Danny Ings

sisi1992

Gutted to see Danny go but this deal makes sense for the club. Just pleased he didn't go to Spurs and at least we get time to buy a replacement in this window. He'll obviously be getting paid a huge wedge from Villa but, other than that, it doesn't sound the sort of move most of us were expecting for Danny.

19 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Are you serious? We should be rejoicing because we have signed a guy who is going to be great cover for our fullback position? We need guys on the pitch now, not next year. Fact is if we don't get a goalscorer in we are going to struggle big time. I'll reserve judgement to see who we bring in.

Who said anything about rejoicing? We haven’t even signed his replacement yet. If Obafemi is part of the AA deal and we get rid of Long somehow, we may even get two more attackers in. The point is we appear, on the face of it, much stronger at FB already and other than Ings we’ve lost nobody of any importance.

Yeah I think i’m over this one already tbh. If ever there’s a time to lose a star player, it’s probably when you haven’t seen your team live for nearly two years. I just wanna go back to a game, couldn’t care if we’re fielding the U23’s tbh.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Who said anything about rejoicing? We haven’t even signed his replacement yet. If Obafemi is part of the AA deal and we get rid of Long somehow, we may even get two more attackers in. The point is we appear, on the face of it, much stronger at FB already and other than Ings we’ve lost nobody of any importance.

So, other than our top scorer we have lost nobody of any importance!!! 
Oh dear oh dear …..

1 hour ago, Markyruk said:

Good business by the club as long as the money is invested well. Although he’s a proven goal scorer I’ve always felt that Danny’s lack of real pace has hindered our attacking options. 

Good bit of business for a striker with his injury record and who will walk for free next season just like Bertrand did this season. I'd have been happy this time last year to have gotten a fee for Bertrand of around 8-10M. The club obviously didn't want to go through the same with Ings in 12 months. Good job Saints.

1 hour ago, Hawkswood said:

Im not a bitter or petty person by nature, but to leave us for Villa. Villa !!

What a fucking snake. What a fucking mercenary. Nothing to do with trophys. Nothing to do with Champions League. Just money. Like what we offered him was shite !! He might be "" a good bloke "" and all that, but I wont be shedding a tear if he ruptures something again.

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if this is something similar to Koeman/Fonte departures.

Wanted a top 6 club, acted like a bit of dick to push that, no top 6 club came in and ended up burning his bridges so ended up with only one option.

They both, more than likely, earned a pretty penny out of it, but didn't get the move they wanted. 

haha blimey didn't expect to wake up to this, what has Ings done. Would have forgiven him for pushing a move for European football but to another club who will be midtable with us is a bit wanky, especially after offering him a decent wage rise.

Shame, anyway, thanks for the goals but don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

25m too....cheers. Lets hope we spend it wisely.

• Like 2

It’s not a surprise he’s gone after failing to sign a good contract offer, but not to do so for his supposed boyhood club is somewhat disappointing. The club was forced into the position so can’t grumble at the fee received - it’s a good deal as others have said. The issue will be who we replace him with…even if we replace him.

This evening we looked lame against a poor Levante side. Yes there are more players in the squad, but the overall quality of the squad has dipped significantly with Bertrand and Ings departure. Ely and Redmond are both looking ineffective in terms of attacking threat, so if Armstrong or Walcott go missing Adams and Tella will likely have barren games.

Not writing the season off just yet, but fails to replace Ings with a high quality striker and I think we’ll struggle again.

glad that he has gone, he would have just coasted through the season like he has the last 6 months. towards the end of last season we looked much better with tella on the pitch and ings on the bench

obviously disappointed with it being villa

also not as happy as others with the fee. if  we are being quoted 15m for armstrong then we surely should be getting 30m+ for ings. very interested to see who the club will get to replace him. with this money does it put us in with a shout with abraham? 

8 minutes ago, Maya's Dad said:

replacing him with a championship striker would be hugely underwhelming and flirting with relegation

Why are you writing him off due to the league he plays in? Ings also used to be a Championship striker and didn't score as many goals as Armstrong just did in it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why are you writing him off due to the league he plays in? Ings also used to be a Championship striker and didn't score as many goals as Armstrong just did in it.

because the championship isn't the premiership. scoring a load of goals in the championship doesn't mean it will translate to the premiership. adams is the perfect example of that. why am i not entitled to think that it would be a big risk for the club to do so? it is my opinion that replacing ings inadequately could cost the club in the long run. still waiting to see how the club will react.

meanwhile if you are satisfied with us replacing with armstrong or any other championship player then fair enough thats your view, im not sold though

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Maya's Dad said:

because the championship isn't the premiership. scoring a load of goals in the championship doesn't mean it will translate to the premiership. adams is the perfect example of that. why am i not entitled to think that it would be a big risk for the club to do so? it is my opinion that replacing ings inadequately could cost the club in the long run. still waiting to see how the club will react.

meanwhile if you are satisfied with us replacing with armstrong or any other championship player then fair enough thats your view, im not sold though

We can't afford to go and buy any of the proven premier league strikers, the only one who might come to us is Abraham and 1. We can't afford him and 2. He's not overly proven as a regular scorer anyway. 

You mention Adams struggling but being in and out of the side last season he still scored just 3 less than Ings last season. If he scores 3 more this season then we only need to find 9 extra goals from a new striker and spread amongst the team to match Ings' contribution. 

The real issue is whether we concede less. We can concede just 10 goals less than last season and pick up an extra 10-20 points because of it. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Maya's Dad said:

Adams scored only 3 league goals less than Ings last season. So I don't know why you are being so dismissive of him.

I don't write off players based on the league they have come from.

Did you write off Mane, van Dijk, Pelle, Tadic, Wanyama etc because they didn't have Premier League experience?

It isn't the Premiership and hasn't been since 2007.

• Like 1

There are parallels here with Fonte, who had a good tournament with Portugal and convinced himself he was top 6 quality and decided to go. But there were no takers so he had to save face and go somewhere (West Ham) and insist it was a good deal. He could have done as well, except financially, by staying.

Ings had one stellar season when he got 20 goals and avoided injury. Then the story is as above. No top 6 takers, has to accept Villa and presumably more money to actually move.

For what it’s worth, Fonte was the bigger loss. He’s still going strong. Danny’s now in a randomly assembled team of money chasers and with his injury record, has very limited shelf life.

• Like 3

If Spurs and bloody Levy had come in for Ings, I suspect he'd have been off for around £15 million and people on here would have been declaring it was inevitable. The fact he's gone to Villa for nigh on double that and some people are up in arms. 

He wanted to go and had one year contract. Yes he's one of our better strikers from our second Premier League era (and probably our first too!) but we have been well compensated for his loss, well over what most of us thought we'd get for him.

Villa are a rich club with money to spend and can blow us out the water on wages and transfer fees, of course they're going to want to try to better themselves and have the money to do so. We don't have a pot to piss in and, while that is very wrong and annoying for us as fans, that is simply the situation we are in and we as a club have to soldier on as best we can. Villa however need to take a note out of Everton's book, you can spend lots of money but stagnate.

We need to finish 4th bottom as a base marker. Even with the players we have now we can do that IMO. But we have nearly a month left of the transfer window and I firmly feel we will see players come in that we need for a more comfortable season.

The thing that sucks is the timing of it, shortly before the season begins. If the club doesn't bring in a striker by this time next week then it will be worrying but for us to accept the Ings deal so quickly surely may mean we needed the cash to spend on someone else that we already have in the pipeline. Armstrong would be my guess. Still i wish it had been done earlier in the window if anything. 

I wish Ings the best of luck there but his injury record makes this a risk for them. We now have to let this episode die and concentrate on the future and trying to find a striker to replace him. Apart from his 22 goal Premier League haul the season before last, remember last season he got 12 and the first season he was here on loan he got 9. It can't be too hard to replace those goals, even Adams has shown he score the latter and is seemingly getting better.

Our strikers the season before Ings arrived were Carrillo, Long, Austin and Gabbiadini. I'm reckon we will be fine without Ings. Had we kept him, next season he'd have been off for free and we'd have had no money to replace him. Then we'd have been scrambling around for a loan or Bosman, or would have had to sell an asset to replace him AND whatever asset we sold to do so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Gutted to see Danny go but this deal makes sense for the club. Just pleased he didn't go to Spurs and at least we get time to buy a replacement in this window. He'll obviously be getting paid a huge wedge from Villa but, other than that, it doesn't sound the sort of move most of us were expecting for Danny.

I agree. The rumours had mentioned City or Spurs, mostly. A bit of a sideways move going to Villa but I suppose it clears the way for Grealish to go. Too much to hope for that a swap might be on the cards. 🤞😁

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

haha blimey didn't expect to wake up to this, what has Ings done. Would have forgiven him for pushing a move for European football but to another club who will be midtable with us is a bit wanky, especially after offering him a decent wage rise.

Shame, anyway, thanks for the goals but don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

25m too....cheers. Lets hope we spend it wisely.

They’ll be good this season. We won’t be midtable

3 minutes ago, DT said:

When Grealish was injured last season Villa struggled without him. Ings has big boots to fill if he is Grealish's replacement. Ings will have to hope for a season like 2019-2020 and no injuries and he hasn't had many of those. Time will tell.  

6 minutes ago, DT said:

I think that's far from certain. Fulham splashed £100m randomly but it didn't make a team. Relegated. Villa have lost their talisman and it all depends on whether all the new players actually work together.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I think that's far from certain. Fulham splashed £100m randomly but it didn't make a team. Relegated. Villa have lost their talisman and it all depends on whether all the new players actually work together.

Buendia is a serious player. Bailey is also supposed to be very good. Ings will get decent service and will probably score 20 goals again. 

I think they’re a CB short of a very good team. 

• Like 1

For me, the most telling thing will be if it comes out what salary we offered him (apparently would have made him our highest ever paid player) and what he's taken at Villa. If there's little difference it clearly wouldn't be for the money, you can't cite ambition as this is not the big move rumoured he'd only leave us for, it can only be he really wasn't happy here and just wanted out.

He's a top striker, should be battling for honours not relegation scraps with a side that can lose 9-0 two seasons running, but he's knocking 30, injury-prone and in his last year of a contract, £30m is a welcome softener.

7 minutes ago, DT said:

They’ll be good this season.

Doubtful of this, don't rate Smith as a manager and have to wonder how much he was propped up in the dressing room by John Terry who has now left. 

They were awful without Grealish last year, truly awful. 

Now yes they have made some decent signings but question marks over all of them.

Ings obviously has his injury issues, plus are they dropping Watkins or playing two up front, how will that impact their style of play.

Bailey is extremely hot and cold, he's quick and direct, but plenty of wingers with pace have come with decent reputations to the PL and not done much, Villa have one in Traore. He's been linked over the years with bigger clubs but none have ever tried to get him, Dortmund and Bayern tend to snap up the best Bundesliga talent, and Dortmund have literally just lost a player in a similar position and you'd think might be interested for what seems a reasonable fee, yet he's ending up going to a midtable PL club.

Buendia, very good in the championship last year but last time in the PL looked good at times but didn't actually have much impact.

Defensively they are not great, shown by how good their keeper had to be, is he going to be as good again.

Plenty of teams over the year as well thrown some money at big signings and then not really gelled or performed, you don't form good teams overnight. 

We'll see, but I don't think it's a given they will be better than us. Personally I think we have the better balance in our squad (and we have more signings to come), better style of play and the better manager. 

• Like 1

It’s a shame for Ings because I think he really could’ve done a job for a big club, even as back up to a Kane/Lukaku. But I can imagine we got £30mil off Villa so that they could get it done asap before those bigger clubs come at the end of the window, I don’t think Spurs/City/Chelsea would’ve paid £30mil imo.

2 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

It’s a shame for Ings because I think he really could’ve done a job for a big club, even as back up to a Kane/Lukaku. But I can imagine we got £30mil off Villa so that they could get it done asap before those bigger clubs come at the end of the window, I don’t think Spurs/City/Chelsea would’ve paid £30mil imo.

I highly doubt big clubs were interested in Ings. If they were he could have held out for them rather than going to a mid table team.

5 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

For me, the most telling thing will be if it comes out what salary we offered him (apparently would have made him our highest ever paid player) and what he's taken at Villa. If there's little difference it clearly wouldn't be for the money, you can't cite ambition as this is not the big move rumoured he'd only leave us for, it can only be he really wasn't happy here and just wanted out.

He's a top striker, should be battling for honours not relegation scraps with a side that can lose 9-0 two seasons running, but he's knocking 30, injury-prone and in his last year of a contract, £30m is a welcome softener.

According to the Athletic he will receive £120k a week at Villa. Reports suggest that we were offering £100k. He has signed for 3 years at Villa. We were offering 4 years which you think would be more attractive to a 29 year old with his injury record.

He must have been really keen on getting away from us ....

2 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

According to the Athletic he will receive £120k a week at Villa. Reports suggest that we were offering £100k. He has signed for 3 years at Villa. We were offering 4 years which you think would be more attractive to a 29 year old with his injury record.

He must have been really keen on getting away from us ....

Perhaps he also had a sizeable sign on fee or associated bonuses? Otherwise the maths do not add up at all do they?

Edited by goodymatt

5 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Good point but only understood by the reasonable posters on here

You clearly don’t understand anything 🤡🤡

Grealish had a release clause in his contract. Villa offered to better the offer he got at city. 

They tried and done all they physically could to keep him. 

14 minutes ago, SKD said:

Buendia is a serious player. Bailey is also supposed to be very good. Ings will get decent service and will probably score 20 goals again. 

I think they’re a CB short of a very good team. 

No matter how good they are, they need a good manager/coach to build them into a team. Smith isn't that 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

You clearly don’t understand anything 🤡🤡

Grealish had a release clause in his contract. Villa offered to better the offer he got at city. 

They tried and done all they physically could to keep him. 

But you dismiss the fact that we try to do the same becuse it suits your agenda.

You have no idea what Villa offered just chose to believe it, but if we said we offered DI A deal to better Villa`s you would dismiss it as rubbish.

You go to any lengths to slag the club off with zero real evidence to back up your agenda

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

But you dismiss the fact that we try to do the same becuse it suits your agenda.

You have no idea what Villa offered just chose to believe it, but if we said we offered DI A deal to better Villa`s you would dismiss it as rubbish.

You go to any lengths to slag the club off with zero real evidence to back up your agenda

He’s clearly left for money, which would suggest we haven’t matched the offer.. wouldn’t it? 

If he hasn’t left for money, that’s even more concerning as it would suggest he’s left because we’re shit. 

Let’s get things right, leaving Villa for City is in no way the same as leaving Us for Villa. 

🤡🤡🤡🤡

Edited by SKD

3 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

So true.

It’s not though, is it? The proof is in the pudding. He’s either left for financial reasons, or he’s left because villa are are better club. 

Either is pretty concerning. 

Edited by SKD

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings