week there, be interesting to see if anything materialises there.

I still see him here next season though, I just don't think he'll sign a contract. It's just if the club fancies playing that game of losing him for 0.

Nobody is paying 30 million for Ings, not with him having one year left and with his injury record (not serious ones recently, but persistent ones which add up to a lot of games missed). We'll do well to get 20 million imo

2 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I think it was inevitable that he wouldn't have as good a season as he did a in 19/20 and that he'd get injured at some point. I think we were incredibly lucky to get a full season out of him. Will he stay? I don't think so. Having not made the Euro squad I think he'll want to move to a bigger club where he gets better service and can hopefully get himself back in the frame for the World Cup. Let's be honest, he's probably not going to make the next Euro sqaud in 3 years simply because whoever is manager will have a load more younger options available. 
I think the club will take the money as it's the only way Ralph is going to be able to bring other players in.

Shambolic really. Just at Leicester. Gao could learn a thing or two from their chairman. When the players were celebrating their FA Cup final win at Wembley, he was at the other end of the pitch handing out the new home shirt to fans.

Gao is chinese and wouldn’t be able to do anything even if he wanted to with the Chinese government

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Nobody is paying 30 million for Ings, not with him having one year left and with his injury record (not serious ones recently, but persistent ones which add up to a lot of games missed). We'll do well to get 20 million imo

didn't we spend £20m on him when he had a year left on his contract and a far more serious (recent) injury record? 

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

didn't we spend £20m on him when he had a year left on his contract and a far more serious (recent) injury record? 

Pretty sure it was at least 2 when we took him on loan, which was basically a transfer in all but name as we were guaranteed to sign him. In any case, we aren’t going to get £30m for him now.

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Pretty sure it was at least 2 when we took him on loan, which was basically a transfer in all but name as we were guaranteed to sign him. In any case, we aren’t going to get £30m for him now.

As Bob Dylan said:, he was so much younger then, he's older than that now.  He's not the player he was last year.  Certainly scores some goals that other players wouldn't but even allowing for absence through injuries, he's no longer a prolific a scorer.  Even if he stays, and with Nathan Tella coming through, it feels as if we need another quality striker, in which case do we actually need Danny if he can only be counted on for about 20 games?        

34 minutes ago, Professor said:

Certainly scores some goals that other players wouldn't but even allowing for absence through injuries, he's no longer a prolific a scorer.  

He is very much a prolific scoring allowing for injuries. 12 goals in under 2200 minutes this season. If he remained injury free and played about 3200 (35.5 games, which is a pretty reasonable mostly injury-free season) then he'd be on course for about 18 goals, which would have him as as the leagues third best scorer, level with Bruno. Last season he didn't get injured and was second. I'm not sure whether it's sour grapes or that last season really spoiled people, but when Danny plays he is lethal. He just needs to stay fit.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

iheanacho seems to have stepped up to be the main man there, you'd think Ings and Vardy would compete for the other slot if he were to join them. Despite all the talk of him leaving the reality is he's going to be about 4th or 5th down the list of all the big clubs. I can see him going to West Ham sadly, they need a striker, pay big money and can offer European football. 

1 hour ago, Professor said:

As Bob Dylan said:, he was so much younger then, he's older than that now.  He's not the player he was last year.  Certainly scores some goals that other players wouldn't but even allowing for absence through injuries, he's no longer a prolific a scorer.  Even if he stays, and with Nathan Tella coming through, it feels as if we need another quality striker, in which case do we actually need Danny if he can only be counted on for about 20 games?        

Call me a pedant, but Dylan's lyrics were exactly the opposite:

Flung down by corpse evangelists, unthought of, though somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now
A self-ordained professor's tongue too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty is just equality in school

12 minutes ago, beancounter saint said:
Call me a pedant, but Dylan's lyrics were exactly the opposite:

Flung down by corpse evangelists, unthought of, though somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now
A self-ordained professor's tongue too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty is just equality in school

Beat me to it

On 25/05/2021 at 14:25, Whitey Grandad said:

And what would we do with the cash? We don't score enough goals as things stand now.

Actually we scored more goals than anyone else in the bottom half this season bar Villa and the same as Everton. Conceding has been our real problem - remember the stat of points lost from a winning position? A horrific stat for sure, but only possible because we scored to put ourselves in a winning position in the first place. 

16 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Possibly but you'd think Iheanacho's resurge might see them focus elsewhere, especially as Vardy still seems to be going strong as well.  Also replacing a 35 year old with a soon to be 29 year old with a not great injury history seems not how Leicester operate. They haven't signed anyone over the age of 25 permanently since Evans, who was a free and that was 3 seasons ago. 

Maybe next year if he stayed with us and was free. But I think Leicester operate basically like us, sign up and coming younger players with an eye to selling them, they have just been better at it over the last 3-4 years than us and tend to put more up front than we do.  You are still talking at least £20 million plus probably over £100k a week, and probably a 4 year contract on someone who is 29 and has the injury record he has. 

That's a £40 million plus outlay with virtually no re-sale value, that is the probably the issue Ings has himself, not many clubs in this current climate can afford that I reckon. Even a club like Chelsea don't give more than 1 year contracts to people over 30, so they are unlikely to give him a 4-5 year deal. 

Edit: Also the transfer rumours about Edouard seem to suggest that him going there he'd be behind Vardy and Iheanacho. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Pretty decent from an injury hit season, and from one who were nearly * relegated

But then again, some people just like to moan about shit. 'Cos, why not...

950901751_Screenshot2021-05-27at09_24_29.thumb.png.c4c9e77f4e5500a49c8fac8fcb50239d.png

*by people who are also capable of pissing their beds

And not only that, every one above him except for Kane (no fee but worth fuck knows now) Vardy and Bamford cost more than him as well, some considerably more. Even this season ( poor compared to last) represented great value for money.

21 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

And not only that, every one above him except for Kane (no fee but worth fuck knows now) Vardy and Bamford cost more than him as well, some considerably more. Even this season ( poor compared to last) represented great value for money.

And dont many of them take Penalties?

51 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

the big thing I noticed from the kit launch was no Ings (says a lot about the shirt)....that the club aren't confident he will be around next season.

We only had 4 active players in it, by my count, I wouldn't say it proves that much.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

the big thing I noticed from the kit launch was no Ings (says a lot about the shirt)....that the club aren't confident he will be around next season.

we had one white english bloke, who was our captain so no room or need for another.  We had a black young player, a mix race Scot and a European latin so all boxes ticked.

20 hours ago, TWar said:

We only had 4 active players in it, by my count, I wouldn't say it proves that much.

I would say that Ings is the most charismatic guy in front of the camera that it is in our squad so to leave him out of the kit launch says a lot to me too.....

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

I would say that Ings is the most charismatic guy in front of the camera that it is in our squad so to leave him out of the kit launch says a lot to me too.....

Yep. If he had signed a deal, he’s on the promotional launch without a doubt. 

26 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yep. If he had signed a deal, he’s on the promotional launch without a doubt. 

If he'd signed a deal they would announce it immediately. No sense holding off. He hasn't signed, but we are confident he will depending on the offers that come in and quality of clubs. I think that is still the case and the kit release doesn't change that.

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

If he'd signed a deal they would announce it immediately. No sense holding off. He hasn't signed, but we are confident he will depending on the offers that come in and quality of clubs. I think that is still the case and the kit release doesn't change that.

When did I say he’d signed a deal? What I’m saying is if he had signed one (I.e committed to staying) then he’d be on the promotion. He hasn’t committed to staying, so he’s not on there. Which to me would suggest the club aren’t as ‘confident’ he’ll stay as they are suggesting. 

From the bits I’ve heard, this was a few months back mind, I’ll be amazed if he stays. I think the issue is, he’s second / 3rd choice of a few clubs so this one will drag on. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings